* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 249 January/30/2013 *

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions
LouHolland
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,324
Like?
* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 249 January/30/2013 *
Jan 30, 2013

*Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 249 January/30/2013*

Welcome to the Wednesday Comments and Critique (No Theme) thread!

We’re continuing the great tradition of this C&C thread because we’re convinced that looking at and talking about images is vital for better photography, and also useful for understanding and appreciating our gear.

The idea is simple: you post an image and get critique on it, and in return give other people your opinion of their images. Or vice versa: you give others your honest feedback, and in return deserve the right to post your own picture for C&C.

Generally, you should post only one single image for C&C. As an exception, you can post two pictures resulting from one shutter release but with different treatment (for example a color and a black & white version, or a different crop) for us to choose from and comment on.

TWO RULES:

1.If you post an image, you critique at least one other image.

2.Keep your comments honest but polite; if you don’t care for an image, try to explain why. This is neither a “Good shot!” nor an image-bashing thread.

Any style, any camera. It is a peer-to-peer photography workshop!

Feedback is guaranteed (for up to 48 hours after the thread has started)! Though keep in mind that the thread tends to be busiest during the first 24 hours or so, so later image posts may get little feedback.

HOW TO PLAY:

1.Turn on "Threaded view" and reply to this post with a web-sized image. Change the title so we can sort different images out easily! 2.Get back to this thread in a minute, an hour or a day or so, and…

3.…still in threaded view, look at one or more pictures of your choice, click reply and critique it.

4.Remember to add the EXIF if your image doesn't embed it as this may help

5.Image posters: please consider telling us what your own opinion on your image is. What prompted you to click that shutter button? What did you see? Why do you like the result? You don't have to explain, but it might be interesting.

6.You are very welcome to post a group reply to the feedback you have gotten. This could include a new version of your image, taking on board the comments received. Please try not to reply individually to every comment so as not to fill up the thread on your own.

IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME, WELCOME! AND BE SURE TO READ THIS:

•The critique you give (point 3 from the above list) is vital. What was your first impression? What catches your eye about an image? Why? What do you like, and what distracts you? What would you change?

•Fiddle with the image in your head - composition, perspective, color balance, exposure. If the poster of the image does not object, you may even consider downloading his image and fiddling with it for real, to illustrate your point.

•More general feedback is also welcome. Do you know something about taking the same sort of image that would make matters easier - share your own as an example in your reply. Encourage - it is a scary business putting your work up for other people to judge!

•Finally what is the verdict? Waste-bin? Snapshot? Could be better? Family Album? Frame on wall? Poster-size frame on wall? Billboard? Reuters? World Press Photo? National Geographic? Museum? (pick your own superlative here)

Here is last (week's) thread: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50720984

One of the first replies is “The Related Post”. This is the place to post your general, not image-specific musings about this great enterprise called the C&C Thread.

Another of the first replies includes a link to all previous threads. This is called "Our Archives Vault".

Best Regards,

Lou

LouHolland
Like?
* The RELATED post *
In reply to LouHolland, Jan 30, 2013

* The RELATED post *

This is a placeholder for anything related to the C&C threads. And we do mean anything: feel free to start a discussion about the threads, or how you felt when your image was trashed by some mean know-it-all (probably not in this thread, though), or how it feels trying to say something polite about a cr@ppy image posted for review (tough one).

This is also the place to make arrangements and share ideas for keeping this thread alive and kicking. Or for starting a new "Photo Essay" or "Series" thread, as has been suggested in the past (plenty of “Weekly” this-and-that threads around, so why not?).

The C&C group will be more than happy to consider all input.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LouHolland
Like?
Le Barage | Zoom fault..

Zoom fault, for some reasons I like it but, you don't have to

Le Barage

Thanks for looking&commenting

Cheers Lou

Nicolas Isaksson
Contributing MemberPosts: 862Gear list
Like?
The gate

Nicolas Isaksson's gear list:Nicolas Isaksson's gear list
Olympus E-600 Pentax Q
CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?
Re: Le Barage | Zoom fault..

Lou I like it.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
JoeNap2
Contributing MemberPosts: 926Gear list
Like?
Herb... No... Not That One

Oregano taking in some sun in the back yard.

E-500 with ZD50 at f2.8.

JoeNap2's gear list:JoeNap2's gear list
Samsung L74 Wide Olympus E-500 Nikon D7000
JoeNap2
Like?
Like it!

I enjoy this type of camera-made abstract. Good colors.

JoeNap2
Like?
Nice Frame Job!
In reply to Nicolas Isaksson, Jan 30, 2013

Good image and exposure. How about getting the left gate vertical more vertical? To me, if you're not going to square up the image you might as well get a little more exaggerated to make more use of the SWA lens optical distortions. Good shooting, Joe

RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,777
Like?

LouHolland wrote:

Zoom fault, for some reasons I like it but, you don't have to

Le Barage

Thanks for looking&commenting

Cheers Lou

I would definitely call that a happy accident.

It has a degree of focus that could very well be absent in a more focused and sharper shot.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Life is Good - Blue Skies (thinking of George)

Today I thought of George.

George was one of the regulars on Olympus Compact Camera Forum (he uses a Sony now, apparently).

I don't know his exact age but I think he is in his eighties or nineties. A World War II aviator who still regularly takes a plane into the air. Lover of Canadian Club (that is his forum nick), with a chaser. Family man with a bunch of kids and grandchildren. Generally a great guy, full of humour.

And he invariably ends his postings with "Life is Good. Blue Skies."

This image I made recently is for him:

Life is Good. Blue Skies. (rokinon 7.5mm on E-M5)

PS.

By the count of my dedicated gallery, this is the 300th image I have put up for C&C.  I was here from the first edition, and there have been some where I submitted a few different images or PP treatments for comparison.

That gallery is here: http://roelh.zenfolio.com/p775804748

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

BigMacIain
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?
In reply to LouHolland, Jan 31, 2013

Very nice. It reminds me of Ernst Haas's work with early Kodachrome.

BigMacIain's gear list:BigMacIain's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +3 more
BigMacIain
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?
Sea and Sky

I posted this elsewhere but thought I'd share it here, for some C&C.

It's a vertical pano; meaning that I shot from bottom to top rather than left to right. I wanted to capture all that I could see in my own field of vision but the wide-angle was making the scene look to distant. So I thought I'd try this approach. The shots were taken with my E-520 and 12-60 at 32mm. What do you think?

BigMacIain's gear list:BigMacIain's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +3 more
Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,538
Like?
Re: Sea and Sky
In reply to BigMacIain, Jan 31, 2013

Very appealing.

A glass brimful of an exotic drink?  An ice core sample from remotest Antarctica?

-- hide signature --

Zin

stephent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,505
Like?
When the lights come on...

Hi everyone, another from our trip to Melbourne, taken just after sunset. The Nex's "toy" mode used in camera to darken the edges, the lights are also warmer.

Regards.

Stephen.

dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Eaton Canyon

Mid-day in a shady canyon. This is a popular swimming pond in the summer. On this cold winter day there were always people here with me. Luckily, while I was shooting they stayed on the rocks behind me in canvas tennis shoes while I moved around from rock to rock over shallow water with good boots on. Eaton Canyon Falls, named after an early, pre-Pasadena settler, Benjamin Eaton. E-5 and 11-22 mm lens with polarizer filter.

Eaton Canyon Falls

-- hide signature --

Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Re: Life is Good - Blue Skies (thinking of George)
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Jan 31, 2013

I remember George Mock well from Olympus Talk Forum when I was shooting a C-8080. He always has good stories about flying in Canada just above Detroit. George was a Dough Boy, and that means something about his task as a WWII serviceman. I'm not sure what that means, if he was a pilot or a paratrooper or something else in the war. He has a charming way with the ladies that always leads to charming photos of the women he meets on his photo outings. There was always a pretty female as a parting shot in any series he posted.

Yes, George was 80+ a few years ago, but he never held our collective lack of experience against us.

-- hide signature --

Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
RoelHendrickx
Like?
Re: Life is Good - Blue Skies (thinking of George)
In reply to dave gaines, Jan 31, 2013

dave gaines wrote:

I remember George Mock well from Olympus Talk Forum when I was shooting a C-8080. He always has good stories about flying in Canada just above Detroit. George was a Dough Boy, and that means something about his task as a WWII serviceman. I'm not sure what that means, if he was a pilot or a paratrooper or something else in the war. He has a charming way with the ladies that always leads to charming photos of the women he meets on his photo outings. There was always a pretty female as a parting shot in any series he posted.

Yes, George was 80+ a few years ago, but he never held our collective lack of experience against us.

No need to talk about him in the past tense.

He is still active, but with Sony (the dirty traitor...)

You may be right about WW-II : I was just assuming we was a pilot because he is always around planes since I got to know him.  But that may have come later.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Re: Sea and Sky
In reply to BigMacIain, Jan 31, 2013

BigMacIain wrote:

I posted this elsewhere but thought I'd share it here, for some C&C.

It's a vertical pano; meaning that I shot from bottom to top rather than left to right. I wanted to capture all that I could see in my own field of vision but the wide-angle was making the scene look to distant. So I thought I'd try this approach. The shots were taken with my E-520 and 12-60 at 32mm. What do you think?

I am a big fan of vertical (portrait) orientation for compressed landscape shooting.

A vertical pano is also a possiblity.

This one is quite minimalist, with a ratio sea/sky that is really flirting with what is still pleasing to the eye.  It does help that there are some nice clouds just above the horizon : they help adding some relative weight to the bottom part, for balance with the bigger top part.  Clouds and sea together form a visual part sufficiently significant to make the image balanced.  Sea alone would not have done that.

The more streaky clouds in the darker sky above, add some texture in what else would be boring blue.  The transition in brightness does the rest.

I really don't see anything wrong here : it is daring in its minimalism and it works very well.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Re: When the lights come on...
In reply to stephent, Jan 31, 2013

stephent wrote:

Hi everyone, another from our trip to Melbourne, taken just after sunset. The Nex's "toy" mode used in camera to darken the edges, the lights are also warmer.

Regards.

Stephen.

Great stuff.

It almost looks like a meticulous painter's box of carefully arranged water colours.

Love it, and I am glad that you pushed everything except the windows into deep dark black.

This image would not have been half as effective if we could see details in the walls.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

stephent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,505
Like?

Hi mate, their is a lot going on in this one. I like the strong colour and all the lead lines heading to the darker areas,   a happy fault and a interesting image.

Regards.

Stephen.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads