Not a Nikon Buff

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions
Terrier989
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
Not a Nikon Buff
Jan 29, 2013

Hi all,

I have never owned a Nikon but may do soon (P7700), have read most of the threads here, so some comment/questions .

1) P7000 launched  aug 2010, P7100 Aug 2011, P7700 aug 2012 - can we expect P7800 aug 2013?.

2)What happened to P7200, 200 ,400, 500, 600? did they explain the break in sequencing.

Would hate to get caught like folks who buy Ipad, Iphone with new models dropping out of the ether and no upgrades possible to current model.

I would hope next model has bigger ccd (as was explained to me this will increase aperture min from F8 to f11/16/32 who knows) , and faster processor for focus, data transfer etc.

So decision is whether to wait and hope or jump in soon.

t989

Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon Coolpix P7700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tomjar
Regular MemberPosts: 468
Like?
Re: Not a Nikon Buff
In reply to Terrier989, Jan 29, 2013

Terrier989 wrote:

Hi all,

I have never owned a Nikon but may do soon (P7700), have read most of the threads here, so some comment/questions .

1) P7000 launched aug 2010, P7100 Aug 2011, P7700 aug 2012 - can we expect P7800 aug 2013?.

2)What happened to P7200, 200 ,400, 500, 600? did they explain the break in sequencing.

Would hate to get caught like folks who buy Ipad, Iphone with new models dropping out of the ether and no upgrades possible to current model.

I would hope next model has bigger ccd (as was explained to me this will increase aperture min from F8 to f11/16/32 who knows) , and faster processor for focus, data transfer etc.

t989

1) Quite likely, yes.

2) Naming schemes are funny sometimes, don't let it bother you.

To wait or not to wait for the next version of P7xxx: there will always be a newer camera just around the corner. But P7700 is quite new now, it has only been available for 3 or 4 months now. Why wait for the next version? Nobody knows what Nikon will take away from the next incarnation. My wild guess is they will go back to a fixed screen and reintroduce some kind of optical viewfinder, make the camera faster but keep the 1/1.7 sensor. But your guess would be just as good as mine (or anybody else's). Heck, they may even cut the P7xxx series. All manufacturers are playing these games - they add a couple of features with one hand and take away one or two with the other one - to keep us consumers always wanting something more. I mean, just look at what Canon has been doing to its G series through the years.

So my recommendation would be: find a camera that suits your needs NOW (you will never find a perfect camera anyway) and just get it - so that you can start taking pictures today.

Good luck and happy shooting!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,094
Like?
In reply to Terrier989, Jan 30, 2013

Terrier989 wrote:

Hi all,

1) P7000 launched aug 2010, P7100 Aug 2011, P7700 aug 2012 - can we expect P7800 aug 2013?.

t989

Just wait.  And wait.  And wait.  "Now" is never a good time to make a move, always wait.  And wait.  And wait.

Mike604
Regular MemberPosts: 126
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, Jan 31, 2013

Could it have something to do with unlucky #'s?

Similar to G12 skipped to G15.

tron555
Senior MemberPosts: 1,083Gear list
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, Jan 31, 2013

That is why you have toomanycanons, and probably other cameras too. Most rational people would rather wait until something comes out with fewer compromises than they are willing to put up with, like the P7700. If the P7800 comes out with:

1. Twice as fast AF speed, or faster.
  2. Twice as fast write times, or faster.
  3. And hopefully a slightly larger sensor with a better low light capability, at least 1-1.5 stops
  4. And hopefully put a better OVF or even an EVF on it, that would be nice

…. I’m sure many other people will be very glad they waited to get something actually worth upgrading to. Not everyone purchases the next version camera because they can ‘OR’ because they think it will make their pictures come out better.

photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,784
Like?
Jump. JUMP!
In reply to Terrier989, Jan 31, 2013

Terrier989 wrote:

Hi all,

Why not? New models are usually released at similar intervals for their camera type. Entry level DSLRs for example usually see new models every year. More advanced models often are replaced every two years. The most expensive "pro" models are replaced with completely new models every four years or so, but sometimes have slightly improved new versions slipped in after two years, retaining most of the model designation. Examples are the D300 -> D300s and the D3 - D3s.

No explanation has been given. No explanation has been given for why the D90 and D300 DX DSLRs weren't replaced by a D100 (oh, that's an old model from ancient times) or a D400. Instead, Nikon started selling a D7000, and the D50, D40, D60 models were retired by the D3000 and D5000.

Don't expect much in the way of upgrades to the current models, other than firmware upgrades that usually provide bug fixes. The P7000 had serious autofocus problems which were fixed with the P7100. After the P7100 had been introduced, Nikon supplied a firmware update for the P7000 that greatly improved its autofocusing, but also made the P7000 incompatible with non-Nikon batteries.

If it has a larger sensor (and it should be CMOS, not CCD) then either the lens will be much larger or the maximum aperture will be smaller or the focal length range will be smaller, so don't count on the next model having a larger sensor while resembling the P7700. A faster processor is very possible, but the smallest aperture will remain about the same. You wouldn't want to use f/11, f/16 or f/32 when the sensor is smaller than a DSLR's sensor, because image quality will be seriously degraded. If you want to understand why, google "diffraction blurring".

If you currently have a decent camera that produces photos that you're very satisfied with, it makes sense to wait. On the other hand, if the P7700 is significantly better than your current non-Nikon camera, you'd probably be better off getting a P7700 now. What camera are you currently using?

Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,996Gear list
Like?
In reply to tron555, Jan 31, 2013

P7900. You have not been following the thread.

Choosing a camera from those that exist is difficult enough. Including the infinite set of those that do not yet exist, in the form in which they might exist, it becomes well nigh impossible.

tron555 wrote:

That is why you have toomanycanons, and probably other cameras too. Most rational people would rather wait until something comes out with fewer compromises than they are willing to put up with, like the P7700. If the P7800 comes out with:

1. Twice as fast AF speed, or faster.
  2. Twice as fast write times, or faster.
  3. And hopefully a slightly larger sensor with a better low light capability, at least 1-1.5 stops
  4. And hopefully put a better OVF or even an EVF on it, that would be nice

…. I’m sure many other people will be very glad they waited to get something actually worth upgrading to. Not everyone purchases the next version camera because they can ‘OR’ because they think it will make their pictures come out better.

Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 +6 more
Terrier989
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
Re: Jump. JUMP!
In reply to photoreddi, Jan 31, 2013

Used to have a pair of minolta 9000i with virtually every lens macro to 600mm fixed and zooms.

AS soon as minolta  launched the 5m D7 I bought one, used it for a long time (sold most of old gear to buy an epson a3 printer).

Stuck with D7 until they brought out an SLR that I liked which by then was the Sony A100, have various lens with that but am not up to lugging it all about and hanging onto the dog.

So am going to go to a good compact, my spec was around 15mp, 15x optical zoom and raw ( 1st two can be +/- whatever) raw an absolute must, have basically settled on the P7700, but could wait for P7xxx.

terrier989

tron555
Senior MemberPosts: 1,083Gear list
Like?
Re: Jump only when the time is right!
In reply to Terrier989, Feb 1, 2013

terrier989… Good idea to wait and see what the next P7xxx comes with, why get the P7700 when it is not what you want or has too many compromises for you at this time. Why get something now just to find out the next version has much less compromises than you are prepared to put up with! Hopefully the P7xxx will address ALL the issuesthe current version has, it may be a worthwhile upgrade, only time will tell. If it does, I might even considering upgrading to it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads