Is there a mode that lets me set P and A?

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions
dpyy
Contributing MemberPosts: 815
Like?
Is there a mode that lets me set P and A?
Feb 3, 2013

I'm not sure why this is not more readily available but very often I find myself in a situation where I care about the dof and I care about shutter speed because my subject is moving. But I don't care about iso. What mode allows me to do this?

M doesn't set iso automatically. While P is more like a slide you can't really set both numbers?

Boris
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,254Gear list
Like?
Re: Is there a mode that lets me set P and A?
In reply to dpyy, Feb 3, 2013

My Petax K5 has this called TVA....you set your Aperture and shutter-speed and the camera adjust the iso for a proper exposure.

-- hide signature --
 Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II +40 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,162Gear list
Like?
In reply to Boris, Feb 3, 2013

Boris wrote:

My Petax K5 has this called TVA....you set your Aperture and shutter-speed and the camera adjust the iso for a proper exposure.

Agreed, Pentax is the only company that implements this properly.  The other common method is over-riding M to allow auto ISO, but then it is no longer M mode and this will burn you when you think you are in M and find out later the camera was setting the ISO for you.

I think it is a very important mode for any camera to have (my second most used mode after A).  My Samsung does the auto ISO in manual mode, but not sure what NEX does, my NEX 3 does not allow this mode at all, but don't know about the newer models.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
DimitriDV
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?

Only possible with manual lenses, where, setting on S mode, you select Auto ISO, adjust shutter speed, adjust aperture manually on the lens.

dpyy
Like?
In reply to viking79, Feb 3, 2013

Boris wrote:

Agreed, Pentax is the only company that implements this properly.  The other common method is over-riding M to allow auto ISO, but then it is no longer M mode and this will burn you when you think you are in M and find out later the camera was setting the ISO for you.

I think it is a very important mode for any camera to have (my second most used mode after A).  My Samsung does the auto ISO in manual mode, but not sure what NEX does, my NEX 3 does not allow this mode at all, but don't know about the newer models.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

But that's the thing I can't override iso in M. I don't care it Sony, I thought this is how everyone used their cameras??

macsoft3
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
In reply to viking79, Feb 3, 2013

I dont really see a problem here.

If you're in A mode, and set ISO to auto, you can still care for shutter speed, just open A if you want a faster shoot and reduce A if you want it slower.

You still want an image with a good exposure, right? so the camera will set the shutter for the Aperture of your choice. want more/less exposure? set exposure compensation. you are always controling shutter speed with these controls

Kiril Karaatanasov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,861Gear list
Like?
Use S mode with manual lenses

In S mode with manual lens you have control over aperture on the lens and speed set on camera. ISO can be set to auto. Works on all NEXes.

Does not work with AF lenses.

Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
dpyy
Like?
In reply to macsoft3, Feb 3, 2013

I dont really see a problem here.

If you're in A mode, and set ISO to auto, you can still care for shutter speed, just open A if you want a faster shoot and reduce A if you want it slower.

You still want an image with a good exposure, right? so the camera will set the shutter for the Aperture of your choice. want more/less exposure? set exposure compensation. you are always controling shutter speed with these controls

No but I can't mess with A I need a specific DoF...

Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,356Gear list
Like?
In reply to DimitriDV, Feb 3, 2013

DimitriDV wrote:

Only possible with manual lenses, where, setting on S mode, you select Auto ISO, adjust shutter speed, adjust aperture manually on the lens.

At the moment this is as close as you'll get.

I typically use this when the shutter speed gets too low in A mode(with manual lenses).

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
Boris
Like?
Re: Use S mode with manual lenses
In reply to Kiril Karaatanasov, Feb 3, 2013

Thank you.

-- hide signature --
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II +40 more
Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?
In reply to Lightshow, Feb 3, 2013

Is it just me - or is the whole point of this thread that some people refuse to learn photography skills ... then blame the manufacturers for not designing their cameras 'correctly' ....?

Boris
Like?
In reply to Photozopia, Feb 3, 2013

Photozopia wrote:

Is it just me - or is the whole point of this thread that some people refuse to learn photography skills ... then blame the manufacturers for not designing their cameras 'correctly' ....?

It is mostly you....

-- hide signature --
Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?
In reply to Boris, Feb 3, 2013

Boris wrote:

Photozopia wrote:

It is mostly you....

What - that the guy doesn't care about ISO - but cares about shutter speed, coupled with DOF - and simply can't be bothered to learn the relationship between these factors?

Huh? Cool ... I'll join the club then. I want a camera that captures the 'decisive moment' 100% - every time I hit the shutter (always wanted to be more famous than Cartier-Bresson) ....

Boris
Like?
In reply to Photozopia, Feb 4, 2013

On the Pentax K5 If you are using a 300mm f4 lens and shooting birds simply set TAV, your f-stop to f4 shutter speed to 1/1000s .....iso will change accordingly to the minimum iso and max iso you set. In this case you don`t care about the iso but do care about the shutter speed of 1/1000s since you are hand holding and want the f4 aperture for narrow dof and to help keep auto iso in the minimum range. Yes I could use S mode set 1/1000s with auto iso but that wouldn`t guarantee f4 . Nor would A mode guarantee a 1/1000s shutter speed...unless you fiddle with manual iso constantly.

Boris

-- hide signature --
SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?
In reply to Boris, Feb 4, 2013

Personally, I can't see the problem with manually selecting ISO in manual mode. Is it really so difficult? After all, you've already set aperture and shutter speed - you're only one setting away!

Once you've set the ISO so the shot is properly exposed then that would be pretty much what Auto ISO would have set for you anyway.

I concede that in constantly changing lighting conditions, Auto ISO could be useful in Manual where aperture and shutter speed were critical, but such conditions are surely rare.

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
dpyy
Like?

Photozopia wrote:

Boris wrote:

Photozopia wrote:

It is mostly you....

What - that the guy doesn't care about ISO - but cares about shutter speed, coupled with DOF - and simply can't be bothered to learn the relationship between these factors?

Huh? Cool ... I'll join the club then. I want a camera that captures the 'decisive moment' 100% - every time I hit the shutter (always wanted to be more famous than Cartier-Bresson) ....

Do you even understand exposure? Multiple posts in this thread have already explained why such a mode is needed i.e. when both aperture and shutter is specific. Great job making yourself look like an ass though, I give you that.

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,423Gear list
Like?
In reply to Boris, Feb 4, 2013

On the Pentax K5 If you are using a 300mm f4 lens and shooting birds simply set TAV, your f-stop to f4 shutter speed to 1/1000s .....iso will change accordingly to the minimum iso and max iso you set. In this case you don`t care about the iso but do care about the shutter speed of 1/1000s since you are hand holding and want the f4 aperture for narrow dof and to help keep auto iso in the minimum range. Yes I could use S mode set 1/1000s with auto iso but that wouldn`t guarantee f4 . Nor would A mode guarantee a 1/1000s shutter speed...unless you fiddle with manual iso constantly.

Boris

-- hide signature --

The point of manual mode is to take control (or as you called it fiddle constantly). So, it is as easy as selecting A, selecting S and selecting ISO.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
nosnoop
Senior MemberPosts: 1,691
Like?

Photozopia wrote:

It's only you.

I can't see evidence of the OP lacking in photography skills or understanding the exposure parameters.

The OP is simply asking for the TAv mode as implemented by Pentax or the Auto ISO in Manual mode as implemented by Nikon and other manufacturers.

This is a very legitimate request.  We have 3 parameters to control.  Now we have Auto all 3 (P), Manual all 3 (M), Fixed one and Auto-2 or fixed two and Auto-1 (A and S).   So why can't we have chosen Aperture and Shutter Speed and Auto-ISO?   Pentax is the only manufacturer who understand this need, and have properly implemented a dedicated mode for this.  Their Auto-ISO is also the way that all others should follow.

nosnoop
Senior MemberPosts: 1,691
Like?
In reply to SimonOL, Feb 4, 2013

SimonOL wrote:

Personally, I can't see the problem with manually selecting ISO in manual mode. Is it really so difficult? After all, you've already set aperture and shutter speed - you're only one setting away!

In that case, why not just one Manual mode? All the other modes are redundant right?

Of course, you can do everything in M mode. The whole point of other modes - P, A, S are for quickness and convenience. If we can have chosen Aperture and ISO with Auto Shutter speed (A), or chosen Shutter speed and ISO with Auto Aperture (S), then why can't we have chosen Aperture & Shutter Speed with Auto-ISO? This is only natural with digital camera.

The current P/A/S/M originates from the film days where ISO is fixed. With digital photography, we really should have Pentax's TAv mode - it just makes sense.

In a way, yes, it is difficult with manual ISO in M mode. Unless we all have NEX-7's 3 control dials. Otherwise, controlling 3 parameters with 1 or 2 dials is always going to be inconvenient and less than ideal.

twald
Regular MemberPosts: 491Gear list
Like?
In reply to nosnoop, Feb 4, 2013

To me, the best approach is what the fuji X100 and X Pro-1 does. These cameras have a dial for aperture, with an Automatic setting, a dial for shutter speed, also with an automatic setting. They also have an iso setting, also with an automatic option.

I don't like the PASM dial. To set the shutter speed, you first need to check the PASM dial and then set the shutter speed. To set the Aperture, you have to do likewise. It is not intuitive.

Since we have the PASM dial (virtual or mechanical), I agree that M should have an auto ISO option. As other posters have noted, manual lenses allow you to do this via the A setting, and I find myself using it a lot. One problem in particular with the NEX cameras is their tendency to ramp up the ISO to 3200 before opening the aperture more than f4 OR lowering the shutter speed to less than 1/60. This may be fine in some situations but for something like the Sigma 30 lens that performs really well wide open, it is annoying most of the time; it forces me to use M and expose manually.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads