Canon S100 or S110 4th time I am repairing camera

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions
bombadilio
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Canon S100 or S110 4th time I am repairing camera
Jan 31, 2013

Instead of a long message in short, I may have the opportunity to turn in my Canon S100 for a brand new camera to Canon. I now have to send the camera in for the 4th time. the first 3 were for the lens error, the 4th time is now since the GPS is not picking up.

On the phone the tech rep said since it's the 4th time they would possibly replace the camera. He said the S110 has GPS + wifi ( I think it only has wifi ).

In your opinion does it make sense to make the switch? Is the 110 a much better camera than the 100. I have had the S90, S95 and now S100, personally I did not see much of a difference in quality until I got the S95 and the S100 for me was a worthwhile cosmetic upgrade. I care more about battery life, and picture quality than anything else. I also like the idea to be able to post my photos from the camera instead of on the computer. Mainly though I am just tired that I now have to send the camera in again.

What are your thoughts?

Repair schedule was:

1. MBK Bangkok took 3 weeks on Asia tour trip and left me without a camera

2. Broke on Thanksgiving in November again and left without a camera for 3 weeks

3. Camera not functioning again on return and sent in around New Years for 2 weeks (Torn FPC)

4. Returned camera had a replaced Outer, back, top body and the Torn FPC was fixed but now the GPS won't catch.

My SN starts with 29

Thoughts?

Canon PowerShot S110 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,943Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon S100 or S110 4th time I am repairing camera
In reply to bombadilio, Feb 1, 2013

bombadilio wrote:

Thoughts?

You bought a bad unit of the camera.  That is statistically unlikely to happen again.  No reason you should accept a new S110 if it is offered.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike604
Regular MemberPosts: 126
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Feb 1, 2013

I think it is time  to move onto a G15 of sorts. :-}

B1ackhat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,834Gear list
Like?
In reply to bombadilio, Feb 1, 2013

Having had both the S100 and the S110, I would take the free upgrade if it's available to you.  While the S100 and S110 images look nearly identical in the Comparometer, I found there to be a noticeable difference amongst the images in real world usage, particularly in regards to contrast and saturation.  No amount of fiddling with the settings on the S100 could make up the difference.  Of course, you may like the S100 images better, but since you asked our opinion ...

-- hide signature --

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,943Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mike604, Feb 1, 2013

Mike604 wrote:

I think it is time to move onto a G15 of sorts. :-}

but free is free.

shuttervelocity
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?
In reply to bombadilio, Feb 2, 2013

I'd say take the S110.  Shut off the wifi to save battery.  I tried my friend's S100 and its so slow compared to the s110 I tried at fry's.  The s110 was very impressive, almost as fast at focusing and taking images as the G15, but in low-light the G15 will kill it.

-- hide signature --

Sam

bombadilio
Like?
In reply to shuttervelocity, Mar 4, 2013

shuttervelocity wrote:

I'd say take the S110. Shut off the wifi to save battery. I tried my friend's S100 and its so slow compared to the s110 I tried at fry's. The s110 was very impressive, almost as fast at focusing and taking images as the G15, but in low-light the G15 will kill it.

-- hide signature --

Sam

Do you think the GPS makes up for it though? Is the S110 really that much faster?

seabrook7039
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?
In reply to bombadilio, Mar 5, 2013

Don't knock the Wi-Fi on the S110 until you've tried it. It's pretty cool and easy to take a photo with the camera from anywhere and then transmit it to your smartphone (I use an iPhone). From there it's a short order to then email/Facebook it to a friend if you have a data plan or text it if you don't.

The camera can either be a client in an existing Wi-Fi field or it can create one of its own and then have your smart phone latch on to it.

Supposedly the camera can GPS tag photos by utilizing via Wi-Fi your connected smartphone's GPS capabilities but I haven't tried that yet.

seabrook7039's gear list:seabrook7039's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120
bombadilio
Like?
In reply to seabrook7039, Jun 19, 2013

So after all this I wanted to update. I got the S100 as a replacement and a few weeks ago. I had the Lens error again. I called Canon and after we spoke and I explained the issues, they upgraded me to a refurbished S110. I plan to try it out this weekend and I am happy that Canon took this step.

All in all I had to replace the S100 5 times...

walkaround
Senior MemberPosts: 1,035Gear list
Like?
According to Canon...
In reply to bombadilio, Jun 19, 2013

bombadilio wrote:

Instead of a long message in short, I may have the opportunity to turn in my Canon S100 for a brand new camera to Canon. I now have to send the camera in for the 4th time. the first 3 were for the lens error, the 4th time is now since the GPS is not picking up.

On the phone the tech rep said since it's the 4th time they would possibly replace the camera. He said the S110 has GPS + wifi ( I think it only has wifi ).

In your opinion does it make sense to make the switch? Is the 110 a much better camera than the 100?

29% faster AF

38% reduction in shutter lag.

walkaround's gear list:walkaround's gear list
Canon ELPH 310 HS Nikon Coolpix P310 Canon PowerShot S110 NEX5R Olympus PEN E-PL5 +6 more
coody
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016
Like?
They usually do not repair the camera but send you a refurbished one as the replacement
In reply to bombadilio, Jun 19, 2013
No text.
utomo99
Regular MemberPosts: 366
Like?
In reply to bombadilio, Jun 20, 2013

bombadilio wrote:

So after all this I wanted to update. I got the S100 as a replacement and a few weeks ago. I had the Lens error again. I called Canon and after we spoke and I explained the issues, they upgraded me to a refurbished S110. I plan to try it out this weekend and I am happy that Canon took this step.

All in all I had to replace the S100 5 times...

How good is the S110 refurbish ? ask them the best ones. otherwise ask if you can get new ones with paying small amount.

or wait for the S120 which will include DIGIC 6

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads