OM-D E-M5 vs. Nikon D3200 macro test using Olympus 60mm F2.8 and Nikon 85mm F3.5VR

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions
AndrewNewYork
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?
OM-D E-M5 vs. Nikon D3200 macro test using Olympus 60mm F2.8 and Nikon 85mm F3.5VR
Jan 28, 2013

For anybody who is interested in these lenses I did a quick test between them.  I am not an expert in macro and I didn’t want to use a tripod. I was hoping for 1:1 macro in these images. So I set the lens to 1:1 and manually focused by moving the camera. All hand-held jpg re-sized 50% down for upload. All shot in Aperture mode. Test shots outdoors in the distance are very good for both. Exposure is too dark on Olympus in macro shots. Obviously the Olympus has a smaller sensor than Nikon. So F8 on Olympus is equal to F16 on full frame.

Nikon top, Olympus bottom

corner detail

AndrewNewYork's gear list:AndrewNewYork's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +6 more
Nikon D3200 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AndrewNewYork
Like?
Re: OM-D E-M5 vs. Nikon D3200 macro test using Olympus 60mm F2.8 and Nikon 85mm F3.5VR
In reply to AndrewNewYork, Jan 28, 2013

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AndrewNewYork
Like?
Re: OM-D E-M5 vs. Nikon D3200 macro test using Olympus 60mm F2.8 and Nikon 85mm F3.5VR

AndrewNewYork
Like?

test outside - both look very sharp

Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?

AndrewNewYork wrote:

For anybody who is interested in these lenses I did a quick test between them. I am not an expert in macro and I didn’t want to use a tripod. I was hoping for 1:1 macro in these images. So I set the lens to 1:1 and manually focused by moving the camera. All hand-held jpg re-sized 50% down for upload. All shot in Aperture mode. Test shots outdoors in the distance are very good for both. Exposure is too dark on Olympus in macro shots. Obviously the Olympus has a smaller sensor than Nikon. So F8 on Olympus is equal to F16 on full frame.

Andrew, thanks for all of this and in particular the samples from the 85 3.5 microN, seems a nice lens. From this and the other samples it appears at the lower iso the d3200 is ahead, much more from a 24mp perspective than anything but ahead, the dof is also more pleasing on the Nikon, again subjective, but as a omd owner I am being very honest here. I am thinking of adding the d5200 but see very little love at present for it, which is surprising seeing as the features are a major step-up from the d3200, time lapse looks particulary useful. What is it you are trying to demonstrate though overal, is the d3200 simple too big and you want a pocketable package? in which case the only time any csc can really be pocketable is with a pancake lens? the redced weight is definately there and for me, going back to an ovf is not something I would relish, evf in the main is far superior to ovf, with levels, histo's and magnifier not to mention video all available through the evf.

Note: for the nikon, f11 seems a good performance area too, f8 being a bit better and f5.6 optimum center sharp?

http://www.lenstip.com/285.4-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_DX_Micro_85_mm_f_3.5G_ED_VR_Image_resolution.html

Nikon top, Olympus bottom

corner detail

AndrewNewYork
Like?
In reply to Adventsam, Jan 28, 2013

I just bought Olympus OMD with a bunch of lenses to try it out against my Nikon. This is a comparison for anyone who is looking to buy a macro lens for either Olympus or Nikon. Both lenses are good. I am trying to show if Olympus can match Nikon lens.

As of now, I am using 2 systems Olympus and Nikon. Olympus is so light I can carry it with me all day, everywhere. Nikon is better but so heavy it stays at home.

As the saying goes, the best camera is the one you have with you at the time you need to use it

steveTQP
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
In reply to AndrewNewYork, 7 months ago

AndrewNewYork wrote:

I just bought Olympus OMD with a bunch of lenses to try it out against my Nikon. This is a comparison for anyone who is looking to buy a macro lens for either Olympus or Nikon. Both lenses are good. I am trying to show if Olympus can match Nikon lens.

As of now, I am using 2 systems Olympus and Nikon. Olympus is so light I can carry it with me all day, everywhere. Nikon is better but so heavy it stays at home.

As the saying goes, the best camera is the one you have with you at the time you need to use it

First let me thank you for taking the time and effort to make this comparison! I use the Nikon D5200 with two very sharp Nikkors, the 16-85 and the 35mm f/1.8. Having had experience with m4/3 several years back (a Panasonic G2 with the very nice and sharp Panasonic 20mm f/1.7), I was pleased with the image quality of m4/3 as long as I didn't enlarge beyond 8x10 or so. That was the main reason I went with the Nikon kit, as I can now print to at least 20x30 with very good results. That said, I've always admired Olympus, especially their lenses! And now, with the new OM-D EM1, the Oly 12-40 f/2.8 and the Oly 60mm Macro, I am intrigued my m4/3 once again.

As for this comparison test, I strongly feel that it would be more valid if a tripod was used, mainly because that would eliminate any image degradation due to hand movement, and would show the optimum sharpness attainable with your kit. I've read some stellar reviews of the Oly 60mm macro in terms of pure sharpness, so am very interested to see how it (on the new EM1) compares to, say, the Nikon D5200 and Nikkor 105 f/2.8. I also wonder how much improved the 16MP sensor is on the EM1 in terms of maximum print size, but then again, it's still a 4/3 sensor.

Thank you,

Steve

-- hide signature --

Steve Solomon
steve@totalqualityphoto.com

steveTQP's gear list:steveTQP's gear list
Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads