Which accessories would you recommend for the V1?

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions
Hman83
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
Which accessories would you recommend for the V1?
Jan 31, 2013

Hello everyone

I will be getting:

Richard Franiec V1 Grip

GGS LCD Screen Protector (Optical Glass)

Lowepro bag to store camera and lenses (face down, screen up, top access)

Any other accessories which come highly recommended?

Kind Regards,

Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kiet_Hang
Contributing MemberPosts: 629
Like?
Re: Which accessories would you recommend for the V1?
In reply to Hman83, Jan 31, 2013

Hman83 wrote:

Hello everyone

I will be getting:

Richard Franiec V1 Grip

GGS LCD Screen Protector (Optical Glass)

Lowepro bag to store camera and lenses (face down, screen up, top access)

Any other accessories which come highly recommended?

Kind Regards,

If you are looking into a grip, I prefer the Fotodiox grip over the Franiec Grip sicne it makes it much easier to hold and balances very well with the FT1 due to it adding about 1/2 inch to the height of the V1.  I also have the leather half case with the built in padded grip for the V1 as well.  I can post pics of the V1 in that is you like.

As you can see, without the grip, the FT1 sticks down below the camera. I much prefer the grip if I am using the FT1

-- hide signature --

I am not a brand loyalist, I can take equally bad pictures with any brand...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Herts_JoaTMoN
Contributing MemberPosts: 654Gear list
Like?
Re: Which accessories would you recommend for the V1?
In reply to Kiet_Hang, Jan 31, 2013

I wanted that fotodiox grip but couldnt get it in the UK so settled on the franiec. It does improve the ergenomics, but I feel I would have preffered the other one. Would make it feel more like my NEX which I love.

To the OP, what lenses do you own / do you intend to get and do you intend on getting a flash unit? Could affect your bag purchase. Due to changing kit, I've been through about 4-5 different camera bags and I'm still not happy.

Also Monopods are great if your shooting telephoto and cant be bothered to set up a full tripod (im lazy and hate carrying them around unless I feel I really need it)

-- hide signature --

Ben Williams - UK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hertsjoatmon/
NEX 5N / E 18-55. E 16. UWA. Fisheye. Sigma 19. / Minolta MC 50 1.4. Tamron 90 2.5 Macro. Vivitar 100 3.5 Macro. Soligor 135 2.8 / Raynox DCR-250.
Nikon V1 / N1 10-30. N1 30-110.
Sony TX10.
Selling: Tamron 18-200 NEX (Sold)
Shopping list: NEX6 + 16-50 (replace 5N + 18-55) (if £600). SEL3518 (if £300). N1 6.7-13 (if £300). Pani wide angle converter GCW1 (if £90). SEL20 (if better than Sigma 19).
Wish list: Fast E mount 24-28 that wont break the bank. Fast Nikon 1 telephoto lens.

 Herts_JoaTMoN's gear list:Herts_JoaTMoN's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 V1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wlad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465
Like?
ML-L3
In reply to Hman83, Jan 31, 2013

or a chinese knockoff for half the price..if you haven't already got one..

These things are dirt cheap and you never know when you might want to use it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Scheinrb
Regular MemberPosts: 180
Like?
Re: Which accessories would you recommend for the V1?
In reply to Hman83, Jan 31, 2013

A glass screen protector?  I didn't know there is one made for the V1 but I checked it out and now intend to buy it.  Thanks for the post, I'm glad I saw it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Scheinrb
Regular MemberPosts: 180
Like?
Re: Which accessories would you recommend for the V1?
In reply to Scheinrb, Jan 31, 2013

Fed up with those bubbles on the plastic ones, they are also so difficult to install correctly and without getting fingerprints on the sticky side; and they always start coming off at the edges over time.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jared Huntr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,458Gear list
Like?
Weight of the grip?
In reply to Kiet_Hang, Jan 31, 2013

How much weight does this grip add? I got the V1 for a smaller size and weight. If find that for portability, it's weight that is most burdensome rather than size. The V1 is already quite heavy for it's size, as-is.

 Jared Huntr's gear list:Jared Huntr's gear list
Ricoh GR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mnhoj
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?
Re: Which accessories would you recommend for the V1?
In reply to Scheinrb, Jan 31, 2013

GGS LCD protector.

Gariz soft shutter button - awesome solution for that flat shutter release syndrome.

Franiec grip - very nice. Low profile and machined aluminum.

Gordy strap - n/t.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hman83
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
Re: Blurry corners may break this deal :(
In reply to mnhoj, Jan 31, 2013

@ Kiet_Hang

Thanks very much for the tip regarding the Fotodiox grip. Not sure how easy it is to get in the UK but I'll do some research. I see that it is a lot more larger than the Franiec grip which will assist better, however, the Franiec is asthetically more appealing to me.

@Scheinrb

You are welcome. Check out the GGS on eBay.

@ mnhoj

Love the picture and tips! Where did you get the shutter button from and how did you install it?

@ Herts_JoaTMoN

I'm in the UK/Germany so I may also have trouble getting the fotodiox grip. I can understand you wanting a more NEX type experience since you prefer the ergonomics of the Sony. It's all done to hand size and how the camera is held.

I do not intend getting a flash. I was going to get:

10-30mm
18.5mm
30-110mm

However, I noticed some really bad corner/egde sharpness which I believe is the 10-30mm. It's extremely distracting to my eyeys. see here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bayara_mma/7911343812/in/pool-nikon1v1

See how blurry the left corner is?
Here is another one:

www.stevehuffphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/housewithcrop.jpg

I'm really bummed about this cause I need VR for movies and the 10-30mm ios the only choice.

What do I do now?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jared Huntr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,458Gear list
Like?
Re: Which accessories would you recommend for the V1?
In reply to mnhoj, Jan 31, 2013

mnhoj wrote:

Gariz soft shutter button - awesome solution for that flat shutter release syndrome.

How is that button any functionally different from a little convex soft stick-on you can buy at the dollar store for a buck a dozen or so?

 Jared Huntr's gear list:Jared Huntr's gear list
Ricoh GR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kiet_Hang
Contributing MemberPosts: 629
Like?
Re: Which accessories would you recommend for the V1?
In reply to mnhoj, Jan 31, 2013

mnhoj wrote:

GGS LCD protector.

Gariz soft shutter button - awesome solution for that flat shutter release syndrome.

Franiec grip - very nice. Low profile and machined aluminum.

Gordy strap - n/t.

Love the strap.  I got that same strap and button after I saw your post over on the Cafe.

-- hide signature --

I am not a brand loyalist, I can take equally bad pictures with any brand...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Seedeich
Contributing MemberPosts: 889
Like?
Re: Which accessories would you recommend for the V1?
In reply to Hman83, Jan 31, 2013

Lenshood
UV or protect filter
SB-N5 flash
Polarizer
Tripod
Remote Control ML-L3

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mnhoj
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?
Re: Which accessories would you recommend for the V1?
In reply to Jared Huntr, Jan 31, 2013

Jared Huntr wrote:

mnhoj wrote:

Gariz soft shutter button - awesome solution for that flat shutter release syndrome.

How is that button any functionally different from a little convex soft stick-on you can buy at the dollar store for a buck a dozen or so?

It has a three stage inner spring that allows for a super-super-super soft release. Also the bond is made with a new nanotech that allows for over a thousand re applications. This is the red/green mood color. They also have blue/orange. I went with the red/green that day because I was feeling quite frisky. (:

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mnhoj
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?
Re: Blurry corners may break this deal :(
In reply to Hman83, Jan 31, 2013

Hman83 wrote:

@ mnhoj

Love the picture and tips! Where did you get the shutter button from and how did you install it?

You're welcome. I ebay ordered it and as Jared mentions it's just a fancy stick on.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,796Gear list
Like?
Re: Weight of the grip?
In reply to Jared Huntr, Jan 31, 2013

Jared Huntr wrote:

How much weight does this grip add? I got the V1 for a smaller size and weight. If find that for portability, it's weight that is most burdensome rather than size. The V1 is already quite heavy for it's size, as-is.

You would not like the Fotodiox Pro metal grip then. It is well made, but all metal and adds noticeable weight. It does not bother me though, nor a female co-worker who also bought the Fotodiox Pro grip. She really likes it, despite the extra weight it adds.




- Jon

 jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
myzel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,040Gear list
Like?
Re: Which accessories would you recommend for the V1?
In reply to Hman83, Feb 1, 2013

Hman83 wrote:

Hello everyone

Hello

I will be getting:

Richard Franiec V1 Grip

Buy the V1 first, then use it a while and then, if you really need it, buy a grip. In my opinion the V1 doesn't need a grip, if it is held correctly - you might want/need a grip, people a different

Any other accessories which come highly recommended?

Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5 mm f/1.8 lens. Best accessory for the V1 (in my opinion). Depending on your shooting style it could be the only thing you really need in addition to the V1.

An additional battery is useful. You probably won't need it, but it's always nice to know that there is a fresh battery in the bag.

 myzel's gear list:myzel's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rb0321
Contributing MemberPosts: 633Gear list
Like?
Re: Which accessories would you recommend for the V1?
In reply to myzel, Feb 1, 2013

Hman83 wrote:

I do not intend getting a flash. I was going to get:

10-30mm
18.5mm
30-110mm

However, I noticed some really bad corner/egde sharpness which I believe is the 10-30mm. It's extremely distracting to my eyeys. see here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bayara_mma/7911343812/in/pool-nikon1v1

See how blurry the left corner is?
Here is another one:

www.stevehuffphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/housewithcrop.jpg

I'm really bummed about this cause I need VR for movies and the 10-30mm ios the only choice.

What do I do now?


There is no EXIF data on this shot, could be made by any camera or lens. My 10-30mm is sharp across the frame, as are most.

Yes, definitely get a spare battery, well worth the peace of mind.

An additional battery is useful. You probably won't need it, but it's always nice to know that there is a fresh battery in the bag.

Good point, after a year now it feels just fine without a grip, even using the 18-200mm or 70-300mm.

myzel wrote:

Buy the V1 first, then use it a while and then, if you really need it, buy a grip. In my opinion the V1 doesn't need a grip, if it is held correctly - you might want/need a grip, people a different

 rb0321's gear list:rb0321's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hman83
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
Re: Which accessories would you recommend for the V1?
In reply to myzel, Feb 1, 2013

myzel wrote:

Hman83 wrote:

Hello everyone

Hello

I will be getting:

Richard Franiec V1 Grip

Buy the V1 first, then use it a while and then, if you really need it, buy a grip. In my opinion the V1 doesn't need a grip, if it is held correctly - you might want/need a grip, people a different

Any other accessories which come highly recommended?

Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5 mm f/1.8 lens. Best accessory for the V1 (in my opinion). Depending on your shooting style it could be the only thing you really need in addition to the V1.

An additional battery is useful. You probably won't need it, but it's always nice to know that there is a fresh battery in the bag.

I will be placing my order in the next few days and give the V1 a good test. Assuming I like what it produces, I may pickup the grip later. And if I do keep it, the 18.5mm is definitely on my shopping list.

So which battery has the largest capacity and which Nikon camera model battery's are compatible? i.e. D7000 battery?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Herts_JoaTMoN
Contributing MemberPosts: 654Gear list
Like?
Re: Blurry corners may break this deal :(
In reply to Hman83, Feb 1, 2013

Hman83 wrote:

I do not intend getting a flash. I was going to get:

10-30mm
18.5mm
30-110mm

I cant really comment on the 10-30. I do own it, but I dont use it. My NEX covers those focal lengths. If I was going to use the V1 on its own, the 3 lenses I'd use would be:

6.7-13mm

18.5mm

30-100mm

I'm not a fan of UV filters, but that is personal taste. Id rather use a lens hood. Gives me all the protection I need. A polarisor filter is a must though. Really good for lanscape work.

Some other nice options on here. I've put that glass screen protector in my wish list. I just have a cheap ebay one on mine at the moment. Its rubbish! Im on the fence about the shutter button.

I recently purchased a peak design capture as well. I think it would make a nice holster combined with a wrist strap.

The bag I currently have my eye on is called a Herringbone Atlantis (small). Their discovery bag is slightly smaller and cheaper, but I like the extra pocket on the Atlantis. I'll need to import it from the US though.

Tamrac Apia 3. Thinktank Hubba Hubba Hiney. Are some other nice options.

-- hide signature --

Ben Williams - UK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hertsjoatmon/
NEX 5N / E 18-55. E 16. UWA. Fisheye. Sigma 19. / Minolta MC 50 1.4. Tamron 90 2.5 Macro. Vivitar 100 3.5 Macro. Soligor 135 2.8 / Raynox DCR-250.
Nikon V1 / N1 10-30. N1 30-110.
Sony TX10.
Selling: Tamron 18-200 NEX (Sold)
Shopping list: NEX6 + 16-50 (replace 5N + 18-55) (if £600). SEL3518 (if £300). N1 6.7-13 (if £300). Pani wide angle converter GCW1 (if £90). SEL20 (if better than Sigma 19).
Wish list: Fast E mount 24-28 that wont break the bank. Fast Nikon 1 telephoto lens.

 Herts_JoaTMoN's gear list:Herts_JoaTMoN's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 V1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
noegd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,232Gear list
Like?
Re: Which accessories would you recommend for the V1?
In reply to mnhoj, Feb 1, 2013

mnhoj wrote:

GGS LCD protector.

Gariz soft shutter button - awesome solution for that flat shutter release syndrome.

Franiec grip - very nice. Low profile and machined aluminum.

Gordy strap - n/t.

looks cool. I might be tempted by this config - I sometimes miss shots because of the flush shutter release.

Note entirely sure about the Franiec grip, but if I get a grip, it is going to be this one. For me the larger ones defeat the purpose of having a small & light camera that fits in a coat pockect.

-- hide signature --

Equipment in profile...

 noegd's gear list:noegd's gear list
Leica V-Lux 30 Nikon D40 Nikon D2Hs Nikon D700 Leica M9 +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads