surprising lack of interest in G5 review

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,470
Like?
surprising lack of interest in G5 review
Feb 7, 2013

Over the last few months there have been several threads whinging about the lack of a DPR G5 review, yet when a post tells us about a review that is very well constructed with lots of interesting observations it creates almost no debate.  Very strange.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3378867#forum-post-50803912

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
Re: surprising lack of interest in G5 review
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Feb 7, 2013

Not sure what to say here.  The G5 seems like a good camera.  It's probably the best balance between price/performance currently available in m43.  But it's not that interesting.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
john Clinch
Senior MemberPosts: 2,813
Like?
Re: surprising lack of interest in G5 review
In reply to BingoCharlie, Feb 7, 2013

Good review on imaging resource. To be honest they do a better job than DPREVIEW. With the excption of the quality of the image comparison tool

It does look an amazing camera and if MFT is going to be strong its a crucial camera

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
john Clinch
Senior MemberPosts: 2,813
Like?
Re: surprising lack of interest in G5 review
In reply to BingoCharlie, Feb 7, 2013

Good review on imaging resource. To be honest they do a better job than DPREVIEW. With the excption of the quality of the image comparison tool

It does look an amazing camera and if MFT is going to be strong its a crucial camera

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Contributing MemberPosts: 628Gear list
Like?
Sensor is the new 'buzzword', it replaced mega-pixels
In reply to john Clinch, Feb 7, 2013

since G5 has the old Panasonic sensor, nobody is interested...

?

 Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson's gear list:Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dr_elis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,145
Like?
"Very strange"?
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Feb 7, 2013

Why would anyone be interested in a review of a by now basically outdated cam, which is already due for a replacement?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
adrianf2
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Re: "Very strange"?
In reply to dr_elis, Feb 8, 2013

dr_elis wrote:

Why would anyone be interested in a review of a by now basically outdated cam, which is already due for a replacement?

What a curiously ignorant comment. Maybe you could be specific after reading the review, or maybe you do not know what you are talking about.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
induna
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: surprising lack of interest in G5 review
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Feb 8, 2013

G5 owners spend their time and energy taking pictures with their cameras, not obsessing over them

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lawrence22
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
Re: surprising lack of interest in G5 review
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Feb 8, 2013

People usually pay attention to the top models. I got my G5 in Christmas with a good deal, and has been using it for 1.5 months. The results make it heading my GH2, and GX1. The electronic shutter is most obvious for me to have a much sharper pictures with 100-300mm tele and at low lighting shooting with any lens. The color produces by G5 is really good.

The review from www.imaging-resource.com gives us  a very detail informations and comparisons with others . The G5 really deserve the credits from the review.

Lawrence

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,534Gear list
Like?
Re: surprising lack of interest in G5 review
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Feb 8, 2013

Not strange at all. The G5 is not interesting when compared to other new releases. Nothing really new. Panasonic decided to use a sensor that is for all practical purposes what was in a 2-year-old model, the GH2. {Yawn} Olympus' response was to give its current and top quality OMD sensor to the E-PL5 and E-PM2. {Trump} Then there are so many mirrorless cameras that are interesting with new features like the PDAF sensor in NEX-5R and NEX-6, or those Fuji cameras with X-Tran sensors and some of them also have PDAF (X-E1, X100s, X20), some have Android or other innovative features ... Panasonic is holding back too much and not passing on what benefits that technology provides quickly enough in its lower models. While Canon can to some extent get away with that, Panasonic does not have the same volume of business, command of loyalty in customers or blind following. I can see the G5, just like the GX1, discounted heavily and replaced soon.

Check the DXO scores for the G5 and compare with GH2's.  Mirrorless consumers are smarter than Panasonic thinks.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
basic state of ignorance
Contributing MemberPosts: 622
Like?
Re: surprising lack of interest in G5 review
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Feb 8, 2013

Actually it is much better camera than a perception of some people. The image quality is nothing less than leading DSLR's I just switched from Sony A65 and I do not see that image quality is any worse. Video is even better than on GH2 and its price is less than 450$. In some cases technical details in reviews do not tell the whole story. I think that G5  is a better photo video tool than Olympus OMD

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Not strange at all. The G5 is not interesting when compared to other new releases. Nothing really new. Panasonic decided to use a sensor that is for all practical purposes what was in a 2-year-old model, the GH2. {Yawn} Olympus' response was to give its current and top quality OMD sensor to the E-PL5 and E-PM2. {Trump} Then there are so many mirrorless cameras that are interesting with new features like the PDAF sensor in NEX-5R and NEX-6, or those Fuji cameras with X-Tran sensors and some of them also have PDAF (X-E1, X100s, X20), some have Android or other innovative features ... Panasonic is holding back too much and not passing on what benefits that technology provides quickly enough in its lower models. While Canon can to some extent get away with that, Panasonic does not have the same volume of business, command of loyalty in customers or blind following. I can see the G5, just like the GX1, discounted heavily and replaced soon.

Check the DXO scores for the G5 and compare with GH2's. Mirrorless consumers are smarter than Panasonic thinks.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lawrence22
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
Re: surprising lack of interest in G5 review
In reply to basic state of ignorance, Feb 8, 2013

basic state of ignorance wrote:

Actually it is much better camera than a perception of some people. The image quality is nothing less than leading DSLR's I just switched from Sony A65 and I do not see that image quality is any worse. Video is even better than on GH2 and its price is less than 450$. In some cases technical details in reviews do not tell the whole story. I think that G5 is a better photo video tool than Olympus OMD

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Not strange at all. The G5 is not interesting when compared to other new releases. Nothing really new. Panasonic decided to use a sensor that is for all practical purposes what was in a 2-year-old model, the GH2. {Yawn} Olympus' response was to give its current and top quality OMD sensor to the E-PL5 and E-PM2. {Trump} Then there are so many mirrorless cameras that are interesting with new features like the PDAF sensor in NEX-5R and NEX-6, or those Fuji cameras with X-Tran sensors and some of them also have PDAF (X-E1, X100s, X20), some have Android or other innovative features ... Panasonic is holding back too much and not passing on what benefits that technology provides quickly enough in its lower models. While Canon can to some extent get away with that, Panasonic does not have the same volume of business, command of loyalty in customers or blind following. I can see the G5, just like the GX1, discounted heavily and replaced soon.

Check the DXO scores for the G5 and compare with GH2's. Mirrorless consumers are smarter than Panasonic thinks.

basic state of ignorance,

Agree with you.

Lawrence

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,625Gear list
Like?
Re: surprising lack of interest in G5 review
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Feb 8, 2013

Because it takes too long for some reviews to come out. It's almost not worth DPR doing a GH3 review at this point. It's been in peoples hands for months now.

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

 Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,709Gear list
Like?
I followed the link and read the review with great interest
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Feb 8, 2013

My only criticism, on reflection, is perhaps idiosyncratic -- it didn’t say quite as much as I would like about JPEG image quality versus that of its competitor, Olympus. It said it was not quite as saturated but i would have liked a little more information.

I'm currently running an E-PL3 and the next step is either the G5 or an E-PL5. I am leaning G5-wards at the moment.

ACTUALLY, AFTER WRITING THIS, I CHECKED BACK -- and found the larger images with lots of color. Ah, that's better (why didn’t i click on those little images before? I'm an idiot!).

Specifically, though, I would have liked to see some skin tones compared. This was one of the weaknesses of the G1 -- a lovely cam in many respects, but I could never get those skin tones right. The dull light pic of the little girl in the plastic playground equipment gives me pause. Far too blue.

Cheers, geoff

 Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,625Gear list
Like?
Re: I followed the link and read the review with great interest
In reply to Hen3ry, Feb 8, 2013

Hen3ry wrote:

My only criticism, on reflection, is perhaps idiosyncratic -- it didn’t say quite as much as I would like about JPEG image quality versus that of its competitor, Olympus. It said it was not quite as saturated but i would have liked a little more information.

I'm currently running an E-PL3 and the next step is either the G5 or an E-PL5. I am leaning G5-wards at the moment.

Cheers, geoff

If it is anything like the improvements the GH3 has you will be very happy. For my GH2 I have a workflow to correct colors and with the GH3 I rarely do anything and have been using the wifi to upload JPG's to facebook with no concerns. I would never do that with the GH2 if the feature was available. For me the GH3 JPG's are the best I've seen.

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

 Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,408
Like?
Re: surprising lack of interest in G5 review
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Feb 8, 2013

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Not strange at all. The G5 is not interesting when compared to other new releases. Nothing really new. Panasonic decided to use a sensor that is for all practical purposes what was in a 2-year-old model, the GH2. {Yawn} Olympus' response was to give its current and top quality OMD sensor to the E-PL5 and E-PM2. {Trump} Then there are so many mirrorless cameras that are interesting with new features like the PDAF sensor in NEX-5R and NEX-6, or those Fuji cameras with X-Tran sensors and some of them also have PDAF (X-E1, X100s, X20), some have Android or other innovative features ... Panasonic is holding back too much and not passing on what benefits that technology provides quickly enough in its lower models. While Canon can to some extent get away with that, Panasonic does not have the same volume of business, command of loyalty in customers or blind following. I can see the G5, just like the GX1, discounted heavily and replaced soon.

Check the DXO scores for the G5 and compare with GH2's. Mirrorless consumers are smarter than Panasonic thinks.

No doubt, reviewers and many consumers are fixated on whizbang features, megapixel count, etc., etc.  The G5 doesn't have *obvious* changes that differentiate it so much from the G3.  In practice, though, it seems to be one of the most competent and balanced mirrorless cameras out there, and it's a great value.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
basic state of ignorance
Contributing MemberPosts: 622
Like?
Re: surprising lack of interest in G5 review
In reply to amtberg, Feb 8, 2013

amtberg wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Not strange at all. The G5 is not interesting when compared to other new releases. Nothing really new. Panasonic decided to use a sensor that is for all practical purposes what was in a 2-year-old model, the GH2. {Yawn} Olympus' response was to give its current and top quality OMD sensor to the E-PL5 and E-PM2. {Trump} Then there are so many mirrorless cameras that are interesting with new features like the PDAF sensor in NEX-5R and NEX-6, or those Fuji cameras with X-Tran sensors and some of them also have PDAF (X-E1, X100s, X20), some have Android or other innovative features ... Panasonic is holding back too much and not passing on what benefits that technology provides quickly enough in its lower models. While Canon can to some extent get away with that, Panasonic does not have the same volume of business, command of loyalty in customers or blind following. I can see the G5, just like the GX1, discounted heavily and replaced soon.

Check the DXO scores for the G5 and compare with GH2's. Mirrorless consumers are smarter than Panasonic thinks.

No doubt, reviewers and many consumers are fixated on whizbang features, megapixel count, etc., etc. The G5 doesn't have *obvious* changes that differentiate it so much from the G3. In practice, though, it seems to be one of the most competent and balanced mirrorless cameras out there, and it's a great value.

Actually it is very different than G3: video works just fine without jello effect, AF is really fast, Dynamic range is good without over blowing highlights. Finally track AF is great. It is a camera which has no obvious downsides like GH3 too expensive and too big, or OMD poor video and crazy ergonomics menu implementation. I wish it had 5 a axis stabilization from Olympus.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,408
Like?
Re: surprising lack of interest in G5 review
In reply to basic state of ignorance, Feb 8, 2013

basic state of ignorance wrote:

amtberg wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Not strange at all. The G5 is not interesting when compared to other new releases. Nothing really new. Panasonic decided to use a sensor that is for all practical purposes what was in a 2-year-old model, the GH2. {Yawn} Olympus' response was to give its current and top quality OMD sensor to the E-PL5 and E-PM2. {Trump} Then there are so many mirrorless cameras that are interesting with new features like the PDAF sensor in NEX-5R and NEX-6, or those Fuji cameras with X-Tran sensors and some of them also have PDAF (X-E1, X100s, X20), some have Android or other innovative features ... Panasonic is holding back too much and not passing on what benefits that technology provides quickly enough in its lower models. While Canon can to some extent get away with that, Panasonic does not have the same volume of business, command of loyalty in customers or blind following. I can see the G5, just like the GX1, discounted heavily and replaced soon.

Check the DXO scores for the G5 and compare with GH2's. Mirrorless consumers are smarter than Panasonic thinks.

No doubt, reviewers and many consumers are fixated on whizbang features, megapixel count, etc., etc. The G5 doesn't have *obvious* changes that differentiate it so much from the G3. In practice, though, it seems to be one of the most competent and balanced mirrorless cameras out there, and it's a great value.

Actually it is very different than G3: video works just fine without jello effect, AF is really fast, Dynamic range is good without over blowing highlights. Finally track AF is great. It is a camera which has no obvious downsides like GH3 too expensive and too big, or OMD poor video and crazy ergonomics menu implementation. I wish it had 5 a axis stabilization from Olympus.

I agree.  I'm just saying that it's not an attention grabber because it has more or less the same form factor and features as the G3.  But it SHOULD grab more attention because so much of that good stuff that was in the G3 is better in the G5.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,322Gear list
Like?
G5 is just a Repackage G3 without sensor improvements
In reply to Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson, Feb 8, 2013

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson wrote:

Exactly.  I'm not interested in a 2 yrs old Repackage camera at a higher price without sensor improvements.

The lack of excitement for G5 MIRROR the lackluster debut for Panasonic GF5

  • GF5 is just a repackeage GF3 with rubber grip
  • G5 is also a repackage G3 with a rubber grip

I havt yet to find any worthy upgrade in G5 over G3 to justify the expense.  Making it worst is that G5 is 240% more expensive than an older G3 @B&H Video:

  • $598 Panasonic G5 Body
  • $249 Panasonic G3 Body

Without sensor improvements, G5 is vulnerable to the heavily discounted G3.

 007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,252Gear list
Like?
Re: surprising lack of interest in G5 review
In reply to basic state of ignorance, Feb 8, 2013

basic state of ignorance wrote:

Actually it is very different than G3: video works just fine without jello effect, AF is really fast, Dynamic range is good without over blowing highlights. Finally track AF is great. It is a camera which has no obvious downsides like GH3 too expensive and too big, or OMD poor video and crazy ergonomics menu implementation. I wish it had 5 a axis stabilization from Olympus.

Style wins over substance with many consumers, and Panasonic needs to wake up to this.  We can gnash our teeth over this reality 'til the cows come home, but it's not going to change it.

How the same company that introduced the very attractive and purposeful appearing GF-1 and it's successor, the GX-1, can produce such bland mini-DSLR's as the G5 and GH3 is beyond me.

The consumer wins by this approach, watching Panasonic prices drop precipitously only months after their camera's release.  The G5 has to be THE bargain of digital photography these days.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

 sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads