E-mount lens lineup update

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,223Gear list
Like?
Re: Where is the high magnification zoom for 2012?
In reply to zackiedawg, Jan 31, 2013

zackiedawg wrote:

Could possibly be the 18-200mm P?

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

That's a disappointment if true.  200mm doesn't really count as high magnification IMO.

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aap292
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
In reply to Bart Hickman, Jan 31, 2013

No new additions to the roadmap, but there is supposedly more lens production etc.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/hot-new-sony-e-mount-roadmap/

RGBaker
Contributing MemberPosts: 506Gear list
Like?

Bart Hickman wrote:

zackiedawg wrote:

-- hide signature --

Justin

That's a disappointment if true. 200mm doesn't really count as high magnification IMO.

Bart

-- hide signature --

Well, at 300 equivalent it is hard to think of many zooms that exceed that -- and given that the wide-to-tele range is greater than 11:1 I'd say the lens meets just about any description of 'high magnification'.  I hope that someone releases an e-mount tele-extender sometime soon, as my own requirement for extreme tele is only occasional -- a 1.4x extender with any of the e-mount '200' zooms would give me more than enough for that odd time when I needed a lot of reach.

I'd hope for a higher speed prime tele, something like a 135 f2.8 would probably suit -- that would give me the equivalent in reach and DOF of a 200 f4 on a FF camera, and I could live with that.  Other than that, most of my lens needs are either met or will be with this year's roll-out.
Cheers,
GB

RGBaker's gear list:RGBaker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Dirk U
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?

Disappointment here too.

Can people who understand lens design please confirm whether there is merit in the suggestions that the NEX system cannot have a good long (say 350mm+ for game or birding) prime lens - perhaps a constraint due to the small flange back distance?

Are there so many 18 - 200 zooms because 200mm is the practical limit for NEX?

iGirl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,562
Like?
In reply to zackiedawg, Jan 31, 2013

zackiedawg wrote:

-- hide signature --

Justin

What the heck is a "P" lens?

That range is a perfect all arounder.  Now only to choose - which one?

18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS  (original silver)

18-200mm F3.5-6.3 LE OSS  (black)

18-200mm F3.5-6.3 P OSS  (???)

Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-6.3   (similar to...)

Did Sony fix the zoom creep in the LE model?

aap292
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
In reply to iGirl, Jan 31, 2013

iGirl wrote:

What the heck is a "P" lens?

Power zoom?

RGBaker
Like?
In reply to Dirk U, Jan 31, 2013

Dirk U wrote:

Disappointment here too.

Can people who understand lens design please confirm whether there is merit in the suggestions that the NEX system cannot have a good long (say 350mm+ for game or birding) prime lens - perhaps a constraint due to the small flange back distance?

You can mount long lenses on a e-mount using an adapter, so I doubt there is any merit in a '200mm maximum' because of flange depth argument.
The simple truth is the demand for the lens you ask for is likely modest -- I worked in photographic retail for five or six years, and never once sold a lens that exceeded 300mm in length.  You're asking for something over 500mm equiv. -- a very small niche, IMHO.  A 200mm lens in APS-C represents the high end of any tele that was available in volume for FF.
The 'P' likely stands for 'power', as the newest 18-200 is a power zoom likely targetted at video shooters.

Cheers,
GB

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Bart Hickman
Like?
There's no limit...
In reply to Dirk U, Jan 31, 2013

Dirk U wrote:

Disappointment here too.

The small flange distance only removes constraints--it doesn't add them.  There is no reason you couldn't make a, say, 150-400mm zoom for NEX and the small flange distance makes it easier to make a telescoping design so it's more compact when collapsed to the wide end.

Bart

-- hide signature --
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
Bart Hickman
Like?
In reply to RGBaker, Jan 31, 2013

RGBaker wrote:

Dirk U wrote:

Disappointment here too.

You can mount long lenses on a e-mount using an adapter, so I doubt there is any merit in a '200mm maximum' because of flange depth argument.
The simple truth is the demand for the lens you ask for is likely modest -- I worked in photographic retail for five or six years, and never once sold a lens that exceeded 300mm in length. You're asking for something over 500mm equiv. -- a very small niche, IMHO. A 200mm lens in APS-C represents the high end of any tele that was available in volume for FF.
The 'P' likely stands for 'power', as the newest 18-200 is a power zoom likely targetted at video shooters.

I think the demand isn't as high as it is for, say, the 55-210, but then the lens would be more expensive as well (perhaps $600-800 for a 150-400 would be nice).  Plus you get the usual halo effect (availability of high end product drives demand for lower end product.)

200mm is pretty short for the longest lens--every other APS-C system has pretty good performing 300mm low end zooms available.  Using the A-mount adaptor is a bad solution because you don't have stabilization.  Perhaps Sony should consider putting in-body stabilization in their higher-end NEX bodies.  Either that or update the A-mount tele-lenses to have stabilization.

Sigma sells a 120-400 zoom for Alpha mount with OS, but it's the non-telescoping type so it's very large even when it's not zoomed.

Bart

-- hide signature --
Bart Hickman
Like?
In reply to aap292, Jan 31, 2013

At the rate of 5 lenses per year, I guess there'd *have* to be a long telephoto lens in there somewhere.

Bart

-- hide signature --
Bart Hickman
Like?
In reply to RGBaker, Jan 31, 2013

RGBaker wrote:

Bart Hickman wrote:

zackiedawg wrote:

-- hide signature --

Justin

That's a disappointment if true. 200mm doesn't really count as high magnification IMO.

Bart

-- hide signature --

Well, at 300 equivalent it is hard to think of many zooms that exceed that -- and given that the wide-to-tele range is greater than 11:1 I'd say the lens meets just about any description of 'high magnification'. I hope that someone releases an e-mount tele-extender sometime soon, as my own requirement for extreme tele is only occasional -- a 1.4x extender with any of the e-mount '200' zooms would give me more than enough for that odd time when I needed a lot of reach.

We don't need to have *many zooms*--just one is fine thanks.  The other APS-C systems have such zooms, and they're pretty low cost too.  Adding a teleconverter always hurts image quality and would prevent any of the existing E-mount lenses from supporting PDAF.

Bart

-- hide signature --
RGBaker
Like?
In reply to Bart Hickman, Feb 1, 2013

I don't mean to suggest I wish you anything but joy in your wishes.  I'm simply pointing out it may be a low priority when viewed as a value proposition.  But if your arguments are heard, and interest is high, I may well be wrong.
Cheers,
GB

Pal2012
Regular MemberPosts: 316
Like?

Bart Hickman wrote:

Sigma sells a 120-400 zoom for Alpha mount with OS, but it's the non-telescoping type so it's very large even when it's not zoomed.

Bart

-- hide signature --

Maybe I'm missreading you, but I have that lens and it telescopes as you go from 120 to 400.

Bart Hickman
Like?
In reply to Pal2012, Feb 1, 2013

Pal2012 wrote:

Bart Hickman wrote:

Bart

-- hide signature --

Maybe I'm missreading you, but I have that lens and it telescopes as you go from 120 to 400.

I didn't know that.  It must not telescope very far--looks like it's about 300mm long even at 120mm.

I'm thinking about the m43 300mm zooms which look about half the size, but it should be possible to make a 400mm zoom in APS-C that's only about 33% longer.

Bart

-- hide signature --
Harry Lew
Senior MemberPosts: 1,629
Like?
Re: E-mount lens lineup update
In reply to zackiedawg, Feb 1, 2013

zackiedawg wrote:

Indeed - I left them out only because I haven't seen a 100% 'official' announcement from Sony...but it certainly looks good and those would add some very nice diversity to the prime selection.

-- hide signature --

Justin

Yes, but there has been a 100% official Zeiss announcement. I think it's a lock that these lenses are coming soon. http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/?p=2864

-- hide signature --

Harry Lew
'Buying gear is easy. What's hard is paying for it.'
http://harryjohn.smugmug.com/

rockjon
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?
In reply to ZhanMInG12, Feb 1, 2013

Probably none of them. I think they would be a bit bigger if they could cover FF.

kernel panic
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?
In reply to zackiedawg, Feb 1, 2013

Hi zackiedawg,

in my mirrorless database I have several manual focus lenses, which have a native E mount :

• Yasuhara: Madoka180(E),  Nanhoha 5x
  • SLR Magic: 23mm f1.7, 28mm f2.8, 35mm f1.7, CINE 35mm f1.4, HyperPrime 50mm 0.95
  • Samyang: 8mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC Fisheye, 8mm f/3.5 Fish-eye CS VG10
  • Mitakon: 35mm f/0.95
  • Jackar: Snapshooter 34mm f1.8
  • Digital King: 12mm f/7.4 Fish-eye MC
-- hide signature --

www.mirrorlessdb.com

Dirk U
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Re: There's no limit...

Thanks Bart, for the technical clarification.  A tele-zoom is not what I am after though; I prefer the sharpness and lighter weight of a prime for birding.

And thanks RGBaker, for the real-world clarification.  I accept that shooting little feathered thingeys is a niche market, but is it so obscure?

Cheers

RGBaker
Like?
In reply to Dirk U, Feb 1, 2013

Dirk U wrote:And thanks RGBaker, for the real-world clarification. I accept that shooting little feathered thingeys is a niche market, but is it so obscure?

Cheers

A quick look at my own Flicker stream indicates I've been know to grab shots of our feathered friends too -- so not 'obscure' exactly.  My own experience is that birders will spend what it takes to meet their needs, or at least some of them will.  Expensive lenses, specialized cruises, guides, gear, et cetera.  But in any room with thirty people in it, how many are birders ..?
So I repeat my earlier position: I'd be delighted to see more lenses, of just about any stripe.  At the end of the day, I'm unlikely to spend much on a long tele -- for the occasional use I'd make of it, I'd pass it on it even if it was a bargain.  Be happy for others if it was an option though!

Cheers,
GB

Bart Hickman
Like?
In reply to RGBaker, Feb 1, 2013

I think of a true birding lens as being 400mm at the minimum (actual f/l, not FF equivalent) and this is not my cup of tea either.  And the hard-core birders want F/4 at 400mm.  This is a specialty for sure.

But I think an F/5.6 (or F/6.3) at 400mm has a lot more appeal than just birders.  There are a lot of wildlife and landscape uses for such a lens.

An alternative for Sony would be to make a shorter lens (eg., 300mm zoom), but make it sharp enough to support much higher resolution sensors.  Or at least make sure it's sharp enough in the center (since that's all you'd keep if you're cropping anyway.)  This also adds an extra reason to buy their (presumably 24MP) higher end successor to the NEX-7.

Bart

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads