Anyone considered a move to mirrorless only?

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions
DRode
Senior MemberPosts: 2,815
Like?
Anyone considered a move to mirrorless only?
Jan 29, 2013

I don't want to start a flame war but I am interested if others are considering moving entirely to mirrorless. I'd initially thought about a mirrorless body as something I'd take along for more casual shooting when I didn't want the bulk of my D300s. I'd been considering a move to either a D600 or possibly the next iteration of the D7k. I'm not going to be shooting sports anymore, so the D400, if one is ever produced, doesn't make as much sense to me. For the same reason, I don't really have much need for longer lenses. I don't shoot wildlife or BIF stuff.

Then I began looking at some of the mirrorless bodies and the associated lenses. The reviews and sample images from the Fuji X-E1 made it pretty clear that if I bought one, the D300s would sit on a shelf ignored. The IQ is IMO, a step better in low light performance and overall IQ. This is subjective but it I'm judge and jury, so it's all good The 18-55 OIS is excellent and the 35 f/1.4 is the perfect companion for even lower light and/or shallow DoF. I could easily spend a day hiking with just the 35mm lens. Best of all, I'd be likely to take it with me.

The D300s, 24-70, 70-200, etc are all excellent performers but it all sits at home more and more often. They're large and bulky and just don't want to drag it all with me anymore.

My lifestyle and needs have changed but I still want excellent IQ solid controls. I'm seriously considering selling all my Nikon gear and getting, Fuji and spending the leftover on a trip.

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D300S Nikon D40 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,564
Like?
Re: Anyone considered a move to mirrorless only?
In reply to DRode, Jan 29, 2013

DRode wrote:

My lifestyle and needs have changed but I still want excellent IQ solid controls. I'm seriously considering selling all my Nikon gear and getting, Fuji and spending the leftover on a trip.

Sounds perfect to me. Sell sooner rather than later while there is a second hand market for chunking great dslrs.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

UK wedding photographer in the Lake District
http://www.johnleech-weddingphotography.co.uk
For my landscapes and fine art photography:
http://www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ray Ritchie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,749
Like?

Yes, I did look pretty hard at the Fuji X-Pro1 before I ended up buying my D800. I still have the D300, by the way. I'm sure there will still be times when I lust for the smaller size and weight of something like the X-Pro1 or the XE-1, but I became concerned about lack of choice in lenses, and issues like focussing speed and shutter and viewfinder lag. For now, I'm very happy with my choice, especially from the point of view of low-light shooting.

Still think the Fuji cameras are promising - I may look at them again in the next generation.

-- hide signature --
Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,657
Like?

I am in the same boat, albit with a D2x. I have been waiting for a D400 for sometime now, primarily to get better low light performance (i.e. better than ISO 400 on my D2x). It seems that Nikon's solution is for me to buy either a D600 or D800 which in itself wouldnt break my check book, but then I would need to invest in  14-24 and 24-70 f2.8 zooms to keep the same capablility as I now have with my D2x and current DX zooms in that equivalent range. All of sudden I am looking at something like $7000 to make the jump to FX, and I am still hauling around a whole bunch of weight.

About 1 1/2 years ago I bought an X100 to provide some low light capability. Even though it is a fixed 35mm equivalent lens, I find that I am using it more and more these days. I am giving Nikon until this fall to come up with a D400, if they dont then I will be looking at buying an XE-1, and three zoom setup, which will be less costly than a D800. Oh, something to look out for is that the new X100s has a lot of niffty new features that solve a lot of quirk complaints, that would be an easy running change to put into both the X-Pro1 or X-E1 i.e. "s" versions as well.

The other thought rattling around my feeble old brain is that since both Canon and Nikon are holding off on a pro level DX body that they might be working on an all singing and dancing pro mirrorless camera that uses say a 24 mpx DX sensor that has a 51 point PDAF sensor array built into the main sensor with a standard F lens mount... hey, if I am going to dream, why not go big? eh?

-- hide signature --

Conrad --------------------------------------------------- Show Low, Arizona

Jim N'AZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,189
Like?

Ray, I shoot a D300 and an A mount and a Canon system. I also came to a point of decision making when I realized that it was slyly creeping in that I was leaving the cameras behind more and more. Soooo, I decided it was time to look around for an addition or even an alternative system. m4/3 came up immediately, but I wanted to just dip my toes in first (read: inexpensively) and when I found someone on the dpr buy/sell list that had a nice leather covered GF-1 with lenses that he wanted to trade for any dslr, I traded my wife's Nikon 40D.

The GF-1 immediately brought me back to my earlier days with my Minolta A1/A2 cameras. It is just as jewel-like in its design and operation as those Ax cameras were (in their time).  I am impressed with its incredible adjustment range and when I found the electronic eye-level finder (Hate holding a camera out at arms length) for just $50 on Craigslist locally, I was off and running with the GF-1. This was a couple of years ago and the running has since slowed down a bit for me and the GF-1. Not that it has not lived up to what I wanted in a smaller form factor, but I find I am not going to it as much as I used to. I envisioned using it as my "in-car" and take along camera of choice due to its speed of operation and size. I did so for a few months, but ended up with a P&S back in the glove box instead. The P&S has much deeper dof and when shooting in quick situations and from the car, that dof is much appreciated. I use an older P&S, the Canon A650IS and use CHDSK on it and shoot raw files. The swivel/tilt screen has me spoiled too! It has image stabilization (the GF-1 does not) and a 35-210 lens. It does all I want and more when using it as my in-car/tag-along camera. The file noise is not as good the GF-1 and it is slower than the GF-1 too, but it is just right for my carry along usage.

Finally, the only nitpick I have with the GF-1 is the shutter noise. Yep, I am pretty deaf and yet the focal plane shutter is still too loud even tho there is no mirror flopping about. The GF-1 is certain to become one of those admired and talked about cult cameras and I can see why, but I just am having trouble getting past that dratted cheap sounding shutter "clack". Pretty small reason to let the luster fade on an otherwise great and jewel-like camera, but there it sits just waiting to be picked up and used. Lately, I have been thinking maybe I'll make it a week with the GF-1 only, and see if I can settle back into its svelte way of shooting. Maybe that's all it will take, eh?

Regards, Jim

thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,390Gear list
Like?

No only as a complement tried the Panasonic and Nex which were good cameras quality of the 5N is excellent and marred by the poor battery performance.

Its reminds me of the D200 battery performance.

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 +44 more
capanikon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,726Gear list
Like?

Mr. Gadget had good points.

I'd consider it in the future. Right now, mirrorless doesn't offer what I want. Mirrorless is the future, however.

The Fuji X-Pro1 and X100s are fantastic. Love it.

I shoot sports often. Currently mirrorless doesn't have fast enough AF, with the exception of the Nikon 1, which I don't want for other reasons.

What I'd need is an APS-C mirrorless body with ILC and with phase-detect AF on the sensor like on Nikon 1.

Also, pro controls. The Nikon 1 controls are too noobish.

-- hide signature --

Join #photogeeks on IRC at irc.freenode.net for live photo chat!

--
Join #photogeeks on IRC at irc.freenode.net for live photo chat!

Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,200Gear list
Like?

You'd probably get a better response, better information, in the forum dedicated to the camera(s) that you desire, Dan.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or trash your thread. The folks that are still here, are probably here because nothing else gives them what they want.  The folks that have found a mirrorless replacement for their dslrs have moved on to the forum that talks about their new camera.  I'd think that would be your best place for solid information rather than just speculation.

For example, I've considered the move, but found out it wouldn't work for me. For a small camera, I'd rather have a d5100 or a true pocket camera. That probably doesn't help you at all.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
Novens2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,664
Like?

Would consider it if it weren't for my lens and flashes I think both fuji and Olympus have some super offerings Thom has a review on the em5 which is quite favorable.

maljo@inreach.com
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,564
Like?
Considered, rejected
In reply to DRode, Jan 30, 2013

I bought the Olympus OMD EM5, a terrific camera, which I greatly enjoy using.

But, it doesn't replace the DSLR for landscape resolution or moving targets (sports and wildlife) and the DSLR really operates fast when we need it to.  I can adjust a D800 without removing my eye from the viewfinder, and the viewfinder always works.

The EM5 is a bit slower to operate, the EVF takes a second to come on, the battery life is much lower, the controls require menus.

The EM5 is very small and light and the lenses are terrific and inexpensive and, most important... it focuses very accurately.  I have had trouble with accurate and reproducible autofocus with Nikon bodies:  D3, D3X, D800/D800E.  I hope Nikon gets on this issue.  I know some pros are changing to the Canon 1DX because of focus issues.

So:  choose the system for the job at hand.

I love the EM5 but I'm not abandoning the D800 twins.

maljo

EM5:

ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,954
Like?

No and not waiting for the D-400 either. I see no advantage of either over what I can do with my 300.(2)

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

Zalan
Contributing MemberPosts: 860Gear list
Like?
I do actually...

I'm in the same shoes, I love my D300, but missing lenses plus size and weight are my issues with it. I personally do not care about a D400 as I have no intention to upgrade the body, the D300 has everyting I need. However if I would have a smaller quality camera, I would use it more often and this is very tempting. Last year I even put up some ads in local forums and I was very close to sell the Nikon. The buyer stepped back at the last minute, so I still have everything and I'm still in doubts. For me the problem is that I cannot afford both and I can only buy the Fuji if I sell what I have. Having no experience with mirorrless, I'm a bit hesitant. If I make the move, I will have no money to come back if I want to. Also my son is only 9 months old and he keeps me busy, I will consider it more seriously as my kid will be a bit bigger and I will have more free time again.

-- hide signature --

Zalan Szabo www.szabozalan.hu

Zalan's gear list:Zalan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P5000 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,725
Like?

I own a D300 and Sony NEX-7. The NEX delivers great IQ and is a nice compliment to my SLR but I don't see me ditching the SLR as the NEX wouldn't perform as well in a professional gig. Auto focus is more reliable on a SLR, as well as focal length reach. Speedlights, accessories, etc are more abundant for the SLR.

If you don't do gigs and shoot for a hobby, mirrorless offers great features in a more compact body.

NEX-7: http://www.dezsantana.com/nex

-- hide signature --
DRode
Like?
In reply to Kerry Pierce, Jan 30, 2013

I understand your point but it's the opinions of Nikon Pro Dx shooters I'm really interested in. They understand the quality, features  and handling I'm accustomed to and therefore might have some input into the joys and pitfalls I might expect if I move to a mirrorless body.

Some of the responses I've received, especially the private ones, have been from folks who made the move for similar reasons. That information is really useful to me.

Kerry Pierce wrote:

You'd probably get a better response, better information, in the forum dedicated to the camera(s) that you desire, Dan.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or trash your thread. The folks that are still here, are probably here because nothing else gives them what they want. The folks that have found a mirrorless replacement for their dslrs have moved on to the forum that talks about their new camera. I'd think that would be your best place for solid information rather than just speculation.

For example, I've considered the move, but found out it wouldn't work for me. For a small camera, I'd rather have a d5100 or a true pocket camera. That probably doesn't help you at all.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --
DRode
Like?
In reply to DezM, Jan 30, 2013

Dez, that's a great point. In addition to sports, I've run a small portrait business. These were semi-pro endeavors at best, earning me some money but not a profit. By and large, I won't be doing either any more. Speedlights are of some concern. I know how to get a lot of mileage  from bounce flash, Auto-FP fill flash and CLS off camera depending on the situation.

-- hide signature --
trac63
Contributing MemberPosts: 528
Like?
In reply to DezM, Jan 30, 2013

DezM wrote:

I own a D300 and Sony NEX-7. The NEX delivers great IQ and is a nice compliment to my SLR but I don't see me ditching the SLR as the NEX wouldn't perform as well in a professional gig. Auto focus is more reliable on a SLR, as well as focal length reach. Speedlights, accessories, etc are more abundant for the SLR.

If you don't do gigs and shoot for a hobby, mirrorless offers great features in a more compact body.

NEX-7: http://www.dezsantana.com/nex

-- hide signature --

Totally agree.

I love my Samsung NX210, but if I photographed for a living none of the mirrorless cameras would be my first choice. In fact I would choose an entry-level DSLR like the D3100 over any mirrorless.

But that's just me.

Peter Brogden
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
Re: I do actually...
In reply to Zalan, Jan 30, 2013

Zalan wrote:

I'm in the same shoes, I love my D300, but missing lenses plus size and weight are my issues with it. I personally do not care about a D400 as I have no intention to upgrade the body, the D300 has everyting I need. However if I would have a smaller quality camera, I would use it more often and this is very tempting. Last year I even put up some ads in local forums and I was very close to sell the Nikon. The buyer stepped back at the last minute, so I still have everything and I'm still in doubts. For me the problem is that I cannot afford both and I can only buy the Fuji if I sell what I have. Having no experience with mirorrless, I'm a bit hesitant. If I make the move, I will have no money to come back if I want to. Also my son is only 9 months old and he keeps me busy, I will consider it more seriously as my kid will be a bit bigger and I will have more free time again.

-- hide signature --

Zalan Szabo www.szabozalan.hu

If your budget is for one system, then a DX DSLR is the most versatile and cost effective solution in my opinion.
I've built a very nice micro 4/3 system, while waiting for a D300 replacement. I love the lightness of kit and quality of image. But - mirroless cannot track moving subjects, which makes it useless for sports, kids, pets etc. So my advice is - stick with the D300, it's a great camera.

Of course when Nikon get round to building a suitable replacement for my D300, I might stop spending my money elsewhere and return to the fold so to speak.

Peter

Kerry Pierce
Like?

DRode wrote:

Some of the responses I've received, especially the private ones, have been from folks who made the move for similar reasons. That information is really useful to me.

Well, I'm glad that you're getting the info that you want.  I'm disappointed that your best responses are private.  Given that the thread is public, any relevant response would help anyone interested in the subject. Responding privately is rather rude, IMO.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

DRode
Like?
In reply to Kerry Pierce, Jan 30, 2013

Their intention is not to be rude but to stay out of contentious debate or flame wars.

-- hide signature --
Kerry Pierce
Like?

DRode wrote:

Their intention is not to be rude but to stay out of contentious debate or flame wars.

I don't understand that position. It takes 2 or more participants to have a contentious debate or flame war.  Nobody is required to participate in either of those type threads. Indeed, with the advent of the Ignore feature, you don't even have to look at, let alone read, posts from the idiots that annoy you. I use the Ignore feature liberally and it has made my DPR experience much more pleasant.

Regardless as to why the person or persons chose to reply privately, it doesn't alter the fact that their information isn't available to all of the other members of the forum, which isn't the purpose of having a public forum.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads