Crop DSRLs on the verge of becoming obsolete Locked

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Airless
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Crop DSRLs on the verge of becoming obsolete
Jan 29, 2013

M43 is so close to dealing the final death blow to the Canikon Colossus, it is just one perfectly, godly, unstoppable camera away from obsoleting all crop DSLRs in one fell swoop. All  that is needed is a slightly redesigned OM-D E-M6 with real PDAF and wifi, and that will be the end of DX and APS-C forever. The new Epson EVF will surely blow away the inferior OVFs, M4/3 already has more and better lenses than DX, is more portable and has faster-advancing technology, looks cooler, pretty much everything a person could ever want in a camera if you're not a full frame professional user. This next camera that Olympus is set to unleash in the spring will be the epic camera to end all cameras, certainly all crop sensor DSLRs.

I suspect that Canikon has seen the writing on the wall because they haven't made a decent DSLR with a pentaprism OVF in over two years!, they decided it's not worth fighting a losing battle for real enthusiasts and they can make more money by going after the suckers who buy overpriced Rebels and D3x00/D5x00 models or that joke of a Nikon 1 system. They are just going to bilk people on these cheap entry-level models as long as they can and then close down DX/APS-C once and for all. They've already been surpassed by Pentax with the K-5 IIs and Sony with the A77 (and soon the A78). The end is nigh, and we await the fall of the Canikon Colossus with bated breath.

Airless's gear list:Airless's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Nikon D3X Pentax K-5 IIs Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,331
Re: Crop DSRLs on the verge of becoming obsolete
In reply to Airless, Jan 29, 2013

Whatever you are smoking - can I have some too?

don_van_vliet
Contributing MemberPosts: 618
Other people are predicting the demise of M43...

... and I take about a much notice of them as of you

Lucas McDonald
Regular MemberPosts: 165Gear list
In reply to Abrak, Jan 29, 2013

I would not touch anything he is smoking , the after affects of losing brains cells is very alarming .

Lucas McDonald's gear list:Lucas McDonald's gear list
Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
FunGun
Junior MemberPosts: 39
This forum is wonderful. It is like standup comedy central. :D
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,299Gear list
Popcorn anyone? (nt)
-- hide signature --

Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,845Gear list
LOL, sure

Airless wrote:

M43 is so close to dealing the final death blow to the Canikon Colossus, it is just one perfectly, godly, unstoppable camera away from obsoleting all crop DSLRs in one fell swoop. All that is needed is a slightly redesigned OM-D E-M6 with real PDAF and wifi, and that will be the end of DX and APS-C forever. The new Epson EVF will surely blow away the inferior OVFs, M4/3 already has more and better lenses than DX, is more portable and has faster-advancing technology, looks cooler, pretty much everything a person could ever want in a camera if you're not a full frame professional user. This next camera that Olympus is set to unleash in the spring will be the epic camera to end all cameras, certainly all crop sensor DSLRs.

I suspect that Canikon has seen the writing on the wall because they haven't made a decent DSLR with a pentaprism OVF in over two years!, they decided it's not worth fighting a losing battle for real enthusiasts and they can make more money by going after the suckers who buy overpriced Rebels and D3x00/D5x00 models or that joke of a Nikon 1 system. They are just going to bilk people on these cheap entry-level models as long as they can and then close down DX/APS-C once and for all. They've already been surpassed by Pentax with the K-5 IIs and Sony with the A77 (and soon the A78). The end is nigh, and we await the fall of the Canikon Colossus with bated breath.

LOL

Where do these ideas come from. m4/3 does not have one single decent fixed nature shooting lens, same for sports.

What do you actually take ??

Here, take your pick

http://forums.dpreview.com/products/canon/lenses

http://forums.dpreview.com/products/Nikon/lenses

So how long before m4/3 catches up

All the best and BTW, I don't use a DSLR

Danny.

-- hide signature --
nzmacro
Butter and salt thanks Tony :-)) (nt)
In reply to papillon_65, Jan 29, 2013
-- hide signature --
micronean
Regular MemberPosts: 296Gear list

Airless wrote:

M43 is so close to dealing the final death blow to the Canikon Colossus, it is just one perfectly, godly, unstoppable camera away from obsoleting all crop DSLRs in one fell swoop. All that is needed is a slightly redesigned OM-D E-M6 with real PDAF and wifi, and that will be the end of DX and APS-C forever. The new Epson EVF will surely blow away the inferior OVFs, M4/3 already has more and better lenses than DX, is more portable and has faster-advancing technology, looks cooler, pretty much everything a person could ever want in a camera if you're not a full frame professional user. This next camera that Olympus is set to unleash in the spring will be the epic camera to end all cameras, certainly all crop sensor DSLRs.

Don't get ahead of yourself.

Every new camera is deemed (marketed) to be the "epic camera to end all cameras", and it never really happens.

...and we are not all awaiting the fall of any manufacturer. They all have a purpose, and strengths. APS-C may look long in the tooth, but I'd rather let nature take its course than wish damnation on any particular company.

micronean's gear list:micronean's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
lighthunter80
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
In reply to micronean, Jan 29, 2013

I use both. A full frame Canon and good L glas and now after 1.5 years Fuji X100 I picked up an E-PL5 plus 17/45 1.8

I think both systems complement each other. The thing is that the Pen will never give me the DOV I get from my 50 1.2 lens. There is just no comparison to this 'pop' effect of this lens and a full frame sensor.

However, for may applications the Pen is enough or even better. E.g. street is perfect with the Pen. The DSLR will still be my go to camera for any portrait work. The Pen would be more like a travel companion.

lighthunter80's gear list:lighthunter80's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Olympus PEN E-P5 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +7 more
Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,161
lol. 1" sensor is to m4/3 what m4/3 is to apsc

Same (fallacious) argument applies and will continue ad nauseum as sensor technology continues its progression.

ravinj
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list

Airless wrote:

M43 is so close to dealing the final death blow to the Canikon Colossus, it is just one perfectly, godly, unstoppable camera away from obsoleting all crop DSLRs in one fell swoop. All that is needed is a slightly redesigned OM-D E-M6 with real PDAF and wifi, and that will be the end of DX and APS-C forever. The new Epson EVF will surely blow away the inferior OVFs, M4/3 already has more and better lenses than DX, is more portable and has faster-advancing technology, looks cooler, pretty much everything a person could ever want in a camera if you're not a full frame professional user. This next camera that Olympus is set to unleash in the spring will be the epic camera to end all cameras, certainly all crop sensor

For APS-C DSLRs, yes you are close to the truth - they may not become obsolete, but certainly sales are being impacted. I can see Panasonic and Olympus stepping up in the MFT lens area with quite decent entries recently, so that is a good sign. Companies like Sigma have also realized MFT's market penetration and today's announcement of a new 35MM lens is a good sign.

However, there is a dearth of good MFT lenses at a reasonable price compared to the excellent offerings by Canon/Nikon for their APS-C DSLR and this alone may be a reason to stick to them.

Prices of FF DSLRs have fallen to a point where a serious amateur with a bit of cash looking at DSLRs should probably skip APS-C DSLR and move straight onto FF. This is another hit to the crop DSLR. Exception being if someone is looking for a crop to specifically get more tele range.

For APS-C sensor, however it will most likely stay - my Nex-C3 (now sold) was way ahead in IQ and low light compared to the latest 4/3rds. 5N even better. Sensor size matters. Let us not even talk about FF here.

As impressive as OM-D and the latest 4/3 lenses are, there is still a long road ahead. Buying OM-D and decent lens set at current market prices takes you in the FF price territory, so that is a challenge for MFT. Some people may care enough about the size to pay for MFT.

In the end, all systems will survive, only some will sell much more than others. Mirrorless is here to stay for the long haul. Some folks will still stick to APS-C DSLR bodies for things like ergonomics, robust body, OVF or simply having an investment in lenses.

ravinj's gear list:ravinj's gear list
Leica S2 Sony Alpha 7 Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
In reply to Lucas McDonald, Jan 29, 2013

Lucas McDonald wrote:

I would not touch anything he is smoking , the after affects of losing brains cells is very alarming .

Yes, but he is flying high 

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

TheBeard
Regular MemberPosts: 100
In reply to rrr_hhh, Jan 29, 2013

Bath Salts anyone?

seanmcd
Forum MemberPosts: 79

There there, show me on the doll where the Crop DSLR hurt you buddy.

Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Huh???
In reply to nzmacro, Jan 29, 2013

nzmacro wrote:

Airless wrote:

LOL

Where do these ideas come from. m4/3 does not have one single decent fixed nature shooting lens, same for sports.

Birds and macro. NEX and m4/3
http://www.birdsinaction.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nzmacro/

This one works pretty well for nature! 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/301933-REG/Olympus_261004_300mm_f_2_8_ED_Lens.html

We will see if Olympus can follow through with their plan to get the SHG lenses to focus quickly on M43 cameras this year.   If not then they will have a much longer way to go. You are right that they need these to work as well as the APSC DSLRs before we can talk about replacing them, but it is nice Olympus has a stable of superb lenses waiting.

I just read a few more reviews and those F/2 zooms (although very expensive) are some of the best lenses out there.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/404517-REG/Olympus_261012_35_100mm_f_2_0_ED_Zuiko.html

baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,028Gear list
In reply to Abrak, Jan 29, 2013

Abrak wrote:

Whatever you are smoking - can I have some too?

It must be some leftover circuit board cleaner wafting out of his new EPL5. Step away from it for a few days, and clear thinking returns.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
wildlifr
Contributing MemberPosts: 788Gear list
Re: LOL, sure
In reply to nzmacro, Jan 29, 2013

Agreed, I think the m4/3 system has the potential to be a very competent wildlife system, even with the poor continuous autofocus (although that also hampers the situation). But not until someone comes out with a native, fast tele lens.

wildlifr's gear list:wildlifr's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +1 more
nzmacro
Re: Huh???
In reply to Just Having Fun, Jan 29, 2013

Well thats the first time I've actually seen that lens in stock   Normally its by order only. Well thats one down if they make it so you don't need an adaptor for m4/3. Not sure on that focus speed otherwise.

Then there is this one

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourthirds/telephoto.html#i_090-250mm_f028_olympus

And this one could be useful

http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/lenses/150_20/

Then throw in a 400 F/5.6 and it starts to get interesting. Lets hope we are still around to see it, well me at least.

In the mean time on a GH3, MF will be fine

All the best.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Re: Popcorn anyone? (nt)
In reply to papillon_65, Jan 29, 2013

might be a good idea, might stop me from opening my big gob

-- hide signature --

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads