Impressing with AF improvement in new firmware

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions
drent
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?
Re: Impressing with AF improvement in new firmware
In reply to GSharp87, Jan 30, 2013

I do not notice much difference (if any). AF-C is still not great (very slow), but I hardly ever use it I must admit.

But the update works, it is not a hoax message.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MonteCarlo67
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?
In reply to Corwin Lee, Jan 30, 2013

I'm guessing the only reason Fujifilm doesn't want you to download it is because it's not coming directly from their website. I'm assuming they know it is just the firmware upgrades that are on the memory card that comes with the 14mm that someone has just  posted on the Web.

MonteCarlo67's gear list:MonteCarlo67's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +1 more
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169
Like?
In reply to MonteCarlo67, Jan 30, 2013

MonteCarlo67 wrote:

I'm guessing the only reason Fujifilm doesn't want you to download it is because it's not coming directly from their website. I'm assuming they know it is just the firmware upgrades that are on the memory card that comes with the 14mm that someone has just posted on the Web.

The reason is that the firmware is there to support the 14mm. If you have the 14mm, you have the firmware. If you don't, there's no benefit in installing it beside placebo effects.

Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,874Gear list
Like?
Looks to be unofficial
In reply to JimMc, Jan 30, 2013

JimMc wrote:

Chris Dodkin wrote:

great to hear - must download today

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Is this firmware update applicable to the XE1? Exactly what improvements does it provide?

At this point I'm going to hold back as the update is not officially from Fuji, and is a guy providing a file from a drop box

No way to know what it is exactly - so I'm going to wait for the official release

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,661Gear list
Like?
Re: Looks to be unofficial
In reply to Chris Dodkin, Jan 30, 2013

Probably a 2.02 version that comes with the few 14mm now available

Apparently not a good version with some cross effects with the 18-55mm so no point to spoil the camera!

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,661Gear list
Like?
In reply to drent, Jan 30, 2013

As demonstrated by Chasseur d'Images, french photo magazine, AFC works very well  for trackinf a mobile subject in a burst, the XE1 giving bettre results than the Alpha 99 in that exercice...

-- hide signature --

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to baobob, Jan 30, 2013

baobob wrote:

As demonstrated by Chasseur d'Images, french photo magazine, AFC works very well for trackinf a mobile subject in a burst, the XE1 giving bettre results than the Alpha 99 in that exercice...

-- hide signature --

Any links to that? Id love to read that

Ryan Williams
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
In reply to MonteCarlo67, Jan 30, 2013

MonteCarlo67 wrote:

I'm guessing the only reason Fujifilm doesn't want you to download it is because it's not coming directly from their website. I'm assuming they know it is just the firmware upgrades that are on the memory card that comes with the 14mm that someone has just posted on the Web.

Of course they're not going to endorse firmware that they don't directly provide themselves. If you install dodgy firmware on a device you'll 'brick' it — render it unusable because it has no working firmware. If that happens the only solution is to send it back to Fuji for repairs, and it'll probably cost you.

While in this particular case it's probably OK, you shouldn't make a habit of installing firmware you got from a third-party source onto your devices.

Imagefoundry
Regular MemberPosts: 269
Like?
In reply to Ryan Williams, Jan 31, 2013

I don't know what's with the folks above "impressing" with AF improvements, the FW linked is 2.02 for Xpro1 and 1.03 for XE-1 - a simple lens compatibility update. It's been shipping for quite some time. Someone just decided to upload a copy from an SD card supplied with 14mm lens.

What am I missing?

cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,861Gear list
Like?
In reply to Imagefoundry, Jan 31, 2013

I am not in such a hurry I have to download from a third party. People are so impatient.

Daniel from Bavaria
Contributing MemberPosts: 726
Like?
In reply to Imagefoundry, Jan 31, 2013

Imagefoundry wrote:

I don't know what's with the folks above "impressing" with AF improvements, the FW linked is 2.02 for Xpro1 and 1.03 for XE-1 - a simple lens compatibility update. It's been shipping for quite some time. Someone just decided to upload a copy from an SD card supplied with 14mm lens.

What am I missing?

I assume not much.

I will wait what comes earlier: My 14mm lens or the official update from Fuji and will act accordingly.

BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,207Gear list
Like?
In reply to baobob, Jan 31, 2013

baobob wrote:

As demonstrated by Chasseur d'Images, french photo magazine, AFC works very well for trackinf a mobile subject in a burst, the XE1 giving bettre results than the Alpha 99 in that exercice...

Very interesting.

Cheers

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads