Any tricks to make this background true white?

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Questions
dbooksta
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?
Any tricks to make this background true white?
Jan 31, 2013

If I use a lasso select then when I fill the background white it leaves striking edges in the shadows of the objects.

If I try to color-correct or play with exposure it also affects the highlights of the bullets that have the same tones as the background.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

dbooksta's gear list:dbooksta's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony a77 II Tamron AF 28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 XR Di Aspherical (IF) Macro Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +7 more
ANSWER:
Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
Re: Any tricks to make this background true white?
In reply to dbooksta, Jan 31, 2013

dbooksta wrote:

If I use a lasso select then when I fill the background white it leaves striking edges in the shadows of the objects.

If I try to color-correct or play with exposure it also affects the highlights of the bullets that have the same tones as the background.

Extract the guns and amo onto a layer and add white colour layer behind, easy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gwlaw99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111
Like?

What software are you using.  Different software has different extraction tools. Lasso isn't going to cut it.

suddie1215
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,810Gear list
Like?

You're using the wrong tool to select.  In Photoshop you'd need to use a more advanced selection tool like Color Range or Channels to select the white background.  Then you can add a Levels or Curves adjustment layer to push the whites to pure white (255) and invert the selection to add a mask that protects the  guns and ammo from any adjustment.  It also should be noted that the background is unevenly lit so pushing it to pure white will blow out some portions.

dbooksta wrote:

suddie1215's gear list:suddie1215's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
Adventsam
Like?
In reply to Adventsam, Jan 31, 2013

Jack Sofield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,168
Like?

My effort.  Topaz Remask plus a lot of hand work. Reversed selection and flooded with white. Considerable brush and cloning to get inbetween rounds. Not perfect perhaps, but fun nevertheless. Thanks for the challenge.

-- hide signature --

Always teach for understanding, not agreement. JC Sofield www.pbase.com/jcsofield

drh681
Forum ProPosts: 12,040Gear list
Like?

In the levels dialog, choose the white point eyedropper. click in the lower right corner.

then you need to use the shadow/highlight dialog to bring the tones of the pistols back down.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

drh681's gear list:drh681's gear list
Nokia Lumia Icon
mikes
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,023
Like?

I just used Vertus Fluid Mask, then a few touch-ups afterwards around the bullets to keep a bit of shadow. All done with Corel.

dbooksta wrote:

-- hide signature --

Only when you can criticize yourself, should you criticize others. Mikes.

Babine
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,543
Like?

And yet another way ..

A - your original JPG

B - the original into ACR. The results of sampling various areas of the BG with the white balance tool.

C - in CS6, duplicate of B; set a copy of A over-top, applied a hide-all mask and added back some colour to the rounds with a soft white brush; merged down; duplicated the layer; used the quick selection tool to get an alpha channel of just the sidearms; applied Shadows/Highlights to enhance the detail universally and then the alpha channel and a mask to restrict the effect just to the sidearms; sharpened selectively.

-

Cheers.
Gary
http://forums.dpreview.com/Galleries/8298604696/photos
http://www.pbase.com/pictek
From a patient during his colonoscopy, 'Hey Doc. Could you write a note for my buddy saying that my head is not up there?'

GCam
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,271
Like?
In reply to dbooksta, Feb 1, 2013

try selective color adjustment layer>select white>move black slider to left.  gc

dbooksta
Like?
In reply to suddie1215, Feb 1, 2013

suddie1215 wrote:

You're using the wrong tool to select. In Photoshop you'd need to use a more advanced selection tool like Color Range or Channels to select the white background. Then you can add a Levels or Curves adjustment layer to push the whites to pure white (255) and invert the selection to add a mask that protects the guns and ammo from any adjustment. It also should be noted that the background is unevenly lit so pushing it to pure white will blow out some portions.

(Note that I actually do want to blow out the whole background to pure white.)

The results of your process look great.  I tried to follow your instructions in Photoshop but I'm too much of a novice.  If you have the patience and could spell out the process you followed (including behind which tool and/or sub-sub-menu each step is hidden) I would be be thrilled.

In any case your results set a superior example of what can be done in this situation, and I thank you for that!

Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony a77 II Tamron AF 28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 XR Di Aspherical (IF) Macro Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +7 more
hedwards
Regular MemberPosts: 268
Like?

This is an easy one. The only white I see in the entire image is the background. Neither the gun nor the ammo seems to have any white.

So, just copy the layer and apply threshold to the new layer. You should see in the histogram a place where things are whiter than the highlights on everything except the background. Choose somewhere that only makes the bullets and gun black.

Then just use the select by color range and make sure that it will select all the black in the image. Cut the black away and you should be left with an image that has the brightest possible background in about 3 minutes tops.

dbooksta
Like?
In reply to Adventsam, Feb 1, 2013

Adventsam wrote:

Using the Magic Wand to extract them this approach either leaves a stark shadow around the guns, or if pushed to snug up to the guns begins to encroach on the ammo.

dbooksta
Like?
In reply to Babine, Feb 1, 2013

Babine wrote:

And yet another way ..

A - your original JPG

B - the original into ACR. The results of sampling various areas of the BG with the white balance tool.

C - in CS6, duplicate of B; set a copy of A over-top, applied a hide-all mask and added back some colour to the rounds with a soft white brush; merged down; duplicated the layer; used the quick selection tool to get an alpha channel of just the sidearms; applied Shadows/Highlights to enhance the detail universally and then the alpha channel and a mask to restrict the effect just to the sidearms; sharpened selectively.

-

Cheers.
Gary
http://forums.dpreview.com/Galleries/8298604696/photos
http://www.pbase.com/pictek

Excellent results -- thanks!  But sounds way beyond my capabilities with CS6 at this point!

dbooksta
Like?
In reply to hedwards, Feb 1, 2013

hedwards wrote:

This is an easy one. The only white I see in the entire image is the background. Neither the gun nor the ammo seems to have any white.

So, just copy the layer and apply threshold to the new layer. You should see in the histogram a place where things are whiter than the highlights on everything except the background. Choose somewhere that only makes the bullets and gun black.

Then just use the select by color range and make sure that it will select all the black in the image. Cut the black away and you should be left with an image that has the brightest possible background in about 3 minutes tops.

That almost works, except that the bullets have a few highlights that are actually whiter than the background, which is what makes this (as far as I knew) much harder....

hedwards
Regular MemberPosts: 268
Like?

Well, in that case, you break out the lasso or paint those in black on that black and white layer. Or you set the magic wand to only accept contiguous areas when doing the selection.

If you just want to color balance the white background, you can copy the b&W layer and use it as the mask for a application of levels. Just copy it into the layer mask should work. And use that grey eyedropper to balance the color or move the middle triangle till you like the result.

Allen Gerdes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,204
Like?
In reply to hedwards, Feb 1, 2013

I would like to see your results using this method.

Regards....Allen

Adventsam
Like?

dbooksta wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

Using the Magic Wand to extract them this approach either leaves a stark shadow around the guns, or if pushed to snug up to the guns begins to encroach on the ammo.

There's no shadow in my attempt? it was quick and dirty and I could tidy it up but it's easy to do.

SamanthaN
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

I would mask it using a path and then fill with white or use a guy like clippingshop.com to take care of it for you.

GCam
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,271
Like?

select white with magic wand, including outer shadows>invert selection>image>apply image>

rgb>multiply>opacity at 50%>flatten>invert selection>edit>fill>white.  gc

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads