Today i am not satisfied with my panasonic 20 1.7 on my E-pl5 ..

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions
gwelta
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?
Today i am not satisfied with my panasonic 20 1.7 on my E-pl5 ..
Feb 3, 2013

Hello,

Today was my first time with this combo outside! (Yes the weather was very bad the last time in Austria ... )

So i took some shots with my new 20m 1.7 But i am not sure that the lens sharp is and/or that the color are real... (artificial?)

Do you have an idea if the problem could be the lens? I am preatty happy with the kit lens 14-42...

I don't know if should hold this lens.

A bientot Gwelta

Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,068
Like?
Re: Today i am not satisfied with my panasonic 20 1.7 on my E-pl5 ..
In reply to gwelta, Feb 3, 2013

My 20mm is a very sharp lens and those photos you posted do look quite soft at %100. I would take some more test shots at different focal distances and apertures and shutter speeds. If some are super sharp and some are soft, then you can narrow down the problem to see where it repeats. If all are really soft, you might have a bad lens.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gwelta
Like?
In reply to jkrumm, Feb 3, 2013

thank you. i could return it. iwill make a new test tomorrow.

Inkheart
Regular MemberPosts: 332Gear list
Like?

I don't think the first photo is soft or blurry because of the lens. It looks like it suffers from shutter shock. You can see it especially in all those thin branches of the trees on the left. They're all doubled. The second photo is not that bad.

-- hide signature --

Inkheart

Inkheart's gear list:Inkheart's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
ulfie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,166
Like?

It's possible--note possible--you're not so steady, maybe pushing down on the shutter too hard too fast.  The two shutter speeds on your EXIFs are not very fast though 1/160 sec. should do the trick.  To really test the 20 put the combo on a tripod and take these same scenes's shots using the camera's self-timer.

Then again, as said above, you may have a bad lens.

Inkheart
Regular MemberPosts: 332Gear list
Like?
In reply to ulfie, Feb 3, 2013

ulfie wrote:

The two shutter speeds on your EXIFs are not very fast though 1/160 sec.

I think it's plenty enough for this focal length. You'd have to have really unsteady hands.

To really test the 20 put the combo on a tripod and take these same scenes's shots using the camera's self-timer.

Yeah do that, and it'd be best if you did this test, with anti shock option off, and on, so you'll know if it's caused by shutter shock.

-- hide signature --

Inkheart

Inkheart's gear list:Inkheart's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,181Gear list
Like?
In reply to Inkheart, Feb 3, 2013

Yes poor IBIS behavior combined with possible shutter shock.  You'd have to have really bad hands to take a blurry shot like that.  Another possibility is completely poor CDAF to front focus, etc...but you'd have to examine EXIF and see the focal distance.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,679Gear list
Like?
Not very good light, is it?

Not the best light for shooting, I'd say. Flat light, low contrast.

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,551Gear list
Like?

Perhaps because every setting on your camera was intended to reduce sharpness? Let's see:

• Noise Filter: standard (should be low or, better, off)
  • Sharpness: 0 (1 would be better)
  • Aperture makes sure diffraction damages sharpness (there was absolutely no reason to use aperture smaller than F4.0)
  • IBIS - on, when shutter speed is safe.

In the end it's could be camera shake during the shot that resulted some blur. Or, you might have shutter shock or IBIS problem, who knows. 1/80s shutter isn't a good speed for benchmarking. 1/160s should be better but I'm not sure why on the 1st shot tree branches on the left show some doubling when it's hard to see it on the right side. Strong wind, perhaps?

With reasonable aperture you would have got 1/320s or 1/640s and sharper photos. And next time remove purple fringing, 20mm lens is prone to it.
BTW, you didn't have some noname UV filter on the lens by any chance?

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,632
Like?
In reply to Inkheart, Feb 3, 2013

Inkheart wrote:

ulfie wrote:

The two shutter speeds on your EXIFs are not very fast though 1/160 sec.

I think it's plenty enough for this focal length. You'd have to have really unsteady hands.

To really test the 20 put the combo on a tripod and take these same scenes's shots using the camera's self-timer.

Yeah do that, and it'd be best if you did this test, with anti shock option off, and on, so you'll know if it's caused by shutter shock.

-- hide signature --

Inkheart

"fast enough," goes with, "sharp enough," which for typical prints, these are. For 100% crops and absolute critical sharpness most people need way shorter shutter speeds. Why do you think people test lenses on a tripod???

-- hide signature --
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,263
Like?
1/160 sec IBIS bug?

Maybe your EPL5  has a 160/sec IBIS bug. Try again with IBIS turned off.

Alien from Mars
Regular MemberPosts: 225Gear list
Like?
In reply to gwelta, Feb 4, 2013

Hi,

Seems like shutter shock at it's best.

Try to turn on 1/8s anti-shock and see if you'd have sharp images then.

gwelta wrote:

Hello,

Today was my first time with this combo outside! (Yes the weather was very bad the last time in Austria ... )

So i took some shots with my new 20m 1.7 But i am not sure that the lens sharp is and/or that the color are real... (artificial?)

Do you have an idea if the problem could be the lens? I am preatty happy with the kit lens 14-42...

I don't know if should hold this lens.

A bientot Gwelta

Alien from Mars's gear list:Alien from Mars's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
sigala1
Like?
In reply to Alien from Mars, Feb 4, 2013

Alien from Mars wrote:

Hi,

Seems like shutter shock at it's best.

Try to turn on 1/8s anti-shock and see if you'd have sharp images then.

Anti-shock may or may NOT work. It only protects against the shock of the first shutter movement, not the second movement when the shutter opens.

Alien from Mars
Regular MemberPosts: 225Gear list
Like?
In reply to sigala1, Feb 4, 2013

sigala1 wrote:

Anti-shock may or may NOT work. It only protects against the shock of the first shutter movement, not the second movement when the shutter opens.

True.

Still worth trying.

Alien from Mars's gear list:Alien from Mars's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
gwelta
Like?

Ok thank you for your answer. I tried this morning two new photos before i go to the work. So the light was not great...

And yes! Yesterday there was a lot of Wind and it was 0°C (very cold with the wind).

So i turned off the IBIS and tried a picture with the timer on a tripod (second)

What do you think i should try now?

Thanks a lot.

Fred

Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,181Gear list
Like?

Tripod shot is tack sharp.  Keep fiddling with IBIS and shutter speeds, or give up and exchange it for another that might be more well behaved.  Try neck-strap shooting...this is where you put on the strap, move your camera forward til you are tugging on the neck strap.  Try viewfinder shooting...even if you do not have a viewfinder attachment, see what happens if you press it up to your face and fire a shot using auto AF.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,280Gear list
Like?
Not looking good.

It may be an issue with shutter shock as nothing in these images is sharp.

I do not use the 20mm f/1.7 often but this should give you some impression of what to expect. These are with the E-M5 but image quality should be the same. Note that I do use 1/8s anti-shock at all times.

First shot taken at f/4 in good light:

And here is one in really bad light, taken at 1/50s f/2.0:

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
gwelta
Like?
Re: Not looking good.
In reply to Paul De Bra, Feb 4, 2013

Thank you but did you see the last two picture taken and postied this morning ?

If is is a "shutter shock" problem. Is it a camera problem ?

I took pictures with the 14-42 and the pictures are very sharp so i wonder about a problem with the camera but who knows...

Fred

sigala1
Like?

Alien from Mars wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

True.

Still worth trying.

I guess my bigger point was that anti-shock seems to work against most non-IBIS caused shutter shock, and it seems to work well on the E-M5, but the blurry two-axis IBIS on the EPM1-2/EPL3-5 may be caused by the second shutter movement.

gwelta
Like?
In reply to sigala1, Feb 4, 2013

So how should i set my system... ? I don't understand really..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads