GXR is not dead -new modules to come

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions
auggenblick
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
GXR is not dead -new modules to come
Feb 5, 2013

I attended a local fotoshow in our area last weekend. Pentax/Ricoh had some representaives and asking about future of GXR I was told new modules will be coming.

They explained that they are going through a consolidation phase coordinating and discussing new proejcts and ideas. Pentax proejcts had a certain priority due to theri stronger presence and importance in the market.

So , GXR is not dead they promised.

Just stay tuned and be patient.

This is also something good about Ricoh, they first think then act and do not flood market with new models but no real innovations.

Having looked at many MFT  and mirrorless I still like the GXR concept as it offers incredible user friendlyness , excellent handling and huge versatility. I got all GXR modules and some additional Zeiss and Voigtlnder lenses covering  most of my photography needs without need of lugging tons of equipment.

GXR shooting is fun, enjoy !!

Jurgen

auggenblick's gear list:auggenblick's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1
aleksanderpolo
Regular MemberPosts: 433
Like?
Re: GXR is not dead -new modules to come
In reply to auggenblick, Feb 5, 2013

Thank you for your update, it is good to hear.

Certainly funny to see all the "GXR is dead" "No, GXR is not dead" thread recently.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Earthrise
Regular MemberPosts: 384Gear list
Like?

Thank you for posting this, positive news! Got to ask though, any more details on which and when?

Earthrise's gear list:Earthrise's gear list
Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic +2 more
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,186
Like?
In reply to aleksanderpolo, Feb 5, 2013

aleksanderpolo wrote:

Thank you for your update, it is good to hear.

Certainly funny to see all the "GXR is dead" "No, GXR is not dead" thread recently.

Human society, goes through various camera ownership phases from: excitement about a rumour, teasing out of details, hand-wringing on delay, the excitement of the first new owner, the demand for sample images, complaints about details (reality sets in), exchange of information, pause while some photographs are taken, boredom, demand for new product.  Go back to start.

Lack of new excitement and dearth and society turns inwards, talk about nothing in particular becomes repetitive and vacuous, hopes rise and fall and imagination runs riot.  The rescuing army cannot be seen, the people turn to other brands in desperation, sometimes condemning their side, others loyally supporting it against all indications that relief will come before the last Ricoh in captivity fails.

Oh so dramatic!  Mea culpa.

Lets lead out a sally chaps - I am sure we can fight our way out to the relief party, if we can only find where they are camped. At least we believe there is a relief column, we know they hired Pentax to help.  Maybe the blacksmiths have not finished making their pikes?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,186
Like?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, Feb 5, 2013

Oops!

Sorry, I was supposed to write something sensible about cameras.

Sensible news:  Ricoh is alive and kicking, they are thinking about making something in the camera line, but they are not dead, just resting. Everything else is pure speculation and vague runour until they wake up and let us know officially.

But let's keep talking about it for lack of anything else.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?

auggenblick wrote:

So , GXR is not dead they promised.

I'm not inclined to take the word of sales and marketing reps unless they are a) very high up the food chain and b) are committing to something in print.

Just stay tuned and be patient.

Patience is indeed required. Ricoh announced its interest in acquiring Pentax two years ago come July.

This is also something good about Ricoh, they first think then act and do not flood market with new models but no real innovations.

Certainly they are not flooding the market with anything.

Gerd Waloszek
Contributing MemberPosts: 755Gear list
Like?

I am not sure whether I should be happy with this news. I was just mentally queuing up for a Leica M240 (only waiting for the price's decimal point to be moved one position to the left)...

Best regards, Gerd

Gerd Waloszek's gear list:Gerd Waloszek's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Ricoh GR Leica X Vario Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 +4 more
anthony mazzeri
Senior MemberPosts: 1,642
Like?

Thanks Jurgen, I'm going to assume a GXR II body iwill accompany any new modules as well after all this time.

Anyway, it will be very welcome news for this forum as I don't think it could survive with just the GRD as Ricoh's solitary camera model!

sroute
Like?
In reply to Gerd Waloszek, Feb 5, 2013

Gerd Waloszek wrote:

I am not sure whether I should be happy with this news.

What was said doesn't qualify as "news". A comment from a low level sales rep at a local event does not a corporate commitment make.

There is no news. No official news. No leaks of any substance. Nothing.

Everything is exactly as it was yesterday, last month, and last year. Nothing.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to sroute, Feb 5, 2013

sroute wrote:

Gerd Waloszek wrote:

What was said doesn't qualify as "news". A comment from a low level sales rep at a local event does not a corporate commitment make.

Exactly.  You would have to be beyond gullible to believe as gospel words from a no name Ricoh srub.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
SubieRun
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?

sroute wrote:

Gerd Waloszek wrote:

Well, you are wrong here.

Ricoh representative from higher up in the food chain actually said during an recent interview for a Japanese magazine that there ARE new releases for this year, 2013. When pressed on what to expect he was smilingly unwilling to disclose exactly what to expect (as Ricoh usually are) but when Japanese corporate representatives uses words like "we are coming back strong" it is enough to raise an eyebrow.

As for low level sales reps don't underestimate them.

I knew the A12/28mm was coming before it was announced.

I knew the exact release date for the A12 M module ahead of time. I also knew there was going to be one before the media did - I did not know about specifics (sensor size etc) but this info came from a vendor of Ricoh products who was the second best seller of Ricoh gear and his country and was told about the M module by the Japanese Ricoh reps visiting his country wanting to know why and how he was so successful for being such a small scale vendor yet being the second best selling Ricoh outfit.

I also had a friend working Ricoh office equipment who had a colleague next door in charge of Ricoh camera products and he usually knew something was up and he could "hint" a little before actual release but I am sure he knew more than I got to know.

sroute
Like?
In reply to SubieRun, Feb 5, 2013

And do you know of anything coming down the pike from your usual deep throat source?

No?

I rest my case.

sroute
Like?

But if starved for product, one could always get this camera rather than waiting for Ricoh to announce or do something with its GXR or GRD products.

Cute, and tasteful, isn't it? It says "Adventure Proof", implying no adventures are in store for owners. Don't owners of a waterproof camera actually seek out adventure?

Maybe it should say "Boring Cam" instead?

SubieRun
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, Feb 5, 2013

Well, cram a sock in it Ratty

Read my post which is REAL LIFE experience with "behind the scenes announcements" and not made up stuff.

I got one of the first M modules in my country by the way. And I knew of one who had one in his posession one month before official release.

So far I have only gotten wrong info once - and that was that the M module would probably be A16. Unfortunately the sales rep for Ricoh camera has been handed over to the Pentax sales department, now Ricoh Pentax so my crystal ball went from small, but accurate to blackening out.

I think that you cannot rely on sales reps for final info but I am also sure they know more than they say unless it is a hired bimbo och jombo sitting in the booth just handing out brochures. I also know that if they value their non disclosure policy and their jobs they know better than to leak info when told not to.

Would you spill your company beans left and right just to please people Ratty? Didn't think so.

sroute
Like?

Another tasteful restrained camera in a line of same:

So well executed was the Marc Newson designed K-01 that they were blowing them out the door at fire-sale prices less than a year after introduction.

sroute
Like?

Not sure which post you are responding to, but I am the one asking if you have received a hot tip from your usual sources. If not, then lets agree the status quo exists - no news, no product. It's been that way for a very long time. The only camera company with less news than Ricoh Pentax is Kodak and they are deader than road-kill.

SubieRun wrote:

I think that you cannot rely on sales reps for final info but I am also sure they know more than they say unless it is a hired bimbo och jombo sitting in the booth just handing out brochures.

Sales reps are motivated by their compensation plan and nothing else. Sales managers design compensation plans around performance, and sales performance can only be had if you sell what is on the truck.

Sales reps are usually the last to learn of major developments because their managers, or their manager's managers and their executive bosses, don't want them blabbing about new developments to prospective clients.

Prospective clients don't buy old product (the stuff that is "on the truck") once they hear there is something shiny and new coming.

The very best way of keeping a lid on such problems is to keep the sales team uninformed and in many if not most sales organizations that is exactly what they do.

(My experience is in high tech sales for several Fortune 500 companies)

I also know that if they value their non disclosure policy and their jobs they know better than to leak info when told not to.

Some rep meets a camera enthusiast at a show. Enthusiast asks, hopefully, "is there anything new coming?"

A rep can always answer yes without risk of being fired. And a rep that works for a consumer products company knows they can answer yes without risk of being too wrong, because there is always something coming down the road.

A rep talking to walk-in Joe Sixpack buyers prospects and tire kickers has no meaningful credibility to lose (rep will never meet Joe Sixpack again more than likely), which is a completely different proposition than a rep talking to buyers of major retailers. When you start to get info from retailers, then its time to believe it. On a show floor? Fuggedaboutit.

Truth is he or she probably doesn't know, unless there is something about to be released. It just doesn't make sense to inform the sales team about consumer products until things are close.

Put more simply, everyone says yes, whether there is something coming or not, and whether they know the details or not. Said rep doesn't say "no" because that invites an unpleasant discussion with some nobody on the show floor. Who wants that?

Would you spill your company beans left and right just to please people Ratty? Didn't think so.

The rep isn't spilling anything.

SubieRun
Like?

sroute wrote:

And do you know of anything coming down the pike from your usual deep throat source?

No?

I rest my case.

Since you did not put on your reading glasses I will clarify it for you:

I have always gotten accurate info before, about two to three months before actual product release.

In the case of the A12 M mount I knew about it half a YEAR before release. I got misinformed about it being an A16 mount. I turned out that the A16 mount was in fact the zoom lens.

I knew about the zoom lens and was initially very interested in it until I learned that it was quite large, not so fast and power zoom/zoom by wire. This I learned only a few weeks prior to release.

Ricoh sales rep has now been handed over to an entirely different company. The guy at Ricoh is a childhood friend of mine and a long time Ricoh employee. Not very deep throat guy - but someone in the loop. Now his colleague is OUT of the loop for over a year so NO - there is no more inside info for me.

Also, I honored him by not publicly announcing it on the internet. But I knew, and let a few guys know too.

The only reason I am comfortable telling anyone openly about the fact that I DID have info is because the persons supplying that info is no longer working with the product portfolio.

I would never tell YOU anything but if I had any info I might tell SOME people offline and let them decide whether to spread it or not. I can't control that.

I rest MY case.

By the way, I still have great Fuji contacts. But that is another story. With the risk of slipping my tongue I don't even read the Fuji forum.

sroute
Like?

SubieRun wrote:
Since you did not put on your reading glasses I will clarify it for you:

Ricoh sales rep has now been handed over to an entirely different company. The guy at Ricoh is a childhood friend of mine and a long time Ricoh employee. Not very deep throat guy - but someone in the loop. Now his colleague is OUT of the loop for over a year so NO - there is no more inside info for me.

I did read your post and understood it perfectly which is why mine still stands. What I can't understand is how you failed to miss the meaning of mine?

We are not talking about how you got info in the past. At this point you yourself have said you have no reliable information pipeline to Ricoh insider information.¬†Why even bother mentioning the info access you once had? You get no special divine insight on the rumours spread by others by virtue of a past relationship which no longer is fruitful.

Nothing has changed, there is exactly as much known today about Ricoh's plans for the GXR and other such products as was known this time last year.

Nothing.

SubieRun
Like?

sroute wrote:

Another tasteful restrained camera in a line of same:

So well executed was the Marc Newson designed K-01 that they were blowing them out the door at fire-sale prices less than a year after introduction.

sroute:

now that was in my eyes a crap camera. Mark Nuisance did not want to have any photographers input as it would interfere with his "design". It is riddled with design flaws. But it is a Pentax camera and nothing to do with Ricoh except that they inherited the baggage.

Is this how you normally interact with people? It is like if I knew you were into a certain brand and started making "cross brand comparisons" that would not hold water just to prove a point that isn't there.

I never used the term "straw man argumentation" before but I think you are a classic, text book example of one trying to pull one off.

SubieRun
Like?

Aw, C'mon, sorry to sound so harsh, sroute, but the fact that they have officially said that SOMETHING is coming is at least SOME news.

No solid news, I'll give you that.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads