Not impressed with D5200 samples at Imaging Resource

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,871Gear list
Like?
Not impressed with D5200 samples at Imaging Resource
Feb 1, 2013

When comparing the D5200 images to those of the D7000 using the Imaging Resource Comparometer,  I prefer the color accuracy and acuity of the D7000 images to that of the D5200. It appears that any resolution advantage the D5200 has is being lost to noise reduction (or possibly the sensor micro-lenses or AA filter?), causing softness even at 100 ISO, and the colors shift and fade as ISO increases as well. At 3200 ISO the D7000 is showing muchbetter color contrast retention and less color shift than the D5200.  Maybe the RAW files will yield something more impressive, but after all the hype by some on this forum about the wonderful new 24MP "Toshiba" sensor, I' m disappointed in what I am seeing so far at least, and wonder if Nikon chose to use this Toshiba sensor base on cost consideration alone.  

See what you think

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Nikon D5200 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
stuntmonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,677
Like?
Re: Not impressed with D5200 samples at Imaging Resource
In reply to jonikon, Feb 1, 2013

jonikon wrote:

When comparing the D5200 images to those of the D7000 using the Imaging Resource Comparometer, I prefer the color accuracy and acuity of the D7000 images to that of the D5200. It appears that any resolution advantage the D5200 has is being lost to noise reduction (or possibly the sensor micro-lenses or AA filter?), causing softness even at 100 ISO, and the colors shift and fade as ISO increases as well. At 3200 ISO the D7000 is showing muchbetter color contrast retention and less color shift than the D5200. Maybe the RAW files will yield something more impressive, but after all the hype by some on this forum about the wonderful new 24MP "Toshiba" sensor, I' m disappointed in what I am seeing so far at least, and wonder if Nikon chose to use this Toshiba sensor base on cost consideration alone.

See what you think

: http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

- Jon

I'm not sure I would interpret it in the same way. To me it looks like the focus is a tad bit different on the D5200, maybe by a mm or two front or back, which is certainly within tolerance. If you downsize the the D5200 to the D7000, there's really not a lot of real world exposure difference, noise and dynamic range are roughly the same. Acuity is hard to judge because you still need to apply some USM to make up for downsampling; it's not apples to apples, but for all intents and purposes it's close enough. I would agree that the D5200 seems a bit more neutral in it's colour profile, but every new generation of sensors has it's learning phase about these things.

However, I would tend to agree on one thing... I don't think the D5200 samples on IR are worse, but they don't highlight the advantage of a theoretical 20%ish increase in linear resolution either.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
You're reading too much into this
In reply to jonikon, Feb 1, 2013

They're just samples.  They have little ( practically nothing ) to do with the performance of the camera in the real world and in real prints.

You're also comparing apples and oranges.  A D7000 is a completely different experience to a D5200, and it has little to do with the sensor.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

mikhs1
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
In reply to jonikon, Feb 2, 2013

20% higher resolution does not automatialy imply better image quality.  There are other factors involved obviously.  8 MP DSLP will produce much better images than 16 MP point-and-shoot camera.

D7000 is a higher end camera than D5200 so there is no need to be surprised and "disappointed" by the results of your comparison.

I followed the link you included (I have never before heard of that site).... I was more surprised when I compared D7000 to the new Olympus OMD... While Nikon D7000 did have much better colour rendition, I found that OMD images were much sharper and showed more fine detail even though they were more closely croped (I could understand that either - you woould think that they would provide identical croping for comparison).  This is contrary to all the reviews and comparisons I have read on line while trying to decide between D7000 and OMD (I did get D7000 in the end).

avsroy
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?
In reply to mikhs1, Feb 2, 2013

I did a compare with Sony SLT A77 which is also a 24mp and at pixel level the Sony is much sharper that the D5200. Compare the colored threads on the top right corner as an example. The red swatch is cleaner on the D5200 at 400 and 800 ISO but in most of the fine detail areas the Sony is out resolving the D5200. Since these samples are shot at F8, I am not sure how much impact minor front / back focus issues will attribute to the fuzziness. There are other threads on the forum potentially attributing the pixel level blur to mirror slap etc. Am keen to check out the DPreview samples as and when they become available. Too much IQ controversy on this model at this time

avsroy's gear list:avsroy's gear list
Canon PowerShot S410 Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Pentax K-x Sony SLT-A37
caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,919Gear list
Like?

Those are jpegs at default. Nikon traditionally sets sharpness level very low. They should be tweaked if one wants sharper images out of camera rather than applying it in post. Imaging Resource is a credible review site BTW.

Even at that level of low sharpness if you look at the red swatch you will find the Nikon sharper specially at higher iso.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +10 more
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,507Gear list
Like?
Use the RAWs Re: Not impressed with D5200 samples at Imaging Resource
In reply to jonikon, Feb 2, 2013

Then you'll see all colors and other issues go away. You can adjust your Mode in-camera to get about any result you like.

-- hide signature --

Renato. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/ OnExposure member http://www.onexposure.net/ Good shooting and good luck (after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Werner Gansz
Contributing MemberPosts: 541
Like?

I've done the same comparison of the D7000 with the OMD but I did it with raw files where I could control the process.  I don't think comparing jpgs is useful unless you plan to shoot jpgs.  Even then the default jpg setups in different cameras will drive the comparison.

The OMD is indeed sharper, even in raw.  I attribute that to the superior Olympus m4/3 lenses.  I don't think there is anything in the DX world that compares.  IR uses a Sigma lens for most of its Nikon DX tests, claiming its very sharp, maybe yes, maybe no.  But there is more to a camera than sharpness so I'll be hugging my D7000 for quite a while I think.

-- hide signature --
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,871Gear list
Like?
Evidence of D5200 banding in official Nikon photos
In reply to jonikon, Feb 5, 2013

The D5200 shows banding even in at least one of the official Nikon photos as well, (which may have been pulled from the Nikon website by now). Banding can best be seen in the lower right hand corner of this night scene and is most noticeable on the dark building tops, but can also be seen less easily elsewhere in the image. Fine details have also turned to mush as well. Very disappointing compared to what I see with my D7000/D5100 images. 

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8339/8160844446_969b8e09e0_o.jpg

If the D7100 does no better with the IQ, I will be skipping that model completely even if it has some features I wish the D7000 had.

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads