Terada: New 4/3's body (bodies?) in the pipline for 2013

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,575Gear list
Like?
Terada: New 4/3's body (bodies?) in the pipline for 2013
Feb 2, 2013

Interview with Terada stating Olympus will be introducing one or more new 4/3's bodies  this year.   Congrats on this scoop, DPR!

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7898773566/cp-2013-interview-with-olympus-toshi-terada

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,995Gear list
Like?
Re: Terada: New 4/3's body (bodies?) in the pipline for 2013
In reply to sderdiarian, Feb 2, 2013

That's most encouraging.  It would seem they actually will offer some kind of new 4:3 body.  After looking at the images made with the EM-5, I have to think something like the much hoped for E-7 will be a camera that would sell well.  Not sure what advances it might have.  Just the new sensor would be significant.  I sure want one.

-- hide signature --

BJM

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,846Gear list
Like?

yeah I just posted the same in 'the other thread'

what is perhaps more illustrative is the header

By R Butler | Published Feb 2, 2013 |
The long wait for the next generation of cameras for Four Thirds may soon be over, suggests Olympus' Toshi Terada, Manager, Product Planning SLR products

or at least
we know where we can find him if it doesnt pan out

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Ron Joiner
Contributing MemberPosts: 888Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rriley, Feb 2, 2013

Wonder if we see a convergence of m4/3 and 4/3.

Ron

Ron Joiner's gear list:Ron Joiner's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +6 more
caver3d
Contributing MemberPosts: 718Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ron Joiner, Feb 2, 2013

Ron Joiner wrote:

Ron

That sounds almost mystical.  The much sought after "convergence" <grin>.  Isn't that in Revelations?

caver3d

caver3d's gear list:caver3d's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Canon EOS M Olympus E-M1 A3000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +6 more
Karaya
Senior MemberPosts: 2,005Gear list
Like?
You can all thank me!

After using the Olympus E-x series (E-1, E-3, E-5) exclusively since 2004 I broke down this month and got a Canon 5D MKIII with a 85mm f1.2 L. This must have been the final motivation Olympus needed to release an E-7 before the last of their loyal 4/3 users drift away.

I have not sold any of my Olympus gear. Really just looked at the new purchase as a way to fill in the remaining gaps in my lens lineup - this is the fast portrait prime that Olympus never made! My next lens might be the Sigma 180mm f2.8 macro in EF mount, i.e. the long macro that Olympus never released!

Still, it's not to late for Olympus to recapture my photography business. I would most likely purchase an E-7 if it has a sensor at least as good as the OM-D, improved auto focus and a body as nice as the E-5, which is, in my opinion, much nicer then either the 5D MKIII or D800. I would then use my E-5 and E-7 for nature work with my SHG 150 and 300mm lenses and use the 5D for people and landscape work.

The future is looking brighter!

Mark

www.pbase.com/karaya

Karaya's gear list:Karaya's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-5 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +3 more
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,846Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ron Joiner, Feb 2, 2013

Ron Joiner wrote:

Ron

Ron theres really so much stuff floating around its impossible to say
people elsewhere speculate an EVF

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,602
Like?
Did you actually read the article?

sderdiarian wrote:

Interview with Terada stating Olympus will be introducing one or more new 4/3's bodies this year. Congrats on this scoop, DPR!

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7898773566/cp-2013-interview-with-olympus-toshi-terada

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

"Direction-wise, we'd like to produce products for Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds within this year."

There's absolutely no specific information in there about a product or a release date, only the vague statement that they would "LIKE" to introduce a new body this year. That's like me saying that I'd LIKE to win the lottery, which is a 100% true statement, but not in any way a prediction of the future. It doesn't even mean that I've bought a lottery ticket.

pris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191
Like?
Did you?
In reply to sigala1, Feb 2, 2013

That selective reading... Here, let me help you move beyond one expression you have stuck on (we'd like):

"we have to provide a product for users with SHG and HG lenses. And there are people using E400, 500 and 600-series DSLRs, we have to provide products for them to keep enjoying their photography.'

Here, he says "we have to" instead of "we'd like." Read it however you want but for the most of readers it means "we know what's expected and intend to deliver." Then he proceeds to say:

'For those users AF speed is important and a suitable finder is necessary. And also it needs to be the right size... We have to provide those things to benefit those users. One of the benefits of DSLR is continuous autofocus. In this respect, we have to promise total AF performance in future.'... ''They already know image quality from the OM-D. Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds sensors are the same size, so they can imagine that.'

All above is clear indication of 4/3 body in works, distinctive from m4/3 one. Notice thnat I had to quote practicaly whole "The future of Four Thirds" part - that's how much you chose to ignore, while latching onto single we'd like, which btw is a)product of translation, b)normal corporate-speak and c)normal expression of intention.

Then again, for people who say "a statement is not a camera yet" nothing but actual camera already in the store will suffice - they will point to any statement of intention that hasn't materialized thereafter. For such people, to make it clear - yeah, this interview and thread discussing it is a discussion of intentions, promises and not actual physical product yet. Do you suggest people shouldn't discuss statements by company officials because those statements might not materialize?

sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,602
Like?
Re: Did you?
In reply to pris, Feb 2, 2013

That the marketing guy from Olympus guy is able to describe features that readers of this forum want is hardly surprising, but there's absolutely NOTHING in there about timetables or specific products.

These are the same vague platitudes that have been coming from Olympus for years. There's no evidence that Olympus really wants to invest a lot of money into DSLRs or big lenses, which failed in the marketplace the first time around.

pris
Like?
Will you?

There is never any "timetables" in such interviews - no matter what company gives them. It's an interview describing company's intentions - not more, not less.

Now, this song by your ilk has been sang all too many times here, so let's cut to the chase: when an E-5 successor is released, will you or will you not come here and post the thread titled "I was wrong"?

dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Welcome comments from Terada about New 4/3's body in 2013

:-Dsderdiarian wrote:

Interview with Terada stating Olympus will be introducing one or more new 4/3's bodies this year. Congrats on this scoop, DPR!

Thanks for posting this Steve.

I welcome anything new in an Olympus DSLR, whether it's an E-xxx, E-xx or an E-x pro body. There are Olympus users among us who use all of these cameras, from the entry level to the Pro, and they all deserve an upgrade path to go with these great 4/3 lenses. If it's an improvement to the E-5 in the form of a Pro-level E-7 DSLR, I may have to run out and buy it. Otherwise I'd be happy to see an E-xxx or E-xx and wait a year before getting an upgrade to my E-5. My E-5 still has plenty of life in it and performs well for my needs in all areas except high ISO. For that I still use a tripod and low ISO.

Just a side note to the profit and marketability of Olympus products: With the price for used Olympus lenses falling to around 50% of new I think they needed to say and do something about future 4/3 bodies to keep their new lens sales going. Now the price of used lenses will probably rise again. With plans to sell future 4/3 DSLR bodies Olympus needs to maintain the price of their lenses.

The article will remain at the top of the dpr home page all weekend. People will still choose to ignore the obvious intent of the statement and deny there's anything new coming in Olympus 4/3. By now we know who they are.

-- hide signature --

Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
pris
Like?
Re: Welcome comments from Terada about New 4/3's body in 2013
In reply to dave gaines, Feb 2, 2013

dave gaines wrote:

People will still choose to ignore the obvious intent of the statement and deny there's anything new coming in Olympus 4/3. By now we know who they are.

Dave,

I suggest giving them a chance to establish their credibility and offering them an opportunity to weigh their words before posting. We, those who believe E-5 successor is coming, promise to start an "I was wrong" thread if/when Olympus announces there is no such successor and 4/3 lenses are not going to be supported to their full capability anymore. We suggest those who do not believe in such camera coming do the same if/when it's released. I did that twice by now; want to join? May even be worth a separate thread, so folks can register their promise on either side of the argument.

To make it clear, by E-5 successor we mean a camera that fully supports 4/3 lenses, AF speed and ergonomics wise - whatever technology is deployed to achieve that.

It will make for an interesting angle, to see who is willing to accept such condition and who isn't - will tell us a lot about their actual degree of conviction. Then, when the resolution comes, it will give us a good standard to measure one's personal honesty - those who do post such threads will have to accept a moment of humility and those who don't will demonstrate utter lack of credibility.

GBC
GBC
Contributing MemberPosts: 898
Like?

You are being silly.
If you actually read those vague platitudes again in reference to what has transpired  you will find them to be accurate and true, despite being a little vague.
Olympus has there own style, and a lot of people find it unsettling.
They have said for a long time there were working on this pro camera; development cycle probably took 5 years of testing and trying things to make a hybrid system. Of the multiple development streams, I suspect the 43rds camera was the most promising due to immature CDAF PDAF or phase detect adapters diminishing the functionality of the hydrid designs. They always said the pro camera was coming, then everyone says that it's not. Then it comes, it is as simple as that. Just read the official press releases and have a little faith they come true (it hasn't happened to me yet, but I never bought into the OM film line).
I really expect this camera to be built for the 90-250 for wildlife, with greatly improved CAF. Along with a scaled up sensor from the RX100 to get a 48 mpix sensor that can downscale 75% to 36 to enhance IQ on the fly. That would make my 14-35 sing! And my 90-250!
The above is just my wishful thinking, but with that, Oly could make a dent in the DSLR business. It's SHG lenses would shine so bright with a sensor like that.

sigala1 wrote:

That the marketing guy from Olympus guy is able to describe features that readers of this forum want is hardly surprising, but there's absolutely NOTHING in there about timetables or specific products.

These are the same vague platitudes that have been coming from Olympus for years. There's no evidence that Olympus really wants to invest a lot of money into DSLRs or big lenses, which failed in the marketplace the first time around.

BJL
BJL
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,803
Like?
Doesn't actually say 4/3 mount body, but ...

The comments are about bodies that make 4/3 (SLR) lenses fully functional, with good continuous AF, etc, as well as lenses for owners of existing 4/3 bodies. One option consistent with what Terada said is:

1) an m4/3 body with PDAF in-sensor, thus fully supporting AF with adaptor-mounted 4/3 lenses.

2) one or more new 4/3 mount lenses, which become easier to justify if they also work perfectly well on m4/3 bodies via an adaptor. Fast telephoto lenses, which gain little in size, weight or optical performance from the shallower m4/3 lens mount and might benefit from ring-style SSW focusing motors, look like the best candidates.

What this would leave out is an optical viewfinder, but the plan could be based on sufficiemt improvements in next-generation EVFs. With 120fps already an option, lag could soon become insignificant.

-- hide signature --

Smaller lenses, better in low light, more telephoto reach: you can have any *two* at one time.

DonParrot
Senior MemberPosts: 2,879Gear list
Like?
In reply to sigala1, Feb 3, 2013

sigala1 wrote:

Toshi Terada is no marketing guy. He was the head of the DSLR department and now he is - if I'm not mistaken - the head of the entire camera development department. And, first of all, he is a no-nonsense guy. You may find him saying nothing about a topic but since I joined the Oly fraternity in 2009, I haven't read a single word if him that turned out to be marketing drivel.

Apart from that, he didn't say a single word about a DSLR, just about a prioduvt that wilöl make the FT users happy. As I see it, the OBS approching quicky.

-- hide signature --

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4688736761_6fd06ae5c8_o.jpg
Why not - if there's enough space on the sofa...
I'm a HOlygan

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +12 more
DonParrot
Like?
Re: Welcome comments from Terada about New 4/3's body in 2013
In reply to pris, Feb 3, 2013

pris wrote:

dave gaines wrote:

People will still choose to ignore the obvious intent of the statement and deny there's anything new coming in Olympus 4/3. By now we know who they are.

Dave,

I suggest giving them a chance to establish their credibility and offering them an opportunity to weigh their words before posting. We, those who believe E-5 successor is coming, promise to start an "I was wrong" thread if/when Olympus announces there is no such successor and 4/3 lenses are not going to be supported to their full capability anymore. We suggest those who do not believe in such camera coming do the same if/when it's released. I did that twice by now; want to join? May even be worth a separate thread, so folks can register their promise on either side of the argument.

To make it clear, by E-5 successor we mean a camera that fully supports 4/3 lenses, AF speed and ergonomics wise - whatever technology is deployed to achieve that.

It will make for an interesting angle, to see who is willing to accept such condition and who isn't - will tell us a lot about their actual degree of conviction. Then, when the resolution comes, it will give us a good standard to measure one's personal honesty - those who do post such threads will have to accept a moment of humility and those who don't will demonstrate utter lack of credibility.

I'm in the boat. I's even put some money on this camera being launched before long - although I have my doubts that it will be a DSLR.

-- hide signature --

I'm a HOlygan

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +12 more
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Re: Welcome comments - no need for a poll
In reply to pris, Feb 3, 2013

pris wrote:

dave gaines wrote:

... ... People will still choose to ignore the obvious intent of the statement and deny there's anything new coming in Olympus 4/3. By now we know who they are.

Dave,

I suggest giving them a chance to establish their credibility and offering them an opportunity to weigh their words before posting. ...

No need for an opinion poll. People have already shown their true colors. Just make a mental note of who's posting doubtful and negative comments about Oly DSLRs in threads like this one on the first page today:

The thread, "Olympus Statement About Fourthirds and Micro Fourthirds" http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50770324

Terada's statement is pretty clear cut. A DSLR with a better viewfinder (optical as of today). And offering to fill the entry level E-xxx as well as Pro DSLR niches. The only thing he did not say is which DSLR line would come next, an E-xxx, an E-xx or an E-x.

It will make for an interesting angle, to see who is ...

Just ask the doubters, the ranters, the negative posters to go post where they like the cameras so those of us who do like Olympus DSLRs can continue to discuss how to get the most out of our 4/3 gear.

-- hide signature --

Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,243Gear list
Like?
Recognition of E-XXX owners.
In reply to sderdiarian, Feb 3, 2013

In the past, all we've heard from Olympus was if you wanted to move from the E-420/520/620, you could go to a PEN or an E-3.

This most recent comment: 'And there are people using E400, 500 and 600-series DSLRs, we have to provide products for them to keep enjoying their photography.' seems to acknowledge a need for a new E-xxx class camera. Should offer hope for some who felt the E-X too big, but didn't want to move over to micro. Will be interesting to see what, if anything they come up with.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
DonParrot
Like?
Re: Welcome comments - no need for a poll
In reply to dave gaines, Feb 3, 2013

dave gaines wrote:

Terada's statement is pretty clear cut. A DSLR with a better viewfinder (optical as of today). And offering to fill the entry level E-xxx as well as Pro DSLR niches. The only thing he did not say is which DSLR line would come next, an E-xxx, an E-xx or an E-x.

No sir. He talked about FT and a viefinder and AF performance that will have what it takes to make the FT users happy. At the same time, he didn't say with a single word that the coming camera that is supposed to realise this goal will be a DSLR. And - to  be honest - I don't see Oly investing in a dying breed, such as the DSLR technology.

My E-M5 has (with the mFT lenses) a better C-AF than the 4xx, 5xx and 6xx series ever had and is not far from the one of the E-30. It even provides a working tracking function,spmething that none ogf my Oly DSLRs ever had. And I don't see any reason why a coming mirrorless camera shouldn't outperform my E-30 or the E-5 - even with my FT lenses. Oly has been working on the OBS camera since 2009 and the signs are getting more and more obvious that this camera is about to be launched.

To make one thing clear: I wouldn't mind buying a compact FT DSLR featuring the E-M5 sensor and an improved C-AF performance - but I don't think that this is the way Oly will have gone. After all, despite their game-changer camera E-M5, their financial situation still isn't too healthy and they have to make oney.

Had the Sony sensor been availble in time for the E-5 - or even better - the E-620, it might have been possible to secure the market share for FT the system always deserved. But now...?

First of all, I'm convinced that the DSLR is - like I mentioned before - a dying breed. Already now, it's S-AF is outclassed by the MILC offerings by Oly and Panny. It's faster, it's far more precise and AF adjustment is a foreign concept, for MILC users. Solve the C-AF problem wit the FT lenses and there's absolutely nothing speaking for the DSLR concept.

Then, it's just a question if somebody is ready to say farewell to the OVF or not. But that's just a question of flexibility, not of quality. I believe that the vast majority of those who claim that shooting with an EVF is horrible never tried to do so. Yes, it's different and it takes you a while to accustom to it. I'd say half a day. But in the end, you do accustom to it and the experience is just a great as shooting with an OVF. And don't forget all the avantages such als live histogram or other infos in your EVF, menu control via the EVF as well as picture control in the EVF - every spectacle wearer just has to love it as he can put his glasses into his bag while shooting.

And then, I don't think that all those who left the boat are ready to come back - and it will be extremely difficult for Oly to acquire new FT DSLR users.

So, as I have understood Toshi Terada, there will be cameras that will make the FT users happy - but he didn't promise a DSLR.

-- hide signature --

I'm a HOlygan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads