Should Oly bring out a competitor to the NEX6?

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions
don_van_vliet
Contributing MemberPosts: 618
Like?
Should Oly bring out a competitor to the NEX6?
Jan 29, 2013

I think so! (Disclaimer: not trying to start an M43 vs NEX war, both are great systems).

You can buy a NEX6 body only here for £630 from Amazon, whilst the OMD is £1000. If I was a serious amateur choosing a mirrorless system for the first time I think I would find the NEX6 option very compelling. I really hope Oly come up with something with a more competitive price in the near future. Maybe a cheaper OM-D (or PEN) with a viewfinder, PEN-quality IBIS, no weather sealing and a slightly lower build quality?

It would need to be sufficiently different that the additional price of the EM-5 is justified. Maybe we won't see a cheaper alternative until the EM-5 successor comes along...?

EDIT: Sorry for the Olympus bias! I know that Panasonic have some great competitively priced with EVFs. Personally I prefer non-DSLR styling and IBIS.

Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
eques
Senior MemberPosts: 1,628Gear list
Like?
Yes, yes, yes, and the sooner the better.
In reply to don_van_vliet, Jan 29, 2013

Panasonic or Olympus, I prefer Panasonic because of the better menue.

And the latest sensor (GH3 or E-M5) of course.

Peter.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?
Re: Should Oly bring out a competitor to the NEX6?

I think that the E-P3 successor will be the RF shaped camera with integrated VF many ar dreaming of. It is rumored to come out soon, but I don't expect it to be cheaper than the E-M5 : just tailored for a different set of users. Look at the actual prices of the E-Pl5, it doesn't cost much less than the E-M5, at least here. There will be a cheaper alternative to the E-M5. It was already stated at the launch of the E-M5, but the next OM-D may well rather be the "pro" camera allowing the use of the regular FT lenses to focus with PDAF.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,305Gear list
Like?
Should Sony bring out a competitor to the E-M5?

Because the 5 axis IBIS is a killer feature for using legacy lenses.....just sayin'......

-- hide signature --

Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
don_van_vliet
Like?
5-axis and focus peaking and Metabones speed booster....
In reply to papillon_65, Jan 29, 2013

5-axis and focus peaking and Metabones speed booster would be very compelling indeed.

YuriS
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?
Re: 5-axis and focus peaking and Metabones speed booster....

don_van_vliet wrote:

5-axis and focus peaking and Metabones speed booster would be very compelling indeed.

There is no focus peaking at OM-D. Just rumors...
--
Yuri Stangrit
http://natalispalette.jimdo.com/new-and-old-camera-lenses-by-yuri-stangrit/

YuriS's gear list:YuriS's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +1 more
zxaar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,254
Like?
Re: Should Sony bring out a competitor to the E-M5?

papillon_65 wrote:

Because the 5 axis IBIS is a killer feature for using legacy lenses.....just sayin'......

-- hide signature --

Tony

Is this the reason that some place like Japan OMD is not selling very well. Even the joke of the year pentax Q was sold more?

Is this killer feature killing the OMD?

-- hide signature --

::> Knowledge is mother of efficiency.

don_van_vliet
Like?
Re: 5-axis and focus peaking and Metabones speed booster....
In reply to YuriS, Jan 29, 2013

I am aware of that, I was speculating on the future.

don_van_vliet
Like?
In reply to zxaar, Jan 29, 2013

Get back under your bridge!!!

Maklike Tier
Regular MemberPosts: 164Gear list
Like?

The reason I didn't get a Nex was the lenses issue.  Heaps more to choose from with the M43 selection.  If I was just after a 'modern' looking CSC camera though, the Nex6 would be hard to beat, but in terms of investing in a 'system', it kinda lost out. Sony won't be sitting still though, you can count on that.

I think the new E-P5 or whatever it's going to be called, needs to essentially be a retro styled compact design not dissimilar to what the E-P3 is, but with the E-M5's innards and a viewfinder.  It doesn't need IBIS.  It does however need a 25mm f2.0 prime kit as an option.

The next OM-D?  It really just needs PDAF and incremental improvements overall, doesn't it?

Maklike Tier's gear list:Maklike Tier's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
papillon_65
Like?

zxaar wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tony

Is this the reason that some place like Japan OMD is not selling very well. Even the joke of the year pentax Q was sold more?

-- hide signature --

Oh really? well in the UK they can't give away the Pentax Q, they are going for a fraction of what they cost new. Clearly the photography world is abuzz with people raving all about the Q and the OMD has been a dreadful disappointment for everyone. Obviously the OMD winning awards left right and centre is no indicator whatsoever to its success, or did you miss that memo Pentax boy?
You really need to get a life son.

-- hide signature --

Tony

Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?

zxaar wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tony

This is an easy shot, but it doesn't hold much wisdom in it : do you think that Swiss clocks manufacturers are selling more 45$ Swatches ? Or more 7000$ Rolex ?  Do you think that Italian car designers are selling more Ferrari coupes than Fiat Topolini ? Or that Japanese cameras manufacturers are selling more D800 than Canon Rebels ?

Comparing apples and oranges never made sense, an entry level afordable consumer level camera in the 300-400$ price range will always attract more casual shooters and buyers than an enthusiast camera costing three times as much.  Give it a thought : are there more casual photographers or enthusiast photographers in the world ? and are there more wealthier people or more lower income people ?

Rather your killer comparison is killing me 

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

zxaar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,254
Like?

papillon_65 wrote:

zxaar wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tony

-- hide signature --

Oh really? well in the UK they can't give away the Pentax Q, they are going for a fraction of what they cost new. Clearly the photography world is abuzz with people raving all about the Q and the OMD has been a dreadful disappointment for everyone. Obviously the OMD winning awards left right and centre is no indicator whatsoever to its success, or did you miss that memo Pentax boy?

-- hide signature --

Tony

Still it did not sell more than Q in Japan in 2012. Thats the fact.

You and other OMD fanboys can jump all you want up and down, it won't change the facts. I know it hurts your feelings but sometime truth is bitter.

-- hide signature --

jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,365Gear list
Like?
In reply to Maklike Tier, Jan 29, 2013

Maklike Tier wrote:

The reason I didn't get a Nex was the lenses issue. Heaps more to choose from with the M43 selection. If I was just after a 'modern' looking CSC camera though, the Nex6 would be hard to beat, but in terms of investing in a 'system', it kinda lost out. Sony won't be sitting still though, you can count on that.

I agree about the NEX lens issue. The native NEX AF lenses have no interest for me whatsoever. For me, a NEX-6 would be a great system for adapting my assortment of manual lenses. I've been debating whether to upgrade to a GH3 or get a NEX-6, but then I couldn't use my favorite M4/3 lenses (SLR magic 12mm, 7-14mm, Voigtländer 25mm) on the NEX and do NOT want to carry 2 cameras.

So, I'll just wait to see if Oly or Panasonic will finally release a true rangefinder body. It's LONG overdue!

The next OM-D? It really just needs PDAF and incremental improvements overall, doesn't it?

For the Next OMD, Oly needs to focus on decent ergonomics and improving their menu system and UI. While I love the output, I found handling sadly sub-par. Adding a $300 external grip defeats the purpose of a small camera body.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
papillon_65
Like?

zxaar wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

zxaar wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tony

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Tony

Still it did not sell more than Q in Japan in 2012. Thats the fact.

Yea, I've been in a deep depression about that for some time, it's so upsetting......

You and other OMD fanboys can jump all you want up and down, it won't change the facts. I know it hurts your feelings but sometime truth is bitter.

You mean as opposed to a Pentax fanboy who repeatedly trolls here touting a camera in which the manufacturer promotes the lenses as "toys", yep, it's such a burden for us to bear, when will the angst ever end.......

-- hide signature --

You seriously do need to get a life......

-- hide signature --

Tony

normsmith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,372
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, Jan 29, 2013

My main disappointment with NEX has been that despite the body system being now a few years old and well supported by good upgrade models, the lens line up has not followed in the same way - despite us always thinking that the next group of useful lens releases must surely just be around the corner.

Having come away from DSLR and mirrorless for a while and now ready to re-invest in something that will cover the focal range that my RX100 doesn't, I am really going around in circles as what to jump into - despite in truth everything these days being pretty decent. I find myself thinking about waiting for the next batch of releases, which is always something in the past that I've considered a bit of a waste of time - when you could actually just get cracking on with taking pictures (I quite fancy the Panasonic G5 but not enough to jump on it!).

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,067Gear list
Like?
Oly has hinted...

IIRC, Olympus was hinting there would be an OM-D placed above the E-M5 and one placed below it.  Don't know what features the 'lesser' body would lose, maybe weather sealing?  The top model might have a swivel screen or be CD-AF compatible.  But I don't think they set a timeline as to when we'd see either.

Budget permitting, I could see picking up a 'baby' OM-D as a second body, or go w a late model PEN for the lower profile

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
howielenny
Contributing MemberPosts: 678Gear list
Like?

If I hadn't chose the omd I would have chose the epl-5 over the nex 6 as I prefer the layout and ergonomics of the olympus setup over the sony setup.

howielenny's gear list:howielenny's gear list
Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +6 more
baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,029Gear list
Like?
In reply to howielenny, Jan 29, 2013

The answer to the original question is yes. An EVF squeezed into an EPL5 would be what they need, but it requires some  big time electronics integration  to get small and Olympus doesn't have as many chip designers as a Sony. The IBIS and the SSWF ckeaner  is inherently bigger than the SOny package too.

Expect that camera, but in 2013? Maybe.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?

zxaar wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tony

The Q is a delightful little camera at current prices ($250 w/kit zoom).  The joke was the original price.  The camera itself is great.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads