Creating the Impossible with Unusual Focal Length : SHOW YOURS!

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,340
Like?
Creating the Impossible with Unusual Focal Length : SHOW YOURS!
Jan 30, 2013

After a few days of just experimenting with the new little Rokinon 7.5mm FE, I decided to go out for a walk and start using the lens for real.

I came back with this image, that I thought might spark a nice idea for an image-sharing thread.

That is the (currently closed for renovation) Royal Museum of Fine Arts in Antwerp.

It looks like a large classical building behind a really really big pond, doesn't it?

Almost a bit like a reflecting pool in the tradition of this one (not my image, just shown for comparison purposes - found on "gallery.moeding.net"):

Well, actually, that pond in Antwerp is not really all that big.

It is a work of art, consisting of a brass base representing leaves or seaweeds, and it fills and empties itself with water every half hour or so, like a tidal basin.

You can get an idea of the actual dimension in this shot (again not mine, but shown here for comparison only - found on "antiquairs-antwerpen.be"):

Ain't it strange how using an extreme focal length can deceive us, pretty spectacularly?

The fisheye effect gives away that something is going on, but the deception would have been the same with a rectilinear ultra wide angle.

Picking a vantage point at the edge of the pool and using UWA, creates the illusion of the water being much larger than it actually is.

The opposite deception can occur with telephoto.

Any focal length much removed from the standard range, can create those alienating illusions.

I know you have done it.

So participate and show us how YOU have created the impossible perspective.

I'm already pleased if you show us your deceptive photo (of a landmark or whatever).

I would be even more pleased if you can include reference material to show a "normal" view.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

deleted_081301
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
Re: Creating the Impossible with Unusual Focal Length : SHOW YOURS!
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Jan 30, 2013

I used my four thirds Sanyang 8mm lens with an adaptor on my EPL-1 for this shot

deleted_081301's gear list:deleted_081301's gear list
Olympus C-4000 Zoom Olympus E-300 Olympus PEN E-PL1s Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,540Gear list
Like?
I'm not surprised.
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Jan 30, 2013

Not surprised at you, that is.

This is what many do with normal lenses.   Looking for unusual ways to depict the common scene, or just the common object.   It works the same, thought the potential is not as extreme.   But you do that all the time, so this is not surprising from you.

But it's an inspired challenge, maybe more inspired than you realize. [g]

WTG, Roel.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,468Gear list
Like?
Re: Here Some.
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Jan 31, 2013

Nice Topic.

• Here is are some of my collection.

Taken at Buddha Eden. Portugal.

Taken at Buddha Eden. Portugal.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,679Gear list
Like?
Wide angle with a telephoto

and a little cut & paste magic with a macro lens and a tele lens:

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,717Gear list
Like?

I did not do this:

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,377Gear list
Like?

Nice photo Roel, love the distortions and the effects of them.

Just a story which I've always found interesting and somewhat related to odd focal lengths.

This guy I knew..who sometimes worked for the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Assoc.) as a photographer wanted to photograph Sean Tucker's aerobatic plane, the Oracle "in flight". So they get a Cessna (or equivalent) and both take off. Now this guy who goes by the name of 'Mongoose..don't know his real name (used to "fly" on an air combat Sim. with him)..figures that using a telephoto won't look so hot with it's seeming compression etc. and decides on the widest lens he has for his Nikon...which at that time might have been the Sigma 12-24. So the planes get in position, and he keeps telling the pilot and Tucker "get me closer, until the planes are feet apart (dangerous with anyone but Tucker), so the subject was still not filling the frame. What "Mongoose" ended up doing was having a couple of people hold on to him, while he either leaned out the door or window (I don't know which and didn't ask, since I didn't quite want to know) until he was nearly half way out. You should see that photo, and what an ultra wide angle can accomplish in some cases. It really looked like he was just a few feet from the prop, which he was. He sent me a copy of the pic. Really something. Guy is crazy.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?

Getting in close with the 12-50mm at its wide end.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,377Gear list
Like?

Here's a couple (The widest I have is the Panny 14 with a WCON 0.7 for an EFL of 19.6mm) - but does distort with it's close focusing ability.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

Clayton Jones
Contributing MemberPosts: 725
Like?

This was done with the 40-150 @ 150mm on an E-PL2.  It was taken from the valley floor on Hwy 395 in California looking up into the Sierra peaks in King's Canyon Nat'l Park during a late afternoon snowstorm.  The lens f.o.v. eliminates any perspective clues and makes it look as if the camera is at the same level as the peaks (I've been asked "Where WERE you when you took that!"). 
Looking at a map, I'm estimating that the peaks are somewhere between 10 and 15 miles distant.  I'm not sure exactly which peaks these are, but according to the map the highest in that area are over 13,000 and 14,000 ft.  The camera was hand-held but braced on top of a fence post in strong gusty wind.

Snow Storm, Sierra Peaks  1/1600 @ f/5.6  iso 200, 150mm

Regards,
Clayton

Info on black and white digital printing at  
http://www.cjcom.net/digiprnarts.htm
I-Trak 3.0   http://www.cjcom.net/itrak.htm

Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,923
Like?
Unusual shots with past gear.

Who's in and who's out.

Family portrait.

Gentle Ben.

It wasn't me, mister.

This way, miss.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,783Gear list
Like?
Telephoto compression

There was a photo contest in 2011 to decide a poster campaign for the national park here.  Two entry themes, but in this case, the winner was selected from the "Rishiri + Ferry" category.  Most of the images I have seen of the island are done horizontal, and including the boat means either a small ship on the horizon barely discernible, or something close to the lens that dominates the mountain in the background.  Well, I figured that telephoto compression could be used to offer a single image of both that would be complimentary to the mountain's size and yet not render the ferry a small speck.  The trick was just to abandon the sides of the mountain and focus on the peak (not sure if they considered the framing, but this is a poster - ie tall, not wide)... the icing on the top was finding a couple of gulls hanging out on the rocks just far enough from the lens to get them in the frame (and in focus).  This was really the DOF/noise/diffraction limit though, taking f22 or thereabouts with 300mm on FF, at ISO400 to freeze the boat (which at this magnification is moving fast).  I couldn't even use a PL filter for a striking sky/clarity in the trees because photon count was at a premium.  Typical examples can be seen on the submissions link above.

Here is the selected photo:

and a photo of the final poster with my cellphone:

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
trunker
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?

can i play?

i'm not on MFT yet,.. waiting for a GH3 to come in,...

but this shot of mine came to mind when i read the thread:

the jesus christ figure is actually less than a meter from toe to crown but looks massive here mostly due to a mix of anamorphic lens plus hyperfocal range(?) plus teeny sensor giving me huge DOF.

if i recall correctly it was a 55m f2 helios 44 on my little nikon v1.

zabatman
Regular MemberPosts: 371Gear list
Like?
'Impossible' views

zabatman's gear list:zabatman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +14 more
Rol Lei Nut
Regular MemberPosts: 271
Like?
Re: Unusual shots with past gear.
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, Jan 31, 2013

While maybe not really "unusual", the racoon family shot is great.

My 14mo daughter also went beserk looking at it...

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Exactly
In reply to Chez Wimpy, Jan 31, 2013

Chez Wimpy wrote:

There was a photo contest in 2011 to decide a poster campaign for the national park here. Two entry themes, but in this case, the winner was selected from the "Rishiri + Ferry" category. Most of the images I have seen of the island are done horizontal, and including the boat means either a small ship on the horizon barely discernible, or something close to the lens that dominates the mountain in the background. Well, I figured that telephoto compression could be used to offer a single image of both that would be complimentary to the mountain's size and yet not render the ferry a small speck. The trick was just to abandon the sides of the mountain and focus on the peak (not sure if they considered the framing, but this is a poster - ie tall, not wide)... the icing on the top was finding a couple of gulls hanging out on the rocks just far enough from the lens to get them in the frame (and in focus). This was really the DOF/noise/diffraction limit though, taking f22 or thereabouts with 300mm on FF, at ISO400 to freeze the boat (which at this magnification is moving fast). I couldn't even use a PL filter for a striking sky/clarity in the trees because photon count was at a premium. Typical examples can be seen on the submissions link above.

Here is the selected photo:

and a photo of the final poster with my cellphone:

-- hide signature --

-CW

This is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of (in the telephoto category).

And a nice shot it is too.

And portrait orientation works great here.

And finally : congratulations on the honour of being chosen.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Re: I'm not surprised.
In reply to Bob Tullis, Jan 31, 2013

Bob Tullis wrote:

Not surprised at you, that is.

This is what many do with normal lenses. Looking for unusual ways to depict the common scene, or just the common object. It works the same, thought the potential is not as extreme. But you do that all the time, so this is not surprising from you.

Thanks.

But it's an inspired challenge, maybe more inspired than you realize. [g]

We'll see what gets posted!

WTG, Roel.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,919Gear list
Like?

This is probably not exactly what you wish.. but the other day I caught this picture :

I was waiting for the couple to appear in front of the large window pane.. but then they lost their head for longer than I thought they would. This is the result.

When they finally appeared it was less intereresting than I thought it would be

I had caught that somewhat earlier and it is sure better than the second one.

I'm still hesitating whether I should prefer that last one or the first one without heads. What do you think ?

Note that this place used to be a jail. It has now been transformed in an art museum and the paintings are exhibited in the little cells. You get a curious feeling when you enter there, because the former use of the building is still very present and you can't avoid thinking to the prisoners who occupied those cells not so long ago.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,679Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, Jan 31, 2013

rrr_hhh wrote:

This is probably not exactly what you wish.. but the other day I caught this picture :

I was waiting for the couple to appear in front of the large window pane.. but then they lost their head for longer than I thought they would. This is the result.

When they finally appeared it was less intereresting than I thought it would be

I had caught that somewhat earlier and it is sure better than the second one.

I'm still hesitating whether I should prefer that last one or the first one without heads. What do you think ?

Note that this place used to be a jail. It has now been transformed in an art museum and the paintings are exhibited in the little cells. You get a curious feeling when you enter there, because the former use of the building is still very present and you can't avoid thinking to the prisoners who occupied those cells not so long ago.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

I prefer the last. The first has headless people in it. Mmmm... generally not a good idea. The second has people cut in half and they're indistinct on top of that. Usually it's not good to have elements that make the viewer confused as to their identity. "What's that blob in the background? I can't tell." The third has a distinct, whole person that gives a human element and a bit of movement to the scene. IMHO

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,468Gear list
Like?
Re: Unusual shots with past gear.
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, Jan 31, 2013

Good images, favorites are 2 and 3, and the last one I also liked but in the top I would have give a bit more space for the sky.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads