Nex 6 but now ?

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions
Steelergeek69
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
Nex 6 but now ?
Feb 6, 2013

Message Body:
Hi!. I have enjoyed your inputs for over many months. . I was set to buy a nex 6 or 5r but then started reading about the Oly omd em5. Saying how much better it is compared to nex camera ,This and that. Well I'm no pro but want to get into photography mostly taking pictures of my kids (3 &10) vacation,and many concerts(indoor). So what's your take on these two cameras(nex 6 vs OMD)? Lets say with the 35 1.8 lens and the oly 45 1.8 on the omd?all the reviews glorifying the omd is with a prime lens,but what about a nex with a prime on?thanks for your time

Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,574Gear list
Like?
Re: Nex 6 but now ?
In reply to Steelergeek69, Feb 6, 2013

Not a lot of people in the M43's forum no much about the nex but my guess is they are very close from a IQ standpoint and you would be better served worrying more about how they work for you from an ergonomic and features standpoint. Both are nice cameras if you are looking at getting into the hobby.

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,533Gear list
Like?

Steelergeek69 wrote:

Hi!. I have enjoyed your inputs for over many months. . I was set to buy a nex 6 or 5r but then started reading about the Oly omd em5. Saying how much better it is compared to nex camera ,This and that. Well I'm no pro but want to get into photography mostly taking pictures of my kids (3 &10) vacation,and many concerts(indoor). So what's your take on these two cameras(nex 6 vs OMD)? Lets say with the 35 1.8 lens and the oly 45 1.8 on the omd?all the reviews glorifying the omd is with a prime lens,but what about a nex with a prime on?thanks for your time

The NEX-6 is a pretty compelling camera, EXCEPT for the fact that the native lens selection is rather poor, except for the Zeiss 24mm. AND native NEX lenses tend to be rather large. The image quality probably beats any M4/3 camera.

Given the NEX lens situation, I see the NEX as a perfect platform for adapting manual lenses.

The OMD and the M4/3 system overall have a pretty wide range of lenses available, with more being added, from numerous companies, regularly. There's everything from the ultra-wide 7-14mm to 300mm zooms, to fast f0.95 primes and a LOT in between. PLUS, you can adapt nearly any lens made over the past 50+ years.

You really couldn't do much better than an OMD a few native M4/3 lenses.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,792Gear list
Like?
In reply to jeffharris, Feb 6, 2013

jeffharris wrote:

The NEX-6 is a pretty compelling camera, EXCEPT for the fact that the native lens selection is rather poor, except for the Zeiss 24mm. AND native NEX lenses tend to be rather large. The image quality probably beats any M4/3 camera.

The NEX lens lineup isn't nearly as poor as one might want to believe.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3376455

But what is indeed true is that the OM-D and NEX-6 are very closely-matched competitors with advantages to each, but neither to the point where one would be a deal-breaker for the other... which is unsurprising both being fairly polished (although with quirks to each) and well-rounded mass-market cameras (as opposed to relative exotics like medium-format digital backs, or the extremely niche the Sigma Foveon cameras).

Basically, a competent photographer can make both cameras work for him.  But you might like way one works/feels better than the other, hence the advice to play with both.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
howielenny
Contributing MemberPosts: 714Gear list
Like?

I went through the same situation and opted for the Omd. As has already been mentioned I think the lens selection has more choice with m43 and suits my needs better. Even though the image sensor is smaller on the OMD it's not far off the same image quality as my Nikon D7000 (I know as I've compared side by side comparisons).
I preferred the look and styling of the Omd which is why I chose Olympus. I'm also a big fan of the touch, focus, shoot with the Omd and Epl-5.
I don't think you will go wrong with either the Omd or Nex6 both are outstanding cameras and in the end, go with your gutt feeling.

howielenny's gear list:howielenny's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
TORN
Contributing MemberPosts: 721
Like?

I owned the Nex-7 and the E-M5 at the same time. The Nex-6 is pretty similar to the 7 but personally I like it better because of the sensor. In my opinion it is first about the lenses you will buy and second about ergonomics and third about design and your personal preference.

If you can find the perfect lenses for you then both systems do pretty well.

Strong points for the E-M5 are the build in IBIS (especially if compareable nex lenses have no stabilization), lens choice (especially if you want it really small)  and if you like it the touchscreen and the fastest autofocus of any mirrorless (the nex is still pretty good either).

The Nex-6 might be better for video and if you use legacy lenses the crop factor and focus peeking might be beneficial. I personally prefer ergonomics and design of the Nex.

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?

I own an NEX-6 and a Panasonic GX1.  Both are great cameras, but different.

I MUCH prefer the grip on the NEX to anything the rangefinder styled micro43 cameras have to offer.  If you should decide to go the legacy lens route, NEX would get my vote due to the smaller crop factor.

My NEX-6 came with the new 16-50mm collapsable zoom.  This is a really nice small lens and works very very well.  I give it two thumbs up.

NEX gets thumbs down for poorly designed menus, and limited flexability in reassigning functions to buttons.  Also no custom settings save slots.

Micro43 has a better selection of lenses, but NEX is starting to catch up.  The main thing with lenses is, decide what you really NEED, and then see if it is available in the mount of your choice.  Both are equally good with legacy glass.

Personally, I wouldn't buy an OMD because I don't want a faux DSLR.  If I want that style of camera, I will buy a real DSLR (with an OVF).  In fact, I have three, all FF.

Bottom, line, get into a store and handle each to help you decide if you like the 'feel' of it.  Buy whichever camera 'feels' better (assuming they have your needed lenses).  You really cannot go wrong no matter what you choose.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +39 more
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,919Gear list
Like?

Steelergeek69 wrote:

Message Body:

Read what Thom Hogan has to say concerning the reasons why he chose the E-M5 over the Nex-6 as the best serious mirrorless camera of 2012 (he abandoned his Nikon APSC camera for it! ).

and you can read his review of the E-M5 here . He hasn't yet reviewed the Nex-6, but reviewed the Nex-7 and the Nex-5.

I own an E-M5 which I like, but got interested in the Nex-6 and spent a long while holding it and trying it in a Sony shop. I liked the handling and along with the new pancake zoom (16-55) it is a very nice little camera. I don't know whether that zoom is good or not ? I found the E-M5's E-VF superior to the one in the Sony. The Sony is said to focus a bit slower, but I didn't find that disturbing. The lack of lenses is what would concern me.

Note that if you are concerned by the size, the E-Pl5 is also an extremely nice camera : it has the same sensor and IQ as the E-M5, has received some improvements in the menu system with respect to the E-M5withou will loose the five axis IBIS (it will have the same IBIS as the other Pens) and you will loose one dial. But it will be cheaper, lighter and more compact. You will loose the integrated E-VF, but there is a very good external one available (although it will then cost you almost as much as the E-M5 if you add it).

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

bunfoolio
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?
Touch, focus, shoot funtion.
In reply to howielenny, Feb 6, 2013

Do you know if the touch, focus, shoot funtion is on the E-pm2?  Tried it on a E-pl5 and it was amazing.

DmikeB
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?

There is quite a nice discussion started by somebody who owned the NEX6 and then OM-D here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3360912

I've never used the NEX6 but used the NEX5n and the OM-D. The NEX5n benefits slightly from a larger sensor but I hated the menu system for taking pictures of our toddler (changing what the camera was doing was fiddly) and the auto focus particularly when shooting inside had trouble keeping up. If it did focus in low light then the image quality was better than the OM-D at high ISO. My understanding is that focusing on the NEX6 is similar to the 5n (even with on sensor phase detect) and the larger number of control dials makes setting things up easier but still the menu system and limits as to what you can assign dials to do get in the way.

The OM-D is much more configurable but there is quite a steep learning curve in setting it up. The auto focus is a important step better in poor lighting. It does not have the nice grip of NEX cameras but I find it much more enjoyable to use than the 5N.

They are both great cameras. If I bought a camera again I'd go for the OM-D rather than the NEX6 for as a lot of my photography is my kid. I'd get the NEX6 if I wasn't photographing such a fast moving and changing subject meaning that both auto focus was not so important and setting up the camera quickly was not a priority.

DmikeB's gear list:DmikeB's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
markymark101
Senior MemberPosts: 1,007Gear list
Like?
Both are nice cameras.

Both will take great pics.

I was strongly considering the OMD and the NEX7 last year and went with the OMD for the following reasons:

1.  Lenses - at the time M43 smoked NEX on lenses.  That's changing, but m43 is still ahead.  I have alwasy firmily believed that lenses are more important than the body, and one is best served by buying the best lenses they can afford.

2.  Quick focus - OMD focused faster then the NEX7 - in fact the OMD, if the advertising can be believed, was the fastest focusing camera period.  I was pretty impressed with it.   Early reviews of the NEX7 did not exactly rave over it's focusing.  That may not be an issue now with the NEX.

3.  IQ on the NEX and the OMD is basically equal.  The larger sensor on the NEX may give you a bit more headroom in low light, but the OMD is pretty decent in that area.  The garbage about background blur is just that.  My OMD can blur the background, with proper lenses, as good as my  APS-C DSLR.   The only way you are going to significantly improve IQ with a larger sensor is to go FF DSLR.

4.  I just liked the OMD look and feel better.  The OMD is more DSLR-Like for me, and that's what I wanted.  DSLR function and IQ in a small package.

Both cameras are going to take nice pics.  Since you are new to photography, be aware there's going to be a learning curve.  Both cameras are complex and both have received bad raps for confusing menus.  Many people when they make the jump from a P&S to a higher end camera often find initially they don't take any better pics because they don't know how to get the best out of the camera.  If you are looking to get deeper into enjoying photography, then jump right in there and have fun.  But if you are just going to leave the camera on Auto, we'll you'll be spending a lot of money on basically a P&S.

Good luck.

markymark101's gear list:markymark101's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Everdog
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,837
Like?
Average to below average NEX lenses
In reply to DtEW, Feb 6, 2013

DtEW wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

If you look at the NEX line up you find a good $1100 Zeiss lens, a couple OK lenses, and many with very slow apertures.  You also see people claim adapters as lenses (you can get wide-angle adapters for ANY lens- check ebay), and a few poorly rated lenses.

The latest OSS lenses are a step in the right direction though.  No doubt that in a couple years, they will have a good line up.

Everdog
Like?
Lenses are for life - important to consider.

You will find that people change camera bodies every few years.  Some buy a new one every year.  But lenses are for life.  I still uses my minolta lenses from the early 80s.

You really should plan around the lenses you want/need and then buy the best.  After that pick the camera body.

rsmithgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 901
Like?

Either camera will be excellent for your needs as you have listed them. It comes down to handling and personal preference.

One thing in the OMD favor is that there are more options for second bodies, sometimes at very low prices in the m43 lineup. If you have thoughts about building a system with multiple camera bodies, m43 is a better fit. The epm1, GF3, or GF5 would give you a second camera that is much more pocketable. I have a G3 and a GF3. I take the G3 most times, but the GF3 with the 14mm pancake is a very small camera that can be taken without a case almost anywhere.

I do wish that Olympus and Panasonic would take a hard look at the NEX-6 form factor with the "humpless" EVF. IMO, that arrangement is preferable to hump on the OMD, G5, GH3, etc, and also preferable to the add-on EVF for the epm2. GX1, EPL5, etc.

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,346
Like?

Personaly I think  that both cameras are great. Both have their own strong points and both have their weak points.

IQ in all situations is very much alike.
Features, some features may appeal to you better then others.
Lenses: the FOV of the 35mm 1.8 lens is comparable with a ca. 50 mm lens on Full Frame, the 45mm 1.8 on the OM-D will have a FOV of a 90mm lens on a FF camera. So for normal indoor use you should use an other lens with a smaller FL on your OMD then the 45mm (about 25mm would be comparable with the 35mm lens on the Nex. Don't get me wrong, I'm telling nothing about quality, only about the use of the lens.
The Nex system is getting more and more very nice lenses (like the different primes and the 18-200 mm zoom and the 55-210mm zoom and the 10-18mm F4) you don't need the Zeiss, when you can get the very cheap 19mm and 30 mm Sigma, the 35mm Sony (with IS) the 50mm Sony (with IS) etc.
Handling is different for both cameras, and at this moment that is the most important part of the camera. So go to a shop and try both cameras and see which you like best.
​AF​: As far as test can tell at this moment the OM-d faster, but that does not mean that the Nex6 is not good enough.

Both cameras have Immage Stabilisation, the OM-d in the body (all lenses are stabilized) the Nex in lens. For running kids, fast moving rockstars etc. both are of no real use. For static subjects both will make a nice tool in low light.

Again try both cameras in the shop, you will gain nothing when you buy the "best"  camera when you don't use it for you don't like the handling of the camera.

BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
In reply to nevercat, Feb 6, 2013

I bought the NEX-6 and E-M5 at the same time.  Wound up sending the NEX back.  It's a really nice camera.  Deciding which one to keep wasn't an easy call.  But in the end the E-M5 is a lot snappier and has a much better selection of lenses.

The ergonomics of the NEX are superb.  I honestly don't see how you could advance them much further.  The grip is just perfect.  But at the end of the day, it still felt like a computer attached to a lens.  The E-M5 feels like a camera.

Heaven forbid Sony ever releases a FF NEX and gets their lenses sorted out...

Everdog
Like?
Perfect example and why lenses matter more
In reply to nevercat, Feb 6, 2013

nevercat wrote:

Personaly I think that both cameras are great. Both have their own strong points and both have their weak points.

IQ in all situations is very much alike.
Features, some features may appeal to you better then others.
Lenses: the FOV of the 35mm 1.8 lens is comparable with a ca. 50 mm lens on Full Frame, the 45mm 1.8 on the OM-D will have a FOV of a 90mm lens on a FF camera.

This is a great point.  Those lenses are completely different.

Let's compare similar lenses (approx 50mm Effective focal length):

The Sony 35mm OSS F1/.8 lens  which costs $459 on Amazon right now vs. The Leica 25mm F/1.4 lens that costs $499 on Amazon right now.

Both are stabilized (I argue the EM5 IS is better, but that is a different thread).  The Leica offers a wider aperture and will perform better in low light.  The Leica is by far the higher quality lens that you will want to use for decades.  It is in the same league as the $1100 NEX Zeiss lens while the 35mm NEX lens is not.

Everdog
Like?
It is.
In reply to bunfoolio, Feb 6, 2013

bunfoolio wrote:

Do you know if the touch, focus, shoot funtion is on the E-pm2? Tried it on a E-pl5 and it was amazing.

This is my favorite feature.  Tap anywhere on the screen, that becomes the focal point, and a picture is taken that instant.

The latest Panasonic and Olys have it including the E-PM2.

cptobvious
Regular MemberPosts: 462
Like?

I compared the two cameras' little brothers (NEX-5R and E-PL5) here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3378302.  They share much of the same guts (sensor, processor, AF) of the NEX-6 and E-M5 respectively so some of it applies.  Basically what it boils down to is whether you prefer good ergonomics and peak focus (Sony) or fast AF and smaller lenses (Olympus).  Between the NEX-6 and E-M5 I would probably go with the E-M5 because the ergonomic issue can be addressed partially with the grip.

I am considering the OM-D myself but am waiting for prices to drop.  If you buy into this system right now, you are paying Olympus huge markups on everything from the body and lenses to the $300 grip and $75+ lens hoods.

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,346
Like?
very good lenses for the NEX system
In reply to Everdog, Feb 6, 2013

Everdog wrote:

DtEW wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

If you look at the NEX line up you find a good $1100 Zeiss lens, a couple OK lenses, and many with very slow apertures. You also see people claim adapters as lenses (you can get wide-angle adapters for ANY lens- check ebay), and a few poorly rated lenses.

Well lets look at the lens lineup for the Nex shell we?

16 mm f2.8 pancake: mediocre ens, but in the right hands capable of taking stunning pictures
24 mm f1.8 CZ lens: Expensive but very good lens
30 mm f3.5 macro lens; not great, but nice fore food photography
35 mm F1.8 OSS lens: very good not to large lens
50 mm F1.8 OSS lens: Very good lens
Then the zooms:
10-18 mm F4 OSS lens: Good rather fast zoom lens
16-50 mm OSS lens very small lens, works quite well with the in camera correction of the Nex 6
18-55 mm OSS kit lens: rather good kit zoom lens
18-200mm OSS super zoom lens, good optical quality OSS optimized fpr zoom
55-210mm OSS zoom lens good optical quality

Then we have the very nice 19mm F2.8 Sigma lens (very cheap) and the 30mm F2.8 Sigma, both considderd very nice lenses.

Then there comes the 20mm F2.8 pancake lens we have to see what quality that lens will be.

So at this moment we have 12 different lenses for the Nex. 6 are not sllow at all. The slower lenses are all zoom lenses and a macro lens. One zoom lens is not slow for a 10-18mm zoom lens.

The latest OSS lenses are a step in the right direction though. No doubt that in a couple years, they will have a good line up.

I think that for most users the good lineup is allready there. for most (potential) users the Nex is a very good sysem at this moment.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads