Lens suggestion: wide angle for vacation

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Questions
Younster10
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?
Lens suggestion: wide angle for vacation
Jan 29, 2013

Hi guys

I'm looking for a decent fast wide angle prime that doesn't weigh to much. It should be decent enough to use wide open on my D7000.

I was thinking about the 24 f2.8D. Does anyone have better ideas?

I would like to use it on vacation as wide angle walkaround lens, for shots during dinner, indoor, etc...

Thanks alot!!

Younster10's gear list:Younster10's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Younster10
Like?
Re: Lens suggestion: wide angle for vacation
In reply to Younster10, Jan 29, 2013

I forgot to mention, it shouldn't cost to much on about 300 euros give or take.

Thanks

Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
N i c k
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

I had the same problem. I was used to a 18-70mm DX lens for vacation and noticed that most of my shots were at 18mm (27mm FX equivalent). So when I bought a new D600 FX camera I chose the Nikkon 24mm f1/4 lens. Bit expensive sure, but love the image quality and I don't regret it. Offcourse ideal for indoor/low light. What I want to say, 24mm is a nice wide angle for vacation

slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,336Gear list
Like?

24mm isn't that wide on DX .... 36mm equivalent on 35mm or FX - that's what I use as my standard lens.

f2.8 isn't that fast either. If you're happy with f2.8 I would rather get a 17~50mm f2.8. Ideally I'd get the latest Sigma version with OS, but on a limited budget get the Tamron.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
N i c k
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to N i c k, Jan 29, 2013

N i c k wrote:

What I want to say, 24mm is a nice wide angle for vacation

In addition: 24mm on an FX camera off course, on a DX I would prefer 16mm. Maybe the Nikon AF-S 16-85 f/3.5-5.6G ED VR DX is a good option. Don't have experience with the VR in low light.

kormendi_adam
Contributing MemberPosts: 872Gear list
Like?

There is no such thing as a good, cheap, wide-angle prime for DX. 24mm is not wide on DX, and 20mm and 16mm primes are bloody expensive.

If your budget is limited to €300, you can forget 2.8 DX zooms too (unless you find a Tamron 17-50 in mint condition for that money, in which case, you should grab it).

The best for you might be to get a 18-105VR. At 18mm it is f3.5, and combined with the VR, it should deliver you quite acceptable images. I know, it is not 2.8, but it is much wider than 24mm and that is the best bang for money for DX. The 16-85 is out of your budget range.

kormendi_adam's gear list:kormendi_adam's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +1 more
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?

Younster10 wrote:

Thanks

What is your kit lens? It's probably just fine around 18-24mm wide angle. You've already got it so it's free from here on out and probably a better lens than you can purchase for your budget.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Younster10
Like?
In reply to Guidenet, Jan 29, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

Younster10 wrote:

Thanks

What is your kit lens? It's probably just fine around 18-24mm wide angle. You've already got it so it's free from here on out and probably a better lens than you can purchase for your budget.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

I got the 18-105 and a 50 f1.8G. the kit lens isn't fast enough for most indoor shots (is say most). Yes it's sharp no complains about that but I would like a small prime for the indoor shots in dimly lit situations.

Younster10
Like?
In reply to slimandy, Jan 29, 2013

slimandy wrote:

24mm isn't that wide on DX .... 36mm equivalent on 35mm or FX - that's what I use as my standard lens.

f2.8 isn't that fast either. If you're happy with f2.8 I would rather get a 17~50mm f2.8. Ideally I'd get the latest Sigma version with OS, but on a limited budget get the Tamron.

-- hide signature --

It isn't indeed a true wide angle on DX but I think it should fit my needs.

You might be right about the Tamron, if I buy that one I get the versatality of a zoom plus the f2.8..

choices, choices...

BobSC
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,292
Like?

Younster10 wrote:

slimandy wrote:

f2.8 isn't that fast either. If you're happy with f2.8 I would rather get a 17~50mm f2.8. Ideally I'd get the latest Sigma version with OS, but on a limited budget get the Tamron.

-- hide signature --

It isn't indeed a true wide angle on DX but I think it should fit my needs.

You might be right about the Tamron, if I buy that one I get the versatality of a zoom plus the f2.8..

choices, choices...

I have the 24/2.8 AIs and I think it's a great lens on my d200. Since you have the kit lens set it to 24 and spend a day looking through it. If you're happy with the field of view, then go for it.

Guidenet
Like?

Younster10 wrote:

Guidenet wrote:

Younster10 wrote:

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

I got the 18-105 and a 50 f1.8G. the kit lens isn't fast enough for most indoor shots (is say most). Yes it's sharp no complains about that but I would like a small prime for the indoor shots in dimly lit situations.

Well now, your 18-105 f/3.5-5.6 is a VR lens with f/3.5 at the wide end. That's only 2/3 of a stop more than a 24 f/2.8 or 20 f/2.8 prime lens which is not enough to worry about. Your ISO can take care of that and VR will easily tump that on static subjects, portraits and the like.

No, they just don't make a reasonably priced fast wide prime for your camera. The wider you go  the more expensive it becomes to make the lens fast. A 24 f/1.4 which would be 2 2/3 stops faster than what you have will cost you closer to 2000 Euros and not be as wide as what you have.

You have the cheapest fairly wide and fairly fast lens right now. You just need to learn how to use it. You might also wish to learn how to use a good external flash which would be money much better spent, IMO. The Nikon SB700 comes to mind.

You'd have to go to FX full frame to be able to make use of less expensive wides like the Nikon 28 f/1.8 at around 800 Euros or the Sigma 35 f/1.4 at close to 1000 Euros. They are just not wide on a crop camera lke yours.

You could maybe get a Samyang or something 14 f/2.8 but it's manual focus and a little more than your budget. That's about the only thing there is.

Seriously, learn to use what you have. It's a superb wide and fairly fast lens when you're wide. It's considered probably sharper than many of the old primes you'd be looking at. Just set your zoom to 18 and f/3.5 and you'll have exactly what you need without spending more cash. Really. Believe me.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
kormendi_adam
Like?
Exactly what I said. You are 100% right
In reply to Guidenet, Jan 29, 2013
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +1 more
Guidenet
Like?
Re: Exactly what I said. You are 100% right Well
In reply to kormendi_adam, Jan 30, 2013

I think the OP might just be wanting to spend money to spend money and the thrill of new glass. I think if she/he wants to spend money on a camera, a flash makes more sense than duplicating what he/she has already. We've all been down that road when we were novices. I remember buying a used Soligor 135 when I already had a wonderful Takumar 105. That Soligor was just priced cheap and I was 11 years old with lawnmowing money burning a hole in my pocket.

Never used that cheap lens. It's called "Instant Gratificationitis." In the Nikon world we can also call it NAS, Nikon Aquisition Syndrome. That's where we buy it without having mastered what we have. 300 Euros won't buy any of the suggestions that have been made brand new. Even the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is more like $450 USD. It's a good lens but it's slow focusing and hunts a bit. That's the point and he owns one of the best kit lenses in the business. Sharp as a tack. So we go over budget and basically duplicate what we have.

To the OP, if you just have to spend the money, get the Nikon 35 f/1.8. Again, that's not wide on a DX camera but the lens is very good and sells for $195 USD or whatever that is in Euros. That's the widest currently made DX Nikon prime.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Younster10
Like?
Re: Exactly what I said. You are 100% right Well
In reply to Guidenet, Jan 30, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

I think the OP might just be wanting to spend money to spend money and the thrill of new glass. I think if she/he wants to spend money on a camera, a flash makes more sense than duplicating what he/she has already. We've all been down that road when we were novices. I remember buying a used Soligor 135 when I already had a wonderful Takumar 105. That Soligor was just priced cheap and I was 11 years old with lawnmowing money burning a hole in my pocket.

Never used that cheap lens. It's called "Instant Gratificationitis." In the Nikon world we can also call it NAS, Nikon Aquisition Syndrome. That's where we buy it without having mastered what we have. 300 Euros won't buy any of the suggestions that have been made brand new. Even the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is more like $450 USD. It's a good lens but it's slow focusing and hunts a bit. That's the point and he owns one of the best kit lenses in the business. Sharp as a tack. So we go over budget and basically duplicate what we have.

To the OP, if you just have to spend the money, get the Nikon 35 f/1.8. Again, that's not wide on a DX camera but the lens is very good and sells for $195 USD or whatever that is in Euros. That's the widest currently made DX Nikon prime.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Guys thanks for all this usefull information. I already have an SB 700, but on a vacation it might be a bit annoying to take it with me everywhere.

The thing about my kitlens might be right, as well as the thing about those syndromes I think it is better to save my money to get a real good lens.

Thanks a lot!!

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,668Gear list
Like?
In reply to Younster10, Jan 30, 2013

Unfortunately, the 24F2.8D isn't very sharp wide open.    (In my experience, it's not particularly good in any way).

24mm on DX also isn't wide at all.    You'd be better off with most of the 18-xxx consumer zooms, but if you want 2.8 or faster, keep looking.

I have test shots of my 24F2.8 D if you need convincing that it's not all that great, but they are on a D700, and of course it stresses the corners a lot more than a DX camera.

There just aren't a lot of choices in a wide DX prime.    I do like my 10.5 F2.8 fisheye, but it's a fisheye...

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Rich Rosen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,239Gear list
Like?

Younster10 wrote:

Hi guys

I'm looking for a decent fast wide angle prime that doesn't weigh to much. It should be decent enough to use wide open on my D7000.

I was thinking about the 24 f2.8D. Does anyone have better ideas?

I would like to use it on vacation as wide angle walkaround lens, for shots during dinner, indoor, etc...

Thanks alot!!

If you want wide open, and fast, you will need to spend money, a lot more than 300 euros. Some body mentioned that the 24 2.8 is not a great lens. The new 24 1.4g is $2000. Craig mentioned that at the wide end the kit lens for the D7000 is only a half a stop slower. Not bad, and considering the low light capability of your D7000, save yourself some money, which I believe is the same conclusion you already came to. Good move.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D3 Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +24 more
sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?

Alternatively... save a bit and buy a good used FX body, which will open up to you more options for wide angle lenses without losing the focal length advantage due to the crop factor on DX.

sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?
In reply to kormendi_adam, Jan 30, 2013

kormendi_adam wrote:

OT: Just out of curiosity... Are you really pouring water into wine? Local custom? Bad wine? Like sparking red?

Younster10
Like?
In reply to sroute, Jan 30, 2013

sroute wrote:

Alternatively... save a bit and buy a good used FX body, which will open up to you more options for wide angle lenses without losing the focal length advantage due to the crop factor on DX.

and which one would you suggest to get second hand?

kormendi_adam
Like?
Wine + sparkling water = great beverage
In reply to sroute, Jan 30, 2013

In this part of Europe (Germany, Austria, Hungary, Checz Rep...etc.) we do this on a daily basis

Try it. 100ml wine + 200ml sparkling water. You are going to love it, especially on hot summer days.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads