Bought Nikon d600 yesterday

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions
zigge
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?
Bought Nikon d600 yesterday
Jan 29, 2013

Turning it in tomorrow for sensor cleaning, i had really high hopes that waiting this long to buy it would prevent the problem but after just 100 or so shots i noticed spots already at f5.6. I asked the salesguy before i bought it and he said, "no no this is and old issue, your camera is a new one and that sensor problem is way back". Oh well i guess not :). Anyway im really impressed with the camera though did a iso test through the whole range and was blown away, now i just hope this issue won't bug me so much after the cleaning.

zigge's gear list:zigge's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
xtranch
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?
Re: Bought Nikon d600 yesterday
In reply to zigge, Jan 29, 2013

dont buy a used car from that salesman!

xtranch's gear list:xtranch's gear list
Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/21 ZM Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MarceloLI
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,851Gear list
Like?

I don't think is oil, I bet is only dust, use a dust blower and it will be fine but later for sure you will have oil on the sensor.

My D600 shutter count is 1400 and I have just 4 or 5 small drops of oil on it.

Check the shutter count just in case they are selling you a used or returned camera.

Marcelo

MarceloLI's gear list:MarceloLI's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +19 more
zigge
Like?
In reply to MarceloLI, Jan 29, 2013

I wonder if there is anyone that doesnt have the dust issue? havent heard from anyone yet.

Nikon D600 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
Boushh_TFA
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?

Bought my D600 last wednesday. Has been awefull weather since then except for one single morning when I made:

Probaly not even picture number 100, but didn't see any dust either (or maybe I'm just not looking good enough ?).

Does that answer your question :)

zigge
Like?
In reply to Boushh_TFA, Jan 29, 2013

Hey Boushh_TFA, im sorry but i took your picture through photoshop and then Nik hdr to bring out the structure and found some spots here and there, so looks like you got a winner as well lol. I promise i didnt mess with it, ive highlighted the spots here so you can see for your self. I guess all d600 have this issue. Nice picture though, i hope a fix is coming soon.

Yves P.
Forum ProPosts: 18,623
Like?

zigge wrote:

I wonder if there is anyone that doesnt have the dust issue? havent heard from anyone yet.

2 D600's ...  no oil on neither ...

Some normal dust.

-- hide signature --

Yves P. Photographe Share the Knowledge NPS Member PBASE Supporter Some pictures I like: http://www.pbase.com/yp8/

Boushh_TFA
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?

Thanks, at least there are only six spots

I'll give it a quick blow and hopefully that will be the end of it !!

zigge
Like?
In reply to Yves P., Jan 29, 2013

Yves P. wrote:

zigge wrote:

2 D600's ... no oil on neither ...

Some normal dust.

-- hide signature --

Yves P. Photographe Share the Knowledge NPS Member PBASE Supporter Some pictures I like: http://www.pbase.com/yp8/

How long have u had em for? can i try see one of your NEF files?  thanks for the info.

Yves P.
Forum ProPosts: 18,623
Like?

zigge wrote:

Yves P. wrote:

zigge wrote:

Some normal dust.

-- hide signature --

How long have u had em for? can i try see one of your NEF files? thanks for the info.

One in september, one early in January and no, I have no files to share, you will have to take my word for it.

-- hide signature --

zigge
Like?
In reply to Yves P., Jan 29, 2013

Yves P. wrote:

zigge wrote:

Yves P. wrote:

zigge wrote:

Some normal dust.

-- hide signature --

How long have u had em for? can i try see one of your NEF files? thanks for the info.

One in september, one early in January and no, I have no files to share, you will have to take my word for it.

-- hide signature --

Allright, atleast it's nice to know there are versions out there who doesnt suffer from the issue.

disneyfong
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?

Seems the oil and dust issue never end.

but i still have confidence and i will get it next week.

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,557Gear list
Like?

zigge wrote:

I do not. Very clean - still.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
malabito
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133Gear list
Like?
In reply to disneyfong, Jan 29, 2013

disneyfong wrote:

Seems the oil and dust issue never end.

but i still have confidence and i will get it next week.

Good luck with that, i was about to buy one and decided not to. I just spoke with a BH sales person, and his reply was:

We cant really give an answer to that without a Nikon announcement.

Which to me traduces into: yes we know, problem is huge, but if we say something will get into issues with Nikon....

I live in Brazil so returning the camera is definitely not an option if i decide to risk it.

-- hide signature --

Nikon 20mm 2.8, nikon 28mm 2.8 manual focus, Nikon 50mm 1.4, nikon 105mm 2.8 VR, nikon 70-200mm 2.8, sb-900, sb-800, SB-600, ...fuji x100, Leica M6
www.ailukewitsch.com
http://ailukewitsch.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malabito

malabito's gear list:malabito's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D800 Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +8 more
Leo360
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033
Like?
In reply to Boushh_TFA, Jan 29, 2013

Boushh_TFA wrote:

Bought my D600 last wednesday. Has been awefull weather since then except for one single morning when I made:

Probaly not even picture number 100, but didn't see any dust either (or maybe I'm just not looking good enough ?).

Does that answer your question :)

Nice picture! To assess whether you have dust/oil spots it is better to shoot at f/16 rather than f/8.

Leo

SethG
Contributing MemberPosts: 880
Like?
In reply to Yves P., Jan 30, 2013

I got my D600 during the promotional sale last month. I've shot about 600 images and haven't noticed dust or oil

Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?
In reply to SethG, Jan 30, 2013

I did not get oil till around 2,800. Others go it around 2,000 and one report was 9,000+. I would say no way of knowing till the camera hits well over 3,000. If by that point you are good I would say you should be fine. 600 is not a good indication. Nikon repair is shooting about 3,000 shots when testing some units

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Carl Maiorino
Senior MemberPosts: 1,846
Like?
No Dust or Oil On Mine...
In reply to zigge, Jan 30, 2013

I also know several D600 owners who are not having a problem.  The only people posting are those who are seeing a problem, which I think is skewing perceptions...I wouldn't be surprised to discover that the vast majority of these cameras are problem-free...next week at fashion week will be the real test for my D600...my D3 still throws oil spots after three years, I guess I am used to it so I am prepared if my D600 decides to do the same.  The camera is too good a camera to only talk about the oil spots...the image quality on this camera is magnificent!!!

leerob
Contributing MemberPosts: 927Gear list
Like?
In reply to MarceloLI, Jan 30, 2013

It's only $2K camera what do you expect? Perfect camera?

leerob's gear list:leerob's gear list
Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED
zigge
Like?
In reply to leerob, Jan 30, 2013

So i turned in the camera and the saleslady called Nikon who said it shouldnt happen with new sendings of Nikon D600, but anyway they send it in for a "fix" but i will immediately test it when i get it back, if there is as much as 1 spot i can luckily cancel the purchase and get my money back.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads