How much DOF do you like?

Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions
Christoph v Ballmoos
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
How much DOF do you like?
Feb 4, 2013

Hi,

Yesterday, when I looked at my pics from the afternoon, I found a burst of pics from my dog with almost identical photos, except for the aperture setting (and the obvious consequences ;-). Of course, I know all the DOF comparisons with boring objects, but now I had something from the real world.

And while it is obvious, that the one at f2.2 looks more artistic, I am not completely sure, which one I like more.

What do think? Is it a clear case for you? Do you have similar comparisons, where you feel unsure? Would be interesting to see other examples.

Thanks for watching, please feel to C&C.

5D + 135f2

f2.2

f4

f10

Cheers,

Christoph

Christoph v Ballmoos's gear list:Christoph v Ballmoos's gear list
Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sovern
Contributing MemberPosts: 907
Like?
Re: How much DOF do you like?
In reply to Christoph v Ballmoos, Feb 4, 2013

It's all personal opinion. It depends on the back drop, subject, and how much you want in the scene a long with the lighting.

Personally I prefer shot #2 at F4 as it introduces just enough of the background.

I think that the whole *lets blow the background out with a fast prime no manner what* mentality and style of photography is over rated.

The best shots that I've seen are from photographers that know when depth is appropriate and when lack of depth is appropriate to what they're trying to portray in their photo.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,268Gear list
Like?
why f2.2 on the 135?

put the aperture on F2.0 and leave it there!

Christoph v Ballmoos wrote:

Hi,

Yesterday, when I looked at my pics from the afternoon, I found a burst of pics from my dog with almost identical photos, except for the aperture setting (and the obvious consequences ;-). Of course, I know all the DOF comparisons with boring objects, but now I had something from the real world.

And while it is obvious, that the one at f2.2 looks more artistic, I am not completely sure, which one I like more.

What do think? Is it a clear case for you? Do you have similar comparisons, where you feel unsure? Would be interesting to see other examples.

5D + 135f2

f2.2

f4

f10

Cheers,

Christoph

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Sovern
Contributing MemberPosts: 907
Like?

Actually looking at it again I like the F10 photo the best. The background really compliments the subject plus it's exposed correctly.

Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 23,178
Like?
Great thread!

Hi,

And while it is obvious, that the one at f2.2 looks more artistic, I am not completely sure, which one I like more.

Nice idea for a thread!  For the particular photo you posted, I think a little more DOF than the f/4 pic would be my favorite, so I vote for f/5.6 for this particular pic.

5D + 135f2

f2.2

f4

f10

Cheers,

Christoph

Christoph v Ballmoos
Like?
Re: why f2.2 on the 135?
In reply to MAC, Feb 4, 2013

MAC wrote:

That seems a bit boring fur sure...

although  it is fantastic at f2, limitation is rarely a good strategy...

no, I have the shot at f2 as well, but the one at f2.2 looked similar, but the dog was crispier. Will check again tonight. Before that, I had a high aperture setting to get more DOF when the dog was running. And while taking this series, I saw, that I was till at f10 and just turned the wheel down to decrease the aperture number, and by that, I obviously  stopped at f4 and f2.2 for a shot. I will check, if I have one at f5.6 as well.

Cheers,

Christoph

Mike CH
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,035Gear list
Like?

#1, then #3 and then, far off, #2.

The semi-mid-aperture in #2 is far too nervous in my opinion. I prefer it rather more blurred, like in #1, or - if not possible - then crisper, like in #3.

Perhaps f/5.6 had eliminated some of that nervousness?

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
jayelae
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
In reply to Mike CH, Feb 4, 2013

My problem with #1 is that the dog almost looks as if it were shot separately then photoshopped or tacked onto the background since the background is too blurred. For me, f/4 up is nicer with perhaps f/5.6 or f/8 being possibly the best.

andrewD2
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,793
Like?

MAC wrote:

Its good wide open but the 135L is that bit sharper at f2.2 and there is less CA.

Andrew

Mike CH
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,035Gear list
Like?
In reply to jayelae, Feb 4, 2013

jayelae wrote:

My problem with #1 is that the dog almost looks as if it were shot separately then photoshopped or tacked onto the background since the background is too blurred.

Yep - that is an effect you risk with the very narrow DOF.

Before we had PS, the reaction might have been, "Oh, extreme subject isolation!"?

For me, f/4 up is nicer with perhaps f/5.6 or f/8 being possibly the best.

I would have liked to also see a f/8 shot. The f/4 is, as mentioned, too nervous with branches almost outlined in double.

Very much a matter of taste, though. And, I openly admit, I like blurred backgrounds

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
jvkelley
Contributing MemberPosts: 810Gear list
Like?

Out of the the three, f/10 is my least favorite.  Your dog just starts to blend in to the background on that one.  I'm going back and forth on whether I like the f/2.2 or the f/4 better.

-- hide signature --

J.V.

jvkelley's gear list:jvkelley's gear list
Canon PowerShot S50 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +2 more
brian1366
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?
f2 and leave it there? Not for me

In my opinion, too many people shoot ​wide open​ and nothing else. You get nice bokeh for sure which is the lure of that method, but what you end up with is important features of the subject out of focus.

I like the f/4 shot because you've stopped down and I can see most of the dog's body sharply in focus. As others have said you could probably stop down more and still have great isolation of the subject from the background.  The f/2 shot doesn't keep the entire dog in focus and that takes away from the photo IMO.

brian1366's gear list:brian1366's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
MAC
MAC
Like?

MAC wrote:

although it is fantastic at f2, limitation is rarely a good strategy...

no, I have the shot at f2 as well, but the one at f2.2 looked similar, but the dog was crispier. Will check again tonight. Before that, I had a high aperture setting to get more DOF when the dog was running. And while taking this series, I saw, that I was till at f10 and just turned the wheel down to decrease the aperture number, and by that, I obviously stopped at f4 and f2.2 for a shot. I will check, if I have one at f5.6 as well.

Cheers,

Christoph

well, I take a different view.

the shot is about the dog - you have one of the best bokeh F2 lenses in your hands, what is so meaningful about the trees that should detract attention from the dog

carry a T4i and 15-85 as a second camera if you want shots with deep dof - the 135 is about one thing imo - isolation and bokeh

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Boxsternoob56
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?

for this particular shot no 3 is the best...other situations may dictate a different answer though!

-- hide signature --

Stuart

Boxsternoob56's gear list:Boxsternoob56's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +20 more
Christoph v Ballmoos
Like?
Here is the shot at f2... have none between f4 and f10

f2:

f2.2

f4

f10

Cheers,

Christoph

Christoph v Ballmoos
Like?

MAC wrote:

MAC wrote:

no, I have the shot at f2 as well, but the one at f2.2 looked similar, but the dog was crispier. Will check again tonight. Before that, I had a high aperture setting to get more DOF when the dog was running. And while taking this series, I saw, that I was till at f10 and just turned the wheel down to decrease the aperture number, and by that, I obviously stopped at f4 and f2.2 for a shot. I will check, if I have one at f5.6 as well.

Cheers,

Christoph

the shot is about the dog - you have one of the best bokeh F2 lenses in your hands, what is so meaningful about the trees that should detract attention from the dog

I agree. This is why I obviously lowered the aperture number. It just happen to have that I exported the f2.2 shot instead of f2. But you can find the f2 shot now in my previous message at the bottom of the thread.

carry a T4i and 15-85 as a second camera if you want shots with deep dof - the 135 is about one thing imo - isolation and bokeh

!! Don't overdo it. The shot I showed was at f2.2 with a 5D, not from a P&S. !!

I just wanted to see people's reaction on my thoughts and going through the answers, there is one thing very obvious:

People have different opinions, which pic they like best... so, well, the question was maybe worth it?

Cheers,

Christoph

MAC
MAC
Like?
Re: Here is the shot at f2... have none between f4 and f10

f2:

This!  Now you're cookin!  

Nothing should detract from the dog!  The shot is about the dog!  The bokeh and blur backdrop are great, "not to distract our attention", and to bring our eyes to the beautiful dog!

Good Work!

As I said, use a different zoom lens for deep dof so you can frame deep dof shots.  For Portraits, F2, F2, Only F2

MAC
MAC
Like?

MAC wrote:

MAC wrote:

Cheers,

Christoph

I agree. This is why I obviously lowered the aperture number. It just happen to have that I exported the f2.2 shot instead of f2. But you can find the f2 shot now in my previous message at the bottom of the thread.

!! Don't overdo it. The shot I showed was at f2.2 with a 5D, not from a P&S. !!

I have 5d and T4i btw.  T4i is not a P&S -- for deep dof shots, it does just as well in good light with zooms.  Use Zooms for deep dof shots, then you'll be able to better frame.  The F2 of this remarkable lens on FF should not be wasted on anything but F2.

I just wanted to see people's reaction on my thoughts and going through the answers, there is one thing very obvious:

People have different opinions, which pic they like best... so, well, the question was maybe worth it?

Cheers,

Christoph

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,081Gear list
Like?
Kind of shows how silly we all are.
In reply to Christoph v Ballmoos, Feb 5, 2013

f4 vs f2 (two stops) and there's barely a difference.   Funny.

Christoph v Ballmoos
Like?
Yes, but...
In reply to tkbslc, Feb 5, 2013

tkbslc wrote:

f4 vs f2 (two stops) and there's barely a difference. Funny.

Yes, you are right, but you know, what is even more fascinating than our silliness?

The fact, that the combination of human eye, brain and trained/evolved/acquired/... aesthetics perception makes it possible that we actually DO see a difference and feel that it is not negligible and even worth talking about...

But hey, you are right, nothing feels as real as to pass my hand through the soft fur of my dog, and feel the warmth of his body... Not even with a FF at f2....

Cheers,

Christoph

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads