Square Format?

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions
Hulamike
Senior MemberPosts: 2,810
Like?
Square Format?
Feb 5, 2013

Is there a dedicated square format digital camera out there short of $10,000? It could be a prosumer model I'm not familiar with, it just has to have a dedicated square format sensor or a selectable firmware crop I suppose. I am experimenting with a square format app on my iPhone, which I like quite well; but I'm ready for something more for professional use. Any suggestions?

Hulamike
Like?
Forgot. Needs to be interchangeable lens
In reply to Hulamike, Feb 5, 2013

Sorry. One of my ambitions is sq format with a fisheye. Camera would need to be interchangeable lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ryansholl
Contributing MemberPosts: 599
Like?
Re: Forgot. Needs to be interchangeable lens
In reply to Hulamike, Feb 6, 2013

And you are incapable of cropping, I guess?
If you want to see an image in a square format, put two pieces of electrical tape on the LCD and crop it when you're done.

Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,520Gear list
Like?
Re: Square Format?

Some of the DSLRs offer in-camera aspect ratio options.  The Canon 7D, as just one example, offers 7 aspect ratios - the native 3:4, 6:6 (square), 3:4, 4:5, 6:7, 10:12, and 5:7.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Hulamike
Like?
Re: Forgot. Needs to be interchangeable lens
In reply to ryansholl, Feb 6, 2013

Sure, I've thought of that. Just wondering if there was a low cost dedicated SF out there.

Hulamike
Like?
Wow
In reply to Sailor Blue, Feb 6, 2013

I didnt know that. Might have to dump 40 years of Nikon gear. About time a $3000 DSLR got as sophisticated as my $69 iphone and a $1 app. Thanks.

ps: we're living through the dark ages of digital you know, this transition from film format to something new, pretty soon all cameras will look and behave like a smart phone camera. A smart 4/3 camera would just about end our infatuation with full size DSLR. Think Lumix G5 with apps.

Joseph S Wisniewski
Forum ProPosts: 33,986Gear list
Like?
Panasonic micro four thirds...

Hulamike wrote:

Is there a dedicated square format digital camera out there short of $10,000?

There isn't one, at any price. Blad had one a while back, but it's been discontinued for years.

It could be a prosumer model I'm not familiar with, it just has to have a dedicated square format sensor or a selectable firmware crop I suppose. I am experimenting with a square format app on my iPhone, which I like quite well; but I'm ready for something more for professional use. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure which of the current Panasonic models can do this, but I first saw it in the GH1. They gave the camera a 3:2 rectangular sensor slightly larger than the normal four-thirds standard diagonal, so you get 4:3, 3:2, and 16:9 with a constant diagonal and full use of a lens's image circle. It does square, but not at the full diagonal. It does use the sensor's extra height, so you get a slightly larger square (in relation to the four thirds format) than you would just cropping to square on Nikon or Canon (relative to their respective formats).

Hopefully, Panasonic kept this feature on their later cameras.

Personally, though, I'd take a Canon or Nikon FF, one of the lower cost ones (6D, D600, used 5D II), get a square cropped focusing screen, and set up a Lightroom preset for a square crop. That gets you a 24mm square "effective" sensor and 16mp.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008. Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed. Ciao! Joseph www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
drh681
Forum ProPosts: 11,605Gear list
Like?
Re: Square Format: larger sensor but no inter changeable lens

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_g1_x#Specifications

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

drh681's gear list:drh681's gear list
Nokia Lumia Icon
Victor Engel
Forum ProPosts: 15,309Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow

Hulamike wrote:

ps: we're living through the dark ages of digital you know, this transition from film format to something new, pretty soon all cameras will look and behave like a smart phone camera. A smart 4/3 camera would just about end our infatuation with full size DSLR. Think Lumix G5 with apps.

How do you figure?

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +7 more
Hulamike
Like?
Panasonic G5 has it
In reply to Joseph S Wisniewski, Feb 6, 2013

Yes, looks like the Panasonic G5 offers a 1:1 aspect ratio in three resolutions no less. $598 at Amazon with 14-42 lens. Might be worth looking at. I believe it's a 16mp camera. No idea what the cropped 1:1 gives you. Certainly enough for what I'm doing.

Hulamike
Like?
In reply to Victor Engel, Feb 6, 2013

Pure guess Victor. As more pros are forced to adopt video along side still capture it seems logical to go with a small lightweight system to do it. I'm also influenced by recent video blogs by Will Crockett where he formally dumps Nikon in favor of Lumix for hybrid shooting, his phrase for stills/video assignments like weddings. He claims the video is superior to Nikon.

I'm also an avid iPhone photographer and see clearly that a touch screen and downloadable apps is the future for any camera manufacturer. Its rediculous that I cant download a square format app from Nikon right now for my $3000 DSLR. I can for my $69 iphone! The genie's out of the lamp. No turning back now.

Victor Engel
Forum ProPosts: 15,309Gear list
Like?

So your comment is more about the software/firmware than the hardware?

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +7 more
Hulamike
Like?
In reply to Victor Engel, Feb 6, 2013

Not really. I mention bemoaning the fact that I cant download apps directly to my D7000 for example. 4/3 is new territory for me. I assume a high rez camera like some of the Lumix combined with what are described as excellent lens choices means hardware is important. But you're right. I'm also talking about functionality on high end cameras. Seems silly that the lower consumer models are already becoming touch screen while the grand old dame, SLR, keeps lumbering along as always...and at a hefty price. I'm a pro and ALL my notions about photography have changed over the past two years. Why is the old 35 mm form factor still the holy graille? Remember how it came into being? Lots of 35mm movie film laying around after WWII. Hardly a reason to stay with old form and functionality concepts forever.

Hulamike
Like?
Most Lumix

Looks like most recent Lumix G cameras offer a 1:1 aspect ratio. Now to find a way to add a fisheye to one!

Hulamike
Like?
In reply to drh681, Feb 7, 2013

Thanks. There are obviously lots of choices I wasn't aware of. Maybe Nikon will get off its sorry okole.

drh681
Forum ProPosts: 11,605Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hulamike, Feb 7, 2013

Hulamike wrote:

Thanks. There are obviously lots of choices I wasn't aware of. Maybe Nikon will get off its sorry okole.

At least with that one you don't need to swap out an entire "ecosystem".

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

drh681's gear list:drh681's gear list
Nokia Lumia Icon
Hulamike
Like?
In reply to drh681, Feb 7, 2013

True dat..

Peter Galbavy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012
Like?
Re: Square Format?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Feb 7, 2013

Some of the DSLRs offer in-camera aspect ratio options. The Canon 7D, as just one example, offers 7 aspect ratios - the native 3:4, 6:6 (square), 3:4, 4:5, 6:7, 10:12, and 5:7.

If it's like my 1DsIII then it simply marks the metadata with the aspect ratio - and optionaly puts ratio lines on the LCD in direct view shooting. This is then used by DPP or whatever to post-process the shots later. If the 7D produces JPEGs out of the camera in different aspects then it's a +1 from me

-- hide signature --

Peter Galbavy

The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,021Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic G5 has it
In reply to Hulamike, Feb 8, 2013

Hulamike wrote:

Yes, looks like the Panasonic G5 offers a 1:1 aspect ratio in three resolutions no less. $598 at Amazon with 14-42 lens. Might be worth looking at. I believe it's a 16mp camera. No idea what the cropped 1:1 gives you. Certainly enough for what I'm doing.

So does the Fuji X10.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Hulamike
Like?
Re: Panasonic G5 has it
In reply to The Davinator, Feb 8, 2013

It's beginning to look like everything but DSLR offers 1:1. Pitty the x10 is fixed lens however. Want to use fisheye with square format.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads