Help me choose ! . . . . . 5 images

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions
IvanM
Regular MemberPosts: 409Gear list
Like?
Help me choose ! . . . . . 5 images
Feb 7, 2013

I photographed Gladys early one morning as I was walking around the small village of Hofmeyer in the Karoo region of South Africa.  (In December last year my wife and I went on a photographic journey for about 4 days. Hofmeyer was our 2nd stop. ) I asked if I could take her photograph and took about 10 images in 2 minutes. I think she was a bit shy that I had caught her not quite appropriately dressed, because she asked her son to bring her a jersey. She was sitting on her 'stoep' or veranda in full view of the passing parade so I am not too concerned showing her like that... She is having the standard South African breakfast of 'oats pap' or oats porridge...and it almost looks like she has some traditional marking or 'paint' on her face or maybe it was just a face mask....

So what do you think, which one works best if at all? I include a sepia rendering, but somehow I think I prefer the colour.

Processed in LR4 and Nik Silver Efex2. More of my images of Hofmeyer here at...http://thelazytravelphotographer.blogspot.com/

-- hide signature --
apaflo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,854
Like?
Re: Help me choose ! . . . . . 5 images
In reply to IvanM, Feb 7, 2013

I like the first two okay, but not so much the third one.  The last one, and particularly the color version is the best.

The reason is what they show and how well it can be seen.  It's a pretty rough old body that's quite apparently seen the ravages of time, but her eyes are a window into a really sharp and vivid mind!  They aren't particularly "beautiful" eyes.  They're just very well lit up from behind.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
IvanM
Regular MemberPosts: 409Gear list
Like?
In reply to apaflo, Feb 8, 2013

thanks, that's more or less at how I looked at  these images....

-- hide signature --
slarti bartfast
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?
In reply to IvanM, Feb 8, 2013

I like the first image even though those spoons are so stiff. Maybe a b&w version to see how it does but i like best what is going on there.

slarti

NDaniel
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?
In reply to IvanM, Feb 8, 2013

I like the first and the last, although on the first picture, I will crop away the spoon and bowl, and leaving the cup alone

-- hide signature --

D5100

NDaniel's gear list:NDaniel's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
Velu
Regular MemberPosts: 499
Like?
In reply to NDaniel, Feb 8, 2013

And darken the bowls !

Rgds

Velu

-- hide signature --

www.veluart.com

mehrirae
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to Velu, Feb 8, 2013

Third one is my favorite.  She looks like you just caught her in a laugh and she's not posing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads