Just ordered a 50 mm macro

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions
skysurfer5
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?
Just ordered a 50 mm macro
Feb 6, 2013

The 50 will complete my set of HG lenses…finally :-).  I now have one of each (my 14-54 and 50-200 are Mk I, not Mk II) except for the vaporware 100 mm macro.  I may just have to break down and get an old Zuiko 90 mm macro.  BTW, KEH has one right now (http://www.keh.com/camera/Olympus--Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-OM06000008344N?r=FE), but this wasn't the right time for me to get it.  I also have the 35 macro and the original 40-150, which are both sweet lenses.  I may venture into SHG land some day, mainly for the 7-14 and 150.  I don't really have a need for the other SHGs for the foreseeable future.  Actually, a 7 mm prime would do me just fine, but that will never happen.

-- hide signature --

'Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?' …Winston S. Churchill

skysurfer5's gear list:skysurfer5's gear list
Olympus E-5
bofo777
Contributing MemberPosts: 628Gear list
Like?
Re: Just ordered a 50 mm macro
In reply to skysurfer5, Feb 6, 2013

You will love the 50mm as I do. This lens is great for macro, portrait , landscape, and low light photography and is almost the equal to the reproduction of light as my 35-100 and14-35 Super lenses...and is very light in weight to boot.....

bofo777's gear list:bofo777's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mariomirabile
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285Gear list
Like?
Excellent decision
In reply to skysurfer5, Feb 7, 2013

I've had mine for 4 years and never regretted buying it. Some people will complain about the slow and noisy focus, but the results it delivers are second to none, be it macro, portrait or anything in-between.

Here's a sample from last night...

Mario

Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,284Gear list
Like?
Re: Excellent decision
In reply to mariomirabile, Feb 7, 2013

It is a beauty of a lens, for a reasonable price.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +9 more
Rmark
Regular MemberPosts: 488Gear list
Like?

Its really a very nice lens, I've had mine for for 3 years and often use it with the 1.4 teleconverter for a little extra reach and to be able to stand off a bit when doing macro. the 1.4 only slows the lens by 1 stop to f2.8.

Rmark's gear list:Rmark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,943Gear list
Like?

skysurfer5 wrote:

The 50 will complete my set of HG lenses…finally :-). I now have one of each (my 14-54 and 50-200 are Mk I, not Mk II) except for the vaporware 100 mm macro. I may just have to break down and get an old Zuiko 90 mm macro. BTW, KEH has one right now (http://www.keh.com/camera/Olympus--Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-OM06000008344N?r=FE), but this wasn't the right time for me to get it. I also have the 35 macro and the original 40-150, which are both sweet lenses. I may venture into SHG land some day, mainly for the 7-14 and 150. I don't really have a need for the other SHGs for the foreseeable future. Actually, a 7 mm prime would do me just fine, but that will never happen.

-- hide signature --

'Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?' …Winston S. Churchill

Enjoy all of the lenses, each has their sweet spot and do tend to complement each other nicely.  And as for the 7-14 and 150, both of which I have, you can't go wrong with those either.  Throw in the 14-35 and 35-100 and you have a stunning foursome.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Rich Z
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,706Gear list
Like?

The ZD 50 mm macro is a great lens.  I enjoy mine constantly.  You will certainly be very happy with yours.  Rich

http://photobucket.com/dfr49_pix

SergeyGreen
Contributing MemberPosts: 582
Like?
Lovely image!
In reply to mariomirabile, Feb 7, 2013

mariomirabile wrote:

I've had mine for 4 years and never regretted buying it. Some people will complain about the slow and noisy focus, but the results it delivers are second to none, be it macro, portrait or anything in-between.

Here's a sample from last night...

Shutter speed1/4, was it from a tripod?

Mario

-- hide signature --

-sergey

rb dwn
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?

It would be my desert island pick.  Sharpness never ceases to amaze me. As others have said, macro is just one of its applications.

skysurfer5
Like?
In reply to Roger Engelken, Feb 7, 2013

I really don't see the 14-35 or 35-100 in my future.  I know both lenses are outstanding, but the former is too limited in focal length for me and the latter is far too heavy to hike with, which is a major component in my photography.  To cover these focal lengths when I hike, I sometimes take the 11-22 and 40-150 and other times its the 12-60 with the TC 1.4.

I did one hike two years ago with the E-5, 12-60, 50-200, 8 fisheye, TC 1.4, and a full-size tripod and said never again.  I'm getting too old to carry that much weight on a 12-mile hike, especially when you factor in food and water.  The hike--Toulumne Meadows to below Glen Aulin in Yosemite--is not a difficult hike, but that was too much weight.  As it was, 90% of the images from that hike were handheld with the 12-60.  The only time I used the tripod was for short videos of some waterfalls.  The extra weight for the additional gear wasn't worth it.  I now have a GorillaPod that will handle the E-5+12-60 so that will be my support system for future hiking.

On the other hand, the 7-14 and 150 fit my needs like a glove.  The 7-14 would expand my superwide capability for such places as Yosemite, doing certain types of time lapse, and even widefield astronomy imaging.  I usually use my two film cameras (OM-1N & OM-4T) with lenses ranging from a 15 mm Sigma fisheye to a Zuiko 135 f/3.5 for astronomy, but I have gotten some fair to good results from my DSLRs.  The 7-14 would be a good Milky Way lens when I don't want to use the 8 mm fisheye.

The 150 is the right focal length for our local zoo and candids (I do a lot of candids for our church's Children's Ministry program that make their way in to slide show presentations; I also do video for that too). The 150 would be wonderful for piggyback astronomy imaging in place of the Zuiko 135 f/3.5.  I am getting ready to order a better mount for astrophotography, which is part of the whole equation.

One of the attractions of photography that applies equally well to astronomy is that you never really run out of stuff to buy for it.  

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-5
skysurfer5
Like?
In reply to rb dwn, Feb 7, 2013

Yep.  My plans for the 50 mm are about 50% macro/closeup and about 50% general purpose, including some astronomy imaging.  My 35 mm use has been about 75% macro/closeup and about 25% general purpose, except I haven't used it for astronomy.  There's no reason the 35 wouldn't be useful in astronomy, but the 50 would be better, if for no other reason than f/2 provides more light for focusing.

My oldest daughter has already asked to borrow the 50 to use on her Pen (I can't remember which model, there are so many of them). She sometimes does "favor portraits" for friends who can't afford a professional and the 50 would be big upgrade.  Last year she did three sets of senior pictures and one set of engagement pictures.

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-5
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 638Gear list
Like?
In reply to skysurfer5, Feb 10, 2013

The 35-100mm is heavy, but if you use a Cotton Carrier vest to carry it on your hikes you will be just fine.

Scott Schryvers
Regular MemberPosts: 315
Like?
In reply to skysurfer5, Feb 11, 2013

I'm jealous, I'm looking at getting it or the 14-35 f/2.0. Set it for f/4.5 and relish in a sharpness that will blow your mind.

-- hide signature --

Without hate or fear be everything you've dreamed of being.
Olympus E-5 partnered with a Zuiko 8mm f/3.5 fisheye, 9-18 f/4.0 - 5.6, 14-54 f/2.8 - 3.5 mark I, 50-200 f/2.8 - 3.5 & the 70-300 f/4.0 - 5.6 lenses and 2x teleconverter and a FL-36 flash.

Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,943Gear list
Like?
In reply to skysurfer5, Feb 11, 2013

On most of my hikes along the Front Range of Colorado (I am 50 going on 51), I've used the 12-60 and 50-200 ZD lenses, though this past summer I did not yet have any of the SHG lenses.  There is indeed weight to the ZD 35-100, though I am going to give it a try this coming spring, summer and fall.  Enjoy your setup, for in the end, that is what works for you.  

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 638Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roger Engelken, Feb 11, 2013

Roger Engelken wrote:

On most of my hikes along the Front Range of Colorado (I am 50 going on 51), I've used the 12-60 and 50-200 ZD lenses, though this past summer I did not yet have any of the SHG lenses. There is indeed weight to the ZD 35-100, though I am going to give it a try this coming spring, summer and fall. Enjoy your setup, for in the end, that is what works for you.

Roger:

I have similar set up as you do and I will turn 53 later this month.   I do hike in the Sierra.  I posted a photo last week I took at Tahoe with the 35-100mm.  The trail was not particularly long but it involved snowshoes, trekking poles,  hard snow, ice and a descent about 600 feet or so over a distance of a mile and one-half each way.  I even crossed a very small stream.  I managed this with the cotton carrier with little trouble. (I wasn't thinking about the size and weight of the set up)

The cotton carrier vest makes it okay for me to haul around the 35-100mm on a hike.  It takes the weight from my neck distributes it to my shoulders.  It provides balance and more important it keeps the camera from swinging around.  (Sir Isaac Newton said something about a body in motion)  You don't want to have the 35-100mm mounted on an E-5 swinging around your neck.  It sits in a holster against your chest.  It has straps to connect the camera to the vest in case you let go when shooting. It is almost Craig proof.

It is extremely helpful with the 12-60mm and 50-200mm on the trail.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads