New Epson r3000 prints darker than old Epson 4000

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions
Carolyn S
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Re: Some thoughts
In reply to jtoolman, Feb 6, 2013

Yes, I understand....and no I don't think you are talking down to me.  I think you are trying to steer me in the right direction and I appreciate it.  I am just getting a bit confused by everyone...but part of that is because I don't always understand totally what is being said.  So.  It looks like I need a color Munki!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bruce Oudekerk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,629Gear list
Like?
Re: Some thoughts
In reply to jtoolman, Feb 6, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

Carolyn S wrote:

HI Bruce.....just a point of curiosity...is OP me?

OP is Original Poster.  Thats you:)

My initial problem was that this new printer did not print prints that matched the old 4000. I agree it doesn't make much sense. If I can figure out what you are suggesting I will try your steps.....but, it still seems like you are all saying I would do better to calibrate my monitor. I am beginning to get a bit lost in this discussion. I think you are all beginning to go beyond my comfort zone. So, I need a good bottom line. Try your steps....then get calibration equipment?

Carolyn

You can try my pseudo hand calibration and it should get most of the way there... but to get that last bit you will probably need calibration equipment.  An unknown-to-me number of consumer TN style monitors can be impossible to make usable as far as I'm concerned, for a variety of reasons.  Fortunately, now days, some consumer IPS monitors do a great job, especially given their price point.   But, yes,  some form of calibrating the monitor IS the most important first step.

Think of it as if it was a piece of diagnostic instrument in your doctor's office. It is supposed to take a reading from you and depending on that reading, the Doctor will then decide what course of treament he will prescribe. You would want that instrument to be properly calibrated to a known standard would you not?

Can you imagine a thermometer that was consistantly reading 3 degrees too cold or too hot?

Same with a monitor. 90% or more are ALL too bright and too blue out of the box.

If they were perfectly calibrated out of the box the companies that sell monitor calibrators would not exist.

We do not go through this for the fun of it but simply because it is the only way to begin the process of camera to file to print, correctly.

I hope you take this with total sincerity in my part. I am in no way intending to talk down at you. Just sharing what I know and prevent you from going through the agony I was this.

Joe

Yes and double Yes

Bruce
--
http://www.pbase.com/misterpixel

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Carolyn S
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Re: Some thoughts
In reply to Bruce Oudekerk, Feb 6, 2013

OK....just bought one.  A ColorMunki.......So we shall see what happens!  It should be here Thrusday.....I expect it to rock my world!  LOL...just kidding.

Thank you and Jtoolman for all the help!

C

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,985
Like?
Re: Some thoughts
In reply to Carolyn S, Feb 6, 2013

Carolyn S wrote:

OK....just bought one. A ColorMunki.......So we shall see what happens! It should be here Thrusday.....I expect it to rock my world! LOL...just kidding.

Thank you and Jtoolman for all the help!

C

Watch my three part video and then you should have a good understanding on how this particular piece of hardware works, what it does and how to use it.

and of cource you can PM me any time.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/42623457

Here is another video I made where I create a color profile for a Canon PRO 9000 MKII

Though it is not your printer make or model, the process is still identical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0N-jgaJY94

I don't know if you purchased the CM DISPLAY or the PHOTO version. I use the PHOTO in the videos.

You might also want to subscribe to my YouTube channel as I have quite a few Printer, ink, refilling videos and will be creating more in the near future.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Carolyn S
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Re: Some thoughts
In reply to jtoolman, Feb 6, 2013

Thank you so much, Joe.  That was very helpful.  I was not able to afford the fancy one.  I bought the one that seemed in the middle between the very expensive and the cheapest one.  It is the colormunki display1.  I am assuming that is the one you meant when you said CM Display.  I don't know what the number 1 means, but that is the title Amazon gave it.  I should get it tomorrow.

Carolyn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,985
Like?
Re: Some thoughts
In reply to Carolyn S, Feb 6, 2013

Carolyn S wrote:

Thank you so much, Joe. That was very helpful. I was not able to afford the fancy one. I bought the one that seemed in the middle between the very expensive and the cheapest one. It is the colormunki display1. I am assuming that is the one you meant when you said CM Display. I don't know what the number 1 means, but that is the title Amazon gave it. I should get it tomorrow.

Carolyn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI1SM8WbWt8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G53zrvZYIbQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb0cnpbZePA

Here are some tutorial vids specific to the CM Display to get you going.

I have to tell you that when you are finished with your calibration, don't be alarmed when your monitor looks darker, lower in contrast and a bit warmer.

That's because the default settings are too bright, too contrasty and too blue.

It's too bad that I do not own an R3000 as I could then create profiles for you when you decide to explore the many papers available out there. Fortunately they also do provide ICC Paper profiles for most major photo printers.

Once your monitor is set up, then you can switch to have PS control color while choosing the correct ICC profiles and turning OFF control at the driver level.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Carolyn S
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Re: Some thoughts
In reply to jtoolman, Feb 7, 2013

Thank you for those videos.  They were helpful.  I feel ready for my new device.  I expect I will be a bit surprised when it is done calibrating....and I will try not to be disappointed!

I have been looking at other papers (I usually used Hawk Mountain papers, but they are going out of business)...and I have been impressed with Red River papers.  I noticed they offer profiles for their own papers.  I will probably continue to buy from them just for that reason.

I will look for some other videos, since I have time before UPS gets here.  They don't usually come until about 4 in the afternoon.  So, I have some time to learn more.

Carolyn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,985
Like?
Re: Some thoughts
In reply to Carolyn S, Feb 7, 2013

Carolyn S wrote:

Thank you for those videos. They were helpful. I feel ready for my new device. I expect I will be a bit surprised when it is done calibrating....and I will try not to be disappointed!

I have been looking at other papers (I usually used Hawk Mountain papers, but they are going out of business)...and I have been impressed with Red River papers. I noticed they offer profiles for their own papers. I will probably continue to buy from them just for that reason.

I will look for some other videos, since I have time before UPS gets here. They don't usually come until about 4 in the afternoon. So, I have some time to learn more.

Carolyn

Carolyn, I am still learning something new almost everyday. I make is a point to read just aboujt every post here and in other forums on a daily basis as there are some truly expert people here.

Before you begin the process today, reboot you rmachine and reset you rmonitor to factory standars if it has a reset button. Then proceed to first install the CM Display software BEFORE you plug in the unit to you USB port. So INSTALL FIRST, then with the program open, plug in the CM unit and go through the various steps as the instructions tell you. When you are done, you can see a before and after of what you monitor was like and what it is now! It can be quite a difference. Then the getting used to your new look begins.

Remember that the resulting Monitor profile can be given any name you chose. Once saved, it will load auotmatically everytime you restart your machine.

I do use quite a lot of RR's papers and the ICC profiles work spendidly with OEM inks.

Just try not to jump around through their papers as it just gets confusing.

Good Luck today and keep us posted.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Carolyn S
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Re: Some thoughts
In reply to jtoolman, Feb 7, 2013

Well.  I think I am cursed.  I install the software and do the computer restart and I get this message.....program cannot start because the icuuc46.dll file is missing.  Reload the software to fix the problem.  I do that and get the same message.  AAAAARRRRGGGGGGGGG!  I have written to X-rite tech support and am waiting for a response.  Have you ever heard of that file?  I have no idea if it means the Color Munki is missing the file or if my computer is missing the file.

oh my, I think my head hurts.

Carolyn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Phil Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,536Gear list
Like?
Re: Some thoughts
In reply to Carolyn S, Feb 8, 2013

If you installed the software on the CD, try installing the latest version from the web site.  Products are often shipped with an early version of the software.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Older Fossil
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Re: Some thoughts
In reply to Phil Hill, Feb 8, 2013
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,985
Like?
Re: Some thoughts
In reply to Carolyn S, Feb 8, 2013

Carolyn S wrote:

Well. I think I am cursed. I install the software and do the computer restart and I get this message.....program cannot start because the icuuc46.dll file is missing. Reload the software to fix the problem. I do that and get the same message. AAAAARRRRGGGGGGGGG! I have written to X-rite tech support and am waiting for a response. Have you ever heard of that file? I have no idea if it means the Color Munki is missing the file or if my computer is missing the file.

oh my, I think my head hurts.

Carolyn

Oh shoot! That apperas to be problem with the computer itself.

Have you tried to Download the last published Display SW?

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1513&Action=support&SoftwareID=1116

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Carolyn S
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Re: Some thoughts
In reply to Older Fossil, Feb 8, 2013

Thank you, Art.  That seems to be what my problem is.  I will try following the instructions in the morn when I am a bit more awake!!

Carolyn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Carolyn S
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Re: Some thoughts
In reply to jtoolman, Feb 8, 2013

Thank you, too, Joe!  I will try that too, tomorrow when I am a bit more awake!  Thank you all.

Carolyn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Carolyn S
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Re: Some thoughts
In reply to Carolyn S, Feb 8, 2013

Well, I tried all three suggestions and nothing worked, still missing the icuuc46.dll file.  Method one told me that "windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations" and the other method didn't seem to make any difference and Color Munki will still not open.  I uninstalled it and then installed it from the X-rite site.  Still no difference. Before I totally give up on it all, I will call my computer guy.  Maybe there is something he can do, since he made my computer and knows it really well.

Thank you for your patience and help.

Carolyn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kurt Sonderegger
Contributing MemberPosts: 529
Like?
You might try this.
In reply to Carolyn S, Feb 8, 2013

Carolyn,

I'm no computer expert but you might try this website. Can't hurt anything to download and install the file. I would first check to make sure a file by the same name doesn't already exist in the directory you're going to copy the new file to. If it does, I'd give it a unique extension (like .carolyn or something) so it doesn't get overwritten by the new file. You can always rename it back to the original if something doesn't work right. Good luck to you.

Kurt

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kurt Sonderegger
Contributing MemberPosts: 529
Like?
Sorry. Here's the link.
In reply to Kurt Sonderegger, Feb 8, 2013

It would help if I gave you the website! Sorry.

http://originaldll.com/file/icuuc46.dll/19313.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Older Fossil
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Re: Some thoughts
In reply to Carolyn S, Feb 8, 2013

Carolyn S wrote:

Well, I tried all three suggestions and nothing worked, still missing the icuuc46.dll file. Method one told me that "windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations" and the other method didn't seem to make any difference and Color Munki will still not open. I uninstalled it and then installed it from the X-rite site. Still no difference. Before I totally give up on it all, I will call my computer guy.

I think this belongs in Xrite's ball court.  I searched my entire system for this DLL and did not find a copy.  Mine is a fairly complete Windows 7 Pro 64-bit system.  Poking around a bit on the web, it looks like icuuc46.dll is a library from an open source project to provide international text support.  It is possible to download Windows binaries from http://site.icu-project.org/download/46.  You might want to pass this along to your computer person.

Art

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Older Fossil
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Re: Some thoughts
In reply to Older Fossil, Feb 8, 2013

As a follow up:

I widened my search on my system for other versions of the icuucxx.dll and found a few (but not version 4.6).  It looks like all of these were installed with applications that referenced them.  I definitely think that the file should be part of the Xrite installation package and it is a bug if it is not included.

Art

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,985
Like?
Re: Some thoughts
In reply to Older Fossil, Feb 8, 2013

Older Fossil wrote:

As a follow up:

I widened my search on my system for other versions of the icuucxx.dll and found a few (but not version 4.6). It looks like all of these were installed with applications that referenced them. I definitely think that the file should be part of the Xrite installation package and it is a bug if it is not included.

Art

I downloaded the file for Carolyn but upon conduction a manual search and using the search utility on all three of my machines, I could not locate a single incidence of this file anywhere in all three hardrives. YET..... I have CM Color software installed and properly operating on all three machines.

So I am also wondering ????????????

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads