Connecting an a77 and iPad through HDMI (help please)

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions
Fish Tank
Contributing MemberPosts: 933
Like?
Connecting an a77 and iPad through HDMI (help please)
Jan 30, 2013

Hey all, surprised this question has not come up more (especially on the web) as there seems to be no answer - that I want

The a77 has HDMI out. I can see everything when plugged into my TV - previews, shooting and review. Is there a way (using the Apple HDMI to 30 pin adapter) to utilize the iPad as a larger external review monitor as it does on a TV? Any apps that allow reverse video feed back in? I think we can all realize how useful this would be at a shoot to review pics with clients, or even at home to better review images - sort of a stop-gap (and more portable) tethered solution.

Don't care for WiFi cards, usb cables or anything that is not related to simply plugging the camera into the iPad and getting a "live feed".

Hoping to find anyone with experience/curious/heard of anything

Thanks in advance,

John

Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Seeky
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
Re: Connecting an a77 and iPad through HDMI (help please)
In reply to Fish Tank, Jan 30, 2013

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3376061

in this thread someone wants to use the iPad 128gb as storage device. Maybe he can tell you something about connecting the iPad to an A77, but I doubt what you want is possible.

Seeky's gear list:Seeky's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,762Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fish Tank, Jan 30, 2013

Fish Tank wrote:

Hey all, surprised this question has not come up more (especially on the web) as there seems to be no answer - that I want

The a77 has HDMI out. I can see everything when plugged into my TV - previews, shooting and review. Is there a way (using the Apple HDMI to 30 pin adapter) to utilize the iPad as a larger external review monitor as it does on a TV? Any apps that allow reverse video feed back in? I think we can all realize how useful this would be at a shoot to review pics with clients, or even at home to better review images - sort of a stop-gap (and more portable) tethered solution.

I believe that the iPad HDMI may be capable of output only so you won't be able to use the HDMI converter but plugging the standard iPad cable into the A77 via USB might work with the right app (if such an app even exists).

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
swainer
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
In reply to tbcass, Jan 30, 2013

nothing.... unfortunately the its a one way street with apple on this.  Thats what I was hoping that the new 128GB iPad would change that and Apple will allow it knowing that there are alot of people interested in the same thing.  but for now, no apps, no nothing.

Rexel99
Regular MemberPosts: 422Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fish Tank, Jan 31, 2013

I imagine that if the iPad HDMI adapter allowed any form of input it would have been well exploited by now. Otherwise these (third party or original Sony) would be your best option

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FEELWORLD-High-Resolution-1080P-LCD-On-Camera-Monitor-HDMI-In-LP-E6-Adapter-/160872516315?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item2574bfcadb&_uhb=1

Rexel99's gear list:Rexel99's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +5 more
Gregg Helleren
Contributing MemberPosts: 594
Like?
In reply to Rexel99, Jan 31, 2013

Finding any tablet/netbook/ultrabook with HDMI input is pretty tough.

-- hide signature --

Warning: Do not stare into laser with remaining eye!

IanML
Senior MemberPosts: 1,066
Like?
In reply to Gregg Helleren, Jan 31, 2013

Gregg Helleren wrote:

Finding any tablet/netbook/ultrabook with HDMI input is pretty tough.

-

That is because the copyright owners do not want computers to be used to capture HD content.  The devices which support HDMI capture are professional level and very expensive, and built for desktop PCs.

For the consumer, HDMI input is only available for displays, e.g monitors and TVs.

-- hide signature --

Ian

Fish Tank
Contributing MemberPosts: 933
Like?
Thank you all
In reply to Fish Tank, Jan 31, 2013

Guess it really isn't possible. Cheers for all the input and perspective. Really appreciated.

Steve Cohan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,368Gear list
Like?
The above post is the correct answer. HDMI
In reply to IanML, Jan 31, 2013

is actually a form of copy protection. You'll never see s DVD recorder with an HDMI "in" port.

Steve Cohan's gear list:Steve Cohan's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +14 more
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,151Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you all
In reply to Fish Tank, Feb 1, 2013

Sony used to support static image tethering via the USB port, on their A700.  But they seem to have removed that capability from the A77.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-} www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
OntarioJohn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gregg Helleren, Feb 1, 2013

Not tough at all.  Sony actually makes quite a number of them.

Most are for the pro video market.  There are LOTS of others that have focus tricks up their sleeve, but I've never used on for still shots.

Here's one.  HDMI input, meant to be mounted as part of a video camera but should work just dandy for stills.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-LPM770BP/

Go figure.  Sony.

-- hide signature --

John D. Conley nemo me impune lacessit

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads