Advice on panorama software

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Questions
cquarksnow
Regular MemberPosts: 364Gear list
Like?
Advice on panorama software
Jan 28, 2013

I'd like to stitch 2 or 3 DP1M pictures together (buildings or apartment pictures), so as to achieve wider angle. I tried to use the feature in Zoner15, but it could not even match zones and the interface is cumbersome, so I wonder whether anyone has a recommendation, particularly the ability to save in 16bpc, at least *.png  or *.tif and maybe jpeg-xr.

I am running Windows and performance is not an issue for me.

Chris

cquarksnow's gear list:cquarksnow's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill
ANSWER:
Sigma DP1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mmr
mmr
Contributing MemberPosts: 680Gear list
Like?
Re: Advice on panorama software
In reply to cquarksnow, Jan 28, 2013

Try Hugin.  It's free, and it seems to work very well.

Hugin.sourceforge.net

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
idillic
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
In reply to mmr, Jan 28, 2013

Or Microsift Ice.  It is free and very good.  I use that & PT Gui (which I bought).

idillic's gear list:idillic's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax 645D Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +8 more
cquarksnow
Regular MemberPosts: 364Gear list
Like?
In reply to idillic, Jan 28, 2013

I'll try both. Thanks so much.

Chris

cquarksnow's gear list:cquarksnow's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill
mike earussi
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,745
Like?

ICE is nice. Fast, free and easy.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Usee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,517Gear list
Like?

3 DP1s shots stitched with PanoramaStudio and with less artifacts than with ICE, Hugin, or PTGui

In most Panorama pictures I see on the web...

...including those which are shown in this very forum,

I almost always see strong artifacts - try to find them within my PanoramaStudio Pro example...

...within the original in my gallery - not within the resized versions shown here - which have lot's of artifacts.

-

P.S.:

A little explanation is given in the gallery for the best output out of 8 panorama programs!

-- hide signature --

Envy is the highest form of recognition.
Stop to run, start to think.
Think twice - that doubles the fun!
Your world is as big, as Your mind.
Avoid to have only one point of view!
Uli

Laurence Matson
Forum ProPosts: 11,196Gear list
Like?
Where is the advice?
In reply to Usee, Jan 28, 2013

Usee wrote:

3 DP1s shots stitched with PanoramaStudio and with less artifacts than with ICE, Hugin, or PTGui

I almost always see strong artifacts - try to find them within my PanoramaStudio Pro example...

...within the original in my gallery - not within the resized versions shown here - which have lot's of artifacts.

-

P.S.:

A little explanation is given in the gallery for the best output out of 8 panorama programs!

-- hide signature --

Uli

-- hide signature --

Laurence
laurence at appledore-farm dot com
Sometimes, life is going to hit you with a brick. Don't lose faith.
Steve Jobs
http://www.pbase.com/lmatson
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr
http://www.howardmyerslaw.com

Usee
Like?
Re: Where is the advice? In the signature... ...try PanoramaStudio Pro to widen Your horizon!
In reply to Laurence Matson, Jan 28, 2013

Laurence Matson wrote:

Usee wrote:

-

P.S.:

-- hide signature --

Uli

Remember my signature:

A little POV - do U see the ship in the middle of this picture?

-

The advice could be to test several different panorama software including PanoramaStudio Pro - couldn't it?

P.S.:

Has Sigma a new R&D chief?

...remember a forum rule...

Laurence Matson
Like?
Re: Where is the advice? In the signature... ...try PanoramaStudio Pro to widen Your horizon!

Kein Grund zur Rage.

"A little explanation is given in the gallery for the best output out of 8 panorama programs!"

hiess für mich: 8 Programme getestet usw.

Hast du schon Panorama Pro getest?

LG

L

Usee wrote:

Laurence Matson wrote:

Usee wrote:

-

P.S.:

-- hide signature --

Uli

Remember my signature:

A little POV - do U see the ship in the middle of this picture?

-

The advice could be to test several different panorama software including PanoramaStudio Pro - couldn't it?

P.S.:

Has Sigma a new R&D chief?

...remember a forum rule...

-- hide signature --

Laurence
Steve Jobs

Usee
Like?
In reply to Laurence Matson, Jan 28, 2013

...have You a link to a free trial version of the Panorama Pro version You mean, so that I can see, wether I already tried this version and more important - that the thread starter can test it?

...remember, I don't asked for that advice because I already bought PanoramaStudio Pro and I am satisfied with it - however, I appreciate valid suggestions...

...I just gave the (wanted) advice to test the mentioned software by himself, because I was most satisfied with it in my test - If I would have the need to perform a test today with the latest versions and additional software choices on different targets, I would do it - but I don't have the need - however, the thread starter seems to have that need, so You probably should give him Your advice / suggestions.

-- hide signature --

Uli

Laurence Matson
Like?

Uli,

I really think you are misunderstanding me and blowing something completely out of proportion.

I interpreted from your original post that you had your thoughts (advice) about different pano software packages somewhere in your gallery. I looked for that and could not find it. So I asked: "Where is the advice?" That is all. End of story.

I don't doubt that you tried that software and many others. I don't doubt that you got good results from Panorama Pro. (Although, it is a little hard to really see how good or bad it is from the small pano posted.)

If I were to dispute (Konjunktiv II) anything, it is your claim that all of the other programs produce panos with artifacts. That has not been my experience. My experience is that each package has some real strengths, and I play to that depending on what I am trying to do. Some produce artifacts, but are great for handling really huge files. And certainly, ICE would not be my first or even last choice for a pano, which is what you were responding to.

I have not used Panorama Pro in ages, so I downloaded it to try again.

LG (wirklich)

L

Usee wrote:

...have You a link to a free trial version of the Panorama Pro version You mean, so that I can see, wether I already tried this version and more important - that the thread starter can test it?

...remember, I don't asked for that advice because I already bought PanoramaStudio Pro and I am satisfied with it - however, I appreciate valid suggestions...

...I just gave the (wanted) advice to test the mentioned software by himself, because I was most satisfied with it in my test - If I would have the need to perform a test today with the latest versions and additional software choices on different targets, I would do it - but I don't have the need - however, the thread starter seems to have that need, so You probably should give him Your advice / suggestions.

-- hide signature --

Uli

-- hide signature --

Laurence
Steve Jobs

mike earussi
Like?

Usee wrote:

-

P.S.:

-- hide signature --

Uli

At your suggestion I downloaded Panorama Studio Pro and tried it on a pano I was having trouble rendering correctly in ICE. I do find it relatively easier to use than  some of the other "professional" pano stitching programs I've tried, thought not quite as easy to use as ICE. But unfortunately it still had trouble with my pano, having as many (though different), if not more, stitching errors than ICE. And so my search for the perfect stitching program continues.

Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,728Gear list
Like?

cquarksnow wrote:

I'd like to stitch 2 or 3 DP1M pictures together (buildings or apartment pictures), so as to achieve wider angle. I tried to use the feature in Zoner15, but it could not even match zones and the interface is cumbersome, so I wonder whether anyone has a recommendation, particularly the ability to save in 16bpc, at least *.png or *.tif and maybe jpeg-xr.

Chris

I use autopano pro. I like it.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,407Gear list
Like?
Same here, Autopano Pro
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Jan 28, 2013

Roland Karlsson wrote:

cquarksnow wrote:

I'd like to stitch 2 or 3 DP1M pictures together (buildings or apartment pictures), so as to achieve wider angle. I tried to use the feature in Zoner15, but it could not even match zones and the interface is cumbersome, so I wonder whether anyone has a recommendation, particularly the ability to save in 16bpc, at least *.png or *.tif and maybe jpeg-xr.

Chris

I was surprised no-one else had mentioned this earlier, I think Autopano Pro is really impressive   I had tried going the cheap route before but nothing seems to stich as well eliminating artifacts like Autopano Pro - and it's very configurable.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Laurence Matson
Like?
Re: Same here, Autopano Pro
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Jan 28, 2013

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

cquarksnow wrote:

Chris

I was surprised no-one else had mentioned this earlier, I think Autopano Pro is really impressive I had tried going the cheap route before but nothing seems to stich as well eliminating artifacts like Autopano Pro - and it's very configurable.

This is getting cozy. I also use the Kolor engine, but it is Autopano Giga for the larger panos. It works very well, but is a little bit fussy on the setup side.

-- hide signature --

Laurence
Steve Jobs

maple
Senior MemberPosts: 2,708
Like?
Happy user of Windows ICE here

I was a little concerned about the loss of sharpness and details that we are now used to from the DP*M’s. I tried a couple of pano’s yesterday. My worry is now relieved. there’s little, if at all, loss of IQ.

-- hide signature --

Maple

Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,701Gear list
Like?
Autopano Pro ....
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Jan 29, 2013

Is also my choice - used it for many years and have never been disappointed.

Lin

Roland Karlsson wrote:

cquarksnow wrote:

Chris

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Usee
Like?
In reply to mike earussi, Jan 29, 2013

mike earussi wrote:

Usee wrote:

-

P.S.:

-- hide signature --

Uli

At your suggestion I downloaded Panorama Studio Pro and tried it on a pano I was having trouble rendering correctly in ICE. I do find it relatively easier to use than some of the other "professional" pano stitching programs I've tried, thought not quite as easy to use as ICE. But unfortunately it still had trouble with my pano, having as many (though different), if not more, stitching errors than ICE. And so my search for the perfect stitching program continues.

Sorry to hear that Your problem couldn't be solved as expected,

however mine was better solved with PanoramaStudio Pro than with Autopano Pro which is suggested by several people here...

...it depends - as always.

-- hide signature --

Uli

mike earussi
Like?
In reply to Usee, Jan 29, 2013

Usee wrote:

mike earussi wrote:

Usee wrote:

-

P.S.:

-- hide signature --

Uli

At your suggestion I downloaded Panorama Studio Pro and tried it on a pano I was having trouble rendering correctly in ICE. I do find it relatively easier to use than some of the other "professional" pano stitching programs I've tried, thought not quite as easy to use as ICE. But unfortunately it still had trouble with my pano, having as many (though different), if not more, stitching errors than ICE. And so my search for the perfect stitching program continues.

however mine was better solved with PanoramaStudio Pro than with Autopano Pro which is suggested by several people here...

-- hide signature --

Uli

Yeah, I've tried Autopano several times and have had much better results with ICE. But then I tend to run very large panos in the .5-1.5 gp range and they're not always perfectly level so I occasionally have problems with stitching.

Usee
Like?
In reply to mike earussi, Jan 29, 2013

mike earussi wrote:

Usee wrote:

mike earussi wrote:

Usee wrote:

-

P.S.:

-- hide signature --

Uli

-- hide signature --

Uli

Yeah, I've tried Autopano several times and have had much better results with ICE. But then I tend to run very large panos in the .5-1.5 gp range and they're not always perfectly level so I occasionally have problems with stitching.

Hmmm,

a little suggestion:

Have You optimized the preferences within PanoramaStudio Pro before You tried to solve Your pano problem?

If not, You could try to change the default settings for iteration depth and minimum tile size (I don't know the exact names within the english version) - but I'm pretty sure that the program is able to make Your pano as intended...

...if nothing helps, just drop me Your files and I'll give it a try (next weekend).

-- hide signature --

Uli

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads