Recommendations welcome- protect my new camera!

Started Feb 8, 2013 | Questions
karma2m
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Recommendations welcome- protect my new camera!
Feb 8, 2013

Just ordered a Canon SX40 & want to care for it properly.

Should I buy a filter to protect the lens?  If so, recommendations?

I'm not very experienced, so please be gentle!

Karen in Texas, anxiously awaiting her new arrival!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Dimitrios Zavos
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
Re: Recommendations welcome- protect my new camera!
In reply to karma2m, Feb 8, 2013

Hello karma2m,

A special adapter is required to mount a filter on the SX40. There are two sizes available, one to mount a 58mm filter and one to mount a 67mm filter. Canon offers a 67mm adapter so I'd stick to that since the 58mm that other providers offer might cause some vignetting. If all you want is to protect your lens then a UV filter is sufficient. Please use a good quality filter. No point covering a fine lens with an inferior piece of glass. Also please consider using a lens hood to protect against contact and hits when carrying the camera around on its strap.

Hope this helps.

Dimitrios Zavos's gear list:Dimitrios Zavos's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
confyushis
Contributing MemberPosts: 856Gear list
Like?
hood, yes ... filter, not so much ...

karma2m wrote:
Should I buy a filter to protect the lens? If so, recommendations?

a UV filter is typically not necessary and may make your pictures worse ... any glass you put in front of your lens will reduce picture quality, though you may or may not notice a difference ... you would have to buy the filter adapter for about $20 and then buy a filter which may cost much more depending on quality ...

for protection you can buy a lens hood (LH-DC60) for about $20 (try bhphoto.com or adorama.com) ... it will also reduce glare and increase contrast, which no filter could ever do ...

confyushis's gear list:confyushis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
drj3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,304Gear list
Like?

Any filter can degrade the image.   This is especially true if you do not use a lens hood.  If a filter is used it should be a very high quality multicoated clear filte and therefore expensive. For the superzoom you also have the added expense of the Canon - Filter Adapter FA-DC67A necessary to prevent vignetting.   If anyone makes a lens hood (they may not for a super zoom) that would be a better choice for lens protection.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
James Cafferty
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,306
Like?
Re: hood, yes ... filter, not so much ...
In reply to confyushis, Feb 8, 2013

confyushis wrote:

karma2m wrote:

a UV filter is typically not necessary and may make your pictures worse ... any glass you put in front of your lens will reduce picture quality, though you may or may not notice a difference ... you would have to buy the filter adapter for about $20 and then buy a filter which may cost much more depending on quality ...

for protection you can buy a lens hood (LH-DC60) for about $20 (try bhphoto.com or adorama.com) ... it will also reduce glare and increase contrast, which no filter could ever do ...

I agree with confyushis: skip the filter (unless you have young children or touchy-feely friends or relatives)

Buy a lens hood for outdoor pictures, store it reversed on the lens fitting

Camera Case $12.74 + shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-DCB-304-Fixed-Camera/dp/B0039BPG1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360298173&sr=8-1&keywords=Case+Logic+DCB-304

Canon Battery $40 - free shipping

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Canon+NB-10L+Battery&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Canon Lens Hood $19 + shipping

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Canon+LH-DC60&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Good luck! 

-- hide signature --

All the best,
Jim
Is it the camera, the lens, or your lack of skill that is causing you to...

Leswick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,102
Like?
In reply to drj3, Feb 8, 2013

If it will help you sleep better....have this eq added to your home insurance.

Leswick

mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 3,385Gear list
Like?
In reply to Leswick, Feb 8, 2013

This is a very controversial topic that comes up often and always goes on and on with good arguments on both sides. I'm a believer in Murphy's Law that anything that can go wrong will go wrong so I use protective filters. I don't see any loss of sharpness.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
Solar Ben
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
In reply to karma2m, Mar 21, 2013

karma2m wrote:

Just ordered a Canon SX40 & want to care for it properly.

I'm not very experienced, so please be gentle!

Karen in Texas, anxiously awaiting her new arrival!

Hi!

If you want to attach a filter to the lens of the sx40 you'll first need to buy the fa-dc67a filter adapter. Then you can install 67mm filters, usually you can find these for about $30.

You could buy a lens hood part number LH-DC60 for about $30. This helps to protect your lens as well as helps block light from causing flares in your images.

Fortunately the SX40 comes with a lens cap. I leave mine on all the time. It also came with a little strap to keep the lens cap connected to the camera so i never lose it. I'm satisfied with the lens cap to protect my lens. If i do scratch the lens then its an opportunity for me to buy a new camera lol. Have fun.
 Solar Ben's gear list:Solar Ben's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Pentax K-30
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads