5N update

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions
Jack West
Senior MemberPosts: 1,117
Like?
5N update
Feb 5, 2013

i updated my 5n on my 10.8 mac with no problems to ver 1.02 i'm reading on here that there are lens upgrades as well? do i need these? i have the pancake-kit-50 & 18-200[older] thanks

dannytang
Regular MemberPosts: 119Gear list
Like?
Re: 5N update
In reply to Jack West, Feb 5, 2013

I believe the lens upgrades only apply if you have one of the new bodies that support hybrid AF.

dannytang's gear list:dannytang's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
neok
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?

That's great. Did you also try to read RAW files? I'm afraid the change in RAW format might cause them not to be read anymore by osx/aperture/iphotot.

Koen

-- hide signature --
 neok's gear list:neok's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Apple Aperture +4 more
Howard ret
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
In reply to neok, Feb 5, 2013

Can you see any improvement in autofocus with kit lens? Also curious if camera raw out of cs 5.1 can read files?

Kalabalik
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?

Just updated my 5N to 1.02. Where can I find the new bracketing settings?

Kalabalik's gear list:Kalabalik's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
RenePR
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
In reply to Kalabalik, Feb 5, 2013

Press the option selection where the old bracketing is. Left soft key

Rene

Philip Corlis
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?

Did you have to open the upgrade in 32 bit mode or is it 64 bit compatible on your Mac?

-- hide signature --

Phil
www.PhilCorlis.com
www.FindingBritain.com

cactusgeorge
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kalabalik, Feb 5, 2013

Camera>Drive Mode>Bracket>Option button>Select Bracket

Only works in PASM modes

Philip Corlis
Like?
In reply to Philip Corlis, Feb 5, 2013

Never mind - answered my own question - the update is good to go in OS 10.8.2 64 bit mode.

-- hide signature --

Phil
www.PhilCorlis.com
www.FindingBritain.com

Howard ret
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
In reply to Philip Corlis, Feb 6, 2013

Worked in 64 bit? Instructions say 32. See any improvements with 5n autofocus? Still able to read raw files in camera raw?

Philip Corlis
Like?
In reply to Howard ret, Feb 6, 2013

Fired up my Mac (10.8.2) and the update opened and went off without a hitch. RAW files opened in Lightroom no problem. Too early to tell about autofocus vs placebo effect from a shiny new upgrade. Thrilled to see brackets up to +/- 3 stops!

-- hide signature --

Phil
www.PhilCorlis.com
www.FindingBritain.com

ricklangdon
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
In reply to Jack West, Feb 6, 2013

Why no on/off for video button????

Beaverhelmet
Contributing MemberPosts: 562Gear list
Like?
In reply to ricklangdon, Feb 6, 2013

ricklangdon wrote:

Why no on/off for video button????

If it is any consolation, I think you can get used to it. I now have a 5N and a 5 before that. During the first months with the 5, I inadvertedly pushed the rec button a lot of times, and it was frustrating. Now I never do it (the 5N has the rec button exactly at the same place as the 5). Seems you learn how to grab and handle the camera after some use. And I am quite happy to have immediate access to the movie function in case that unbelievable once in a lifetime moment occurs. A firmware for the A77 adressed this button and I tried it for a while, but realized it was too much of a hassle to capture a clip this way, so I turned the button on again. The optimal solution, for me, would be a two button solution, like push the shutter button while you hold the rec button and recording begins immediately. But we all use our cameras differently and I am sure others wouldn't like this solution either.

And I recently updated to FW 1.02 in my 5N. Haven't tried the bracketing yet, but I noticed an increase in UI speed. At first when I swapped from 5 to 5N I noticed that my new camera actually was slower in response in the menus and buttons. Now it is just as snappy as my old 5. Thanks for that Sony!

Beaverhelmet's gear list:Beaverhelmet's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 +6 more
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,279
Like?
We should all thank Sony for an update on an earlier model, the 5n
In reply to Beaverhelmet, Feb 6, 2013

I wish all the camera companies would do that. Seems one upgrade and then a new camera comes out. Kudos to Sony for being different.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

neok
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
In reply to Philip Corlis, Feb 6, 2013

Philip Corlis wrote:

Fired up my Mac (10.8.2) and the update opened and went off without a hitch. RAW files opened in Lightroom no problem. Too early to tell about autofocus vs placebo effect from a shiny new upgrade. Thrilled to see brackets up to +/- 3 stops!

-- hide signature --

Phil
www.PhilCorlis.com
www.FindingBritain.com

You say RAW files open in Lightroom without a hitch. As far as I know Lightroom does have its own RAW processor and does not use the RAW processor of OSX. Do the new RAW files also open in Preview/Aperture/iPhoto? These programs use the RAW processor of OSX. As an Aperture user I am very hesitant to install the new update.

Koen

-- hide signature --
 neok's gear list:neok's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Apple Aperture +4 more
Letsgokoulos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,423
Like?
Re: We should all thank Sony for an update on an earlier model, the 5n
In reply to Fredy Ross, Feb 6, 2013

Fredy Ross wrote:

I wish all the camera companies would do that. Seems one upgrade and then a new camera comes out. Kudos to Sony for being different.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

+1

And most companies proposing an upgrade actually propose a correcting update for bugs or major fonctional problems.

There have been quite a few updates in the NEX series since their introduction on the market, and most implemented additional features or improvements over a few corrections.

Marc

dannytang
Regular MemberPosts: 119Gear list
Like?
In reply to neok, Feb 6, 2013

neok wrote:

Philip Corlis wrote:

-- hide signature --

Phil
www.PhilCorlis.com
www.FindingBritain.com

You say RAW files open in Lightroom without a hitch. As far as I know Lightroom does have its own RAW processor and does not use the RAW processor of OSX. Do the new RAW files also open in Preview/Aperture/iPhoto? These programs use the RAW processor of OSX. As an Aperture user I am very hesitant to install the new update.

Koen

-- hide signature --

I don't use iPhoto or Aperture, but Quick Look and Preview had no trouble with the files.

dannytang's gear list:dannytang's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Kuturgan
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jack West, Feb 6, 2013

FW upgrade installed with success! LR4.2 supports new RAW files.

I'm really excited about new RAW Bracketing option and BTW today is my birthday

So thank you SONY for this long-awaited GIFT!

-- hide signature --

Don't take a picture, create!

Kuturgan's gear list:Kuturgan's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads