Sigma launches new ART versions of their 30mm and 19mm f2.8 and new 60mm f2.8 lenses

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions
John Romas
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Sigma launches new ART versions of their 30mm and 19mm f2.8 and new 60mm f2.8 lenses
Jan 29, 2013

As Mirrorless Rumors reported Sigma launched new ART versions of their E-Mount lenses.

Quote:

"The 60mm F2.8 DN lens is entirely new to the Sigma lineup, while the 30mm F1.4 DC HSM and the 30mm F2.8 DN and 19mm F2.8 DN lenses are existing focal lengths that have been redesigned with enhanced optical performance and included as part of Sigma’s new Global Vision category restructuring. All three DN lenses incorporate telecentric optical designs and a linear, auto focusing motor that ensures accurate and quiet focusing for video recording. They also boast metal exteriors and a simply shaped focus ring, with varying textures to distinguish each part of the lens. In addition, DN users can choose between a black or silver finish to match their favorite equipment.

60mm F2.8 DN- Featuring the natural perspective of mid-range telephoto lenses, together with a shallow depth of field, this lens allows the photographer to capture a single part of a subject with great bokeh effects. It has an angle of view equivalent to 120mm on the Micro Four Thirds system and 90mm on the E-mount system (35mm equivalent focal length). The minimum focusing distance is 19.7 inches; the maximum magnification is 1:7.2. This lens also contains Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass, which helps minimize axial and transverse chromatic aberration.
· Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN – This high-performance, wide-angle telephoto lens has an angle of view equivalent to 38mm on the Micro Four Thirds system and 28.5mm on the E-mount system (35mm equivalent focal length). As a wide-angle lens with excellent mobility, it is ideal for studio photography, architecture and starry skies. Its minimum focusing distance is 7.9 inches and its maximum magnification is 1:7.4.
· Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN – This high-performance, standard telephoto lens has an angle of view equivalent to 60mm on the Micro Four Thirds system and 45mm on the E-mount system (35mm equivalent focal length). This lens, which is perfect for casual and formal portraiture, documentary photography, travelogues and everyday shooting, includes a double-sided aspherical lens that enhances its optical performance. Its minimum focusing distance of 11.8 inches and its maximum magnification is 1:8.1.

Pricing and availability on all of these lenses has yet to be announced"

Now also on DPreview:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/29/Sigma-announces-60mm-F2-8-DN-lens-for-mirrorless-micro-four-thirds-and-sony-nex

Are you still interested in buying the old versions?

martindesu
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma launches new ART versions of their 30mm and 19mm f2.8 and new 60mm f2.8 lenses
In reply to John Romas, Jan 29, 2013

Great news, always welcome to hear about new lenses! (To silence the "NO LENSES ON NEX" crowd a little).

As for the "old" lenses, well, they didn't just get worse, did they?

They're fantastic, and even better [value] when taking the price into consideration. I managed to swag a free 30mm E and am debating the 19mm E. So I will check to see the price and output on the new one before making a decision.

martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
j450n74y
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma launches new ART versions of their 30mm and 19mm f2.8 and new 60mm f2.8 lenses

hmm same same but in metal?

j450n74y's gear list:j450n74y's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Sony Alpha NEX-6
martindesu
Like?
In reply to j450n74y, Jan 29, 2013

j450n74y wrote:

Seems so .

Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,037Gear list
Like?

The press release reads as if only the 30mm f/1.4 DC lens has enhanced optical performance, implying that the DN lenses do not have a change in their IQ.

But enhanced QA, metal cladding, new texture and better focusing ring all sounds great. And choice in back or silver now that it is clad in metal and not in plastic. Video optimized (silent AF now), but no OSS.

The new 60mm/2.8 sounds great, but bokeh should trail the 50/1.8 lens, I think.

I think that the old 19 & 30mm currently priced at half off (or at 1/3rd of MSRP) are an absolute steal, so yes, I'd still purchase the previous model. In fact, I just ordered another set (to give away).

I am guessing that the new prices for the DN lenses will be increased, from the $199 to $249 or so.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
martindesu
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Jan 29, 2013

I'm going this weekend, so I will ask them all about the lenses

DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,790Gear list
Like?

It seems like the Sigma 30mm EX DN ART has a bayonet mount for a hood now.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
j450n74y
Like?
In reply to DtEW, Jan 29, 2013

wont be surprised it the new 30/19 be >$300 given the new brass and better 'build'...

if thats the case.. thanks but no thanks. have got the 19 and 30 already ..and if anything i'll be looking at the sony 35 ... if i didn't have the 19/30mm..i think the current prices are an absolute bargain and would rather get those..

i was hoping for a faster 19/30mm and one that came under the sony 35mm pricing..but ahhh wells.

DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,790Gear list
Like?

j450n74y wrote:

wont be surprised it the new 30/19 be >$300 given the new brass and better 'build'...

I would actually expect it to go back to the original MSRP of $250/each.  They have pricing pressure on the Sony side.

Truth be told as much as this is a non-exciting thing for photography enthusiasts, it's a smart thing for Sigma to move the look-and-feel of the EX DN upscale.  There are plenty of people who are fair-weather, good-light shooters that aren't trying to eek out the max they can get from a NEX.  Hell, Sony originally thought that was the primary demographic of the NEX (and it may very well still be, but obviously not here on DPR).

An inexpensive-but-sharp lens that feels good in the hand, looks snazzy on the camera, and hangs lightly on the neck is what a lot of lifestyle shooters would appreciate.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
jeep
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?

But no optical stabilisation, which would have been a nice addition for an upgrade, especially on the 60mm. Interested to see the price point on these lenses against the existing 19 and 30mm versions, the new 30mm will have to go some to beat the existing version.

j450n74y
Like?
In reply to DtEW, Jan 29, 2013

Haha those would go for the hassleblad nex 7!

Lets see what price points these come in at. I'm suspecting higher than the original just based on "material costs"

007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,239Gear list
Like?
Struggle to Reason why anyone would want a 60mm f/2.8, when a 50mm f/1.8 is cheaper

I welcome these new sigma with open arms.....but

I have a hard time think of a shooting situation which would justify buying Sigma 60mm f/2.8 over Sony 50mm f/1.8???

When I had Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 on my Canon DSLR. I shot almost exclusively at either 28mm or 75mm - and truth be told - even 75mm often feel a tad short, wishing it was a 100mm f/2.8 instead.

For my shooting style, a 60mm would become a NEITHER-HERE-NOR-THERE kind of lens.  I cannot think of any shooting situation to justify its existence or price tag.....assuming it cost more than $300 by its new metal build

=======

On the other hand.....the new Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART has me drooling. Why can't Sigma just remake this lens into a Mirrorless one? It would easily become my favorite lens.

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
willym
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Like?
Re: Struggle to Reason why anyone would want a 60mm f/2.8, when a 50mm f/1.8 is cheaper
In reply to 007peter, Jan 29, 2013

Yeah, you make a good point.

Add to that the rumour of Sony bringing out an 85mm f1.8 and this 60mm Sigma seems even more questionable.

Let's at least hope it has a competitive price

willym's gear list:willym's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +4 more
tharwan
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Re: Struggle to Reason why anyone would want a 60mm f/2.8, when a 50mm f/1.8 is cheaper

007peter wrote:

On the other hand.....the new Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART has me drooling. Why can't Sigma just remake this lens into a Mirrorless one? It would easily become my favorite lens.

Judging from the comments all over the internet, it would be for a lot of people. Maybe someone should tell Sigma…

spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 949
Like?

I think it is a nice touch coming out with 60mm, which gives a nice 90mm FF fov (close to the nice 85mm fov). It will distinguish itself from the SEL50 and the upcoming Zeiss 50mm Macro.

If it had been a stop faster and with Sigma's OIS, then it would have been a no brainer for me.

spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 949
Like?
In reply to tharwan, Jan 29, 2013

tharwan wrote:

007peter wrote:

Judging from the comments all over the internet, it would be for a lot of people. Maybe someone should tell Sigma…

Perhaps because it is very big (62mm filter thread) and would become a littler more expensive then the SEL35/1.8 OSS.

I wouldn't mind an E-mount version of it, as I think that the SEL24, Sig30/1.4 and SEL35 would a very nice part of a primes set for the NEX, rivalling the other systems.

tharwan
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
In reply to spacemn, Jan 29, 2013

spacemn wrote:

tharwan wrote:

007peter wrote:

Perhaps because it is very big (62mm filter thread) and would become a littler more expensive then the SEL35/1.8 OSS.

I wouldn't mind an E-mount version of it, as I think that the SEL24, Sig30/1.4 and SEL35 would a very nice part of a primes set for the NEX, rivalling the other systems.

I think the excitement is mainly about a fast prime lens around 30mm (shorter than 35mm), not about specifically having a 1.4 apeture, meaning the E-Mount version could be smaller.

I believe it is not really easy to build a mirror-less version of an existing dslr lens because of the short distance between sensor and mount, at least if one does not simply add a tube to the end of the lens to compensate for that. So that Sigma would have to build a more or less new lens which might take more time.

kev777zero
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?

At first when I saw the 60mm f/2.8 lens I thought wow, a nice portrait prime! But then there's the SEL50F18 which has OSS. The only thing the 60mm wins at is a minutely better FOV. And since the SEL50 is $300, I can't see the Sigma being any more appealing even if it were same price as the previous Sigma E-mount lenses ($199).

The other two lenses seem to be cosmetic updates; They were both sharp enough to begin with and at half the price.

Somehow I don't think Sigma is taking E-mount seriously enough. Making a 30mm f/1.4 or 105mm f/2.8 Macro for E-mount would've shown their commitment.

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Runnicle
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?

Sigma's choices of 19mm, 30mm and 60mm focal lengths make more sense to me when I think about what must have been their major considerations/constraints of design:

1) not to duplicate FL of existing/planned Sony e-mount lenses such as 16mm, 20mm, 24mm, 35mm and 50mm, all but one of which are faster than the f2.8 max aperture of Sigma's lenses;

2) single lens design to fit both mirrorless systems, one with 2x and the other with 1.5x crop factor--hence 60mm rather than 75mm because latter FL would have been "too long" for a portraiture lens in m4/3 mount;

3) single lens design for both mirrorless systems again helps explain why no optical stabilization...because at least one of the major m4/3 camera lines (Olympus) already has in-body stabilization.

Runnicle's gear list:Runnicle's gear list
Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Sony SLT-A57 +5 more
KM Legacy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,955
Like?

also boast metal exteriors and a simply shaped focus ring, with varying textures to distinguish each part of the lens.

There is no knurled metal or rubber ring visible to focus with. The entire barrel looks smooth, so where is the "varying texture?"

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads