DP2 Merrill battery help

Started Feb 8, 2013 | Questions
nandadevieast
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
DP2 Merrill battery help
Feb 8, 2013

Guys, i ordered 2 ricoh db-65 from keyboardshop.in, well, without reading the fine print. 
Today i got the batteries of the similar specs, but not the original ricoh ones. 
Worst thing is, they have somewhat different grooves at the bottom, so the battery goes in but doesn't lock itself in. 
Sigma BP41 has 2 grooves at the bottom which are bigger area wise...
Is there a solution? How do i cut the grooves to make it fit in...
someone who has done this?

anurag

ANSWER:
Sigma DP2 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Antone
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?
Re: DP2 Merrill battery help
In reply to nandadevieast, Feb 8, 2013

My advice is to return it and buy the Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Ricoh DB-65 from Amazon.

-- hide signature --

Tony-S

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rick decker
Forum ProPosts: 12,177
Like?
In reply to nandadevieast, Feb 8, 2013

with a sharp knife, you can cut the two notches to the depth you need.  Be careful that you don't cut too far.

jcollier
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
In reply to nandadevieast, Feb 9, 2013

nandadevieast wrote:

Guys, i ordered 2 ricoh db-65 from keyboardshop.in, well, without reading the fine print.
Today i got the batteries of the similar specs, but not the original ricoh ones.
Worst thing is, they have somewhat different grooves at the bottom, so the battery goes in but doesn't lock itself in.

anurag

I bought  8 of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380347124667?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

on ebay for about $35 total, with free shipping. These are the same batteries that I use in my Panasonic FX150. I used a pocket knife to cut the small notches on the base of the battery as other posters have described. It is quite easy and takes less than a minute per battery. I typically get about 100 shots per battery with my DP2M (depending on usage). They still work fine in my FX150 as well (after the mod). I get about 300 shots per battery on the 14 megapixel Panasonic, so the battery life is fairly linear.

-- hide signature --

jcollier

nandadevieast
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
In reply to rick decker, Feb 9, 2013

rick decker wrote:

with a sharp knife, you can cut the two notches to the depth you need. Be careful that you don't cut too far.

its a solid plastic block...wonder if it can be done

rick decker
Forum ProPosts: 12,177
Like?

I have drilled it with 2 or 3 and used a knife to cut the plastic with another 4 or 5.  Although hard, it is not tough to cut. I have about 7 or 8 that I have done.  I just use the knife and then pry off with a small flat-head screwdriver.Leaves a hole into the battery case so if you get nervous about it, you can fill it with some plastique.

R

SigmaChrome
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,195Gear list
Like?
In reply to rick decker, Feb 9, 2013

You can also use a hot knife or hobby knife. It takes a few moments per battery but you do need to be careful and do it somewhere well ventilated.

rick decker wrote:

with a sharp knife, you can cut the two notches to the depth you need. Be careful that you don't cut too far.

-- hide signature --
 SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD14 +13 more
Goldfinger234
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?

nandadevieast wrote:

I bought 2 of the following batteries recently. They are identical to Sigma's own and fit perfectly, no DIY necessary.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390512493287

They must be available in the USA as well.

Goldfinger234
Like?

nandadevieast wrote:

anurag

This is the replacement battery alongside a Sigma original from my DP2M. Taken with my phone so please excuse the quality.

The replacement fits the camera just like the original, ejects without any problems. no need to modify anything. Hope it helps.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Hardy Steiner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,012
Like?
In reply to Goldfinger234, Mar 14, 2013

I just realized that your replacement batteries have 3.7V whereas the Sigma ones have 3.6V. Can this cause any problems?

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Hardy
==================
Join the Sigma DP Macro Group on:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_dp_macro/
My pictures on:
On Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy

Hornbrille
Regular MemberPosts: 302Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hardy Steiner, Mar 14, 2013

Hardy Steiner wrote:

I just realized that your replacement batteries have 3.7V whereas the Sigma ones have 3.6V. Can this cause any problems?

No. It's just a more optimistic declaration of the manufacturer. Voltage will be sucked down by the camera as soon as you switch it on.

Uwe 8-)

Hornbrille's gear list:Hornbrille's gear list
Sigma DP2 Quattro
Hardy Steiner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,012
Like?
In reply to Hornbrille, Mar 14, 2013

Ok, thanks a lot for clarifying this. I ordered one of these ... a good bargain.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Hardy
==================
Join the Sigma DP Macro Group on:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_dp_macro/
My pictures on:
On Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy

Goldfinger234
Like?
In reply to Hardy Steiner, Mar 14, 2013

I've been using the replacement quite a bit and the camera works perfectly. I work with commercial HVAC control panels and this slight variation, even if it exists, will make no difference whatsoever.

Harold66
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,545Gear list
Like?
In reply to Antone, Mar 14, 2013

For your info , I got the wasabi batteries for my ricoh GXR  and they last  less long than the ricoh original batteries .

I noticed the same for the third party batteries for my OMD

in top of that the charger is a few mm too short so the ricoh batteries fall of the charger

I know it is a few dollars more but I would not get anything else than the bp-41 or the ricoh branded db-65

Not worth the hassle if you ask me

Harold

-- hide signature --

www.harold-glit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 +16 more
Goldfinger234
Like?
In reply to Harold66, Mar 15, 2013

To be honest, normally I'd say the same thing myself, but in this instance the generic battery is identical, fits the charger like a glove, and works perfectly. I've also been getting about the same exposures per charge as my 2 genuine Sigma batteries. I've really got no complains at all.

BMacW
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
In reply to Goldfinger234, May 31, 2013

Just want to drop in and tell everyone this solution to charge multiple batteries with one charger.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/commercial-vendor-sales-services/46172-sigma-dp-merrill-ricoh-gr-v-charger.html

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads