E-5 Goes to Lassen National Park

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 630Gear list
Like?
E-5 Goes to Lassen National Park
Feb 3, 2013

So-So conditions yesterday.  I guess overcast best describes the weather.  Not exactly cloudy with the mountains obscured but hardly crisp clear stuff that the E-5 likes most.  We were out with the snowshoes.

Toward the Visitors Center

A Portrait of the Artist

Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,889Gear list
Like?
Re: E-5 Goes to Lassen National Park
In reply to Craig from Nevada, Feb 3, 2013

That is one National Park I have yet to visit, even though I have been to most all of the other ones in California.  Some days, like here today with our mountain wave cloud, the sky does not cooperate, but there are still quality images to be had.  Many times I just take it as an additional challenge to my skill set.  Thank you for sharing these, you did have a lot of snow to contend with.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Craig from Nevada
Like?
In reply to Roger Engelken, Feb 3, 2013

This was our second trip in a week.  We tried on January 27 and the results are below.

I checked the weather forecast before leaving Carson City.  Everything changes when you drive across the park boundary.  I am going to wait until July before my next trip.  It just beautiful country.

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 12,741Gear list
Like?

Very attractive looking area to go for an outing.  Nice images.

Andrew

skeys
skeys MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,706Gear list
Like?

Hi Craig...  You didn't miss anything in Carson City; we had the same kind of gray, overcast, cloudy conditions here in the valley to the east of Carson City. Almost no snow left, though. Lots of brown earth plus the usual flora: sagebrush and leafless Cottonwood trees.

Do you remember driving by the sign for Morgan Summit? Had to stop for road construction right at that sign, so got a photo of my daughter standing under the sign. My daughter's name is ... , well, make a guess, LOL. Also got a photo of her standing next to the 20-foot tall snow-measuring pole. She measured 3 1/2 feet at the time.

Steve

-- hide signature --

My comments and opinions are my own. I am neither a staff member, nor a paid employee, of DPReview.

Craig from Nevada
Like?
In reply to skeys, Feb 4, 2013

Valley east of CC......Dayton?

It was a bit cloudy when we left yesterday (the weather service kept saying sunny)

I am sticking to Tahoe for a while.

Waynecam
Forum ProPosts: 12,750Gear list
Like?
In reply to Craig from Nevada, Feb 4, 2013

Nice images Craig. I traveled through the park last Oct just after the first snow of the year and got a few good images. I didn't do much more than drive through in a motor home but it was nice just the same.

-- hide signature --
Roger Engelken
Like?

I am looking to head out to California this spring and will look into that area as well.  In the meantime I am putting an order in for some of that snow to come here.

Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Craig from Nevada
Like?
In reply to Roger Engelken, Feb 4, 2013

Roger Engelken wrote:

I am looking to head out to California this spring and will look into that area as well. In the meantime I am putting an order in for some of that snow to come here.

Believe it or not this one of the least visited of the National Parks.

Craig from Nevada
Like?
In reply to Waynecam, Feb 4, 2013

Waynecam wrote:

Nice images Craig. I traveled through the park last Oct just after the first snow of the year and got a few good images. I didn't do much more than drive through in a motor home but it was nice just the same.

-- hide signature --

My wife is walking on California 89 at the south entrance of the park.  They plow to the visitors center and no further.  The road is a snowshoe and x-country ski path until spring.

Roger Engelken
Like?

I can imagine, it is somewhat off the beaten path.  I have been through Redwood, Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia.

Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,465
Like?

Nice day in the mountains! I was there last May for the annular solar eclipse--backpacked in and had the place to myself for four days--beautiful trip.

Cheers,

Rick

Craig from Nevada
Like?
In reply to Skeeterbytes, Feb 4, 2013

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Nice day in the mountains! I was there last May for the annular solar eclipse--backpacked in and had the place to myself for four days--beautiful trip.

Cheers,

Rick

Actually as so-so day for photographs (nice day for snowshoeing.  A very good day for photoshop.

Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,465
Like?

Craig from Nevada wrote:

Actually as so-so day for photographs (nice day for snowshoeing. A very good day for photoshop.

Either way, you trumped my day, which was the very definition of pedestrian.

(Haven't even hauled out the snowshoes this season--at first it was too snowy to even get to the mountains now it refuses to snow. Feast or famine....)

Cheers,

Rick

dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?

Those are fine images of Lassen National Park. I remember going snow sledding there when I was a young lad. We were living in Redding at the time. I wish we had a place to wash the dust off of our snow shoes near here in Los Angeles. But it's warm now and the snow may be over for the season.

Thanks for sharing your Lassen photos.

-- hide signature --

Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads