Impressing with AF improvement in new firmware

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions
Corwin Lee
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
Impressing with AF improvement in new firmware
Jan 29, 2013

After test the delayed firmware from site below, the af performance look good, it have solve the backlit focus problem. AF in other case also speed up slightly, look forward on final release :-).

http://www.dchome.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1176585&extra=page%3D1

Corwin Lee's gear list:Corwin Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
Zardoz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?
Re: Impressing with AF improvement in new firmware
In reply to Corwin Lee, Jan 29, 2013

Interesting, sounds like good news.  Is there a list of changes beyond the one from FujiRumors?  I wonder if this is identical to the update rumored to be shipping on SD card to the lucky few that have received their 14mm lenses.  Looking forward to the official release.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dengx
Contributing MemberPosts: 922
Like?

Corwin Lee wrote:

After test the delayed firmware from site below, the af performance look good, it have solve the backlit focus problem. AF in other case also speed up slightly, look forward on final release :-).

It is not the delayed firmware, it's the firmware that includes XF14 support (it is the same firmware that ships with XF14 on SD card and you can download it from that site).

The delayed firmware is 2.03.

Anyway I also heard that the backlight focus is improved.

Regards

TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,329
Like?

Corwin Lee wrote:

After test the delayed firmware from site below, the af performance look good, it have solve the backlit focus problem. AF in other case also speed up slightly, look forward on final release :-).

Thanks for that. Not sure why I bothered to update, but I did.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

dengx
Like?
In reply to TThorne, Jan 29, 2013

TThorne wrote:

Thanks for that. Not sure why I bothered to update, but I did.

That "tiny voice in your head" (C)

Offtopic:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/05/letter-to-george.html

Regards

Gunston Gun
Regular MemberPosts: 344Gear list
Like?
In reply to dengx, Jan 29, 2013

No more hunting???

Gunston Gun's gear list:Gunston Gun's gear list
Leica M8.2 Leica M9 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM +7 more
Gunston Gun
Regular MemberPosts: 344Gear list
Like?
In reply to dengx, Jan 29, 2013

Hunting?

Gunston Gun's gear list:Gunston Gun's gear list
Leica M8.2 Leica M9 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM +7 more
Corwin Lee
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gunston Gun, Jan 30, 2013

New firmware almost no hunting at all, but haven't test much on accuracy yet.

Corwin Lee's gear list:Corwin Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
a l b e r t
Senior MemberPosts: 1,265Gear list
Like?
In reply to Corwin Lee, Jan 30, 2013

Yes, almost no hunting and AF much more accurate!

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,874Gear list
Like?
In reply to a l b e r t, Jan 30, 2013

great to hear - must download today

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
ven210
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to Chris Dodkin, Jan 30, 2013

Placebo or what but it seems faster. cant wait for 1.04.

pkincy
Contributing MemberPosts: 797
Like?
In reply to ven210, Jan 30, 2013

Please note that Fuji says this is NOT the new FW and should not  be downloaded or installed.

See Fuji Rumours.

-- hide signature --

X100
XPro1; 60mm Macro, 35mm f1.4
XE1; Kit Zoom

pcb_dpr
Contributing MemberPosts: 646
Like?
In reply to pkincy, Jan 30, 2013

This is all very strange. It's either a total hoax, or somebody went to the trouble to create a firmware hack without announcing it as such, or a genuine interim/unannounced firmware upgrade leaked from Fuji, or....what?? CDHome has downloadable files that appear to be firmware upgrades, and they're showing a photo of an X-Pro1 reporting body firmware 2.02. Fuji's own website still shows 2.01 as current. What gives?

pkincy wrote:

Please note that Fuji says this is NOT the new FW and should not be downloaded or installed.

See Fuji Rumours.

-- hide signature --

X100
XPro1; 60mm Macro, 35mm f1.4
XE1; Kit Zoom

JimMc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,834Gear list
Like?
Re: Chris
In reply to Chris Dodkin, Jan 30, 2013

Chris Dodkin wrote:

great to hear - must download today

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Is this firmware update applicable to the XE1? Exactly what improvements does it provide?

dengx
Like?
In reply to pkincy, Jan 30, 2013

pkincy wrote:

Please note that Fuji says this is NOT the new FW and should not be downloaded or installed.

It is a new firmware, it is just not the latest one that was to be released week ago but was pushed back.

It is a firmware that is bundled with XF14. That's all.

Regards

pcb_dpr
Like?
In reply to dengx, Jan 30, 2013

So this is an interim firmware release for adding XF14 support to the XP1/XE1, and is included with shipping XF14 lenses. I know you said that already, twice now, but I haven't had my morning coffee yet so not much is entering my brain.

Fuji hasn't made the XF14 firmware available on their website yet, or mentioned the 2.02 update (XP1) either, as far as I've seen, which probably accounts for the: "it's a fake!" chatter on fujirumors.com.

And some folks are saying this update does improve AF performance with other lenses. I'll probably let others test it before I try it on my camera, I'd feel better if Fuji made mention of all this on their website firmware update pages.

dengx wrote:

pkincy wrote:

It is a new firmware, it is just not the latest one that was to be released week ago but was pushed back.

It is a firmware that is bundled with XF14. That's all.

Regards

dengx
Like?
In reply to pcb_dpr, Jan 30, 2013

pcb_dpr wrote:

If these are genuine new firmware updates, why aren't they available yet on Fuji's site? How did the poster on DChome obtain them?

You are missing something.

This firmware comes with XF14mm on a SD card and they just copied it from there.

Fujifilm wanted to publish even newer firmware at the time of release of XF14 (it seems they got it ready) but found a nasty bug (most likely the bug with XF18-55 and pixels in left-top corner) and postponed it.

Regards

pcb_dpr
Like?
In reply to dengx, Jan 30, 2013

Yes, sorry, I apologized just above, I understand now. I'm blaming lack of caffeine. And the proliferation of rumors sites, fujirumors is saying the update is a fake and cameras shouldn't be flashed. I'll see if I can send them a note.

Maybe my XP1 will get 2.02 today...

dengx wrote:

pcb_dpr wrote:

If these are genuine new firmware updates, why aren't they available yet on Fuji's site? How did the poster on DChome obtain them?

This firmware comes with XF14mm on a SD card and they just copied it from there.

Fujifilm wanted to publish even newer firmware at the time of release of XF14 (it seems they got it ready) but found a nasty bug (most likely the bug with XF18-55 and pixels in left-top corner) and postponed it.

Regards

pcb_dpr
Like?
In reply to pcb_dpr, Jan 30, 2013

Already several comments on the fujirumors post stating the firmware is not fake. Time to end the firedrill and have that cup o' coffee....

pcb_dpr wrote:

Yes, sorry, I apologized just above, I understand now. I'm blaming lack of caffeine. And the proliferation of rumors sites, fujirumors is saying the update is a fake and cameras shouldn't be flashed. I'll see if I can send them a note.

Maybe my XP1 will get 2.02 today...

dengx wrote:

pcb_dpr wrote:

Regards

GSharp87
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Corwin Lee, Jan 30, 2013

I just installed this FW on my X-E1 and from the limited testing that I have done, the AF-assist illuminator seems to be doing a much better job. Low light auto-focusing almost never fails as long as you have some contrast in the AF box.

Definite improvement over the previous FW for sure - at least in my experience.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads