Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions
wint
Regular MemberPosts: 283Gear list
Like?
Why I'm wondering to switch to Canon after my experience with D600 + 24-70mm
Jan 28, 2013

I was reading this huge thread about switching to Canon:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3370016

I am relatively new to the Nikon but I had some unpleasant experiences that are making me think about trying Canon. I'll list:

1) The issue of oil / dust on the sensor. It's pretty clear to anyone who bought the D600 that will have to live with it forever. I do not want a camera that requires much maintenance.

2) I had problems with SD card slot 2 on my D600. It just was not recognizing the card until I played with a key there and somehow allow the contact.

3) I bought a used 24-70mm. I know that was a mistake. But served to find out how many problems has this essential Nikkor lens: Zoom ring rubber loosing , "stiff" zoom and I'm still discovering more.

4) There are a lot of people that complain abot the colors Nikon cameras produces. I always thought the colors from Canon are more vivid, but I thought it was my mind. But recently I saw a lot of people drawing attention to it. So it's not just me.

It is clear to me that Nikon has a serious problem with the QC.
If it is clear to me that the 5D markIII gives me better IQ, AF, Colors, HIGH ISO, Radio Flashes etc, today for $ 800 more, I think, for FF beginners like me it is worth investing in Canon.

wint's gear list:wint's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +4 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mbernard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,073
Like?
Re: Why I'm wondering to switch to Canon after my experience with D600 + 24-70mm
In reply to wint, Jan 28, 2013

Each system has its drawbacks. Buying a SH lens is always risky.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,096Gear list
Like?
Ok.

Good luck.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
b33g33
Senior MemberPosts: 1,070Gear list
Like?
Hope it works out for you. NT
-- hide signature --

What you know imprisons you

b33g33's gear list:b33g33's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
lordbeau
Senior MemberPosts: 1,232
Like?
Re: Why I'm wondering to switch to Canon after my experience with D600 + 24-70mm

I'm planning to miss out the middle man - in other words, probably switch to Canon and get a 6D rather than risk D600 or D800.

rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,507Gear list
Like?

wint wrote:

4) There are a lot of people that complain abot the colors Nikon cameras produces. I always thought the colors from Canon are more vivid, but I thought it was my mind. But recently I saw a lot of people drawing attention to it. So it's not just me.

I don't buy that. Colors tend to be a subjective thing. More objective measurements show no more color shifts on Nikons than on other cameras.

If it is clear to me that the 5D markIII gives me better IQ, AF, Colors, HIGH ISO, Radio Flashes etc, today for $ 800 more, I think, for FF beginners like me it is worth investing in Canon.

5D3 is a very good camera, but I doubt it'll beat a D600 or a D800 in all those departments.

Anyway, it's just a camera, try it and if you like it more than the D600, why not?

-- hide signature --

Renato. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/ OnExposure member http://www.onexposure.net/ Good shooting and good luck (after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
John Motts
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,018
Like?

wint wrote:

I am relatively new to the Nikon but I had some unpleasant experiences that are making me think about trying Canon. I'll list:

1) The issue of oil / dust on the sensor. It's pretty clear to anyone who bought the D600 that will have to live with it forever. I do not want a camera that requires much maintenance.

You don't have to live with it for ever. Most say that it goes away after a while.

2) I had problems with SD card slot 2 on my D600. It just was not recognizing the card until I played with a key there and somehow allow the contact.

3) I bought a used 24-70mm. I know that was a mistake. But served to find out how many problems has this essential Nikkor lens: Zoom ring rubber loosing , "stiff" zoom and I'm still discovering more.

There are just as many problems with the Canon 24-70 (except maybe the new model which is horrendously expensive). Buying used is a risk with any brand. I was less than impressed with Canon service when I had issues with a 24-105 and they sent my lens back in a totally unuseable state. I personally have great confidence in the Nikon 24-70 lens - it's absolutely superb.

4) There are a lot of people that complain abot the colors Nikon cameras produces. I always thought the colors from Canon are more vivid, but I thought it was my mind. But recently I saw a lot of people drawing attention to it. So it's not just me.

The colours either camera produce are up to you. Personally I get gorgeous colours from Nikon.

It isn't clear to me. There are plenty who consider the high ISO of the Nikons to be superior, they just don't use such strong noise reduction as the Canon. Personally I think the Nikon sensors are better than the Canon, but each to their own.

Just saying one brand is better than another is unrealistic.

b33g33
Senior MemberPosts: 1,070Gear list
Like?
This may help ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtvX5pDxXiE

-- hide signature --

What you know imprisons you

b33g33's gear list:b33g33's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
wint
Like?
In reply to rhlpetrus, Jan 28, 2013

rhlpetrus wrote:

wint wrote:

I don't buy that. Colors tend to be a subjective thing. More objective measurements show no more color shifts on Nikons than on other cameras.

5D3 is a very good camera, but I doubt it'll beat a D600 or a D800 in all those departments.

Anyway, it's just a camera, try it and if you like it more than the D600, why not?

-- hide signature --

Renato. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/ OnExposure member http://www.onexposure.net/ Good shooting and good luck (after Ed Murrow)

Yes. I won't give up from Nikon. I'll just buy a 5DmarkIII 24-105 f4 to make tests and compare for my own taste. That's saying about IQ, colors, ergonomics, features etc but about QC I'm sure Canon is better nowadays.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +4 more
afterburn
Contributing MemberPosts: 807Gear list
Like?
Are you a jpeg shooter?

Canon and Nikon do differ in how they present photos and colors in their default settings. However, this is essentially only relevant if you shoot jpeg and depend on the engine in the camera.

If you shoot raw, like you probably should with a D600 or D800 (unless you have specific reasons not to, i.e. press photogs generally shoot jpeg for speed in getting them to their publishers), how your photos look is completely up to you. I recently came from Canon to Nikon and my raw workflow is entirely in LR4 and have no issue making either brand looking like I want to have them look. Your photos should look the way you want them to look, not how Nikon or Canon want them to look.

-- hide signature --

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800

afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Apple Aperture +2 more
AndrewNewYork
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?

I don’t use FX. I am happy with DX. But you bring up an interesting point.  Thom Hogan talked about QC issues on his blog.  Take a look at Jan 23 commentary about Reikan. It is about AF issues.

http://bythom.com/

AndrewNewYork's gear list:AndrewNewYork's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +6 more
wint
Like?
In reply to AndrewNewYork, Jan 28, 2013

AndrewNewYork wrote:

I don’t use FX. I am happy with DX. But you bring up an interesting point. Thom Hogan talked about QC issues on his blog. Take a look at Jan 23 commentary about Reikan. It is about AF issues.

http://bythom.com/

Yes. My primary concern is about QC. All others details are secondary for me.

Richard3
Regular MemberPosts: 246
Like?

So sell your gear and move on . No one cares if you go to Canon or not , you do not need our approval go somewhere else there is enough noise on this forum already and you just add more .

Edited by moderator to remove abusive language

wint
Like?
In reply to Richard3, Jan 28, 2013

Richard3 wrote:

So sell your gear and move on . No one cares if you go to Canon or not , we are not your wife go bitch somewhere else there is enough useless crap on this forum already and you just add more crap .

A response of this rude? Go away you!
99% of people here are well educated and want to help. You're an exception and sucks!

glo
glo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,080Gear list
Like?

With all due respect, you are wrong with your analysis on a number of things you said, but since you have the right to express your opinion and spend your money any way you wish, best of luck with the Canon brand. Until you have more experience at photography and better understand how the equipment is supposed to work, you'll likely be complaining about your gear no matter what brand it is.

glo

glo's gear list:glo's gear list
Nikon D3X Leica M-Monochrom Leica M Typ 240 Nikon D4s Nikon D810 +1 more
ageha
Contributing MemberPosts: 651Gear list
Like?
Nothing new here...

wint wrote:

3) I bought a used 24-70mm. I know that was a mistake. But served to find out how many problems has this essential Nikkor lens: Zoom ring rubber loosing , "stiff" zoom and I'm still discovering more.

You won't be happy with Canon either.

ageha's gear list:ageha's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 +17 more
lera ion
Regular MemberPosts: 149Gear list
Like?

wint wrote:

No bad ideas. When you came back to Nikon!

lera ion's gear list:lera ion's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D600 +1 more
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,729
Like?
In reply to wint, Jan 29, 2013

That's circumstantially ...  Do not switch .

-- hide signature --

Regards.

wint
Like?
In reply to glo, Jan 29, 2013

glo wrote:

With all due respect, you are wrong with your analysis on a number of things you said, but since you have the right to express your opinion and spend your money any way you wish, best of luck with the Canon brand. Until you have more experience at photography and better understand how the equipment is supposed to work, you'll likely be complaining about your gear no matter what brand it is.

glo

Could you explain please? I want to hear more from you.

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,729Gear list
Like?
In reply to wint, Jan 29, 2013

I was recently in a large camera shop and I brought up the QC problems Nikon has been having with D800 and D600. The salesman brushed it off saying all the camera makers have had their problems over time and all handled it the same way. He rattled off some examples from Canon.

At the moment though there seems to be very few QC complaints about recent Canon cameras and a lot of noise about the Nikon D600 oil/dust and D800 leftmost AF. D800 seems to have been sorted. D600 not yet but no doubt is being worked on behind the scenes. Not very reassuring though if you were about to buy one.

I was lucky, my D800E is perfect and I am very happy to have it as its the best out there for image quality at this time. I also like the ergonomics, menus and the depth of the features the camera has.

In particular I like the time lapse functions and the see in the dark AF system plus the really low noise high ISO performance. Its outstandingly good.

Greg.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads