Nikon Coolscan LS 4000 Cleaning/Servicing

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions
naturadesigns
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Nikon Coolscan LS 4000 Cleaning/Servicing
Jan 28, 2013

I have just acquired a Coolscan 4000. It appears to be in proper working order but has a fair amount of dust inside the case. I am having difficulty finding someone here in the Seattle Area, or anywhere for that matter to service this machine.

After a call to Nikon today I am further concerned to hear that Nikon no longer will have anything to do with this scanner. No parts available, No service available. WOW!

I need...

The name of an experienced and reliable tech to service this scanner

and, DIY instructions specifically for this model.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,716Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon Coolscan LS 4000 Cleaning/Servicing
In reply to naturadesigns, Jan 30, 2013

Maybe contact Glazer Cameras and see if they recommend anyone.  Pretty poor treatment on Nikons part.

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kevin O'Neil
Regular MemberPosts: 332Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dave Luttmann, Feb 2, 2013

Dave -

The Coolscan 4000 was introduced in 2001. The last firmware update was in 2003.  Nikon's published support for equipment is 10 years, so I am not surprised that Nikon will not service the scanner.

Many scanner companies stop supporting their older scanner products in the PC line when Microsoft introduced Vista.  Again, this was not Nikon's fault, but rather the fault of Microsoft that the older drivers would not work under Vista without work-arounds.

I use a Coolscan 4000 and I am using Windows 7 64bit. It took a lot of research to get this to work when I went from XP.  It never occurred to me to blame Nikon, given the age of the scanner.  In fact, I have been very impressed that the scanner still gives me excellent scans after all of these years.  How many computer peripherals do you have that are 10 years old and still working?

As to the original request, it might be better to test the scanner to see if it works with your computer platform before having it serviced.  There is a lot of info on the web.  Also, the drivers and the manual are available on the Nikon support website.  Here is the manual:

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/scanners/LS4000_40_en.pdf

Good luck with your new scanner.

-- hide signature --

Kevin O'Neil
www.Eastern-Light.com (Under Re-Construction)

Kevin O'Neil's gear list:Kevin O'Neil's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +15 more
Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,716Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kevin O'Neil, Feb 3, 2013

Kevin O'Neil wrote:

Dave -

The Coolscan 4000 was introduced in 2001. The last firmware update was in 2003. Nikon's published support for equipment is 10 years, so I am not surprised that Nikon will not service the scanner.

Many scanner companies stop supporting their older scanner products in the PC line when Microsoft introduced Vista. Again, this was not Nikon's fault, but rather the fault of Microsoft that the older drivers would not work under Vista without work-arounds.

I use a Coolscan 4000 and I am using Windows 7 64bit. It took a lot of research to get this to work when I went from XP. It never occurred to me to blame Nikon, given the age of the scanner. In fact, I have been very impressed that the scanner still gives me excellent scans after all of these years. How many computer peripherals do you have that are 10 years old and still working?

As to the original request, it might be better to test the scanner to see if it works with your computer platform before having it serviced. There is a lot of info on the web. Also, the drivers and the manual are available on the Nikon support website. Here is the manual:

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/scanners/LS4000_40_en.pdf

Good luck with your new scanner.

-- hide signature --

Kevin O'Neil
www.Eastern-Light.com (Under Re-Construction)

It's not the fact the scanner isn't supported...it's the attitude Nikon gave.

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
naturadesigns
Like?
In reply to Dave Luttmann, Feb 4, 2013

I'm with you Dave. It's Nikon's attitude that is bothersome. 
Luckily the software is not the issue here. VueScan works better than the original Coolscan software ever did, and on all platforms.

again what I need...
The name of an experienced and reliable tech to service this scanner and, DIY instructions to preform an optics cleaning specifically for this model.

I tried a referral from Glazer Cameras here in Seattle and they were unfortunately of little help.
I also talked to Photo-tronics who was unwilling to give me a straightforward quote for my very specific request to clean the optics, which is clearly the issue.

Michael G2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,102
Like?
Re: Nikon Coolscan LS 5000 online cleaning instructions
In reply to naturadesigns, Feb 8, 2013

There are several online instructions for cleaning it yourself. I did mine a few years ago.

http://www.pearsonimaging.com/articles/howto/ls5000cleaning.html

jbenton11
Like?
In reply to naturadesigns, Apr 4, 2013

I've had outstanding repair service on my Nikon LS-4000 from Alex Ketzner in Missouri. His email is abstudios@centurytel.net. I can't recommend him highly enough for several very good reasons: 1) I've searched high and low and he offers the ONLY Nikon Coolscan 4000 repair service I could find anywhere in the United States. (Nikon doesn't do it, and they don't even have the parts, Alex does have parts in stock) 2) his pricing is very reasonable. 3) the results I've had after he serviced my scanner have been flawless. 4) Excellent customer service.

By the way, trying to load the Nikon Scan software on a Windows 7 machine is tricky at best. If you want something easy to install and run, use Vuescan. It's every bit as good as the Nikon Scan, easiier to configure and use, and gives quality results. Try the trial version, which is free. You'll really like it, and all things considered, it's a terrific buy for the money.

BradJ
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
In reply to jbenton11, Jun 1, 2013

I also highly recommend Alex Ketzner - his service is amazing.

I shipped my Nikon 4000 ED (LS 4000) to him yesterday, he received it today, sent me an email at 3:20 PM with "first impressions" and sample "before scans", worked on it until 7:43 PM when he sent me another email stating the service was completed along with a full report, photos of affected parts, and before-and-after image scan samples.  He also sent a tracking number for the shipment back to me.

Les _
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to jbenton11, Jul 15, 2013

Here's another vote for Alex Ketzner for Nikon scanner repair. His email is abstudios@centurytel.net

My Coolscan 4000ED began intermittently turning off by itself a couple of weeks ago. As it happened, I had a trip through MO planned and arranged to drop my scanner off in person.

Alex has a large inventory of Nikon scanners and parts. He spent a number of hours duplicating and diagnosing the problem (bad power switch board), repaired, and cleaned my scanner over a long weekend - allowing for me to pick it up on my return trip home.

Outstanding customer service.  I highly recommend him.

mrlnavy
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?
In reply to Les _, 4 months ago

Does anyone know if Mr Ketzner is still in the business of fixing LS 4000's? I've tried the  e-mail shown. I have one to fix. As others have reported, there seems to be no one else that is able or willing to repair these units.

thanks--
mrlnavy

f8BeThereToo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,246
Like?
In reply to mrlnavy, 4 months ago

mrlnavy wrote:

Does anyone know if Mr Ketzner is still in the business of fixing LS 4000's? I've tried the e-mail shown. I have one to fix. As others have reported, there seems to be no one else that is able or willing to repair these units.

thanks--
mrlnavy

Here is a phone number for his studio found via an Internet search: (417) 284-7304. Hopefully he has simply changed his email address and the phone number will still be good… Let us know how it turns out so future searches for this info will help others needing to repair a Coolscan.

lsteyn
Like?
In reply to f8BeThereToo, 3 months ago

I exchanged emails with Alex this afternoon and he is still in the business of servicing these units.

I will be sending my LS-4000 in for a clean and repair as it has started to sporadically error out on me lately.

His contact email where I reached him is still abstudios at centurytel dot net.

madprofab
Like?
In reply to jbenton11, 3 weeks ago

Alex just completed repairing another Nikon Scanner for me and I highly recommend him also!

But he informed me that he is closed for September as he relocates to FL to help his aging parents.

I thought you guys might like his new contact info.

His new email is:

abstudios@live.com

Best wishes to him and his family.

I/we need his ongoing expertise and excellent services to keep our Nikon scanners running smoothly.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads