DO YOU STILL PRINT PICTURES?

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions
t.c. marino
Contributing MemberPosts: 597
Like?
DO YOU STILL PRINT PICTURES?
Feb 1, 2013

just realized that i have not  printed a picture for any of my clients in at least 2 YEARS..i do a lot of paid gigs and hardly anyone wants prints..all they want is the tweaked high res images on a disc..the images eventually get downsized and printed in the area newspapers, posted on the web by the clients...worse..i see a lot of my images..on FACEBOOK.when i shot film,prints was part of the "package"love to hear some feedback on this topic
nikonshooter

K10D
Contributing MemberPosts: 776Gear list
Like?
Re: DO YOU STILL PRINT PICTURES?
In reply to t.c. marino, Feb 1, 2013

If that's what your clients want what's the problem? They're paying the bills and can do whatever they want with THEIR images.

-- hide signature --

Bob
Perth, Western Australia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lea5
Contributing MemberPosts: 564Gear list
Like?
What a question...

t.c. marino wrote:

just realized that i have not printed a picture for any of my clients in at least 2 YEARS..i do a lot of paid gigs and hardly anyone wants prints..all they want is the tweaked high res images on a disc..the images eventually get downsized and printed in the area newspapers, posted on the web by the clients...worse..i see a lot of my images..on FACEBOOK.when i shot film,prints was part of the "package"love to hear some feedback on this topic
nikonshooter

Of course you just send the highres image to your clients! I can't remember any other way to get the image printed in a magazine. They have someone there, who works with QXP or Indesign to fumble around with your images and then sending the whole layout to a printing company. Do you want to do this work too? That's the way I do it in the last 10 years - sending images to an editor or agency, easy. Fine art prints are another story.

Lea5's gear list:Lea5's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Zess
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?

I work in the photo department of drugstore and it pains me to see photos that were clearly taken by a professional photographer being printed by someone that doesn't understand composition or aspect ratios.
You'd think that if people were willing to pay so much to hire someone to shoot a wedding then they'd be willing to spend more than $2 for prints

-- hide signature --

Cut through the emptiness
and reveal your power

Zess's gear list:Zess's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D70 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,721
Like?

t.c. marino wrote:

just realized that i have not printed a picture for any of my clients in at least 2 YEARS..i do a lot of paid gigs and hardly anyone wants prints..all they want is the tweaked high res images on a disc..the images eventually get downsized and printed in the area newspapers, posted on the web by the clients...worse..i see a lot of my images..on FACEBOOK.when i shot film,prints was part of the "package"love to hear some feedback on this topic
nikonshooter

No prints since 2003 (film) ... I used DVDs, although lately I'm using skydrives the most.

-- hide signature --

Regards.

Roland Schulz
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?
Rarely...

I do some wedding work and demand for prints goes down, most only want a CD-ROM with the files.

When I meet the clients for giving them the CD-ROM I always have an iPad3 with their photos with me and show the photos to them.

Earlier sometimes I had problems with clients telling me my photos were dull or of wrong color. In every case it was their computer/display that was wrong. My equipment is well calibrated and i also know what i do. I also was so lucky when Adobe introduced softproofing to LR4.

The only thing missing is a fine photo viewer for the iPad. Photo Manager Pro only produces low res proxy files where you can´t zoom to the native res of the files. The only useful exeption I found is Files Pro by Olive Toast. That app is quite fast and shows the native resolution, actually up to 25MP.

The iPad3/4 have really stunning displays. I measured one and it is nearly sRGB. So I proof to sRGB, everything else would be also "to high" for wedding clients ;-)!

Roland.

Roland Schulz's gear list:Roland Schulz's gear list
Sony RX100 II
chris_uk
Contributing MemberPosts: 736
Like?

With the higher speed internet connections, I don't even send disks out any more!

sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,230Gear list
Like?

t.c. marino wrote:

nikonshooter

I don't print a lot, but I'm printing more lately and making larger prints. I like that I can show the image how I intended it to look and not have to worry about how it's going to look on someone's uncalibrated display. I happened to have a couple of 11x17 portraits at work today and i showed them to a coworker.  He'd seen them before displayed on screen and he remarked how much better they looked in print.  I think it's hard to appreciate just how amazing the images are from our cameras now if you don't make any large prints

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 +14 more
Antal I Kozma
Contributing MemberPosts: 874Gear list
Like?

t.c. marino wrote:

just realized that i have not printed a picture for any of my clients in at least 2 YEARS..i do a lot of paid gigs and hardly anyone wants prints..all they want is

Hi,

For commercial client publication prints are not needed or hardly ever.

Let's see a few scenarios:

If I work for a client in the news or advertising business they do not want or need prints. All they need is the  digital files of a size suitable for the occasion. TIFF, PSD or in certain situations RAW camera files. Depends on the contract. By the way, even in film days we only supplied 4x5 or 120 size transparencies for quality publications. That was the "digital file" of those days.

In another scenario the client is a small business and they are in need of display prints for their office or a trade show. They may contract me to supply the artwork. I am a Graphic Artist - Photographer, majored in fine fine arts decades ago and have strong working knowledge of all aspects of printing. From wide carriage inkjet to offset printing. Therefore, I may print my own custom displays for office artwork and/or go through a commercial printer to supply trade show images of large sizes. Depends on quantity and quality considerations the solutions may vary.

For weddings and portraiture? I usually sign a contract for a mixed package. The majority of the images will be delivered on a disc. However, I do make it sure that a few large display prints are a part of the package. This is for two reasons. Firstly, it is a business consideration, prints are a part of the package and they yield extra profit. Secondly, nobody with a cheap printer and uncalibrated workflow can argue the quality of the digital files upon seeing what I can deliver when I print the images. Hence the unskilled factor of home brew "desktop artists" is curtailed, they do not stand a chance for arguing anything.

That said, indeed, in the wedding market everything changed. In some ways it is sad. The family keepsake albums for later generations is hardly there any more. I doubt that when great grandchildren will go through old family chests they will ever sort through thousands of digital images. Providing that those images will be compatible at all of hardware and software of the future.

Best,
AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon PC-E Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D +14 more
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,335Gear list
Like?
In reply to sshoihet, Feb 1, 2013

sshoihet wrote:

I think it's hard to appreciate just how amazing the images are from our cameras now if you don't make any large prints

I agree.  Images can look stunning on the screen, but framed or matted pictures on the wall are so much more accessible around your home or workspace.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Onetrack97
Senior MemberPosts: 1,928Gear list
Like?

Yep, lots of large prints and now more albums.  Not that many small prints.

The only high res files I supply are for actor's headshots.  I make my money on the shoot in those cases.

-- hide signature --

Scott

Onetrack97's gear list:Onetrack97's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon D7000
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,147
Like?
In reply to Onetrack97, Feb 1, 2013

Yes, a well done print of a well done image of a subject I love hangs on a wall, I've have ran out of walls.

Larry

JacquesC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,377
Like?
Yip !

If I print it is usually a large print or a large canvas print.

Lately most people prefer digital images only which makes one wonder why we want/need high megapixel cameras ?

-- hide signature --

Jacques
Apple & Eve : apple-and-eve.com

Yves P.
Forum ProPosts: 18,623
Like?
Isn't it the object of photography ?

t.c. marino wrote:

nikonshooter

I totally do for me and for my clients ...

-- hide signature --

Yves P. Photographe Share the Knowledge NPS Member PBASE Supporter Some pictures I like: http://www.pbase.com/yp8/

mmmmmmmm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,637
Like?
Yes, I print picture!!
In reply to Antal I Kozma, Feb 1, 2013

I have been a full time photographer for more than 40 years!!!  I know the trend today, especially for wedding and portrait photographers is to just give the client files on a disc.  I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MUCH MONEY IS LOST BY NOT SELLING PRINTS!  I don't mean going to SAMs or Walmart and printing and then putting the prints in a brown paper envelope!!

Example - Another photographer in my town does a wedding and sells his services for about $900 and then gives the files to the B&G on a disc, letting the B&G print their own pictures.  So if you did 50 weddings a year your GROSS income is $45,000.

Now I, on the other hand, requires an Album for $2700.  The album costs me, not including my time and expenses, on average costs me around $540 dollars.  I have a young lady in Kansas City, Mo that does all my album layouts for $190 per book.  I use the best quality album, not some cheap album or offset printed book.  Now my gross profit per wedding is $2160.  Now doing the same 50 albums a year my GROSS profit is $108,000 for exactly the same amount of work.

So for the same amount of work, what would you rather have, $45,000 or $108,000?

Has anyone wondered why most of today's photographers are part-timers, or soccer moms, or photographers going broke?

Today's photographers have cheapened their work to a point where their work is worth nothing.  What value does a file have?  It is easy to book quality sittings, especially when they see fine work framed on a wall or extremely well made and photographed wedding albums.

I photographed my first wedding for money in l970.  I have seen the trend from B&W to color, from medium format to 35mm now to digital, from manual flash to automatic flash.  Before digital, it was not uncommon to sell relatives as many prints as the B&G.

I live in a town of 6000 with 6 photographers.  I am the only one that still sells prints and have no problem booking sittings or weddings.

The best way to loose sales is to post sittings or weddings on the internet and then hope for an order.  You MUST bring your customers back into the shop and go over the pictures with some sort of program designed by each studio.  We set our sales previews up before the customer leaves the studio.  The digital age today is too impersonal.  This includes TEXTING!!  Noting is more impersonal that texting!

respectfully,

David Miller

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,178Gear list
Like?
Yes
In reply to Yves P., Feb 1, 2013

It's kind of hard to hang a tiff file on a gallery wall.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D5300 Nikon D610 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +19 more
Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,750Gear list
Like?
I definitely do

t.c. marino wrote:

just realized that i have not printed a picture

I definitely print (poster size) as I can't quite replace all the wall hung pictures with LCD screens yet.

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D3 Nikon D2X Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?

I have been shooting weddings since the 90's. First started with a nikon F100 (film days) and the D70 was my first digital wedding camera. I also shoot events. My delivery method is DVD disc with high res files. I have one package and it is simple. My package is priced in a way that any bride with a decent budget could afford it. The question comes at times from the bride as to where is the best place to print a thank you card or a few photos for the grandparents but rarely are they looking to do any large prints and some print a few 8x10's. The thing is that I offered the photo books in the past but it became a little bit of an issue so I stopped doing them because:

-The profit was not high because brides know they can also create a photobook themselves the way they want to lay it out and know what the photo books cost. A lot of people are on a budget now days and they cut out extras when they can. Sure they and I know that I could do a better job with the layout but not all wanted to pay for it or make the profit worth it.

-Some brides would take forever to get back to me with the images they wanted in the book (A.D.D busy society) and the time it took to create the book and make changes was not worth the little profit that came from the photo book.

The brides I have dealt with rarely even consider a leather album (kind of dated to them). It is kind of sad that our images are files that live on a desktop and some make it to a facebook account, Ipad/Iphone, wallpaper on a computer or a digital photo frame. I am friends with most my brides and visit them at times and yet to see anything beyond 1 to 5 8x10's printed and that is even a rare thing to see. People view bridal photography as a way to capture the day but I think the demand for prints is just not the same in my world. I sometimes wonder why we as photographers do demand sooooo much from our work and I know that is what we are paid to do but it saddens me that most my 18-24 megapixel camera photos will never see the light of day on a print. Let alone anything above an 8x10. I think some photographers depending on market or budget can still be doing a lot of prints but I think that is the expectation. I would be doing prints all day if it was meant to protect the quality of my work but once you hand that disc over, it is up to the client how they display your work. Brides now days demand a disc and at that point you can only educate them on how to get good prints but they may still do the EASY way. I am also going to add that the good print labs are disappearing slowly. I also dont own a walk in studio so that has a lot to do with it. Maybe you can sell large prints if you have a physical studio but that is also not the what you usually see now days.

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
axcentphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 766Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes
In reply to Steve Bingham, Feb 1, 2013

Thank-you Steve. I have a show at the premier gallery in Colorado and lately I have been printing antique autos. The prints are 24x36 on Alumminum Alloy. They are fantastic!

axcentphoto's gear list:axcentphoto's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
John Motts
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,995
Like?
In reply to Nikonfan99, Feb 1, 2013

As a wedding photographer, yes I do print pictures. I process them and send the colour ones to a lab for printing, the black & whites I do here on an Epson 3880.

Only about one in ten of my couples have a disc-only package. The other 90% have a Jorgensen matted album (or occasionally they have a digital album) and I sell loads of reprints as well.

There's no substitute for prints.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads