Like?
8mm lenscap is the worst lens ever testet at DXOmark
Jan 29, 2013
LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,679Gear list
Like?
Obviously they didn't test the Fujian 35mm
In reply to Ncedra, Jan 29, 2013

Dx0Mark made a very interesting positive conclusion, given that they really really really didn't like the optics.

"Optically weak, but that’s not the point... who knows, you might be pleasantly surprised by the results."

Even so, I was hoping the optics wouldn't be THAT bad. Good thing I decided to pass on this lens. Still, if you don't have a cheap lens in your bag you probably owe it to yourself to get one. They really do make you work differently.

It's still got to be better than a cellphone lens.

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ncedra
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Re: Obviously they didn't test the Fujian 35mm
In reply to LincolnB, Jan 29, 2013

True. They acknowledged that this lens was not built with optical perfection in mind. I already own the SLR 26mm to fill that niche (in terms of optical performance) for me...

LincolnB
Like?
What $50 gets as opposed to $150

For another hundred bucks it's possible to get lenses like the Sigma 19mm 2.8 and 30mm 2.8 and the Oly 40-150. With autofocus and everything!

Then there's Canon STM 40mm 2.8 which, even though it's a pancake, is supposed to be one of the sharpest lenses in all of Canon's lineup. Of course it doesn't work so hot on micro four thirds, but it still demonstrates what's possible with a pancake and not a lot of money. And don't forget the Nifty Fifties, for about $120.

Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
brunobarolo
Contributing MemberPosts: 986
Like?
Looks like it's the best lenscap ever testet at DXOmark :-)

Looks like it's the best lenscap ever testet at DXOmark 

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,468Gear list
Like?
Re: 8mm lenscap is the worst lens ever testet at DXOmark

No wonder.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +5 more
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,738Gear list
Like?
Submarine lens.....
In reply to LincolnB, Jan 29, 2013

LincolnB wrote:

Dx0Mark made a very interesting positive conclusion, given that they really really really didn't like the optics.

"Optically weak, but that’s not the point... who knows, you might be pleasantly surprised by the results."

Even so, I was hoping the optics wouldn't be THAT bad. Good thing I decided to pass on this lens. Still, if you don't have a cheap lens in your bag you probably owe it to yourself to get one. They really do make you work differently.

It's still got to be better than a cellphone lens.

No, not this kind of submarine:

but rather a stealth development "mule" for a medium fast, truley colapsible manual kit lens a la' Leica Elmar.

The helicoid, focusing lever, etc. are all there.  All they need is a barrel housing a triplet 25mm lens that colapses about 10mm and they are done.

I think we will see it sooner rather than later

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +10 more
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,783Gear list
Like?
Re: What $50 gets as opposed to $150
In reply to LincolnB, Jan 30, 2013

LincolnB wrote:

Then there's Canon STM 40mm 2.8 which, even though it's a pancake, is supposed to be one of the sharpest lenses in all of Canon's lineup. Of course it doesn't work so hot on micro four thirds, but it still demonstrates what's possible with a pancake and not a lot of money.

Same could be said for the 20/1.7... and it didn't take a lot of money, at least not until demand and the yen shot through the roof.

I think the price of the 15/8 really makes little sense in lieu of the 14/2.5 however.  Not unless you need the slimmest package of all, or are after that specific "look."

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +23 more
ediblestarfish
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?
Real question is why it costs less than a hood.
In reply to Ncedra, Jan 30, 2013

Seriously, what is up with Olympus? 

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,389
Like?
It's a body cap.

The idea is you can grab a shot if you don't have time to take it off and put on a lens.
I keep a camera in one pocket, no lens, body cap on, and two lenses in two other pockets.  I've lost once-in-a-lifetime shots fiddling about putting on a lens.  Now, I can have the camera ready to grab a (slightly fuzzy) shot in an instant.
Brilliant idea - I shall buy one for each of my cameras.  Next time a mate goes to the US that is, EU price a joke. 
Of course, viewed as a lens it is terrible.  As you'd expect.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/acam http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,237
Like?

Well by gosh, they need to test a pinhole cap to legitimize this ranking.

Cheers,

Rick

sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,789Gear list
Like?
Re: No Holga or Lensbaby tests?

Ncedra wrote:

Wow. Thats sets a new low level record...

Ranked at 2872nd place!!!

Well if they made it any better they would have to charge real money for it, or start charging less for their better lenses

Of course this performance is to be expected. It is a lens cap after all. The photo samples I have seen are actually better than I would have expected. I thought the results would be on par with a plastic-lens Holga. In fact I thought that might be kind of fun.

I'm actually surprised that they tested this lens. Why not test a Holga or Lensbaby then? Expecting better results from a lens cap would be like testing a plastic Lensbaby and dinging it for being soft at the edges.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D70 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,738Gear list
Like?
I wonder how the Pentax Q.....

body cap lens will rate?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/29/Pentax-announces-flash-and-body-cap-lens-reference-designs-at-CP-Plus

Is this the begining of a Zuiko/Takumar lens war?

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +10 more
jcharding
Senior MemberPosts: 2,011Gear list
Like?
Why in earth would they even test it

It's a $50 body cap.

-- hide signature --
 jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +10 more
hinting
Contributing MemberPosts: 744Gear list
Like?

It was free for my purchase of OMD in Australia, and I am considering it as a very good body cap that also take photos with my camera, so it is very good.

I don't think I would have brought it if it wasn't free.  It takes ok photos even at difficult lighting condition with F8.

See my first photo with it:

https://plus.google.com/115255826572441766446/posts/RwRoikPMfCQ

hinting's gear list:hinting's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M1 +49 more
Marla
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,793Gear list
Like?
Re: Excellent !!! :-)
In reply to brunobarolo, Jan 30, 2013

brunobarolo wrote:

Looks like it's the best lenscap ever testet at DXOmark

Good thinking!

-- hide signature --

Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
LincolnB
Like?
For the entertainment
In reply to jcharding, Jan 30, 2013

Probably the most entertaining lens review they've had in a while.

reygon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003
Like?
+ 1 (it's not prime, it's not zoom :) ) (nt)
In reply to brunobarolo, Jan 30, 2013
-- hide signature --

reygon
----------------------------------------------------------------
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
Re: + 1 (it's not prime, it's not zoom :) ) (nt)
In reply to reygon, Jan 30, 2013

It's still capable of shooting perfectly nice photos. Ming Thein has a great review of it. It is what it is.  It's $49.  Either you get/enjoy it, or you don't.

reygon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003
Like?
Re: + 1 (it's not prime, it's not zoom :) ) (nt)
In reply to BingoCharlie, Jan 30, 2013

BingoCharlie wrote:

It's still capable of shooting perfectly nice photos. Ming Thein has a great review of it. It is what it is. It's $49. Either you get/enjoy it, or you don't.

Very Nice Charlie. They missed the real world test

I'm waiting for my free lens cap from Olympus after buying the OMD last month

-- hide signature --

reygon
----------------------------------------------------------------
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads