800mm f/5.6...lighter than 600mm f/4....nice!

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions
Joe Porto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,008Gear list
Like?
800mm f/5.6...lighter than 600mm f/4....nice!
Jan 29, 2013

I have been waiting with anticipation for the specs of the 800mm f/5.6. I assumed it would be even heavier than the 600mm f/4. But it's nearly a half a kilo lighter!

I work often  with the 400mm f/2.8 and TC-20c, but optical quality suffers. The 800mm is even 100g lighter than the 400mm...I want this lens!

It's nice to see that as much as Nikon is pushing the consumer/prosumer market, they are still on the cutting edge of high end optics.

Joe Porto's gear list:Joe Porto's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,468Gear list
Like?
Re: 800mm f/5.6...lighter than 600mm f/4....nice!
In reply to Joe Porto, Jan 29, 2013

The inclusion of the special 1.25x teleconverter in the price to get presumably top optical quality at 1000 mm seems a smart move to me.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jeminijoseph
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,783Gear list
Like?
$18000. ouch!

I think Nikon will replace other super teles soon with lighter versions. That would be nice. But the price will be higher than Canon versions for sure. I'll keep my 500 vr. Anyway looks like nikon versions can be lighter too.

coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,754
Like?

Joe Porto wrote:

I have been waiting with anticipation for the specs of the 800mm f/5.6. I assumed it would be even heavier than the 600mm f/4. But it's nearly a half a kilo lighter!

I work often with the 400mm f/2.8 and TC-20c, but optical quality suffers. The 800mm is even 100g lighter than the 400mm...I want this lens!

It's nice to see that as much as Nikon is pushing the consumer/prosumer market, they are still on the cutting edge of high end optics.

Price is cutting edge too.. They took Canon's overpricing to a whole new level.

Joe Porto
Like?
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, Jan 29, 2013

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

The inclusion of the special 1.25x teleconverter in the price to get presumably top optical quality at 1000 mm seems a smart move to me.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Yes...I'm not one for MTF charts, but this is pretty impressive, and outperforms even the 500mm f/4 w/o tele (on paper of course). 

1000mm w/ teleconverter:

Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
jeminijoseph
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,783Gear list
Like?
My bad. It's heavier than canon's current model
In reply to jeminijoseph, Jan 29, 2013

I think Nikon will replace other super teles soon with lighter versions. That would be nice. But the price will be higher than Canon versions for sure. I'll keep my 500 vr. Anyway looks like nikon versions can be lighter too.

Min focusing is not much better than canon either. So when canon come out with their light weight version this will look silly.

Joe Porto
Like?
Re: My bad. It's heavier than canon's current model
In reply to jeminijoseph, Jan 29, 2013

jeminijoseph wrote:

Min focusing is not much better than canon either. So when canon come out with their light weight version this will look silly.

Well, 3 ounces on a 10LB lens isn't going to make a difference. Just going by the MTF charts, the Nikon is not only sharper than the Canon from edge to edge, it is also sharper at 1000mm w/ converter than the Canon is at 800mm.

Anyway, you guys can complain all you want...I plan to be shooting this baby in the next couple months. 

jamesdak
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,827
Like?

Joe Porto wrote:

jeminijoseph wrote:

Well, 3 ounces on a 10LB lens isn't going to make a difference. Just going by the MTF charts, the Nikon is not only sharper than the Canon from edge to edge, it is also sharper at 1000mm w/ converter than the Canon is at 800mm.

Anyway, you guys can complain all you want...I plan to be shooting this baby in the next couple months.

Enjoy, I"ll keep using my manual focus version of this lens because I would need to sell a kidney to afford this, LOL!!

-- hide signature --

Long live the HMS Beagle Critiques always welcome!

Snapshott
Senior MemberPosts: 1,867Gear list
Like?
In reply to jamesdak, Jan 29, 2013

:-Djamesdak wrote:

Enjoy, I"ll keep using my manual focus version of this lens because I would need to sell a kidney to afford this, LOL!!
-- hide signature --

Can you really get that much for a kidney? I may be able to afford this lens after all.

-- hide signature --

Snapshott

Snapshott's gear list:Snapshott's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +13 more
JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,339Gear list
Like?
In Canada...
In reply to coudet, Jan 29, 2013

I can get a 1DX and an 800 f5.6 IS for less money! No cool 1.25x TC though.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
Geomaticsman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,486Gear list
Like?
Re: In Canada...
In reply to JimPearce, Jan 29, 2013

JimPearce wrote:

Better get the 800L fast Jim...before the MKII version comes out at a much higher price.

Truthfully, having shot the 800L I'm not so sure I'd have another 800mm lens.

-- hide signature --

Gary -- Some Nikon stuff -- and a preference for wildlife in natural light
www.pbase.com/garyirwin
http://photographersonlinemagazine.blogspot.com

Geomaticsman's gear list:Geomaticsman's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
jamesdak
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,827
Like?
In reply to Geomaticsman, Jan 29, 2013

Geomaticsman wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

Better get the 800L fast Jim...before the MKII version comes out at a much higher price.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/garyirwin

Why not, I find it very rewarding when used with good technique.  Really give me a chance to nail the shot on some of the wildlife work I do.

-- hide signature --

mattr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,443
Like?
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, Jan 29, 2013

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Yes, indeed.

The thing I don't understand is why they made it only 1.25x. A 1.4x would have made more sense, IMO. If the lens is as sharp as the MTFs indicate, even with a 1.4x TC it should still be easily good enough for the D800 sensor.

The cropping flexibility of current 36MP full frame sensors makes low magnification TCs pretty much unnecessary. With the D800, 1.25x magnification by cropping still results in a 23MP image.

Could it be that they had some concerns that autofocus at f/8 would be worse than at f/7.1?

Geomaticsman
Like?
In reply to jamesdak, Jan 29, 2013

jamesdak wrote:

Geomaticsman wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/garyirwin

Why not, I find it very rewarding when used with good technique. Really give me a chance to nail the shot on some of the wildlife work I do.

I'm not saying an 800 isn't useful, but I'm finding I prefer a 500+TC over an 800 -- the 500 is lighter, shorter, wider FOV and shorter MFD. Right now if Nikon released a 7 lb 500VRIII w/pancake MTF like Canon's 500MKII, I that could be the last supertele I'd ever buy -- and that's shooting FX for the rest of my life.

Consider such a 500+TC14EII should yield 700mm of decently flat MTF at f5.6...only 100mm less that the 800VR...the 800 comes with a lot of extra "baggage" with not a lot of extra punch.

If you need the reach, get a V2.

Just my experience.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/garyirwin

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Daniel Clune
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,432Gear list
Like?
18 grand Must be alot of rich people out there

My 2008 Honda Fit sport cost me about 16k. 18K for a lens, yikes. I used to have a sigma 300-800 in canon mount. I found it way to hard to get anything in the viewfinder at full zoom. Stationary objects ok but moving targets no thanks. Always zoomed back to 300 then once in viewfinder cranked zoom to 800.

Guess there are allot of rich people out there. Most of them are work alcoholics so I guess only pros that need this range will be getting one. I guess this is a staus symbol lens for Nikon. Cant imagine many of theses being sold.

-- hide signature --
 Daniel Clune's gear list:Daniel Clune's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Epson Stylus Photo R1900
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,531
Like?
Only $5K more than Sony 500/4 !
In reply to Daniel Clune, Jan 29, 2013

Daniel Clune wrote:

My 2008 Honda Fit sport cost me about 16k. 18K for a lens, yikes.

Years ago, I attended a "Nikon School" seminar.  (I wasn't even shooting Nikon back then).  One segment was a 15 minute slide show & talk on what you can do with a 600/4.  The instructor told us that after a previous seminar, he was taken to task by an attendee to complained that he wasted her time talking about a lens that costs as much as a small car.  His reply: "Do you need a small car ?"  Point being, most people won't need the lens and won't spend on it, but some people will decide they want it and will figure out a way to buy it.

Do you know people with boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles, ATVs or other expensive toys ?  I wouldn't spend $18K on a lens, because I don't do photography seriously enough to warrant it.  But some do.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Daniel Clune
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,432Gear list
Like?
Re: Only $5K more than Sony 500/4 !
In reply to Dennis, Jan 29, 2013

Dennis wrote:

Daniel Clune wrote:

My 2008 Honda Fit sport cost me about 16k. 18K for a lens, yikes.

Years ago, I attended a "Nikon School" seminar. (I wasn't even shooting Nikon back then). One segment was a 15 minute slide show & talk on what you can do with a 600/4. The instructor told us that after a previous seminar, he was taken to task by an attendee to complained that he wasted her time talking about a lens that costs as much as a small car. His reply: "Do you need a small car ?" Point being, most people won't need the lens and won't spend on it, but some people will decide they want it and will figure out a way to buy it.

Do you know people with boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles, ATVs or other expensive toys ? I wouldn't spend $18K on a lens, because I don't do photography seriously enough to warrant it. But some do.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --

Hey iam not saying don't buy it but seriously you had better  make at least 100 grand a year to be in the ballpark to buy such a lens. But even at 100K a year 18K for one lens is still allot of money. My sigma 300-800 I used to have was quite a nice lens and very sharp. It cost me used 4 grand and a zoom to boot. I would buy another Sigma 300-800 over this 18 grand one any day. Sure the Nikon will be a LITTLE better but not that much better. Its for the rich. You need your head examined if you say make only 50K a year and buy this for your hobby. Only thing you mentioned above that is over 18 grand are boats which you can get a 30 year loan for. I know several that have such loans for large boats and its more like a lease than anything else.But hey if you got it spend it. But it seems to me this is more a status symbol lens for Nikon. If Nikon sells more than say 2000 of these world wide I would be shocked.

-- hide signature --
 Daniel Clune's gear list:Daniel Clune's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Epson Stylus Photo R1900
Joe Porto
Like?
Re: 18 grand Must be alot of rich people out there
In reply to Daniel Clune, Jan 29, 2013

Daniel Clune wrote:

My 2008 Honda Fit sport cost me about 16k. 18K for a lens, yikes. I used to have a sigma 300-800 in canon mount. I found it way to hard to get anything in the viewfinder at full zoom. Stationary objects ok but moving targets no thanks. Always zoomed back to 300 then once in viewfinder cranked zoom to 800.

Guess there are allot of rich people out there. Most of them are work alcoholics so I guess only pros that need this range will be getting one. I guess this is a staus symbol lens for Nikon. Cant imagine many of theses being sold.

-- hide signature --

Well, Rolls Royce had a record year in 2102, so someone is making money.

Maybe those folks up in North Dakota's Bakken's will buy them up? 

Joe Porto
Like?
Re: Only $5K more than Sony 500/4 !
In reply to Dennis, Jan 29, 2013

Dennis wrote:

Do you know people with boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles, ATVs or other expensive toys ? I wouldn't spend $18K on a lens, because I don't do photography seriously enough to warrant it. But some do.

- Dennis

Exactly...I'd rather be out in the woods with an 800mm f/5.6 than on a boat fishing and drinking light beer. And I wouldn't be making money either way.

And I paid less for my car (used) than I did for my 400mm f/2.8. 

Geomaticsman
Like?
10 lbs is light for Nikon, but still heavy compared to Canon...

I'm a little disappointed to see the 800VR come in at 10 lbs (not that I have plans to  buy one immediately). I obviously don't know all the details, but it appears that Nikon kept the front protective meniscus element that Canon chose to jettison in order to save weight on their MKII's. If rumors are correct and Canon update their 800L to MKII technology, their 800IS II should come in around 8.5 lbs, similar to their 600.

So 10 lbs isn't bad for Nikon, and the performance looks to be stellar, but if they shaved it down to 8.5 lbs or so, that would have been spectacular.

I'm also worried that this means Nikon won't be working hard to lighten it's current supertele's as much as it could have. But again, this is just speculation.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/garyirwin

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads