wireless flash on NEX 7

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions
macsoft3
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
Re: wireless flash on NEX 7
In reply to windowsmaclinux, Feb 9, 2013

windowsmaclinux wrote:

I've got the 20AM to wirelessly fire the 42AM on my NEX-6 (and it should be same on the 7). No it is not optical if what you're thinking of is the remote flash simply fires when it senses a flash pulse from the triggering flash. If that's the case then the built in popup flash on the NEX-7 could have been the commander and you won't have wireless TTL. If you read the link I sent the triggering flash actually sends a complex sequence of light signals to the remote flash, instructing to fire a metering burst, then tell the remote flash how much power to put out and then tell it to actually fire to illuminate the scene. That's why you need the 20AM because it can send out these complex instructions to the remote flash. Also, the light spillage is very small.

I do not see why people are complicating this "No it is not optical if what you're thinking of is the remote flash simply fires when it senses a flash pulse from the triggering flash."

If the COMMUNICATION is done by light pulses, THEN ITS OPTICAL. " the triggering flash actually sends a complex sequence of light signals" OPTICAL THEN! what? if the NEX 7 has a built in flash, if can't be programed to send a "complex" sequence of light signals?

But i'm passed that, OK its optical, and they somehow dont want to make the built in flash to send the light signaling..

QUESTION: How can I trigger a flash inside a soft box WITH TTL  with my NEX 7?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John_Y
Regular MemberPosts: 488Gear list
Like?
Invented by Minolta in 80's
In reply to macsoft3, Feb 10, 2013

Still in use today . See Excellent article by Gary

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/flash.htm

-- hide signature --

John Y
http://jyoung.smugmug.com/photos/245122374_LK8W2-Th.gif
'You never know what you CAN see'

John_Y's gear list:John_Y's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Canon Pixma Pro-100
windowsmaclinux
Regular MemberPosts: 249
Like?

The "optical slave" I mentioned in the beginning of the last post is a so-called dumb triggering mechanism meaning the slave flash will fire at full power (or whatever power you set it to manually) in response to any flash pulse, including the preflash which of course is a bad thing in this case. To make it work is very easy. You can buy a small optical slave unit and put it on any flash and it will work, meaning there is no need for the remote flash to have a dedicated receiver on the flash body. It's there to read the Morse code communication signals. In a sense this optical slave no difference from radio trigger except for the range/reliability. That's why I was trying to draw a distinction between this dumb optical mechanism from the wireless communication between the flashes in the Sony system. The latter is a lot more capable.

I think the most reliable way to fire a flash in a soft box is a radio trigger (pocket wizard and the likes) because you don't want TTL anyway.

And no you don't need to shout at me to make your point. Thank you.

LifeIsAVerb
Contributing MemberPosts: 988
Like?
Re: Invented by Minolta in 80's
In reply to John_Y, Feb 10, 2013

John_Y wrote:

Still in use today . See Excellent article by Gary

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/flash.htm

-- hide signature --

John Y
http://jyoung.smugmug.com/photos/245122374_LK8W2-Th.gif
'You never know what you CAN see'

Good info there, thanks! That's the kind of explanation i've been looking for.

(Yellow type on the grey background, though…makes your eyes spin.)

nosnoop
Senior MemberPosts: 1,691
Like?

macsoft3 wrote:

So if its optical, and if you stick it inside a softbox it does not work, how do the professionals do it?

Reflected or bounced light would also work.

For example, I can have my remote flash mounted with an umbrella with the flash facing towards the umbrella (one of my remote flash does not have swivel) and it would still work.

Yes i have an RF trigger i can use, but no TTL.

There is no professional option to trigger remote flashes with TTL with the NEX 7?

There are 3rd party RF TTL wireless trigger such as Pixel King and Phottix Odin. The latter is quite expensive, but Phottix has announced a cheaper system for Sony at Photokina, but it is not yet available.

And you have system like Aokatec AK-TTL which convert the optical signal to RF.   Does not look very elegant in the set up, but I supposed it can get the job done.

nosnoop
Senior MemberPosts: 1,691
Like?
In reply to windowsmaclinux, Feb 10, 2013

windowsmaclinux wrote:

I think the most reliable way to fire a flash in a soft box is a radio trigger (pocket wizard and the likes) because you don't want TTL anyway.

Why not?

TTL works great for soft box.

macsoft3
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?

windowsmaclinux wrote:

The "optical slave" I mentioned in the beginning of the last post is a so-called dumb triggering mechanism meaning the slave flash will fire at full power (or whatever power you set it to manually) in response to any flash pulse, including the preflash which of course is a bad thing in this case. To make it work is very easy. You can buy a small optical slave unit and put it on any flash and it will work, meaning there is no need for the remote flash to have a dedicated receiver on the flash body. It's there to read the Morse code communication signals. In a sense this optical slave no difference from radio trigger except for the range/reliability. That's why I was trying to draw a distinction between this dumb optical mechanism from the wireless communication between the flashes in the Sony system. The latter is a lot more capable.

optical slave is still optical. you complicate things by starting with "its not optical..." The post is to find out if the NEX system is optical or RF.

Still no answer to my question anybody?

How to trigger a flash inside a soft box with TTL with my NEX 7?

rtex42
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?

If you are concerned about light from the '20' affecting the image, Gary Friedman recommends adding a DIY IR filter to the flash.

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/Writings/friedman-hvl.pdf

Rick

-- hide signature --

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

rtex42's gear list:rtex42's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
rtex42
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
In reply to LifeIsAVerb, Feb 10, 2013

Optics is the branch of physics which involves the behaviour and properties of light, including its interactions with matter and the construction of instruments that use or detect it.[1] Optics usually describes the behaviour of visible, ultraviolet, and infrared light.

-- hide signature --

rtex42's gear list:rtex42's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
dpdog
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?

windowsmaclinux wrote:

optical slave is still optical. you complicate things by starting with "its not optical..." The post is to find out if the NEX system is optical or RF.

Still no answer to my question anybody?

How to trigger a flash inside a soft box with TTL with my NEX 7?

Asked and answered a few times.... Let this drop already.

Pixel King and Phottix Odin have systems to give you radio frequency TTL flash even from inside your softbox. I don't have either, but I've heard great things about the Pixel King system.

windowsmaclinux
Regular MemberPosts: 249
Like?
In reply to rtex42, Feb 10, 2013

Yeah from my field of study I know exactly what the word means scientifically but that might differ from the practical usage of that word. I was just trying to alert the OP to the small difference between optical slave and wireless slave. If we insist on using the optical in its scientifically correct sense then there are only 2 kinds of triggering: direct (on the shoe or sync cord) and optical (optical slave, wireless and radio trigger because they are all part of the EM spectrum).

LifeIsAVerb
Contributing MemberPosts: 988
Like?
In reply to rtex42, Feb 10, 2013

rtex42 wrote:

Optics is the branch of physics which involves the behaviour and properties of light, including its interactions with matter and the construction of instruments that use or detect it.[1] Optics usually describes the behaviour of visible, ultraviolet, and infrared light.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the clarification!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads