What Is The One Feature You Would Most Like To See In A DSLR?

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions
Carl Maiorino
Senior MemberPosts: 1,856
Like?
What Is The One Feature You Would Most Like To See In A DSLR?
Jan 31, 2013

I have thought long and hard on this one, if I could ever talk to the "powers that be" at Nikon, what would I plead for...so here it goes...

I have spent the last 6 years shooting runway and other events in the fashion and entertainment industry in New York City, Miami and elsewhere (branching out to Europe hoprfully this year or next).  I see alot of interesting rigs, especially on the red carpet and celebrity arrival areas...flash attachments that look like something out of Star Wars and all kinds of stuff...wonderful, but that doesn't make you a better shooter when Johnny Nikon with just a simple flash gets the shot because he was just quicker than you.

Last season at NY Fashion Week, I saw some Getty photographers shooting with iPhones and iPads...yep, you heard it right, iPhones and iPads!!!  Why?  Speed!!!  The bloggers and street fashion shooters are using smartphones and they are posting images to facebook, twitter, instagram, etc within seconds after shooting them.  The media photographers have to run (or send a runner with the card) to the press lounge, download then upload, taking a half hour or more from the image capture to the upload.  They have been scooped by a blogger with a $100 cell phone.  Don't be a snob...the iPhone can actually shoot a pretty nice image in capable hands.

What does Nikon need to do for me?  Simple!  A DSLR that is wi-fi enabled (better yet with a 4G data plan from Verizon, Sprint, etc to connect virtually anywhere) and a Social Media menu that allows me to snap an image of Mr Superstar or Miss Superstar and IMMEDIATELY UPLOAD THE IMAGE TO A SOCIAL MEDIA SITE, STRAIGHT FROM THE CAMERA.  In seconds, just like the bloggers with smartphones can do.

Please Nikon, please?

For those of you who think this is foolish and scoff at this, welcome to the 20th Century, welcome to the 1990's and the old way of doing things...this industry, and the way we shoot and share images, is going to change drastically in the next few years.  Ironically, Nikon's and Canon's biggest compettiors might not be each each other, the DSLR's biggest competitor might not be 4/3 or mirrorless...they might all be fighting the mighty smartphone and tablet as Apple and others listen to consumers (and even some professionals who will use whatever tool gets the job done) and makes these devices even slicker...

More from the pit later as NYFW approaches...

JacquesC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,410
Like?
Re: What Is The One Feature You Would Most Like To See In A DSLR?
In reply to Carl Maiorino, Jan 31, 2013

I suspect we are not far from having exactly that functionality. If P&S cameras can have it without needing to plug in some sort of attachment (very annoying and in the way) then surely DSLR's can have the same ?

Efficient and fast wi-fi capability will be quite a help to me too when either shooting in the studio (much better visual feedback than the camera LCD) and even weddings where guests can view photo's seconds after having been taken.

-- hide signature --

Jacques
Apple & Eve website and blog : apple-and-eve.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,547Gear list
Like?

Carl Maiorino wrote:

I have thought long and hard on this one, if I could ever talk to the "powers that be" at Nikon, what would I plead for...so here it goes...

I have spent the last 6 years shooting runway and other events in the fashion and entertainment industry in New York City, Miami and elsewhere (branching out to Europe hoprfully this year or next). I see alot of interesting rigs, especially on the red carpet and celebrity arrival areas...flash attachments that look like something out of Star Wars and all kinds of stuff...wonderful, but that doesn't make you a better shooter when Johnny Nikon with just a simple flash gets the shot because he was just quicker than you.

Last season at NY Fashion Week, I saw some Getty photographers shooting with iPhones and iPads...yep, you heard it right, iPhones and iPads!!! Why? Speed!!! The bloggers and street fashion shooters are using smartphones and they are posting images to facebook, twitter, instagram, etc within seconds after shooting them. The media photographers have to run (or send a runner with the card) to the press lounge, download then upload, taking a half hour or more from the image capture to the upload. They have been scooped by a blogger with a $100 cell phone. Don't be a snob...the iPhone can actually shoot a pretty nice image in capable hands.

What does Nikon need to do for me? Simple! A DSLR that is wi-fi enabled (better yet with a 4G data plan from Verizon, Sprint, etc to connect virtually anywhere) and a Social Media menu that allows me to snap an image of Mr Superstar or Miss Superstar and IMMEDIATELY UPLOAD THE IMAGE TO A SOCIAL MEDIA SITE, STRAIGHT FROM THE CAMERA. In seconds, just like the bloggers with smartphones can do.

Please Nikon, please?

For those of you who think this is foolish and scoff at this, welcome to the 20th Century, welcome to the 1990's and the old way of doing things...this industry, and the way we shoot and share images, is going to change drastically in the next few years. Ironically, Nikon's and Canon's biggest compettiors might not be each each other, the DSLR's biggest competitor might not be 4/3 or mirrorless...they might all be fighting the mighty smartphone and tablet as Apple and others listen to consumers (and even some professionals who will use whatever tool gets the job done) and makes these devices even slicker...

More from the pit later as NYFW approaches...

Do you mean cellular-capable rather than wifi? Probably both would be optimal for your needs.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Carl Maiorino
Like?
Going Direct To The Computer Is Nice, But...
In reply to JacquesC, Jan 31, 2013

It still is an extra step for the red carpet shooter and he just got scooped 3 times over by the smartphone-enabled blogger.  The camera needs a reliable 4G connection (not merely public wi-fi) and a social media menu to go direct to facebook, twitter, instagram, etc...right from the camera

Unfortunately, I see nothing from either Nikon or Canon that tells me they are thinking this...I hope I am wrong...

Carl Maiorino
Like?
Yes, Cellular-Capable...
In reply to Rick Knepper, Jan 31, 2013

...Thanks for helping my word-challenged brain this early in the morning...

mdiphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?

I guess we will soon see cloud DSLRs by Nikon. Basically you would only need a wifi modul in the cam and connect it to your smartphone. Together with an app this should work fine.

I don't know if there are still solutions with wifi-sd cards??

frank-in-toronto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010
Like?
Re: Yes, Cellular-Capable...

i would like to see this too.  as long as the battery life stays the same and there's no interference with the sensor.  this raises the question of gps built-in also.  but with menu settings to turn them on/off, the drawback is little.  i can't remember right now, maybe it was an olympus, but one camera used the penta-prism hump to house the gps.  perhaps there would be negative impact.

JacquesC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,410
Like?
In reply to mdiphoto, Jan 31, 2013

mdiphoto wrote:

Basically you would only need a wifi modul in the cam and connect it to your smartphone. Together with an app this should work fine.

This is perhaps the most likely scenario, the phone can be set up in advance to re-route photo's being uploaded to your media destination of choice.

Who knows, maybe there are already smartphone apps  available that can do this ?

-- hide signature --

Jacques
Apple & Eve website and blog : apple-and-eve.com

Carl Maiorino
Like?
Too Slow And Cumbersome...
In reply to mdiphoto, Jan 31, 2013

...I wouldn't want to connect to a smartphone...this all needs to be done in camera with NO attachments...

Carl Maiorino
Like?
In reply to JacquesC, Jan 31, 2013

The problem with that approach is that it is another connection that could "disconnect" or otherwise malfunction...the best approach is a 100% in-camera solution...

Carl Maiorino
Like?
This Is How I Would Want To See It Work?

You buy your new D5 or D900.  Take it out of the box and charge the battery.  Now, as you set up your options, WB, Picture Controls, etc to get the camera to work the way you want, you also go to the Social Media menu and configure it to tell the camera the name of your facebook page, your twitter account, etc.

Now it's time.  You are standing outside the Lincoln Center during NYFW and Paris Hilton walks past and looks over her shoulder and smiles at you (in spite of what alot of people say, she is a pretty girl)...you have the "money shot".  You click your preview button to see the image on your monitor.  You click the Social Media button which then brings up a little drop-down menu that says "facebook", "twitter", "instagram".  You use your multi-selector to tab up or down to the right one and press the ok button.  Away the image goes to your facebook page, or twitter account, etc.

I prefer this to just automatic routing as I don't want to upload everything as the "money shot" could get stuck in a logjam of images, plus why upload the flubs?

This is what I want, 100% in-camera with no attachments.  Nikon? Santa Claus? Anybody?

TheRidgeback
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
One feature I would love to see, well two really.

I would love the following two options,

1) A true raw image.

Nikon do not provide you with a true raw image unlike canon, the image is always processed before its saved on the card and they modded the mode3 option out of the D3 with their latest firmware. Why, well if they did then they might get more people using their camera for astronomical imaging which needs an unprocessed raw image.

2) A programable Bulb function

For the same reason above, 30s is not long enough and to use the bulb you need a cable, yes i know you can hold the button down, but that will never work, allow us to select up to say 900s yes 15 mins! Yes i know that i can use and do use a computer to extend the bulb but that means more leads.
What i want is to dump the camera on the back of the telescope, set it up for 50 shots at 300s, press the button and off it goes.
Mac.

TheRidgeback's gear list:TheRidgeback's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
slidewilson
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
Re: This Is How I Would Want To See It Work?

I know it's an extra step, but have you tried Camranger? (camranger.com)

Zolty
Regular MemberPosts: 199Gear list
Like?

The features  - I'd like to see DSLR working flawlesly, maybe next gen AF modules - accurate, combined maybe with Contrast detection (auto-calibration of lenses?).

Features I do not want to see are oil and dust on a sensor in brand new cameras.

Zolty's gear list:Zolty's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
Michael S.
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,604Gear list
Like?
Re: Best possible IQ! (nt)
-- hide signature --

Michael S.
EUROPE; dpreview since 2001
NIKON NPS Member
(check equipment via profile)
http://www.pbase.com/bountyhunter

Michael S.'s gear list:Michael S.'s gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240
Brent Allen Thale
Regular MemberPosts: 486Gear list
Like?

The feature I would like to see on cameras is increased computerization in general. In your example of instant paparazzi photos, I could also see the need to overlay a watermark, do some basic editing, etc, before Tweeting it out.

Computers are now fast enough to do things like recognizing people. For example, the "Kinect" device on the Xbox 360 "knows" what people are, realizes when they enter and leave the frame, and understands how human limbs move. Wouldn't it be useful to say "lock focus on Paris' eyes as long as she remains in the frame" and the computer holds that focus no matter how the subject or the camera move?

Also, the whole mechanical shutter thing is a remnant of the film technology days. It must be possible to make a digital shutter that would greatly simplify the issue of flash syncing.

Brent Allen Thale's gear list:Brent Allen Thale's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
frank-in-toronto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010
Like?
In reply to Zolty, Jan 31, 2013

Zolty wrote:

The features - I'd like to see DSLR working flawlesly, maybe next gen AF modules - accurate, combined maybe with Contrast detection (auto-calibration of lenses?).

Features I do not want to see are oil and dust on a sensor in brand new cameras.

well, somehow i doubt if working on wifi would mean they stop working on AF, but you could be right.  as an enthusiast, i'd like them to first fix the currently known flaws before adding new features.  but manufacturers are market driven. so maybe we'll get new features and some flaws fixed.  that's a good compromise.

thinking seriously, wifi is coming. nikon is testing the water with the wu-1a/b. altho it plugs in the side in a precarious manner this making it touchy for a pro to use during a paid shoot, perhaps they'll mod it later to be more secure.

i've had other devices where i walk into the room where my computer was (on of course) and all my data was transferred by the time i took off my hat and cot and sat down. wouldn't that be nice?

gwenhael appere
Regular MemberPosts: 362Gear list
Like?

Hi,

i absolutely agree. I'm not a professional, just a hobbyist, but i definitely see the value in having my DSLR linked with a phone/data package. Why havent they done it yet ??

You know who's trying ? Samsung. They are trying to disturb the market through wifi. They don't have the know-how to make their cameras a first-choice-Nikon-Canon-DSLR-replacement yet, but they're certainly progressing fast.

Canon and Nikon are dinosaurs in terms of connectivity !

Cheers

Gwen

gwenhael appere's gear list:gwenhael appere's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads