Comments please on photo wanted 5D MIII

Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions
billorg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094
Like?
Comments please on photo wanted 5D MIII
Feb 8, 2013

Are there any redeeming qualities to this picture I took? Canon 5DMIII and Sigma 12-24 @12mm Just really wanted to test this lens out and we had a nice day. Comments please, thanks. Click "View: original size" link to see best quality - it definitely loses impact the way it looks below. Bill

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,895Gear list
Like?
Re: Comments please on photo wanted 5D MIII
In reply to billorg, Feb 8, 2013

I see what you like about this picture.

If it were me, I would crop it differently to remove some distractions, and make the horizon less centered.  Also would clone out some of the distracting elements like the white stakes, and small bright objects.

Enjoy your camera & lens.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
andrewsf
Contributing MemberPosts: 532Gear list
Like?

I think technically it's very good. I love the B&W converstion.

Either the crop or the position you shot from relative to the foreground objects seems a bit strange. There's a lot of empty grass before the trees. It would be interesting to see variations on this.

not sure if you do this often, but I find myself doing it more now I shoot film. I look at the image in the viewfinder and think to myself. Would I print this? Then I move around a bit, repeat the question. Ask myself why not, keep moving etc.

With digital you have the benefit of taking all of these different views and culling them later.

In saying that, if you shaved about 15-20% off the bottom of this image giving a wider aspect ratio, I think it would look better

andrewsf's gear list:andrewsf's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +1 more
JohnMatrix
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?

billorg wrote:

Are there any redeeming qualities to this picture I took? Canon 5DMIII and Sigma 12-24 @12mm Just really wanted to test this lens out and we had a nice day. Comments please, thanks. Click "View: original size" link to see best quality - it definitely loses impact the way it looks below. Bill

I'm afraid it doesn't do anything for me.  e.g. not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at. The house is too far away, the trees are uninteresting and the grass and the sky are a bit boring (I guess you could try cropping out the bottom part of the grass and also PPing the sky a bit more to make it look more dramatic).

If it was a photo of my house I might think differently about it though.

indusbreed
Contributing MemberPosts: 560Gear list
Like?

I would crop to show less of the grass on the foreground. Pull shadows on the sky. Subtle vignetting and see how it looks.

indusbreed's gear list:indusbreed's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Marquee
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?

What do you want us to look at? One of the trees or the house in the distance? Nicely processed but no focus to the image, nothing that intersting to look at that isnt very small. How about going to the building and finding an intersting angle on that.

Marquee's gear list:Marquee's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +2 more
cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 735
Like?

Nice picture; I guess the main thing I would suggest with wide angle is to have either a dramatic landscape to bring it all in, dramatic sky against a low horizon to emphasize the size of the sky relative to subjects on the ground, or (especially this) a relatively close-up view of a primary subject with a bit of dramatic distortion (not a person, a thing) and immersed in the context of the environment. There needs to be a subject, I would say. Maybe get closer to one of the trees or the house itself at an interesting angle and show it at 12 mm surrounded by the sky and land. Good processing.

billorg
Like?
In reply to cpkuntz, Feb 8, 2013

Thank you for the opinions, I was lost as to what to think about the image. I initially planned  to shoot this picture for the old home, but it seemed to take a backseat to what was the sweeping open areas when I cranked it to 12mm - so I guess I got sucked into that - plus I wasn't able to walk closer which would have been what I'd normally do, so I did the best I could at that distance. I did take a lot more of them, let me see if any others are closer to what some of you describe. Bill

JLim22
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?

Isn't 12-24 for crop sensor?

It works on full-frame?

JLim22's gear list:JLim22's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
JLim22
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?
nvm.... n/t
In reply to JLim22, Feb 8, 2013

nvm.

JLim22's gear list:JLim22's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
billorg
Like?

Here are some UNPROCESSED images I took at the same time.  Can you tell me just for composition if there are any others you like better than the original image I posted in B&W?  Or maybe they all suck?  Thank you!  It really helps to hear what you think.  Again, please click the View Original Size link.  Bill

#1 below

#2 below

#3 below

#4 below

#5 below

#6 below

#7 below

#8 below

billorg
Like?

Hi, no it's for full frame (one of only 2 ultra wide lenses I know of the other being the Canon 14mm)

Bill

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,024Gear list
Like?

No, I don't feel any redeeming qualities to this image aside from testing your lens.  This photo, to me, is taken with too short a focal lenght (too wide a view) because your subjects (trees) are so far away.  There is no foreground.  Get close to your subjects.  An ultra wide angle lens requires you to be very close to your subject in order for it to not look like it was taken with an ultra wide angle lens.  I have a Sigma 12-24 but rarely use it and should sell it.

billorg wrote:

Are there any redeeming qualities to this picture I took? Canon 5DMIII and Sigma 12-24 @12mm Just really wanted to test this lens out and we had a nice day.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,024Gear list
Like?
In reply to billorg, Feb 9, 2013

What are you trying to take a picture of?  If you are trying to take a photo of the building, you are much too far away from it with much too short a lens.

billorg
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Feb 9, 2013

Yes, as I said, I was mainly testing the lens and thought I'd be able to get closer to the house that I ended up being able to (I was already trespassing and didn't want to push it - it is not a private home, but in a somewhat secured area).  Believe me, the area I live in is TERRIBLY ugly with nothing you'd ever want to photograph, so this was the best I could do.  Bill

BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 19,094
Like?
I like the airplane

If the mansion means anything to you, it's a good shot.

Great grandchildren will value the print.

BAK

aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,059Gear list
Like?

billorg wrote:

Are there any redeeming qualities to this picture I took? Canon 5DMIII and Sigma 12-24 @12mm Just really wanted to test this lens out and we had a nice day. Comments please, thanks. Click "View: original size" link to see best quality - it definitely loses impact the way it looks below. Bill

Yeah, needs to be seen large, probably in a big monitor. All landscape picture should be viewed large.

I like it a lot. I like it better than the pictures you have posted later. This picture has a theme, it creates a mood, it speaks to me. It is not a picture of two houses or two trees. It is a picture of two houses in a vast and near emptiness. So, the fact that you have 'uninteresting grass' or empty area in the foreground is important for creating that theme and mood. I don't need to see the houses more clearly than this, they are clear enough when viewed large. If you had moved closer to the houses it would have been a picture of two houses without the impact it has now. I don't think you should make the sky more dramatic. Your foreground is dark, by making the sky darker you would lose the contrast and balance it has now. Now my eyes move easily from the foreground (as there is nothing interesting here, although it is important in the context of the theme) through the space between two trees and settle on the houses, then they move to the vast sky (which is interesting, but not enough to hold my eyes there) and settle again on the houses. In the process my brain has absorbed the whole scene, its complementary elements and I can now hear the theme talking.

You can crop a little though, not from the bottom, about 10% from top, right and left. Although you will lose some feeling of vastness in the process (not a lot), the picture will look more balanced without losing its impact.

PS, I love those two little planes.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
salamander1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017
Like?

it's not a bad shot. you can see some movement on the ground, some undulating,  as if the grass was little ocean waves. but  you gotta  unroot the sapling on the right, if this is your property, of course,  and remove it form the  scene, because it messes with the perspective and the rule of thirds, and then take the shot again.

billorg
Like?
In reply to salamander1, Feb 9, 2013

No, this is not my property, it's part of the Howard Hughes Janelia Farm Research campus.

aftab:  Thank you for your thoughtful insight, I was not looking just for people who agreed with what I saw (and none really did)  because I wanted many opinions so I could learn, but interestingly you did, and as I read your post, the words felt like they were mine.  But I didn't know if that was good or not!  I love how sharp the foreground is, it reminded me of B&W stuff done with Rollei's in the old days. I guess I was trying to see if I could make SOMETHING out of a very average scene, and I agree, just taking a picture of the buildings would miss the impact created by all the open spaces and sky.  Thanks, Bill

ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,788Gear list
Like?
In reply to billythek, Feb 9, 2013

Maybe a crop, see more of the house otherwise gets a

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads