SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,931Gear list
Like?
IR: G5 Review
Feb 4, 2013
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,466Gear list
Like?
Re: IR: G5 Review
In reply to SHood, Feb 4, 2013

Thank you for informing.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pdpics
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Feb 5, 2013

We finally have a review of the G5!

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,967Gear list
Like?
In reply to SHood, Feb 5, 2013

Good balanced review which makes it all the more difficult to understand why DP hasn't done the full review yet.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
adrianf2
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
In reply to Hen3ry, Feb 5, 2013

Hen3ry wrote:

Good balanced review which makes it all the more difficult to understand why DP hasn't done the full review yet.

Cheers, geoff

If you look at the latest review I think you have your answer.

Eskilsson
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?
In reply to adrianf2, Feb 5, 2013

adrianf2 wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

Cheers, geoff

Hmmm. I didn`t understand that. Clue?

Eskilsson's gear list:Eskilsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,189Gear list
Like?

The reviewers sees little difference between the G5 and the EM-5 with respect to IQ - perhaps the slightest of advantages to the latter.  Doesn't mention DR.

F.

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,283
Like?
Well written review

A well written review and he sees it pretty much as I do.

I like this idea

“I've personally always wanted a lockout switch for compact digital cameras that would deactivate the rear rocker dial unless the switch was pressed, at which point the rocker dial would become active for a few seconds.”

I’d go a stage further and have the ability to switch off all functionality that you have no intention of using. I’d be more than happy to rescue them from the depth of the menu system if I wanted them back.

A rather interesting statement here which flies in the face of most other commentators

“The focus tracking modes worked very well for everything from running toddlers to speeding cars and were much faster than most DSLRs in the same price category.”

He places a lot of emphasis on focusing speed which I feel cannot be understated. If other cameras are better than they must be very very fast

-- hide signature --
Skip
Senior MemberPosts: 1,778Gear list
Like?
 Skip's gear list:Skip's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
adrianf2
Like?
In reply to Eskilsson, Feb 5, 2013

Eskilsson wrote:

adrianf2 wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

Cheers, geoff

Hmmm. I didn`t understand that. Clue?

Sorry, I didn't mean to be obtuse, just that DPR seems to have different priorities these days - don't think they'll bother with the G5, but I could be wrong - maybe it doesn't sell enough in the US?

The linked review is very good though.

eagle_I
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670
Like?
Re: Well written review
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Feb 7, 2013

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

“The focus tracking modes worked very well for everything from running toddlers to speeding cars and were much faster than most DSLRs in the same price category.”

He places a lot of emphasis on focusing speed which I feel cannot be understated. If other cameras are better than they must be very very fast

Trevor - Does this mean it's working well for the birds in flight shooting you do?

Mark

Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,283
Like?
Re: Well written review
In reply to eagle_I, Feb 7, 2013

eagle_I wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Trevor - Does this mean it's working well for the birds in flight shooting you do?

Mark

Yes.  The reason why the focus tracking has never been an issue for me is because the auto focus is blisteringly quick.  Not as quick on the 100-300 as on the 14-42 where it seems to focus before I pick up the camera but still really good compared to what I am used to (E620 and 70-300).

After seeing the review's tracking shots I might have to give it a go on some of my other moving target shots (planes, trains and cars) but I still feel more comfortable with AFS on the birds.

-- hide signature --
adrianf2
Like?
In reply to Skip, Feb 8, 2013

The focus tracking results are particularly interesting, especially compared to entry level DSLR cameras.

jimkh
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
In reply to adrianf2, Feb 8, 2013

Thanks for the link. Camera Labs has also done a lengthy review making heavy use of Nex 6 comparisons mostly favorable to the G5.

Yesterday I started a nother thread (again) questioning why DPR has not puiblished a complete review some 6 months after the preview. Today I find that this thread is "Locked Out" I have no idea why. Any ideas?

-- hide signature --

Jim

jimkh's gear list:jimkh's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +9 more
adrianf2
Like?
In reply to jimkh, Feb 8, 2013

jimkh wrote:

Thanks for the link. Camera Labs has also done a lengthy review making heavy use of Nex 6 comparisons mostly favorable to the G5.

Yesterday I started a nother thread (again) questioning why DPR has not puiblished a complete review some 6 months after the preview. Today I find that this thread is "Locked Out" I have no idea why. Any ideas?

-- hide signature --

Jim

Yes, I didn't get that either. Probably getting sick of the criticism and dropped the planned review because it's not a huge seller in the US. Don't know, but we're just left with speculation due to the absence of an explanation.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads