Canon 6D - Most versatile landscape camera ever made.

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions
Johan01
Regular MemberPosts: 459
Like?
Canon 6D - Most versatile landscape camera ever made.
Feb 7, 2013

I know it seems like a bold claim but hear me out.

I owned a Canon 60D, which before the 6D was the best handling camera for fast action tripod work, where I constantly play chicken with ocean waves. Only issue was the crop sensor holding it back once the ISO needed to go up, along with a lack of ultra sharp lenses that reach 10mm. I then went to a 5D2, which was a big step backwards in functionality, and is just slow and loud as hell, but the ISO performance was nice. People could hear me bracketing shots from a 1/4 mile away with the 5D2, literally. Every shutter click was like crushing a small animal inside the mirror box. I then went to a D800 and quickly learned that Live View was compromised way too much and mandatory two handed controls were a pain in the ass for single handed tripod work, when I am holding an umbrella or climbing rope.

Here are the things I found that make the 6D the king of backcountry and Live View landscapes.

1. Quick operation. Very snappy compared to my other Canons in terms of controls, focus, and shutter.

2. Very light and compact, which is nice to have a FF sensor in a 60D body. For backpacking and tripod work, lighter and smaller are better.

3. One handed controls are laid out perfectly for Live View tripod work. Even better than 5D3 and 60D.

4. Electronic level is dead on accurate and easier to use at night compared to a spirit level needed for the 5D2.

5. Stupidly quiet in silent shooting mode, and the mode is very easy to access with the top dials. The D800 clacks loudly in an annoying way. It also has a crazy amount of mirror vibration/jump that is unsettling. 5D2 was loud, but never felt like it was a jumping bean in my hands.

6. -3EV AF is nice when it is really dark out and you need to focus on something far away where your headlamp might not put much light. This camera's nighttime AF ability is uncanny.

7. Accepts Canon lenses as well as Nikon. The Canon 70-200 F4 L IS, is a backcountry backpacking staple, and is still better optically to the edges at 70mm and 200mm than the Nikon 70-200 F4. Center of the range is a tie.

8. Much lower noise in Live View operation than the D800. No live view line skipping at full zoom. AND you don't have to look at a black screen when set to F8.

9. Wifi isn't a gimmick in even the slightest bit. I always take my iPhone everywhere I go for time, alarms, and Ephemeris. The 5d2 and any other fixed screen camera can be a huge compromise when doing crazy tripod angles or when you have the camera backed up against a tree or rock. 60D was good, but the 6D owns all with the built in WiFi and iPhone remote control. It could be a little snappier with my iPhone 4, but totally workable when needed.

10. Remote triggering with the Wifi, allows me to leave a rather heavy portion of my camera accessories at home. I no longer need to carry radio triggers, and I get to see my shots and focus zoomed all the way in.

11. Built in Wifi does not compromise the current state of weather sealing by adding a dongle thingy plugged into the side. iPhones are also incredibly waterproof as I found out on the Kenai River last summer, haha.

12. AFMA for zoom lenses on both ends. Seems like this was the Dynamic Range type of hot feature everyone argued about a couple of years ago. Canon 60D was lambasted for not having it. Now the 6D has it and has it in spades. Nikon really needs to add this to the D800. Although, both of my lenses, 16-35II and 70-200F4L IS, are bang on at both ends with no AFMA needed at all.

13. Wifi Signal is actually just as strong as my home Wifi. I can get a signal 60 feet away through many walls in my house. Outdoors is even better.

14. Camera is fully operational when connected to the iPhone and can be controlled by hand or iPhone at the same time. So, I could hand my iPhone to someone and let them watch me work and view photos without blasting garlic breath over my shoulder.

15. Lack of Dynamic Range, while improved over the 5D2 banding wise, it is still not as good as the D800. For how slow and cumbersome the D800 is to use in a lot of cases, I can blast off an exposure bracketed sequence that is also stitched multiple times in an equal amount of time with the 6D. More post work is required to combine them, but I still get the added resolution and DR I need. An added plus is that it also increases the effective sharpness per MP with the lens resolution. For this I would say it's a bit of a draw, and in most cases I don't need to push shadows to the point of destruction with the 6D.

16. Colors! The 6D produces some very natural and pleasing colors and feels a bit like a 1dsIII in that sense. Better at handling the different channels than the 60D and 5D2.

17. PRICE! I feel like I have cheated in getting such a wicked machine for $1800, new.

18. Image playback zoom can be configured to go instantly to 10x fully zoomed with one press. A big plus over the 5D2. The speed in which the zoom in portion can scroll from edge to edge is much faster than the 5D2, making it easier to check focus stacking at the edges.

19. The quick operation also gives medium format cameras a run for their resolution, as I can very quickly stitch images to far exceed what a MF camera can do in one shot. Resolution per minute of work, is very high for the 6D. Factor in high ISO ability and the 6D really starts to shine. At worst, the two formats can be a draw in the right hands.

I am sure to find more positive things to say about this wonderful camera as I get more time with it in the field. Although, I often figure out most of the advantages to new gear within the first couple of days.

The only disappointment is the lack of ability for the 6D center focus point to lock onto low contrast objects. I do new lens testing on a textured wall with the same lighting on all my cameras, and the 6D just can't grab focus on it. All of the others, even a t1i can grab focus. This must be the tradeoff for having -3EV.

Well, there's also the fact that the camera is cramped for doing any handheld viewfinder work. 5D and D800 are far superior for this. I would get a D800 or 5D3 instead for viewfinder work in long durations.

I keep a very open mind about purchasing the best gear I can for making a living, and all logic for my type of modern landscape work points to the 6D being king. Once Canon starts adding MP and DR, it's just going to be that much easier to decide with future models.

Pusseapa
Contributing MemberPosts: 718
Like?
Re: Canon 6D - Most versatile landscape camera ever made.
In reply to Johan01, Feb 7, 2013

Thanks for the review, I want it even more now.

-- hide signature --

.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tak_yung
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 6D - Most versatile landscape camera ever made.
In reply to Johan01, Feb 7, 2013

I also have a 6D, 100% agree !!!

 tak_yung's gear list:tak_yung's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Spad16
Contributing MemberPosts: 892Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 6D - Most versatile landscape camera ever made.
In reply to Johan01, Feb 7, 2013

Johan:

"The only disappointment is the lack of ability for the 6D center focus point to lock onto low contrast objects. I do new lens testing on a textured wall with the same lighting on all my cameras, and the 6D just can't grab focus on it. All of the others, even a t1i can grab focus. This must be the tradeoff for having -3EV"

This is a bit worrying. Have you tried adjusting the autofocus sensitivity? I haven’t been able to get out with my 6D yet, but on my indoor focusing tests it seems very good.

Thanks for a great review, The 6D really does seem to be an ideal landscape camera. I’m really looking forward to the summer.

/Neil

 
 Spad16's gear list:Spad16's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Johan01
Regular MemberPosts: 459
Like?
Re: Canon 6D - Most versatile landscape camera ever made.
In reply to Spad16, Feb 7, 2013

Spad16 wrote:

Johan:

"The only disappointment is the lack of ability for the 6D center focus point to lock onto low contrast objects. I do new lens testing on a textured wall with the same lighting on all my cameras, and the 6D just can't grab focus on it. All of the others, even a t1i can grab focus. This must be the tradeoff for having -3EV"

This is a bit worrying. Have you tried adjusting the autofocus sensitivity? I haven’t been able to get out with my 6D yet, but on my indoor focusing tests it seems very good.

Thanks for a great review, The 6D really does seem to be an ideal landscape camera. I’m really looking forward to the summer.

/Neil


Hmm, I will give it another shot. I forgot it had so many AF options. I am so used to there being virtually none. LoL

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Einstein333
Senior MemberPosts: 1,837
Like?
Re: Canon 6D - Most versatile landscape camera ever made.
In reply to Johan01, Feb 7, 2013

How about the off center AF points? Do you use them? Are they precise and fast?

-- hide signature --

***********************************************
www.retomueller.ch/forum/signature.jpg
Visit my photo gallery: http://www.retomueller.ch
Reto Mueller, Bern, Switzerland

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
George Spencer
Contributing MemberPosts: 615Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 6D - Most versatile landscape camera ever made.
In reply to Einstein333, Feb 7, 2013

My only gripe . . . and it isn't a big one . . . is the electronic level in the viewfinder.  I wish it was like the level in live view.

It is definitely a great landscape camera.  I'm sure it will be a great travel camera.

 George Spencer's gear list:George Spencer's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Leica M8 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nigel Wilkins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006
Like?
Re: Canon 6D - Most versatile landscape camera ever made.
In reply to Johan01, Feb 7, 2013

Johan01 wrote:

4. Electronic level is dead on accurate and easier to use at night compared to a spirit level needed for the 5D2.

I've measured mine & it is very accurate, showing green over only a quarter of a degree.  Unfortunately, I'm quite obsessive about such things & prefer an accurate spirit level for ease of use & certainty.  Knowing I could be a quarter of a degree out puts doubt in my mind...anal, I know.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DVT80111
Senior MemberPosts: 1,387Gear list
Like?
Almost
In reply to Johan01, Feb 8, 2013

except a swivel screen.

 DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,314Gear list
Like?
Ridic
In reply to Johan01, Feb 8, 2013

But I'm glad you're pumped about your camera.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

 Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,233Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 6D - Most versatile landscape camera ever made.
In reply to Johan01, Feb 8, 2013

Johan01 wrote:

I know it seems like a bold claim but hear me out.

I owned a Canon 60D, which before the 6D was the best handling camera for fast action tripod work, where I constantly play chicken with ocean waves. Only issue was the crop sensor holding it back once the ISO needed to go up, along with a lack of ultra sharp lenses that reach 10mm. I then went to a 5D2, which was a big step backwards in functionality, and is just slow and loud as hell, but the ISO performance was nice. People could hear me bracketing shots from a 1/4 mile away with the 5D2, literally. Every shutter click was like crushing a small animal inside the mirror box. I then went to a D800 and quickly learned that Live View was compromised way too much and mandatory two handed controls were a pain in the ass for single handed tripod work, when I am holding an umbrella or climbing rope.

Here are the things I found that make the 6D the king of backcountry and Live View landscapes.

1. Quick operation. Very snappy compared to my other Canons in terms of controls, focus, and shutter.

2. Very light and compact, which is nice to have a FF sensor in a 60D body. For backpacking and tripod work, lighter and smaller are better.

3. One handed controls are laid out perfectly for Live View tripod work. Even better than 5D3 and 60D.

4. Electronic level is dead on accurate and easier to use at night compared to a spirit level needed for the 5D2.

5. Stupidly quiet in silent shooting mode, and the mode is very easy to access with the top dials. The D800 clacks loudly in an annoying way. It also has a crazy amount of mirror vibration/jump that is unsettling. 5D2 was loud, but never felt like it was a jumping bean in my hands.

i wouldn't say my D800 is any noisier than my 7D.  I get do mirror slap on mine...are you sure you've used the D800?

6. -3EV AF is nice when it is really dark out and you need to focus on something far away where your headlamp might not put much light. This camera's nighttime AF ability is uncanny.

7. Accepts Canon lenses as well as Nikon. The Canon 70-200 F4 L IS, is a backcountry backpacking staple, and is still better optically to the edges at 70mm and 200mm than the Nikon 70-200 F4. Center of the range is a tie.

The 6d accepts Nikon lenses?  Really?  so by this you mean it has the Nikon mount instead of EF?

8. Much lower noise in Live View operation than the D800. No live view line skipping at full zoom. AND you don't have to look at a black screen when set to F8.

noise in live view? What noise?

9. Wifi isn't a gimmick in even the slightest bit. I always take my iPhone everywhere I go for time, alarms, and Ephemeris. The 5d2 and any other fixed screen camera can be a huge compromise when doing crazy tripod angles or when you have the camera backed up against a tree or rock. 60D was good, but the 6D owns all with the built in WiFi and iPhone remote control. It could be a little snappier with my iPhone 4, but totally workable when needed.

10. Remote triggering with the Wifi, allows me to leave a rather heavy portion of my camera accessories at home. I no longer need to carry radio triggers, and I get to see my shots and focus zoomed all the way in.

11. Built in Wifi does not compromise the current state of weather sealing by adding a dongle thingy plugged into the side. iPhones are also incredibly waterproof as I found out on the Kenai River last summer, haha.

12. AFMA for zoom lenses on both ends. Seems like this was the Dynamic Range type of hot feature everyone argued about a couple of years ago. Canon 60D was lambasted for not having it. Now the 6D has it and has it in spades. Nikon really needs to add this to the D800. Although, both of my lenses, 16-35II and 70-200F4L IS, are bang on at both ends with no AFMA needed at all.

ummm...the D800 has it.  Are you sure you've even held a D800? You can adjust the focus with the Nikon

13. Wifi Signal is actually just as strong as my home Wifi. I can get a signal 60 feet away through many walls in my house. Outdoors is even better.

14. Camera is fully operational when connected to the iPhone and can be controlled by hand or iPhone at the same time. So, I could hand my iPhone to someone and let them watch me work and view photos without blasting garlic breath over my shoulder.

15. Lack of Dynamic Range, while improved over the 5D2 banding wise, it is still not as good as the D800. For how slow and cumbersome the D800 is to use in a lot of cases, I can blast off an exposure bracketed sequence that is also stitched multiple times in an equal amount of time with the 6D. More post work is required to combine them, but I still get the added resolution and DR I need. An added plus is that it also increases the effective sharpness per MP with the lens resolution. For this I would say it's a bit of a draw, and in most cases I don't need to push shadows to the point of destruction with the 6D.

The nikon is slow and cumbersome?  It's faster than my D700 in my comparisons...so I'm not sure what tou'rs one about.

16. Colors! The 6D produces some very natural and pleasing colors and feels a bit like a 1dsIII in that sense. Better at handling the different channels than the 60D and 5D2.

17. PRICE! I feel like I have cheated in getting such a wicked machine for $1800, new.

18. Image playback zoom can be configured to go instantly to 10x fully zoomed with one press. A big plus over the 5D2. The speed in which the zoom in portion can scroll from edge to edge is much faster than the 5D2, making it easier to check focus stacking at the edges.

19. The quick operation also gives medium format cameras a run for their resolution, as I can very quickly stitch images to far exceed what a MF camera can do in one shot. Resolution per minute of work, is very high for the 6D. Factor in high ISO ability and the 6D really starts to shine. At worst, the two formats can be a draw in the right hands.

The 6d may be faster than a mf camera...but that cpmment makes about as much sense as compalining about the frame ate on a 4x5 view camera.

I am sure to find more positive things to say about this wonderful camera as I get more time with it in the field. Although, I often figure out most of the advantages to new gear within the first couple of days.

The only disappointment is the lack of ability for the 6D center focus point to lock onto low contrast objects. I do new lens testing on a textured wall with the same lighting on all my cameras, and the 6D just can't grab focus on it. All of the others, even a t1i can grab focus. This must be the tradeoff for having -3EV.

Well, there's also the fact that the camera is cramped for doing any handheld viewfinder work. 5D and D800 are far superior for this. I would get a D800 or 5D3 instead for viewfinder work in long durations.

I keep a very open mind about purchasing the best gear I can for making a living, and all logic for my type of modern landscape work points to the 6D being king. Once Canon starts adding MP and DR, it's just going to be that much easier to decide with future models.

from reading your comments, it's pretty clear that your knowledge of the D800 is insufficient to make any comparison at all.

 The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nofumble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,253
Like?
Landscape camera ????
In reply to Johan01, Feb 8, 2013

what is the most versatile landscape camera? Can it go underwater or stand in mid air?

great camera ..sure but most versatile landscape camera ??

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Johan01
Regular MemberPosts: 459
Like?
Re: Canon 6D - Most versatile landscape camera ever made.
In reply to Johan01, Feb 8, 2013

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone would get upset that the D800 might be a lesser tool in the right hands. You can always count on some DPR users to avoid reading comprehension and start attacking things that are not true or ever stated.

I've given a very thoughtful effort into figuring out what works best in the cases I have given. It's not like I am giving Canon any free pass here. I obviously see the flaws in their design as well.

Where have I mentioned 7D? I said the 5D2 was the loudest POS ever, pretty much and the 6D is just in a whole different league to all previous Canon's (except 5d3) as well as the D800, in reduced shutter noise. My knees make more noise than the 6D.

I even state how bad the 6D autofocus can be in my testing, along with how bad it would be for non-landscape handheld work, like weddings.

I have faith that the reasonable folks who are not blinded by brand loyalty can clearly see how I came to reasonable conclusions.

Dave Luttmann

All you have proven is that you have not tried a Canon 6D. It is very clear I know what the D800 is capable of.

By the way, just to inform you. Nikon lenses can be used on Canon with an adapter.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,674
Like?
Riddick rocks.
In reply to Rick Knepper, Feb 8, 2013

Rick Knepper wrote:

But I'm glad you're pumped about your camera.

I loved The Chronicles of Riddick.  One of my all-time favorite lines came from that movie.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Edymagno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,865Gear list
Like?
Re: Almost
In reply to DVT80111, Feb 8, 2013

DVT80111 wrote:

except a swivel screen.

I just bought a 6D. I'll get it by wednesday. I know I will enjoy it even more than my 5D2. Because of the swivel screen missing, I won't give it this unique title.

Eduardo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,233Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 6D - Most versatile landscape camera ever made.
In reply to Johan01, Feb 8, 2013

Johan01 wrote:

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone would get upset that the D800 might be a lesser tool in the right hands. You can always count on some DPR users to avoid reading comprehension and start attacking things that are not true or ever stated.

Upset? No. Just correcting misinformation.

I've given a very thoughtful effort into figuring out what works best in the cases I have given. It's not like I am giving Canon any free pass here. I obviously see the flaws in their design as well.

Where have I mentioned 7D? I said the 5D2 was the loudest POS ever, pretty much and the 6D is just in a whole different league to all previous Canon's (except 5d3) as well as the D800, in reduced shutter noise. My knees make more noise than the 6D.

I even state how bad the 6D autofocus can be in my testing, along with how bad it would be for non-landscape handheld work, like weddings.

I have faith that the reasonable folks who are not blinded by brand loyalty can clearly see how I came to reasonable conclusions.

i cant be blinded by brand loyalty...I use Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Mamiya, Voigtlander, Shen hao, Linhof, etc. I have actually used the 6D a fair bit. i didn't like the cheap feel nor the small size in my hands. At least though, I don't make comments about camera not having MFA when they do.

All you have proven is that you have not tried a Canon 6D. It is very clear I know what the D800 is capable of.

By the way, just to inform you. Nikon lenses can be used on Canon with an adapter.

By the way....most camera brands can use most lenses with an adaptor. Guess you missed that as well. The more you post, it appears the less you actually know. I don't think I would trust any further camera opinion reviews from you...regardless of brand. No offence, but it appears you don't like anyone calling your mistakes into question. I mean seriously...cumbersome? Did you find the camera shutter button difficult to press and take a photo.

As to brand loyalty...my current and past Canon gear is the D30, 10D, 40D (x2), 1Ds, 1Ds2, 1D2, xti, 7D, G3 and sx150is.  How about you?

 The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 6D - Most versatile landscape camera ever made.
In reply to Johan01, Feb 8, 2013

Glad you like your camera

For anyone is looking for high MP camera, has to wait for another year.  It also mentions 5DX?

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/02/big-megapixel-camera-in-2014/

Here is my upgrade plan.  When 1DX II announced, I will sell 5D3 and 1D3 and buy current 1DX in bargain price.  Also get 6D II or III with articulated OLE/LCD then for small/light body and hope it also has 14-stop DR so I can pull shadows 6 stops if necessary, kidding. Personally I don't need 46mp but a clean and sharp at pixel level 20-24mp camera.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Johan01
Regular MemberPosts: 459
Like?
Re: Canon 6D - Most versatile landscape camera ever made.
In reply to The Davinator, Feb 8, 2013

Thank you for your reply, it has been very thoughtful.

I hope you have a nice day and get some time to shoot some sweet photos.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rwbaron
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,344Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 6D - Most versatile landscape camera ever made.
In reply to The Davinator, Feb 8, 2013

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Johan01 wrote:

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone would get upset that the D800 might be a lesser tool in the right hands. You can always count on some DPR users to avoid reading comprehension and start attacking things that are not true or ever stated.

Upset? No. Just correcting misinformation.

I've given a very thoughtful effort into figuring out what works best in the cases I have given. It's not like I am giving Canon any free pass here. I obviously see the flaws in their design as well.

Where have I mentioned 7D? I said the 5D2 was the loudest POS ever, pretty much and the 6D is just in a whole different league to all previous Canon's (except 5d3) as well as the D800, in reduced shutter noise. My knees make more noise than the 6D.

I even state how bad the 6D autofocus can be in my testing, along with how bad it would be for non-landscape handheld work, like weddings.

I have faith that the reasonable folks who are not blinded by brand loyalty can clearly see how I came to reasonable conclusions.

i cant be blinded by brand loyalty...I use Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Mamiya, Voigtlander, Shen hao, Linhof, etc. I have actually used the 6D a fair bit. i didn't like the cheap feel nor the small size in my hands. At least though, I don't make comments about camera not having MFA when they do.

All you have proven is that you have not tried a Canon 6D. It is very clear I know what the D800 is capable of.

By the way, just to inform you. Nikon lenses can be used on Canon with an adapter.

By the way....most camera brands can use most lenses with an adaptor. Guess you missed that as well. The more you post, it appears the less you actually know. I don't think I would trust any further camera opinion reviews from you...regardless of brand. No offence, but it appears you don't like anyone calling your mistakes into question. I mean seriously...cumbersome? Did you find the camera shutter button difficult to press and take a photo.

As to brand loyalty...my current and past Canon gear is the D30, 10D, 40D (x2), 1Ds, 1Ds2, 1D2, xti, 7D, G3 and sx150is. How about you?

As someone who read the entire thread it appears the OP has struck a nerve and maybe that's been the cause for some bias and you've misread much of what he's said as your posts come off as argumentative at best.  I think he's stated his opinion fairly and with considerable depth and insight.

Just sayin.

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rrccad
Senior MemberPosts: 3,257Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 6D - Most versatile landscape camera ever made.
In reply to The Davinator, Feb 8, 2013

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Johan01 wrote:

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone would get upset that the D800 might be a lesser tool in the right hands. You can always count on some DPR users to avoid reading comprehension and start attacking things that are not true or ever stated.

Upset? No. Just correcting misinformation.

I've given a very thoughtful effort into figuring out what works best in the cases I have given. It's not like I am giving Canon any free pass here. I obviously see the flaws in their design as well.

Where have I mentioned 7D? I said the 5D2 was the loudest POS ever, pretty much and the 6D is just in a whole different league to all previous Canon's (except 5d3) as well as the D800, in reduced shutter noise. My knees make more noise than the 6D.

I even state how bad the 6D autofocus can be in my testing, along with how bad it would be for non-landscape handheld work, like weddings.

I have faith that the reasonable folks who are not blinded by brand loyalty can clearly see how I came to reasonable conclusions.

i cant be blinded by brand loyalty...I use Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Mamiya, Voigtlander, Shen hao, Linhof, etc. I have actually used the 6D a fair bit. i didn't like the cheap feel nor the small size in my hands. At least though, I don't make comments about camera not having MFA when they do.

I think he was talking about MFA at both ends of a zoom.

 rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads