Printer recommendations for Mac OSX 10.8 ?

Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions
Curtis2
Regular MemberPosts: 295
Like?
Printer recommendations for Mac OSX 10.8 ?
Feb 4, 2013

I just got a new iMac and of course my trusty old Canon i860 won't work with it so I'm shopping for a new printer.

I already have a scanner so I really don't need anything but a standalone printer.

I'm seeing some printers that say they work with OSX 10.6 (some HPs etc.) but I'm wondering whether the manufacturers have just been too lazy to update the specs to show compatibility with 10.8 or if they really don't work with 10.8.

I see that Apple only sells Epson and HP all-in-ones in their online store. No standalone printers and no Canons whatsoever.

In short, I'm open to suggestions and insight.

Samsung i8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rkelac
Regular MemberPosts: 466Gear list
Like?
Re: Printer recommendations for Mac OSX 10.8 ?
In reply to Curtis2, Feb 4, 2013

I would think that most modern printers are supported by 10.8. Maybe if you could be a little more specific with the type of printer you would like or even give a specific printer you are interested in some on the forum might be able to give you their experience. I have old HPs, a newer Canon, and two new Epsons that work fine with 10.8.

To get started printing photographs, if you line in US, the Canon Pro 9000 is very inexpensive now and is a great printer.  Works fine with 10.8.

Rkelac's gear list:Rkelac's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,218Gear list
Like?

May I suggest you browse Epson's site? My r2880 is fine on Mac, abet with more of a pain in the butt with drivers than I would have expected.  Anything with a minimum of 13 x 19. More ink cartridges is better than fewer.

-- hide signature --

One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

Curtis2
Like?
In reply to Rkelac, Feb 4, 2013

Rkelac wrote:

Maybe if you could be a little more specific with the type of printer you would like or even give a specific printer you are interested in some on the forum might be able to give you their experience.

I guess I'm looking for a standalone printer that uses 4 or 5  ink tanks and works on wi-fi. I don't print many photos but it's nice to have the capability. I really liked the Canon i860. Too bad it doesn't work with 10.8. It did what I needed. I don't need 2 sided or anything fancy. A paper tray might be nice. The i860 didn't have one. Not essential though. Availability of generics is a plus. 8 1/2 X 11 paper.

hjr13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457Gear list
Like?

Curtis2 wrote:

Rkelac wrote:

Maybe if you could be a little more specific with the type of printer you would like or even give a specific printer you are interested in some on the forum might be able to give you their experience.

I guess I'm looking for a standalone printer that uses 4 or 5 ink tanks and works on wi-fi. I don't print many photos but it's nice to have the capability. I really liked the Canon i860. Too bad it doesn't work with 10.8. It did what I needed. I don't need 2 sided or anything fancy. A paper tray might be nice. The i860 didn't have one. Not essential though. Availability of generics is a plus. 8 1/2 X 11 paper.

I have the canon mx860, and it works with 10.8 if that is any help.

hjr13's gear list:hjr13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100
Doug R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,470
Like?
In reply to Curtis2, Feb 5, 2013

Good deals to be had on IPF6400 works fine with 10.8.

-- hide signature --

Doug

djworland
Contributing MemberPosts: 835
Like?
Try this first...
In reply to Curtis2, Feb 5, 2013

just a suggestion before you trash your present printer. Try doing an apple software update while your printer is on and connected. Sometimes apple does print driver updates when it sees a printer online.

Curtis2
Like?
Re: Try this first...
In reply to djworland, Feb 5, 2013

djworland wrote:

just a suggestion before you trash your present printer. Try doing an apple software update while your printer is on and connected. Sometimes apple does print driver updates when it sees a printer online.

Thanks but Apple gets their printer driver updates from the printer manufacturers. Canon doesn't have a driver for the i860 that works with 10.8.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads