Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Inkjet printer any good?

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions
birdbrain
Senior MemberPosts: 3,250Gear list
Like?
Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Inkjet printer any good?
Feb 3, 2013

I am thinking of moving up a notch from just printing onto A4 sized media and the Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Inkjet printer looks quite good and about the right sort of price point for me.

Anyone with any experience of using this printer, what do you think?

I am open to suggestions if there are other printers I should be looking at around the same price point.

Here in the UK the Canon PIXMA PRO-100 is approximately £360 if that is any help.

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +16 more
Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,490
Like?
Re: Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Inkjet printer any good?
In reply to birdbrain, Feb 3, 2013

birdbrain wrote:

I am thinking of moving up a notch from just printing onto A4 sized media and the Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Inkjet printer looks quite good and about the right sort of price point for me. Here in the UK the Canon PIXMA PRO-100 is approximately £360 if that is any help.

Hi Phil. Whilst the printer gets a decent enough review, the big question comes with cost of running = price of inks and - as most will confirm - Canon inks have been somewhat dubious in terms of longevity, so that needs investigation.

Why not consider the cheaper Epson 1430 - excellent printer and (I gather) about £100 cheaper. That would buy a lot of ink! If you think about this instead - check out the http://www.inkexpress.co.uk website for compatible inks (high quality) - Alex is a good dealer and should you decide on a CIS - they offer to fit free of charge if you can get to their Wolverhampton retail outlet i.e. not just an internet bedroom dealer. Have used them for quite a few years - and colleagues in the Zone 8 PS in the UK do as well.

I bought my Epson 1400 a few years ago from Alex and brought back to Spain and saved a lot of dosh - not sure if he sells the 1430 but worth contacting him to see.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
taius
Regular MemberPosts: 213
Like?
In reply to birdbrain, Feb 3, 2013

Phil, i bought the pro-100 in december and then was away on business. I have just these last few weeks been able to start printing and i am totally thrilled with the quality of the prints! I am not a pro but when my wife loved a very stylized photo i took of a beach restaurant, i made my first ever 13X19 print and the result is simply stunning. I thought i would show the print to the restaurant owner and when he saw it, he offered me a hundred and fifty dollars for it on the spot, my first ever sale of a photo! After the rebate, i paid $399.00 for the canon and for this quality, it is a steal. Here is the photo i took and sold, i wish you could see this as a huge print! I actually think this image looks better as the print, it has a real deco feel...

Darryl E Mylrea
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
In reply to taius, Feb 9, 2013

taius wrote:

Phil, i bought the pro-100 in december and then was away on business. I have just these last few weeks been able to start printing and i am totally thrilled with the quality of the prints! I am not a pro but when my wife loved a very stylized photo i took of a beach restaurant, i made my first ever 13X19 print and the result is simply stunning. I thought i would show the print to the restaurant owner and when he saw it, he offered me a hundred and fifty dollars for it on the spot, my first ever sale of a photo! After the rebate, i paid $399.00 for the canon and for this quality, it is a steal. Here is the photo i took and sold, i wish you could see this as a huge print! I actually think this image looks better as the print, it has a real deco feel...

Nice photo!

Atlex.com has a really good deal right now on the PRO 100.  $399 - $200 rebate, plus a free 50-pack of 13x19 semi-gloss or luster paper.  $50 shipping for me but overall, that's $250 for a $450 printer and a $90 pack of paper!

I'm so fed up with my Epson 4900 I'm getting ditching Epson and going Canon.

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,316
Like?
In reply to Darryl E Mylrea, Feb 9, 2013

Darryl E Mylrea wrote:

taius wrote:

Nice photo!

Atlex.com has a really good deal right now on the PRO 100. $399 - $200 rebate, plus a free 50-pack of 13x19 semi-gloss or luster paper. $50 shipping for me but overall, that's $250 for a $450 printer and a $90 pack of paper!

You will love this printer.

ronzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285
Like?
In reply to birdbrain, Feb 9, 2013

You should be aware of print life when choosing a printer.

The P-100 uses dye inks, may be Chroma Life, which in dark storage is quite long and behind glass (to prevent gas bleaching) out of direct sunlight can last a few years. Dye inks in the printer are pretty much not subject to clogging over fairly long idle times.

Pigment inks are more archival in nature but are subject to nozzle clogging in extended idle periods. In addition on many print surfaces bronzing can be a problem.

If you are intending to sell prints for minimal protected display you might wish to consider a pigment ink system. The only Canon one I can think of is the 9500 at quite a large price. The less expensive 9000 is a dye ink system.

-- hide signature --

Ron Ginsberg
Minneapolis, MN
Land of 10,000 Puddles

Mark McCormick
Contributing MemberPosts: 756
Like?
In reply to ronzie, Feb 10, 2013

ronzie wrote:

... If you are intending to sell prints for minimal protected display you might wish to consider a pigment ink system. The only Canon one I can think of is the 9500 at quite a large price. The less expensive 9000 is a dye ink system.

Canon also offers the Canon PIXMA Pro-10 and PIXMA Pro 1, both use pigmented ink sets, but some differences. The PIXMA Pro 10 is the logical one to consider if comparing directly to the Pixma Pro-100 because it has a gloss optimizer to reduce differential gloss issues on glossy papers plus a WIFI connection like the Pro-100. The Pro-1 has a larger color gamut compared to the Pro-10 but still using pigmented inks and would be a better proofing device if you ultimately output your images at larger sizes to the wide format Canon iPF8300-8400 printers.

-- hide signature --

Mark McCormick

Darryl E Mylrea
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Feb 12, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

Darryl E Mylrea wrote:

taius wrote:

Nice photo!

Atlex.com has a really good deal right now on the PRO 100. $399 - $200 rebate, plus a free 50-pack of 13x19 semi-gloss or luster paper. $50 shipping for me but overall, that's $250 for a $450 printer and a $90 pack of paper!

You will love this printer.

Yes, even better, it DOES have FREE SHIPPING and NO TAX!  So, $199 after rebate, including a $85 pack of paper!  Needless to say, I have placed my order!

Atlex.com is great.  

birdbrain
Senior MemberPosts: 3,250Gear list
Like?
In reply to birdbrain, Feb 12, 2013

I went with a Pro-100 first prints looking very good, waiting for delivery of some A3 paper to try a big print 

It's a bit of a beast just about managed to get it up the stairs, in terms of bucks / weight it works out quite well 

Easy install on my Mac, I used a USB connection first as that seemed quite easy. Once installed I then used Canon's wireless setup software which worked a treat.

looking forward to doing some more printing on it, it's fun having a new toy 

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +16 more
Bruce Edwards
Contributing MemberPosts: 531Gear list
Like?
In reply to birdbrain, May 8, 2013

Note that this is on sale at B&H for $89 shipped, AR, and includes "Canon SG-201 Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss 13 x 19" (50 Sheets)"

Bruce Edwards's gear list:Bruce Edwards's gear list
Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
jforkner
Contributing MemberPosts: 550Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bruce Edwards, May 8, 2013

Please disregard.

jforkner's gear list:jforkner's gear list
Olympus E-620 Canon EOS 6D Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 +1 more
Travis
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,177Gear list
Like?
Just got mine yesterday
In reply to birdbrain, May 9, 2013

I couldn't pass up the phenomenal deal on this printer (I bought mine at Atlex but it is even cheaper now at B&H after mail-in rebate... $90).   I haven't done much photo printing for a number of years, but i used to use an Epson large format printer with a CIS back in the day.  Those were the days when Epson had the "orange fade" problem, so I eventually just stopped printing.

This is my first Canon photo printer, and so far I am very pleased.  First of all, this thing is a BEAST (literally and figuratively).  It is very large and very heavy, but it looks nice and seems to be designed well.  I like how the ink carts light up when they are properly installed.  I also like the overall external design and coloring of the printer.  My printer came with a free pack of Canon Luster Pro 13x19 paper, and it is very nice.

I can't emphasize enough how nice it is having a WIFI printer that I can put anywhere in the house (this is especially true since there's no way this printer was going to fit on my desk next to my PC).  It also has Airprint, so you can print from the iPhone/iPad (haven't tried this yet).  Setup was pretty quick and easy... I used the USB method where you temporarily plug the printer into the USB port to get it installed.  Once that was done, I was free to move the printer anywhere and it stays on the WIFI network.

The printer seems to print very fast (even on HIGH quality), but this is coming from somewhere who is used to long print times on the older printers).  The prints themselves look pretty fantastic, especially given that I am not using an special color management system right now.  I am mainly going to use the printer to make large prints for me and my extended family to put behind glass, so I'm not too concerned about print life.  I believe dye inks have come a long way, though obviously leaving them out in open air or sunlight for extended times is going to cause fading.

I even ordered a 2nd printer from B&H (for the $90 after mail-in rebate) because you can't even get another set of ink cart replacements for that much!   A new set of inks for all carts runs about $120, so now I'll have another set of carts, another pack of 13x19 paper, and another printer!  LOL.  Not sure what I'm going to do with the printer...  kinda hard to sell it without ink, so might just keep it as a backup.

Cheers,

Travis

-- hide signature --
 Travis's gear list:Travis's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +5 more
Bruce Edwards
Contributing MemberPosts: 531Gear list
Like?
Re: Just got mine yesterday
In reply to Travis, May 9, 2013

Travis wrote:

I even ordered a 2nd printer from B&H (for the $90 after mail-in rebate) because you can't even get another set of ink cart replacements for that much!   A new set of inks for all carts runs about $120, so now I'll have another set of carts, another pack of 13x19 paper, and another printer!  LOL.  Not sure what I'm going to do with the printer...  kinda hard to sell it without ink, so might just keep it as a backup.

Cheers,

Travis

-- hide signature --

Smart!  Every few years I can get away with the ol' "but honey, it's cheaper to buy a NEWer, BETTER printer than to replace all the ink tanks!" argument, but given the size of this monster, if I tried to use that (admittedly sound) argument, my as(s) would be toast. 

Bruce Edwards's gear list:Bruce Edwards's gear list
Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Travis
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,177Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bruce Edwards, May 9, 2013

Bruce Edwards wrote:

Smart!  Every few years I can get away with the ol' "but honey, it's cheaper to buy a NEWer, BETTER printer than to replace all the ink tanks!" argument, but given the size of this monster, if I tried to use that (admittedly sound) argument, my as(s) would be toast. 

LOL, touché.  In this particular case, I had no problem convincing my wife that it was smarter to buy a second printer than having to spend another $120 for a new set of ink cartridges.  I was smart enough to read the fine print on the mail-in rebate though... it's only good "one per household" so I made sure to use a different address and credit card for the second printer.  

The print is gorgeous, by the way.  I am looking at it from across the room and it just oozes with professionalism.  <big grin>

Travis

-- hide signature --
 Travis's gear list:Travis's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +5 more
Shadowfixer
Contributing MemberPosts: 552Gear list
Like?
In reply to Travis, May 10, 2013

I received mine last weekend and printed out 11 x14's using the "Let Printer Manage Colors" option. Very good prints with nice sharp detail. My primary printer has been the HP 130. I use it for color and I use an old Epson 2200 for my B&W work. The Pro 100 has me loving it so far. I was disappointed in my first B&W print with it because it printed a little too warm for my taste. I had selected neutral tone but I thought it was too warm. I have found where all this is highly adjustable in the printer software and look forward to trying that portion out. I think with my personal mix of tones in the software, it will produce very good B&W prints. I have to say it's one heck of a deal at the current price. They will rob us blind on ink but so do the others. I will hand it to HP on the 130. That thing sips ink. It's the Toyota Prius of printers. Hope everyone enjoys their new printer as much as I have enjoyed mine in the first week.

Shadowfixer's gear list:Shadowfixer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Nikon D200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +3 more
jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,698Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shadowfixer, May 10, 2013

Shadowfixer wrote:

..............I have to say it's one heck of a deal at the current price. They will rob us blind on ink but so do the others.....

I had no idea this printer was available at such a low price.  I want a 3880 so I can print at 17" but at the price I thought about the Canon.  Then I thought about the ink.  I plan on printing quite a bit and those 14 ml cartridges seem like an expensive joke.  Red River also verifies that the Canon sips up a lot of ink and the printing costs are high.  Plus with the Epson, I can buy big containers of low cost 3rd party ink.  I am getting p*ssed about the long delay Canon seems to be having in replacing the 18 mp APS-C sensor so I think I would rather give my money to Epson anyway.

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
Shadowfixer
Like?
In reply to jrkliny, May 10, 2013

jrkliny wrote:

Shadowfixer wrote:

..............I have to say it's one heck of a deal at the current price. They will rob us blind on ink but so do the others.....

I had no idea this printer was available at such a low price.  I want a 3880 so I can print at 17" but at the price I thought about the Canon.  Then I thought about the ink.  I plan on printing quite a bit and those 14 ml cartridges seem like an expensive joke.  Red River also verifies that the Canon sips up a lot of ink and the printing costs are high.  Plus with the Epson, I can buy big containers of low cost 3rd party ink.  I am getting p*ssed about the long delay Canon seems to be having in replacing the 18 mp APS-C sensor so I think I would rather give my money to Epson anyway.

That's comparing apples to oranges but I get where you are coming from. I bought the PRO 100 because in the long run it's cheaper than buying replacement ink for my old HP 8750. I would love to have a 3880 but the cost difference for what I do doesn't justify an extra thousand bucks. I still have the HP 130 when I need to print a large print. The PRO 100 is cheap enough for you to buy both.  Hope you enjoy the 3880 when you get it. I know I would.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Nikon D200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +3 more
artur6
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
In reply to Shadowfixer, May 10, 2013

Being at the other side of the pond, I'm utterly envious of you guys.

Do you realize that in Europe the price of the Pro100  goes from $600 to $700, and no rebate at all !! ..     

Sparrowe
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to Travis, May 10, 2013

Travis wrote:

Cheers,

Travis

-- hide signature --

Travis, are those ink cartridges that come with the printer fully charged? I seem to remember reading on the Canon web page that "setup ink tanks" are in the box ...

UPS says my new Pro-100 will be delivered Monday; looking forward to it!

ray

Shadowfixer
Like?
In reply to Sparrowe, May 10, 2013

Sparrowe wrote:

Travis wrote:

Cheers,

Travis

-- hide signature --

Travis, are those ink cartridges that come with the printer fully charged? I seem to remember reading on the Canon web page that "setup ink tanks" are in the box ...

UPS says my new Pro-100 will be delivered Monday; looking forward to it!

ray

Not Travis, but it does say set up tanks on the website. The cartridges that came with mine looked full to me and they couldn't be physically any bigger so I am assuming they are the maximum available. Interested in others opinions.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads