Some D600 + 24-70 f2.8 pictures. Is that IQ expected?

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions
wint
Regular MemberPosts: 283Gear list
Like?
Some D600 + 24-70 f2.8 pictures. Is that IQ expected?
Jan 29, 2013

And now, I'm posting here some of pitcures taken in the weekend.

What you guys think about the IQ produced from my combo? That are the IQ to expect or lacking something?

No post production here. From RAW 14bits to jpg 100% in LR4.

wint's gear list:wint's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +4 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MarceloLI
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,809Gear list
Like?
Re: Some D600 + 24-70 f2.8 pictures. Is that IQ expected?
In reply to wint, Jan 29, 2013

The pictures looks really bad, over exposed but it is not the camera or lens fault, it is your fault.

Why you are using ISO 800, 2200 and 6400 in a sunny day??

Check your settings and learn how to use the camera.

MarceloLI's gear list:MarceloLI's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wint
Like?
In reply to MarceloLI, Jan 29, 2013

MarceloLI wrote:

The pictures looks really bad, over exposed but it is not the camera or lens fault, it is your fault.

Why you are using ISO 800, 2200 and 6400 in a sunny day??

Check your settings and learn how to use the camera.

My goal was not the right settings. I was shooting handheld randomly to test the IQ from the combo.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +4 more
Peter Damroth
Contributing MemberPosts: 527Gear list
Like?
In reply to MarceloLI, Jan 29, 2013

Wint, these shots aren't bad they seem a bit over exposed (yes, set asa lower) consider setting camera to 'Standard or vivid' . The camera has a long scale and it can look low in contrast on some scenes. Also start with no Active D-lighting on low contrast days, and use ADL on contrasty days. I hope this helps you.

-- hide signature --

Peter Damroth Photography

Peter Damroth's gear list:Peter Damroth's gear list
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n Nikon D300 +2 more
Roland Schulz
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?
You could do better with a Sony RX100...

Sorry, but MarceloLi is right, pictures look really bad and I´m also sure it´s all user error.

Could have done the shots one or two stop slower from ISO. Do not know why you also set exp. comp. to +, not zero or -.

Roland Schulz's gear list:Roland Schulz's gear list
Sony RX100 II
gl2k
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,232
Like?

wint wrote:

And now, I'm posting here some of pitcures taken in the weekend.

What you guys think about the IQ produced from my combo? That are the IQ to expect or lacking something?

Why are you asking others if those images are of decent quality ?

What I mean ... are they good enough for you or not ? Can't you decide this on your own ?

wint
Like?
Re: You could do better with a Sony RX100...
In reply to Roland Schulz, Jan 29, 2013

Sorry, but MarceloLi is right, pictures look really bad and I´m also sure it´s all user error.

Could have done the shots one or two stop slower from ISO. Do not know why you also set exp. comp. to +, not zero or -.

About the exposure compensation I didn't noticed is was up. Again my concern is not about the exposure is about the result from the lenses in any settings.

wint
Like?
In reply to gl2k, Jan 29, 2013

wint wrote:

What you guys think about the IQ produced from my combo? That are the IQ to expect or lacking something?

What I mean ... are they good enough for you or not ? Can't you decide this on your own ?

I'm testing the lenses. See my previous reply.

JacquesC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,374
Like?

wint wrote:

The shots appears to be as sharp as you can expect considering the settings you used.

If you want to evaluate your lenses then you should pick subjects and conditions that allow you to shoot at base ISO with varying apertures and focal lengths. Just shooting away without paying attention to your settings will not tell you anything, it will in fact only muddle things up.

Unless something is really broken you should get good results with the combo you're using, you have some of the best body/lens combinations in your hand - learn to use it well.

-- hide signature --

Jacques
Apple & Eve website and blog : apple-and-eve.com

heulwen
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?

About the exposure compensation I didn't noticed is was up. Again my concern is not about the exposure is about the result from the lenses in any settings.

I'm confused. How can you expect to get good results from your lenses if your settings are all over the place?
It's not like good glass is going to cover up or make up for the things you dialed your camera to do.
An overexposed/washed out picture will be overexposed/washed out no matter which lens you have on the camera.

heulwen's gear list:heulwen's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
ormdig
Contributing MemberPosts: 562Gear list
Like?

How can you "test" the lens using these ridiculous settings? It's as if you are purposely setting the combo up to fail. I highly suspect your motives here. If you were trying to test the lens/camera combo you would set the exposure to optimal settings, not as you say, pay no attention to them. It's a testament to the camera that the images look as good as they do despite your obvious attempt to sabotage them. If you are truthfully interested in the quality of your equipment then use it in a manner that allows it to produce quality images.

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,086Gear list
Like?
Wint

I will try to be helpful, but if you were "testing" the lens this is not a good way to do it. You have exposure compensation at 1/3 stop +, you are using a high ISO, and I see camera movement in the 1st picture. You have a great camera and a great lens but your post is puzzling. All of these facts hint that there might be others.

To answer your question:

1-Yes, this is a great combination

2- Your image quality is lacking - but not because of the camera or lens

Read a little more. Then practice. Repeat. You seem to have a good eye, but your basics need a little polishing. Keep working at it. You will get there.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
Peter Damroth
Like?
In reply to Roland Schulz, Jan 29, 2013

Roland Schulz wrote:

ENCOURAGE People, don't put them down.

-- hide signature --

amazona
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?

Is it provocation?

To be honest, You should give your equipment to someone, who know how to take photos. Let buy yourself a 20$ camera, and start a photo education from the beginning.

You can't test enything, because you can't use your photo equipment.

Regards.

Roland Schulz
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?
Sorry, but this was once a PRO forum
In reply to Peter Damroth, Jan 29, 2013

Peter Damroth wrote:

Roland Schulz wrote:

ENCOURAGE People, don't put them down.

-- hide signature --

Roland Schulz's gear list:Roland Schulz's gear list
Sony RX100 II
rssarma
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,400Gear list
Like?
What, exactly, are you testing your lenses for?

wint wrote:

wint wrote:

Sharpness, DoF, CA, AF, decentering, vignetting....??

-- hide signature --
 rssarma's gear list:rssarma's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +5 more
Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 734
Like?

you seem to expect professional results because you have professional equipment.

there's something missing, however.

i can count the whiskers on the man's face in the last photo. there's no problem with "sharpness" taken completely out of the context of the overall photo.

without "putting it all together," however, the final product can only be seen for what it is: a carelessly made snapshot that fails to satisfy on a number of levels.

the deficiency seen here is not one that can be rectified by purchasing an equally expensive camera from another manufacturer. if it were that simple, everyone would be a pro.

the deficit is behind the camera. it may seem undiplomatic to say so, but it is best to simply put it out there, and you can respond as seems best to you.

it will take hard work, and not just desire, to achieve the results you seek.

wint
Like?
In reply to Hugo First, Jan 29, 2013

1) I'm not a PRO. I'm a beginner learning to be a PRO.

2) I know the photos looks bad. I had no good settings and they were not processed. My only goal was to check if even trying something randomly the results were going to be as expected for a normal functioning camera and lenses. Nothing beyond that.

I didn't know people would require very good looking photos to give they feedback about a overall result I was looking for.

3) I got also good photos in my life.

Looks here please:

500px.com/mrka

John Motts
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,993
Like?
In reply to amazona, Jan 29, 2013

amazona wrote:

To be honest, You should give your equipment to someone, who know how to take photos. Let buy yourself a 20$ camera, and start a photo education from the beginning.

I can't believe the bloody rudeness on this thread.

A guy comes along asking for a bit of advice and a pack of amateur know-it-alls just rip him apart because it makes them feel big and important.

To the OP - yes you have some way to go, but at at least you asked for some advice. It takes time to learn, but stick at it. These pictures are nowhere near as bad as made out on this thread.

Peter Damroth
Like?
In reply to John Motts, Jan 29, 2013

John Motts wrote:

amazona wrote:

I can't believe the bloody rudeness on this thread.

A guy comes along asking for a bit of advice and a pack of amateur know-it-alls just rip him apart because it makes them feel big and important.

To the OP - yes you have some way to go, but at at least you asked for some advice. It takes time to learn, but stick at it. These pictures are nowhere near as bad as made out on this thread.

DITTO!

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads