Is it time to give up on Olympus?

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions
Moonman52
Senior MemberPosts: 1,193Gear list
Like?
Is it time to give up on Olympus?
Feb 1, 2013

Is it time to give up on Olympus ever giving us a premium micro four thirds standard zoom lens something similar to the old 12-60 four thirds lens?  Rumor was there was finally going to be an announcment of some new zooms from Olympus to keep the zoom people happy.  I've waited patiently. The zooms I saw that were listed on dpreview news the other day just don't cut it for me, just more of the same. Is this the big announcment we were all suppose to me waiting for?

I'm just about at the point now where I'm going to sell my EM-5 and invest in all Fuji. The Fuji 18-55 kit lens is awesome, I know I have one. The Olympus primes are good yes, but so are the Fujis and we've been asking for a good zoom for some time now and Olympus is just not listening. Fuji seems to listen. Does anyone feel the same or am I alone in this? Can anyone give me a reason not to give up on Olympus? Olympus, if you read these forums you are at the very edge with me and I don't mean cutting edge.

Moonman52's gear list:Moonman52's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Nikon D90 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D5300
BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
Re: Is it time to give up on Olympus?
In reply to Moonman52, Feb 1, 2013

I agree Olympus really needs a semi-pro kit zoom.  But is the lack of one lens really a reason to "give up" on them?  Would the Panasonic 12-35 not suffice?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MatsP
Contributing MemberPosts: 843Gear list
Like?

I'm hoping for Sigma and Tamron

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
cprevost
Contributing MemberPosts: 567Gear list
Like?
In reply to BingoCharlie, Feb 1, 2013

If you bought into a camera system that didn't have the lenses you require then one would tend to ask why?

cprevost's gear list:cprevost's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
JCB123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,117Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes certainly

Moonman52 wrote:

Is it time to give up on Olympus ever giving us a premium micro four thirds standard zoom lens something similar to the old 12-60 four thirds lens? Rumor was there was finally going to be an announcment of some new zooms from Olympus to keep the zoom people happy. I've waited patiently. The zooms I saw that were listed on dpreview news the other day just don't cut it for me, just more of the same. Is this the big announcment we were all suppose to me waiting for?

I'm just about at the point now where I'm going to sell my EM-5 and invest in all Fuji. The Fuji 18-55 kit lens is awesome, I know I have one. The Olympus primes are good yes, but so are the Fujis and we've been asking for a good zoom for some time now and Olympus is just not listening. Fuji seems to listen. Does anyone feel the same or am I alone in this? Can anyone give me a reason not to give up on Olympus? Olympus, if you read these forums you are at the very edge with me and I don't mean cutting edge.

...but since Olympus are such a bunch of mindless cretins and their system is so woefully inadequate, the second hand value of their equipment plummets to almost worthless. Your E-M5 is now worth only 50p. I'll offer you a couple of quid for it though.

Regards

John

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
Moonman52
Like?

BingoCharlie wrote:

I agree Olympus really needs a semi-pro kit zoom. But is the lack of one lens really a reason to "give up" on them? Would the Panasonic 12-35 not suffice?

The Panasonic 12-35 is made for Panasonic cameras. You can not expect great results using it on an OM body enough to make up for the high price. It is loaded with CA and even light room 4 will not remove it all. Sharpness is no better than my panasonic 14-45 which does not work so great on my OM body either. It works so much better in my old G1 and thats were it stays now. I did try the 12-60 and 14-54 mk2 four thirds lens with adapter option but whats the point of trying to go light and small with micro fours thirds then?

BingoCharlie
Like?

Moonman52 wrote:

The Panasonic 12-35 is made for Panasonic cameras. You can not expect great results using it on an OM body enough to make up for the high price.

Huh?  It's one thing to question the lens's optics.  It's another to think it doesn't work correctly on an Olympus body.  That's nonsense.

As to the CAs, you do realize that Olympus bodies don't correct them even with Olympus lenses, right?

Moonman52
Like?
Re: Yes certainly
In reply to JCB123, Feb 1, 2013

JCB123 wrote:

Moonman52 wrote:

Is it time to give up on Olympus ever giving us a premium micro four thirds standard zoom lens something similar to the old 12-60 four thirds lens? Rumor was there was finally going to be an announcment of some new zooms from Olympus to keep the zoom people happy. I've waited patiently. The zooms I saw that were listed on dpreview news the other day just don't cut it for me, just more of the same. Is this the big announcment we were all suppose to me waiting for?

I'm just about at the point now where I'm going to sell my EM-5 and invest in all Fuji. The Fuji 18-55 kit lens is awesome, I know I have one. The Olympus primes are good yes, but so are the Fujis and we've been asking for a good zoom for some time now and Olympus is just not listening. Fuji seems to listen. Does anyone feel the same or am I alone in this? Can anyone give me a reason not to give up on Olympus? Olympus, if you read these forums you are at the very edge with me and I don't mean cutting edge.

...but since Olympus are such a bunch of mindless cretins and their system is so woefully inadequate, the second hand value of their equipment plummets to almost worthless. Your E-M5 is now worth only 50p. I'll offer you a couple of quid for it though.

Regards

John

Thats why I thought this would be a good time to ditch Olympus now before the 2nd generation OM-D comes out then you'd probably only be offering me one quid for my EM-5.

acahaya
Contributing MemberPosts: 996
Like?
Re: Why limit m43 to Olympus, Panasonic offers 2 excellent zooms ...

the 12-35 and 35-100 should cover everything you need and more.  If not, get rid of m43 and go Fuji. Nobody knows if when and what a fast zoom lens is coming.

BTW:

I also have the 12-60 and would love to see a m43 version or even better be able to use it with full AF capability on m43. But this will take some more time, obviously too much time for you

The announcement of the 75-300 MkII has nothing to do with the rumored fast zoom lens but nobody knows how fast and what focal range.

-- hide signature --

sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,192
Like?
Panasonic and Olympus oligopoly

Moonman52 wrote:

Panasonic just gave us a "premium micro four thirds standard zoom lens," and both of these companies policies are to avoid competing against each other with low-demand-high price lenses.
Thus Olympus gives us an overpriced 17mm prime, and Panasonic gives us an overpriced f/2.8 zoom. No competition means higher prices.

Moonman52
Like?

BingoCharlie wrote:

Moonman52 wrote:

The Panasonic 12-35 is made for Panasonic cameras. You can not expect great results using it on an OM body enough to make up for the high price.

Huh? It's one thing to question the lens's optics. It's another to think it doesn't work correctly on an Olympus body. That's nonsense.

Me thinks not.

As to the CAs, you do realize that Olympus bodies don't correct them even with Olympus lenses, right?

That's because Olympus when they want to do things right put the quality into the glass and optical formula instead of relying on some gimmickal software magic.

eques
Senior MemberPosts: 1,622Gear list
Like?

When I started into a new system, I first considered the lenses.

I bought a Nikon FE film camera, because of the excellent Micro Nikkor 55mm and used this as a standard lens.

3 years ago I bought into mFT, because of the 14-45 and 20 and because of the option of using my old Nikkors. Now there are more nice lenses... .

So, if you know the Fuji lenses are what you want, just get the Fujis. I think, you will not get an excellent Olympus standard zoom in the near future.

Peter.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
BingoCharlie
Like?

Moonman52 wrote:

BingoCharlie wrote:

Moonman52 wrote:

Huh? It's one thing to question the lens's optics. It's another to think it doesn't work correctly on an Olympus body. That's nonsense.

Me thinks not.

Do you have one shred of evidence that Panasonic lenses perform worse on Olympus bodies?

Moonman52
Like?

BingoCharlie wrote:

Moonman52 wrote:

BingoCharlie wrote:

Moonman52 wrote:

Me thinks not.

Do you have one shred of evidence that Panasonic lenses perform worse on Olympus bodies?

Panasonic themselves would tell you that.

BingoCharlie
Like?

Moonman52 wrote:

BingoCharlie wrote:

Moonman52 wrote:

BingoCharlie wrote:

Moonman52 wrote:

Me thinks not.

Panasonic themselves would tell you that.

Where?  Please provide a link.  Otherwise I'll assume you're making this up.

mferencz
Regular MemberPosts: 227Gear list
Like?

thats not all that is being made up.

markymark101
Contributing MemberPosts: 957Gear list
Like?

I have two pany lenses for my OMD.  They work just fine - I can't tell a shread of difference between their function and my oly native lenses.   I've not read one single report about the 12-35 not functioning properly on the OMD, but I've read dozens of reports of happy users.  Just buy the Fuji, but I suspect you'll be unhappy with something there as well.  If you didn't already know it by now, there is no complete mirrorless lens system yet.  For my money m43 is by far, head and shoulders, the best when it comes to lens selection.

markymark101's gear list:markymark101's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
G Sciorio
Regular MemberPosts: 293Gear list
Like?

Think its time to go make some photos homie. Sounds like you have a good amount of gear, don't let it hang you up by over thinking it. Just create an idea and shoot.

-- hide signature --

Giulio Sciorio
Small Camera Big Picture
http://www.smallcamerabigpicture.com
Portfolio
http://www.giuliosciorio.com

Moonman52
Like?
In reply to markymark101, Feb 1, 2013

markymark101 wrote:

I have two pany lenses for my OMD. They work just fine - I can't tell a shread of difference between their function and my oly native lenses.

Some perform better than others. It all depends on if Pany decides to put the money into the glass or cheap out by putting it into the software. I have the panny/ leica 25mm f/1.4 that performs great on my EM-5. I also have the panny 14-45. It performs way better on my G1 than on my EM-5.

I've not read one single report about the 12-35 not functioning properly on the OMD,

It's not a matter of functioning, it's a matter of performance. I suggest you do some more reading.

BingoCharlie
Like?

Moonman52 wrote:

It's not a matter of functioning, it's a matter of performance. I suggest you do some more reading.

I would love to do some reading.  Got a link?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads