OMD exposure preview/live-view "as the taken image"

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions
juantastico
Contributing MemberPosts: 567
Like?
OMD exposure preview/live-view "as the taken image"
Jan 31, 2013

Hi again,

I am still learning more about this fantastic camera!:-)

I am wondering if it is possible to have a live preview of the exposure (aperture and speed), the same as when shooting in "M", but having this also in P, S, or A?

For example if i take a picture in "S" at 800 in a room with low light the image will be very dark, yet the live-view is bright, thus not representing the final outcome of the picture.

This is not an issues in "M" as the live-view is the same as the final outcome.

I hope there is a work around

Ps.

I have disable the live view boost feature, it seems that this feature has only an impact on manual.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Juan

Peter 1745
Contributing MemberPosts: 557
Like?
Re: OMD exposure preview/live-view "as the taken image"
In reply to juantastico, Jan 31, 2013

If you go beyond the camera's ability to expose correctly in S mode the Aperture value flashes on the live view screen to warn you. Similarly in A mode the speed flashes. In P mode they both flash.

The only time you don't get these warnings if it you have set live view to display without any overlay.

I don't know of any way to get the live view to act the way it does in M mode

-- hide signature --

Regards, Peter 'Keep taking the photos'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
juantastico
Like?
In reply to Peter 1745, Jan 31, 2013

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your answer.

I have looked almost everywhere (manual and internet), and I have come to the conclusion that it is not possible to have the same "real time" live-view as in "M" in any other shooting mode.

This is one feature that was possible in my canon G1X (as i recall :-)), in both A and S you could see the real preview and not only a warning when you were overcooking a photo, as with the OMD.

One more question is it possible in "M" mode to add the function (to a button) to get a quick glance of the optimal values for aperture and speed, thereafter you can override this manually if needed. I loved this function on my G1X, it made manual mode a dream

Thanks

Cheers

Juan

Peter 1745 wrote:

If you go beyond the camera's ability to expose correctly in S mode the Aperture value flashes on the live view screen to warn you. Similarly in A mode the speed flashes. In P mode they both flash.

The only time you don't get these warnings if it you have set live view to display without any overlay.

-- hide signature --

Peter 1745
Contributing MemberPosts: 557
Like?
In reply to juantastico, Jan 31, 2013

juantastico wrote:

One more question is it possible in "M" mode to add the function (to a button) to get a quick glance of the optimal values for aperture and speed, thereafter you can override this manually if needed. I loved this function on my G1X, it made manual mode a dream

No, but the exposure compensation display tells you how far away from the optimal exposure you are. It reads form +3ev to -3ev and flashes when you are beyond these limits. When the camera thinks you have it perfectly exposed it reads 0 .

Incidentally you can enable the option to have Auto ISO in manual mode.

Menu>Gears>E Exp/symbol/ISO>ISO-Auto = All

This shows Auto ISO as an option on the Control panel. You don't have to use it but it there if you want to.

-- hide signature --

juantastico
Like?
In reply to Peter 1745, Feb 1, 2013

Thank you for the answer and the tips

Have a great weekend.

-

Regards,
Juan

pavinder
Regular MemberPosts: 213
Like?
In reply to juantastico, Apr 3, 2013
juantastico
Like?
In reply to pavinder, Apr 3, 2013

pavinder wrote:

A bit late on this, but this article offers an interesting workaround, although far from ideal:

http://photography.forumsee.com/a/m/s/p12-19210-086090--howto-em5-full-time-range-dof-exposure-iso-previewhowto-em5-full-time-range-dof-exposure-iso-preview.html

Thank you for the link I will, try the suggested set-up.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Juan

bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,415Gear list
Like?
In reply to juantastico, Apr 3, 2013

juantastico wrote:

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your answer.

I have looked almost everywhere (manual and internet), and I have come to the conclusion that it is not possible to have the same "real time" live-view as in "M" in any other shooting mode.

This is one feature that was possible in my canon G1X (as i recall :-)), in both A and S you could see the real preview and not only a warning when you were overcooking a photo, as with the OMD.

Thanks

Cheers

Juan

Peter 1745 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Coming from Panasonic cameras, I have been genuinely surprised that the live view of exposure and 1-touch exposure suggestion are as poorly implemented on the EPL5 and EM5 as they are. My Panny G5 does both of the things you request. One-touch exposure suggestion can be assigned to a function button, and Live View of exposure is obtained through the shutter speed preview, which is assigned to another function button. Both of these are very useful and I miss them on my EPL5. Given its great feature set, I'm surprised these were omitted. Kudos to Panasonic for including them!

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads