How good is the original 5D Mark I compared to the 2013 Canon's?

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions
gromero
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
How good is the original 5D Mark I compared to the 2013 Canon's?
Feb 6, 2013

I'm seeing the original 5D Mark 1 body's for sale for very cheap now.

My question is, considering this was a ground breaking full frame camera launched in 2005, have the amateur enthusiast range now caught up with the original 5D (I use the 600D, which is almost identical in IQ to the current 650D) in terms of IQ?

Or does the full frame sensor on the original 5D still offer superior IQ compared to any of the current 'less than $1000' Canon's?

Clearly the new range of Canon's have improved video, but since day one of owning my 600D I have not shot 1 second of video, I use my camera purely for photography. So this aspect of the Canon's doesn't interest me, I'm purely interested in IQ.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
scrane
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?
Re: How good is the original 5D Mark I compared to the 2013 Canon's?
In reply to gromero, Feb 7, 2013

The newer Canons are far ahead of the old 5Dc as far as features, resolution, and high ISO noise. But, in my opinion the low ISO IQ of the 5Dc is superior in its tonality and balanced output. It is still a fine option.

You can compare photos from all Canon cameras on the Photography on the Net forum. The 5Dc does very well and maintains a following of talented photographers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KENTGA
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,207Gear list
Like?
In reply to scrane, Feb 7, 2013

Probably the main problem you'll have with 5D1 is trying to look at the LCD ineven moderately bright daylight.

I sometimes look at my 5D1 photos and they look remarkably sharp.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D +14 more
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,223
Like?
no 5D mark I nor 5Dc
In reply to scrane, Feb 7, 2013

scrane wrote:

The newer Canons are far ahead of the old 5Dc

Let's talk about the right camera. There is no model called the 5D mark I nor is there a 5Dc, it's plainly the 5D!

Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,272Gear list
Like?

The 5D1 does, indeed, still have a following. Its AWB is not as sophisticated as, for example, my 7D cameras. Its AF is not very impressive, away from the center AF point, compared to a 7D. The 5D1 OOC files, however, are very pleasing to my eyes. I use my 7D cameras at work, but like my 5D cameras for much of my personal shooting.

I bought my second 5D1 in December 2012, after considering the very attractive prices of still-new 5D2 cameras, but then deciding my earlier decision to skip the Mark II was still the better plan. My DSLR "road map" does indeed have a 5D3 on it, but I am not in a particular hurry to get there. When my finances improve in early June, I may prioritize acquiring another L lens, or two, rather than a new full-frame camera body.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Nikon D700 +20 more
Shaun_Nyc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,250Gear list
Like?
 Shaun_Nyc's gear list:Shaun_Nyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,272Gear list
Like?
Re: no 5D mark I nor 5Dc
In reply to RedFox88, Feb 7, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

scrane wrote:

Let's talk about the right camera. There is no model called the 5D mark I nor is there a 5Dc, it's plainly the 5D!

With all due respect, we rarely label something as I, Mark I, or senior, until a II, Mark II, or junior arrives upon the scene. Once the Mark II arrives, it is much simpler to use 1, I, 5D1, or Mark I, than type a longer description. We know what it means, and it avoids confusion, as some folks use "5D" loosely, when referring to the current 5D model.

Moreover, unlike some automobile and firearms companies think, "Classic" is a title that is earned, not self-proclaimed. I believe the original 5D has earned the title of Classic. The early full-frame Canon DSLRs were a BIG thing in their day, causing much anguish among the Nikon folks, and at its introduction, there was nothing else like the 5D, the first light-weight full-frame DSLR. I do not, however, use "5DC."

To be clear, I did not mean this to seem argumentative.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Nikon D700 +20 more
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,223
Like?
In reply to Rexgig0, Feb 7, 2013

Rexgig0 wrote:

it avoids confusion, as some folks use "5D" loosely, when referring to the current 5D model.

I read that "agrument" but never see posts by users "confusing" models.  But I do see people presuming that when someone writes 5D they mean the current model.  So if you'd go with what people write, everything would be just fine.

jedinstvo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914
Like?
A 5D is worth a lot more than five hundred bucks

Which is what they're going for now. A great camera.

gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,923Gear list
Like?

The short answer is "yes", the 5D still competes very well with most modern cameras.  While it's "only" 12.8mp and tops out at ISO 3200, they are some of the sharpest pixels you will find and 3200 is very usable.

My 5D gets alot of use even though I also have a 5D2 in the bag.  The old model produces images that just have a nice look to them.  The 5D2 is my go-to body for my architectural jobs (where I wish I could afford medium format IQ), for most other things I use the 5D.  I rarely find the resolution to be limiting, and I've made 20x30 inch prints from this camera that look spectacular.  Unless I know I will be needing higher ISO than 3200 I have no reserves about taking the 5D instead of the 2 for most applications.

I would not buy the 5D based on if it's better or worse than a newer APS-C model camera.  The latest crop sensors offer better ISO and more resolution (if your lenses are good enough).  Buy it if you want the characteristics a FF sensor offers.  Big sensors will always render an image differently than a smaller sensor.  Buy a 5D if you want the larger viewfinder, shallower DOF, to use lenses at their true focal lengths.  If you want that, the 5D is a great buy these days.

That said, I would not trade my 5D for any crop sensor camera Canon currently makes.

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 11,784Gear list
Like?

In most ways, modern Canon bodies beat it.  The latest bodies like the 5d2 and 5d3 provide higher resolution with better noise and DR.  Even the budget T4i and the 7d beat it in virtually every way.  It's not a bad camera considering what they go for now....but the latest bodies are better in build, screen, speed, accuracy, resolution, noise, DR, etc, etc.

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +8 more
Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 11,784Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rexgig0, Feb 7, 2013

Rexgig0 wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

scrane wrote:

With all due respect, we rarely label something as I, Mark I, or senior, until a II, Mark II, or junior arrives upon the scene. Once the Mark II arrives, it is much simpler to use 1, I, 5D1, or Mark I, than type a longer description. We know what it means, and it avoids confusion, as some folks use "5D" loosely, when referring to the current 5D model.

Moreover, unlike some automobile and firearms companies think, "Classic" is a title that is earned, not self-proclaimed. I believe the original 5D has earned the title of Classic. The early full-frame Canon DSLRs were a BIG thing in their day, causing much anguish among the Nikon folks, and at its introduction, there was nothing else like the 5D, the first light-weight full-frame DSLR. I do not, however, use "5DC."

If that is the case, why don't we see constant reference to the Canon 1D Classic and the Canon 1Ds Classic, and the Nikon D2x Classic and the Nikon D3 Classic......is it because pros know the difference between 5D and 5D2 when the read a sentence?

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +8 more
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 8,303Gear list
Like?
5D classic is fantastic!

5Dc still beats any APS-C in natural sharpness, clarity and fine details and better in high ISOs also till ISO 3200. DXOMark confirms that. It has trademark creamy color rendition and stellar skin tone.

Any EF lenses still resolve more fine details (based on SNR - signal to noise ratio) on 5Dc and sharper than the same lenses or comparable EF-S lenses on Canon APS-C.

Canon 5D+24-105L vs 7D+17-55/2.8 vs Nikon D7000+17-55/2.8

5D still beats latest Canon 18mp APS-C in critical SNR and ColorTonality

Canon 5D vs 7D

It beats all much more expensive ISO 200 based Nikon 12mp FF cameras in IQ - D700, D3 and D3s under ISO 1600.

Indeed 5Dc is very good and very sharp. If I don't view/print large, 5Dc withstands my 5D2 and 5D3 to at least 2000-pixel wide. They look different. Sometime I prefer 5Dc colors and skin tone while 5D2 is a bit more contrast and darker. 5D3 looks sits between.

Grand Canyon NP

Local park

Beijing Olympic Game opening ceremony

Las Vegas

(text edited out by moderator)

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +19 more
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,265Gear list
Like?
Re: 5D classic is fantastic!
In reply to qianp2k, Feb 7, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

5Dc still beats any APS-C in natural sharpness, clarity and fine details and better in high ISOs also till ISO 3200. DXOMark confirms that. It has trademark creamy color rendition and stellar skin tone.

Any EF lenses still resolve more fine details (based on SNR - signal to noise ratio) on 5Dc and sharper than the same lenses or comparable EF-S lenses on Canon APS-C.

Canon 5D+24-105L vs 7D+17-55/2.8 vs Nikon D7000+17-55/2.8

5D still beats latest Canon 18mp APS-C in critical SNR and ColorTonality

Canon 5D vs 7D

It beats all much more expensive ISO 200 based Nikon 12mp FF cameras in IQ - D700, D3 and D3s under ISO 1600.

Indeed 5Dc is very good and very sharp. If I don't view/print large, 5Dc withstands my 5D2 and 5D3 to at least 2000-pixel wide. They look different. Sometime I prefer 5Dc colors and skin tone while 5D2 is a bit more contrast and darker. 5D3 looks sits between.

Grand Canyon NP

Local park

Beijing Olympic Game opening ceremony

Las Vegas

Ignore some noises here as one or two never experienced any 5D series cameras, nor have any photos can show but never hesitate in jumping threads when they smell magic word 5D, lol.

yep - I keep my magic 5dc for use in portraits with my 100L, 50, 35, and 70-200 f2.8 L. I don't even have a normal zoom for it

poor man's 5d for sure. I can just say like Seinfeld, I got 5d and people can spend the next hour trying to figure out which one, which until very high iso -- usually above 1600 they can't figure out

I like my T4i with touch screen, live view, and auto iso too!

My 60d has the best canon APC-s score at DXO - lol. Actually - love the 60d with magic lantern! lol. Once they complete magic lantern for my 5dc - they are working on beta btw - I'll put it on my 5dc and have a good native iso 6400 lol!

btw - the magic machine is about 1 stop better at hi iso than my best IQ canon APC-s in class 60d lol

the 5dc images are beautiful and pop-up lol

mine will die before I sell it lol

love the weak AA lol

I hope you didn't turn your magic machine into an IR machine lol

-- hide signature --
 MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
qianp2k
Like?
In reply to MAC, Feb 7, 2013

Yes I also keep my 5Dc as its colors and creamy tonality are special. Cannot wait to fire some shots with 5Dc with my latest lenses - 24-70L/2.8 II and 70-200L/2.8 IS II, 40/2.8 Pancake. They will be even better than the ones with 24-105L

Sure 5Dc lacking of bells and whistles on today's standard - LCD, dust, ISO 3200 only, lacking of LV.  One thing I don't have a complain is its IQ.

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +19 more
DVT80111
Senior MemberPosts: 1,174Gear list
Like?
Is it sharper because...

fewer pixels? 12.8M versus +20M?

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D
qianp2k
Like?
Re: Is it sharper because...
In reply to DVT80111, Feb 7, 2013

DVT80111 wrote:

Very weak AA filter and large pixel.  If I downsampling my 5D2/5D3 photos to the same size said 2000-pixel wide, they are very close but not really sharper.  5D2/3 noticeably resolves more at 3000-pixel wide.  I found 5Dc is especially shine in cloudy day or under soft light.

-- hide signature --
MAC
MAC
Like?
Re: Is it sharper because...
In reply to DVT80111, Feb 7, 2013

DVT80111 wrote:

weak AA allows one to use zero sharpness in LR at high iso with razor sharp lens

5d 100L, iso 3200, f5

example where sharpness trumps noise

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
MAC
MAC
Like?

qianp2k wrote:

Yes I also keep my 5Dc as its colors and creamy tonality are special. Cannot wait to fire some shots with 5Dc with my latest lenses - 24-70L/2.8 II and 70-200L/2.8 IS II, 40/2.8 Pancake. They will be even better than the ones with 24-105L

Sure 5Dc lacking of bells and whistles on today's standard - LCD, dust, ISO 3200 only, lacking of LV. One thing I don't have a complain is its IQ.

agree, with great lenses, 5d IQ keeps giving

5d 100L

-- hide signature --
jayrandomer
Contributing MemberPosts: 604
Like?
In reply to Dave Luttmann, Feb 7, 2013

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

scrane wrote:

If that is the case, why don't we see constant reference to the Canon 1D Classic and the Canon 1Ds Classic, and the Nikon D2x Classic and the Nikon D3 Classic......is it because pros know the difference between 5D and 5D2 when the read a sentence?

What's the problem with using 5Dc?  Sure, it was never called that by Canon, but enough people use the term that it has become recognizable.  Do you get equally upset when someone says the EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS I?  Or when someone mentions the 100mm macro (non L)?  The additional information, while not conforming to the official nomenclature, helps clarify the exact intent of the statement.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads